Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.

+17
TheReal_LWS
MSU addict
GRR Spartan
Blanch32
tTy
Turtleneck
WhiteBoyHatcher
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
Dr. Strangelove
duffy munn
By-Tor
Jake from State Farm
Other Teams Pursuing That
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
DWags
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.

Post by MSU addict 2016-10-27, 10:34

GRR Spartan wrote:
By-Tor wrote:So Gores will just pay rent to Ilitch and it will be a better financial decision than staying at the Palace that he owns? Bill Davidson must be rolling in his grave.

When Bill Davidson built the Palace the Ilitch family had options on land and architectural drawings in the works to build a new Little Ceasars HQ complex in the suburbs similar to Dominoe Farms. All that changed when they bought the Tigers in '92 and started looking for land for a new baseball stadium. The Ilitch's used their clout as Red Wings owners and JLA's operating managers and major tennant to get the approvals to build Comerica Park and part of that deal was relocating Little Ceasars HQ to the Fox Theater.

Makes a lot of sense for Gores to pay rent so the Pistons can return to Detroit for the Pistons' ledger. But i remember seeing some numbers after Gores had purchased the Pistons and Davidson's entertainment business/venues during the NBA strike that Piston attendance was so bad scheduling more concerts at the Palace could be more profitable because Gores wasn't paying Piston player salaries. Once the strike was settled all the salary costs were back along with costs of flipping between concerts and basketball.
In all likelihood the Palace will be torn down soon after the move. And the Piston's are going to move.

The venue of choice for any major act will become Little Caesar's Arena, the Palace's concert business will be almost eliminated. Hence his desire to sell the Palace to Oakland County - with the hook that the Piston's will stay there for 25 years.

It would have been beyond idiotic for Oakland County to buy the Palace based on the numbers thrown out. They would not have even covered their financing costs.

Gores got a steal when he bought the Pistons. What he paid for the Pistons and PS&E was about half of what the Pistons were worth.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.

Post by Guest 2016-10-27, 10:43

And if Gores is telling the truth in all his interviews he's not going to Little Caesar's as a tenant. He's said repeatedly he would only go as a partner.

So if he tears the Palace down and redevelops that property he'll do well on both ends. Then the soccer stadium in the same area with Gilbert and he'll have his finger firmly in the Detroit pie.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-10-27, 10:53

LooseGoose wrote:So if he tears the Palace down and redevelops that property he'll do well on both ends. Then the soccer stadium in the same area with Gilbert and he'll have his finger firmly in the Detroit pie.
He is also reportedly going to build a 60,000 sq foot practice facility for the Piston's downtown.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-27, 11:13

Keep the Pistons in Auburn Hills. Downtown Detroit is friggin awful.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-27, 11:14

P.S. Oakland County could have had the Silverdome for $583,000.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-10-27, 11:16

TheReal_LWS wrote:Keep the Pistons in Auburn Hills. Downtown Detroit is friggin awful.
idiot
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-27, 11:18

DWags wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:Keep the Pistons in Auburn Hills. Downtown Detroit is friggin awful.
idiot

He's being the devil's advocate.. plus his favorite restaurants are Taco Bell and Olive Garden soo...
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-27, 11:21

When they play in Detroit I will have attended my last Pistons game.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-10-27, 11:27

TheReal_LWS wrote:P.S. Oakland County could have had the Silverdome for $583,000.

So could anyone else
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-10-27, 11:27

TheReal_LWS wrote:When they play in Detroit I will have attended my last Pistons game.

Well, bye.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-27, 11:52

TheReal_LWS wrote:When they play in Detroit I will have attended my last Pistons game.

Gores just cancelled all his plans.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-10-27, 12:35

Aren't a helluva lot of open dates at LCA if the Red Wings are sharing the building with the Pistons and there are a lot of concert goers who wouldn't complain about going to Aurburn Hills for performances.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-27, 12:55

GRR Spartan wrote:
By-Tor wrote:So Gores will just pay rent to Ilitch and it will be a better financial decision than staying at the Palace that he owns? Bill Davidson must be rolling in his grave.

When Bill Davidson built the Palace the Ilitch family had options on land and architectural drawings in the works to build a new Little Ceasars HQ complex in the suburbs similar to Dominoe Farms. All that changed when they bought the Tigers in '92 and started looking for land for a new baseball stadium. The Ilitch's used their clout as Red Wings owners and JLA's operating managers and major tennant to get the approvals to build Comerica Park and part of that deal was relocating Little Ceasars HQ to the Fox Theater.

Makes a lot of sense for Gores to pay rent so the Pistons can return to Detroit for the Pistons' ledger. But i remember seeing some numbers after Gores had purchased the Pistons and Davidson's entertainment business/venues during the NBA strike that Piston attendance was so bad scheduling more concerts at the Palace could be more profitable because Gores wasn't paying Piston player salaries. Once the strike was settled all the salary costs were back along with costs of flipping between concerts and basketball.

This. they probably make more for concerts
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-10-27, 13:57

There aren't that many concerts or events to schedule. Detroit is a major market it's not like bands are skipping the area. Also, how many dates did they lose out to JLA? A handful at best.

However, with the new LCA they would be facing new and major competition for concert/event dates. That means offering better deals to the acts which hits the bottom line. They probably ran the numbers and figured we'll just get out of that business altogether.

I'm sure it's going to take a good deal to bring the Pistons downtown - probably some sort of limited partnership.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-27, 14:25

Dr. Strangelove wrote:There aren't that many concerts or events to schedule. Detroit is a major market it's not like bands are skipping the area. Also, how many dates did they lose out to JLA? A handful at best.

