Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-08-25, 15:05

The Pantry wrote:Checked out a new restaurant on Rochester Rd called Village Cafe. Located in a strip center unit that has been a few different restaurants over the years including a place that specialized in soups. Most recently was a Dickey's BBQ that went OOB.

Interesting hours. Only open 7:30am to 2:30pm for breakfast and lunch.

Ordered carryout...Mexican Breakfast Bowl. Went to pick up. Not the greatest ambiance (had wagon wheel lights on the ceiling I think were leftover from Dickeys) but looked clean. Seemed to me they hadn't quite decided how to decorate the place before opening.

Maybe a dozen tables. Far more customers in the place than I'd ever seen in that unit before. Service was great even though I was only getting carryout. Very polite. Offered me a free coffee while waiting just a couple minutes before getting my order.

Food was very good. Will be going back to try their eggs benedict and crab benedict.

Went to a place on Fort Myers beach last year that had a crabby Benedict with eggs. That combo is delicious.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by The Pantry 2018-08-25, 15:48

Senior Dickfist wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Checked out a new restaurant on Rochester Rd called Village Cafe. Located in a strip center unit that has been a few different restaurants over the years including a place that specialized in soups. Most recently was a Dickey's BBQ that went OOB.

Interesting hours. Only open 7:30am to 2:30pm for breakfast and lunch.

Ordered carryout...Mexican Breakfast Bowl. Went to pick up. Not the greatest ambiance (had wagon wheel lights on the ceiling I think were leftover from Dickeys) but looked clean. Seemed to me they hadn't quite decided how to decorate the place before opening.

Maybe a dozen tables. Far more customers in the place than I'd ever seen in that unit before. Service was great even though I was only getting carryout. Very polite. Offered me a free coffee while waiting just a couple minutes before getting my order.

Food was very good. Will be going back to try their eggs benedict and crab benedict.

Went to a place on Fort Myers beach last year that had a crabby Benedict with eggs. That combo is delicious.
Excellent combo. Oddly, first time I recall having it was at a restaurant on Captiva Island near Fort Myers maybe 20 years ago.

Another great benedict is cold smoked salmon/lox. This new restaurant has a smoked salmon omelet on the menu but no lox benedict. Might request it after seeing how well they make hollandaise.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-09-02, 13:17

Went back to Village Cafe again today.  Got the smoked salmon omelet with asparagus, capers, and cream cheese.  Delicious.  @WBH, you gotta check the place out.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 Vc_smo10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-09-28, 21:19

The Pantry wrote:Ordered the Chicken Cream Chop (no idea why it's called that) lunch special at Al Kabob for the first time today. Have ordered the dish (breaded and deep fried) from a local Iraqi restaurant before and it was excellent...perfectly cooked and juicy.

Al Kabob's version was highly disappointing. First thing I've tried there that wasn't great. Chicken was pounded way too thin to be in the fryer as long as it was. Overly dark color and tasted burnt. Tried to eat it but had to stop because it was unpalatable, even after dipping in their delicious hommous. The leftovers.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 Al_kab10

Stopped by there on the way home after work and politely told them what I've said here. The young guy (early 20's) behind the counter was there when I picked up my order at lunch. He explained they have to make sure the chicken is cooked. He's seen me in there countless times. I asked for a beef kabob. He charged me for it.

Will be a little while before I go back there but will be having a chat with the owner when I do. He was there when I picked up lunch but not after work. He knows I'm a loyal customer, as well as some of my co-workers. He has personally delivered large catering orders to our place of business. He has made me stuff (raw kibbee, lamb burgers) that are no longer on his menu since he diverged from Beirut Palace.

Will be giving him advice on chicken cream chops. Thicker chicken, less breading, and don't overcook. He needs to try competitors.
Ordered the same dish from a place called Kabob Hut for lunch today. They fucked it up too but not quite as bad. Was definitely over done but didn't have a burnt taste. The Iraqi place called Baghdad still does it best.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-09-28, 22:02

I've had that chicken cream thing at this place on the NE corner of Ryan & 17. Can't remember the name of the place. I swear that the best damn piece of chicken I ever did eat anywhere.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-09-28, 22:20

Mods, please change the title from the cooking thread to the eating thread. Thanks a pantsful.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-09-28, 22:30

tGreenWay wrote:Mods, please change the title from the cooking thread to the eating thread. Thanks a pantsful.

Ehhh, stick a fork in it.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-09-28, 23:13

Floyd Robertson wrote:I've had that chicken cream thing at this place on the NE corner of Ryan & 17. Can't remember the name of the place. I swear that the best damn piece of chicken I ever did eat anywhere.
That's Baghdad Restaurant, the place I was referencing.  Kind of weird.  They have 3 locations all within a couple miles of each other...17 & Ryan, 15 & Ryan, and 17 & Dequindre.  Haven't been to any of them in a while.

They use to have a website but it's gone now.  Only online menus I've found

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 13fgy510

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 Uvheh510

The grilled combo for 2 is a great deal.  As I recall, they also have some great salads.  Gonna stop by there soon to pick up a carryout menu.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-09-28, 23:26

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Mods, please change the title from the cooking thread to the eating thread. Thanks a pantsful.

A rare slam from Floyd.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-09-28, 23:48

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Well done.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-09-28, 23:50

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Well done.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 502811600 Boo! Booooo!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-09-29, 05:57

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I've had that chicken cream thing at this place on the NE corner of Ryan & 17. Can't remember the name of the place. I swear that the best damn piece of chicken I ever did eat anywhere.
That's Baghdad Restaurant, the place I was referencing.  Kind of weird.  They have 3 locations all within a couple miles of each other...17 & Ryan, 15 & Ryan, and 17 & Dequindre.  Haven't been to any of them in a while.

They use to have a website but it's gone now.  Only online menus I've found

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 13fgy510

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 Uvheh510

The grilled combo for 2 is a great deal.  As I recall, they also have some great salads.  Gonna stop by there soon to pick up a carryout menu.

Place I'm talking about is Jasmin Mediterranean Grill.

Map
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-09-29, 08:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Map
Drive through that intersection usually once or twice a day. Never noticed that place. Will check it out. You said NE corner so I figured Baghdad.

There is also a meat shop called Baghdad on the NE corner. Went in there once. Much prefer Antonio's on the SE corner.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-09-29, 11:02

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Map
Drive through that intersection usually once or twice a day. Never noticed that place. Will check it out. You said NE corner so I figured Baghdad.

There is also a meat shop called Baghdad on the NE corner. Went in there once. Much prefer Antonio's on the SE corner.

Huh, I guess I did get the direction wrong. Very un-Floyd like. Sorry.

Antonio's rocks. Not the same since there was a fallout in the family and Pierre got the boot though. That was maybe 4-5 years ago.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-09-29, 12:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Drive through that intersection usually once or twice a day.  Never noticed that place.  Will check it out.  You said NE corner so I figured Baghdad.

There is also a meat shop called Baghdad on the NE corner.  Went in there once.  Much prefer Antonio's on the SE corner.

Antonio's rocks. Not the same since there was a fallout in the family and Pierre got the boot though. That was maybe 4-5 years ago.
First went to Antonio's in the mid 80's.  Seemed like a nice Italian grocery store with a good meat counter.  That place was usually packed on weekends.  Didn't go there often enough to get to know anyone.  No idea who Pierre is/was.

Correct me if wrong but from what I understand now, the place is not owned by Italians.  Middle Eastern?  Still a nice, convenient place to shop.  Very helpful behind the meat and deli counters.  Hitting that place after work is a breeze because rarely are there more than 3-4 other customers in the store.

Have not seen her in a few months but they had a smoking hot brunette working the checkout counter. Perfect rack.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-09-29, 12:55

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

First went to Antonio's in the mid 80's.  Seemed like a nice Italian grocery store with a good meat counter.  That place was usually packed on weekends.  Didn't go there often enough to get to know anyone.  No idea who Pierre is/was.

Correct me if wrong but from what I understand now, the place is not owned by Italians.  Middle Eastern?  Still a nice, convenient place to shop.  Very helpful behind the meat and deli counters.  Hitting that place after work is a breeze because rarely are there more than 3-4 other customers in the store.

Have not seen her in a few months but they had a smoking hot brunette working the checkout counter. Perfect rack.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 502811600

I know that rack. Not as well as I'd like, but I know who you're referring to.