However, with the new LCA they would be facing new and major competition for concert/event dates. That means offering better deals to the acts which hits the bottom line. They probably ran the numbers and figured we'll just get out of that business altogether.

I'm sure it's going to take a good deal to bring the Pistons downtown - probably some sort of limited partnership.

At the minimum. Gores didn't get where he's at by making bad deals.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-10-27, 15:16

Pistons to LCA for the '17 season ties up 41 dates and moving in the basketball court with some addional courtside seating. Lighting and sound require minimum changes.

Adding 41 or more concert dates to the Palace is doable because JLA will be torn down in '17. It's a helluva lot of more man hours to flip LCA from an NHL venue to a concert venue with stage/lighting/sound changes.
Conversely it's easier for the Palace to book concerts that would have gone to JLA if they aren't having to continually making the flip from NBA to concerts.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-27, 15:19

GRR Spartan wrote:Pistons to LCA for the '17 season ties up 41 dates and moving in the basketball court with some addional courtside seating. Lighting and sound require minimum changes.

Adding 41 or more concert dates to the Palace is doable because JLA will be torn down in '17. It's a helluva lot of more man hours to flip LCA from an NHL venue to a concert venue with stage/lighting/sound changes.
Conversely it's easier for the Palace to book concerts that would have gone to JLA if they aren't having to continually making the flip from NBA to concerts.

Don't forget playoffs. This team is on the verge of competing for a championship.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-27, 15:23

TheReal_LWS wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Pistons to LCA for the '17 season ties up 41 dates and moving in the basketball court with some addional courtside seating. Lighting and sound require minimum changes.

Don't forget playoffs. This team is on the verge of competing for a championship.

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 3434560931 Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 3434560931 Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 3434560931
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-27, 15:50

all I want to know is where is the shock and vipers playing?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-21, 11:39

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2016/11/21/detroit-pistons-downtown-arena/94215932/
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-21, 11:41

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2016/11/21/detroit-pistons-downtown-arena/94215932/

HUGE HUGE HUGE

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 3493939353

This franchise is about be a serious contender for years again if this young core pans out trav.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-21, 11:41

How soon can it happen?!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-21, 11:45

Next year
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-21, 11:47

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Next year

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 1f64c
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2016-11-21, 12:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Next year

Everybody raise your hands UP!
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-11-21, 13:00

Wasn't condensation an issue with basketball teams playing over ice rinks? I take it someone has figured out a way to keep moisture off the court?

Edit: I'm asking b/c I don't pay close enough attention to the NBA.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-21, 13:01

Rodeo Burger wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Everybody raise your hands UP!

Get your fuckin' hands up!!! Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 502811600

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  - Page 2 Tumblr_niqjjcfsNR1u2uymso1_500

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-11-21, 13:14

tGreenWay wrote:Wasn't condensation an issue with basketball teams playing over ice rinks? I take it someone has figured out a way to keep moisture off the court?

Saw a stat a few years ago that the pistons were one of only 4 teams in the NBA that has their own arena... So I'm guessing it's all good
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-21, 13:24

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Wasn't condensation an issue with basketball teams playing over ice rinks? I take it someone has figured out a way to keep moisture off the court?

Saw a stat a few years ago that the pistons were one of only 4 teams in the NBA that has their own arena... So I'm guessing it's all good

Yeah, Detroit and Phoenix are the only two cities that have four major sports where they all have their own arenas. Slippery courts isn't an issue
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-11-21, 13:30

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Good to know. Last time I heard about water on the court issues was MSG years ago. I just haven't paid attention since then. I also had no idea there were so many NHL/NBA combined arenas. Thanks for the info.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-11-21, 13:31

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Yeah, Detroit and Phoenix are the only two cities that have four major sports where they all have their own arenas. Slippery courts isn't an issue

I already got my question answered from CB. There are no points for second place.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-21, 13:35

tGreenWay wrote:

I already got my question answered from CB. There are no points for second place.

I added more information to his post. Suck my dick greenway. Seriously. If you wouldn't ask stupid fucking questions in the first place none of this would be a problem.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-11-21, 13:42

The love quotient in this place is really dropping. I blame Steve's return, he set Cameron off and it's all been downhill from there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-21, 13:57

LooseGoose wrote:The love quotient in this place is really dropping. I blame Steve's return, he set Cameron off and it's all been downhill from there.

Greenways still a touch pissy because I called his wife a wild animal that I had sex with. He's a bit of a special snowflake.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-11-21, 14:03

tGreenWay wrote:

I added more information to his post. Suck my dick greenway. Seriously. If you wouldn't ask stupid fucking questions in the first place none of this would be a problem.

It figures you'd try to slide through on CB's coattails. You're still a great big huge whopping number two. Stinks, doesn't it?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-11-21, 14:04

LooseGoose wrote:The love quotient in this place is really dropping. I blame Steve's return, he set Cameron off and it's all been downhill from there.

Fcuking Steve. Notice he showed up right after UK beat the Spartans?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-21, 14:59

In the name of swill love..... I just picked up 4 tickets to the last regular season game at the palace for $12 each on stubhubs. Considering buying more to sell later once the price goes up. There are a lot available for now though.

This is a swill insider exclusive. Don't tell your friends to go buy up tickets. But since only 7 people post here I thought I'd make the other 6 aware that those tickets can still be had for cheap for now.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-11-21, 15:03

Travis can I go with you? :)
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-21, 15:04

Who do they play Travis?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-11-21, 15:04

This will kind of be like the last game at Tiger Stadium.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next