I'm not sure if they are the original owners. Pierre was Tony's (Antonio) brother. There were three brothers that rand the place, with Tony being the primary owner the way I understand it. Tony got cancer 6-7 years ago and Pierre was running the day-to-day operation. Tony wasn't pleased with some of the aspects of Pierre's management.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-09-29, 20:59

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Have not seen her in a few months but they had a smoking hot brunette working the checkout counter.  Perfect rack.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 502811600

I know that rack. Not as well as I'd like, but I know who you're referring to.

I'm not sure if they are the original owners. Pierre was Tony's (Antonio) brother. There were three brothers that rand the place, with Tony being the primary owner the way I understand it. Tony got cancer 6-7 years ago and Pierre was running the day-to-day operation. Tony wasn't pleased with some of the aspects of Pierre's management.
Will press the source that told me the place was not Italian owned.

Back to the rack.

Spectacular, especially with the teaser tops she wears.  Not too big and obviously real.  Exotic olive skin tone that undoubtedly continues on below her silky cleavage...beautiful face but very difficult to maintain eye contact.  Can't tell if she's Italian or Middle Eastern.  Could be Greek.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-06, 18:34

Stopped at Alie's Lebanese Grill today for the first time.  Very nice place with a pretty cool bar area.  Got the raw kibbee for carryout.  Best restaurant kibbee I've tried.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 20181010
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-10, 23:27

"Original" Anchor Bar franchise opened in Rochester at Rochester Rd/Auburn in the Target plaza. I was craving wings so my son and I popped in there after basketball practice. Man, they must triple fry those things. They were just ok. I ordered 5 "hot" and 5 with cajun dry rub. I might pick up carry out from there if I'm craving again or want to try some of the other rubs or sauces but I didn't think it was anything that special. I'm sure it does not compare to the OG in Buffalo regardless.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-21, 22:29

I have weird stories.

When you have K-5 kids, you have 'Skate Night' 2x/year. Fundraiser. It's fucking wild. I mean holy time warp. Kids love it, though. And I like to shoot the duck.

One of the other school fams that we are closest with - had Skate World night the night after we did. She literally lost her balance during the stupid 'Lucky Star' shit and fell backwards. Broke both wrists, required surgery. Horrifying.

TL;DR - you want food? I got you. Made some good looking pulled pork and delivered it yesterday during halftime. I have leftovers.

I made a Detroit style pizza dough. 8 square. I haven't eaten since about 9 am. I'm going to do half bbq pork pizza and half regular pepperoni.

50/50 I fall asleep before I actually make this pizza.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-21, 22:59

Was never good on either roller skates or blades.  Always hated school skate nights but had to go because the wyff was one of the organizers and I had to be there to keep an eye on our kids.  Never witnessed an injury.

Don't fall asleep with the oven on.  The pizza from Holiday was pretty damn good yesterday.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 Holida10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-21, 23:12

cheers

No cock-a-roaches?

Don't know if you got bread but I think the best thing I've ever had there is the Holiday bread with cheese. Yummm....

So here is my pre-bake pic. Half 1 is pepp layer 1, brick cheese layer 2, tomato basil sauce layer 3, and more pepp layer 4.

Half 2 is sliced ham layer 1, pulled pork layer 1.5, brick cheese layer 2, Stubb's sweet heat bbq sauce layer 3, pineapple and some more pork layer 4.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 30544831227_43627c09b7_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-21, 23:35

Was thinking about the cockroach episode but got over the fear and did it anyway.

Interesting pie you got going there.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-23, 19:18

Been a few months since having a pasty so swung by Weldon's at 15 & Dequindre after work. Highly bummed to discover the place closed for good. Apparently their Livonia location is still open.

Really sucks. Now I have to drive all the way to Clawson (Barb's) for a hot pasty. Might try Uncle Peter's one of these days but that's even farther out of the way.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-26, 19:59

Take back what I said about Alie's kibbee being the best.

Ordered carryout from Al Kabob's for lunch today.  Gave them explicit instructions to make it extra spicy and let the cayenne flow.  Awesome

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 20181011
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2018-10-26, 20:19

Made an apple crisp last night. Yum
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-26, 20:51

I don't eat raw kibbee but my parents do. My mom is whiter than snow but my Dad's mom and sisters taught her to make most traditional Lebanese dishes. 

A few weeks ago they were both really sick for a few days. I asked my mom what happened and she said food poisoning. I asked how. Well my Dad goes to some shop in Eastern market to buy legs of lamb and get it ground when my mom is gonna make something. Apparently he went and got the lamb ground, and then on the way home he stopped at the gym or something for a couple of hours and left it in the car. Then my mom made raw kibbee not knowing about his little pit stop. 

pale The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 1401550746
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-26, 21:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't eat raw kibbee but my parents do. My mom is whiter than snow but my Dad's mom and sisters taught her to make most traditional Lebanese dishes. 

A few weeks ago they were both really sick for a few days. I asked my mom what happened and she said food poisoning. I asked how. Well my Dad goes to some shop in Eastern market to buy legs of lamb and get it ground when my mom is gonna make something. Apparently he went and got the lamb ground, and then on the way home he stopped at the gym or something for a couple of hours and left it in the car. Then my mom made raw kibbee not knowing about his little pit stop. 

pale The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 1401550746
Strange story. How could your dad not know better?

Or, did he do it purposely? Twisted Evil
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-26, 21:39

He's getting old man. And he's old school. He might have thought about it and been like that's bullshit, we'll be fine.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-26, 21:42

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:He's getting old man. And he's old school. He might have thought about it and been like that's bullshit, we'll be fine.
Did he eat the kibbee?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-26, 21:46

Yep, he got sick, too. I mean it's pretty ridiculous.  The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 502811600
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-26, 21:55

Again, strange. Has he been checked for Alzheimer's?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-26, 22:02

Dude seriously?? My dad is pushing 80 and lived the first 14 years of his life in a 3rd world country. He also has had my Mom cook 95% of the meals during their married life. I'm pretty sure he's not up on USDA proper meat prep procedures. He's pretty much at the IDGAF stage. And that's always been his personality anyway to be honest. Always thinks he knows better.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-26, 22:08

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Dude seriously?? My dad is pushing 80 and lived the first 14 years of his life in a 3rd world country. He also has had my Mom cook 95% of the meals during their married life. I'm pretty sure he's not up on USDA proper meat prep procedures. He's pretty much at the IDGAF stage. And that's always been his personality anyway to be honest. Always thinks he knows better.
"Stopped at the gym" pushing 80?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-26, 22:17

Yep. That's my Dad. Lifted himself onto the EMU football team from HFCC. Religious about his workouts, always thinks he knows better than the Drs, pretty goddamned deaf but sound of mind and stubborn as an ox. I didn't mean to start a grand inquisition into his personality, I just thought the story was funny.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-26, 22:38

Sounds like a great dude, except for leaving fresh ground lamb in the car.

btw. In case you didn't see the other thread...I'm an asshole. jocolor

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-10-26, 22:40

No offense taken. I'm sure you get it, he's an old country, old dude. He can barely send a text message. He's not on the same wavelength as people like you and I who enjoy and understand the nuances of cooking meat to perfect temperatures, etc. Add in the old school stubbornness and sometimes all you can do is  The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 21 294152859
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-10-27, 00:12

Sounds like my ex-FIL (RIP). No one stubborn like an old OTB guido. Many stories...some hysterically funny.

Dad passed a few years before I met my ex and got married. Always wondered how he and my FIL would have gotten along. That would have been entertaining.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-10-27, 18:13

Jake from State Farm wrote:Made an apple crisp last night. Yum

I've made a Cherry Crisp and an Apple Crisp in the last couple weeks. Been experimenting with baking using low cal ingredients. Substituting unsweetened applesauce for butter and Splenda for Sugar. They turned out OK, still have some work to do on the crispy top.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-11-07, 21:55

Three of my four kids use to work at Joe Kool's next to the Troy Sports Center.  Place had been closed for months for remodeling and just reopened Monday.  Met the kids there for dinner tonight to check it out.  

They changed everything...even moved the bar.  Place is a bit brighter than it use to be.  Nice but we all thought the place has lost some of its charm.  Menu is pretty much the same as before...very good bar food.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next