Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No one knows how advanced AI works

+9
Turtleneck
By-Tor
The Pantry
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
DWags
Nordic
SawGreen
Watch Out Pylon!
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No one knows how advanced AI works Empty No one knows how advanced AI works

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-15, 08:59

Countdown to Judgement Day. No one knows how advanced AI works 3775540924

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/604087/the-dark-secret-at-the-heart-of-ai/?set=607864
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

No one knows how advanced AI works Empty Re: No one knows how advanced AI works

Post by SawGreen 2017-05-15, 10:33

That is frightening.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-15, 15:58

Putting on the tinfoil hat...

Google Industry 4.0.  

There are major changes coming that I think most people are completely oblivious to. And the autonomous vehicle (and it's technology) is one of the big drivers. If you don't plan on retiring in the next 10-15 you better understand what Industry 4.0 is and how it will impact you.  Because the job you are doing right now, will probably be done by a computer in the near future.

Processing power doubles with respect to cost every 18 months.  By 2050 (or before) a single computer will be able to perform the task of all the humans on the Earth. So if you just graduated from college with an accounting degree and think you're going to retire as a CPA... you might want to rethink that. And you can pretty much do this exercise for just about every profession.  

The smart degrees right now are computer programming, engineers, robotics and medical.  Even medical will be taken over by artificial thinkers at some point (maybe not in our lifetimes).

If you have kids, they will probably be the last generation to get a drivers license.  And if you have kids <5, odds are they will probably never drive car. Autonomous vehicles are coming faster than people think. Uber and Lyft didn't set their business model on hiring human drivers.  Google is getting into this space for a reason as well.  Kids now-a-days don't want to drive and soon won't have to. They are also not driven by status symbols like cars and money as much as they are by electronics and being connected. The auto industry is one of the main drivers for Industry 4.0.  The technology being developed will start to spill over into every profession... and not just truck drivers, forklift drivers, package delivery, etc.  Can a computer do your job or task?  The answer is probably yes, even if you don't want to admit it.

If you really want to go down the worm hole, check out this guys predictions.  Skip down to 2099 section where your grand kids will part cyborg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil

Krazy Kurzweil wrote:
Kurzweil writes (in 1999) that by 2010 a supercomputer will have the computational capacity to emulate human intelligence[39] and "by around 2020" this same capacity will be available "for one thousand dollars".[12] After that milestone he expects human brain scanning to contribute to an effective model of human intelligence "by the mid-2020s".[40] These two elements will culminate in computers that can pass the Turing test by 2029.[41] By the early 2030s the amount of non-biological computation will exceed the "capacity of all living biological human intelligence"......

Kurzweil says that a machine will pass the Turing test by 2029, and that around 2045, "the pace of change will be so astonishingly quick that we won't be able to keep up, unless we enhance our own intelligence by merging with the intelligent machines we are creating". Kurzweil states that humans will be a hybrid of biological and non-biological intelligence that becomes increasingly dominated by its non-biological component.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-15, 16:51

Nordic wrote:Putting on the tinfoil hat...

Google Industry 4.0.  

There are major changes coming that I think most people are completely oblivious to. And the autonomous vehicle (and it's technology) is one of the big drivers. If you don't plan on retiring in the next 10-15 you better understand what Industry 4.0 is and how it will impact you.  Because the job you are doing right now, will probably be done by a computer in the near future.

Processing power doubles with respect to cost every 18 months.  By 2050 (or before) a single computer will be able to perform the task of all the humans on the Earth. So if you just graduated from college with an accounting degree and think you're going to retire as a CPA... you might want to rethink that. And you can pretty much do this exercise for just about every profession.  

The smart degrees right now are computer programming, engineers, robotics and medical.  Even medical will be taken over by artificial thinkers at some point (maybe not in our lifetimes).

If you have kids, they will probably be the last generation to get a drivers license.  And if you have kids <5, odds are they will probably never drive car. Autonomous vehicles are coming faster than people think. Uber and Lyft didn't set their business model on hiring human drivers.  Google is getting into this space for a reason as well.  Kids now-a-days don't want to drive and soon won't have to. They are also not driven by status symbols like cars and money as much as they are by electronics and being connected. The auto industry is one of the main drivers for Industry 4.0.  The technology being developed will start to spill over into every profession... and not just truck drivers, forklift drivers, package delivery, etc.  Can a computer do your job or task?  The answer is probably yes, even if you don't want to admit it.

If you really want to go down the worm hole, check out this guys predictions.  Skip down to 2099 section where your grand kids will part cyborg

Krazy Kurzweil wrote:
Kurzweil writes (in 1999) that by 2010 a supercomputer will have the computational capacity to emulate human intelligence[39] and "by around 2020" this same capacity will be available "for one thousand dollars".[12] After that milestone he expects human brain scanning to contribute to an effective model of human intelligence "by the mid-2020s".[40] These two elements will culminate in computers that can pass the Turing test by 2029.[41] By the early 2030s the amount of non-biological computation will exceed the "capacity of all living biological human intelligence"......

Kurzweil says that a machine will pass the Turing test by 2029, and that around 2045, "the pace of change will be so astonishingly quick that we won't be able to keep up, unless we enhance our own intelligence by merging with the intelligent machines we are creating". Kurzweil states that humans will be a hybrid of biological and non-biological intelligence that becomes increasingly dominated by its non-biological component.

Glad I'm 55. I don't get how it's all going to work. Put enough people out of jobs with a computer and who buys the driverless cars? Who needs accountants if nobody has jobs? I don't get this so I'm hopi g somebody can theorize how this all works.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-15, 16:56

DWags wrote:

Google Industry 4.0.  

Glad I'm 55. I don't get how it's all going to work. Put enough people out of jobs with a computer and who buys the driverless cars? Who needs accountants if nobody has jobs? I don't get this so I'm hopi g somebody can theorize how this all works.
No one knows how advanced AI works Neo-wakes-up

We'll be super efficient batteries someday.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-15, 17:18

The people going down this road really haven't thought it through, DWags. They just want To be the first to get there, damn the consequences to the human race.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-15, 17:46

I'd rather have AI in charge than Trump. All Hail Skynet mitherfuckers.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-15, 17:49

Floyd Robertson wrote:The people going down this road really haven't thought it through, DWags. They just want To be the first to get there, damn the consequences to the human race.

I agree. It will fuck with the economy not always in a positive way.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-15, 18:26

Build a kill switch into every AI computer/machine No one knows how advanced AI works 2599972566
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-15, 19:50

The Pantry wrote:Build a kill switch into every AI computer/machine No one knows how advanced AI works 2599972566

Machine learning, which is already happening (see the link in the OP). What if they learn how to disable the kill switch?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-15, 19:56

DWags wrote:

Google Industry 4.0.  

I like to think what we do will evolve. Our jobs will be different, more technical and complex.

I'm on that edge. I understand it now, but it will pass me by quickly. I know it and my goal is to be retired in 10 years so I don't have to worry about it. That should be right about the time shit gets weird.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-15, 19:59

Spooky...

As I was typing the last post a commercial for Year Million on NatGeo @ 9pm. Supposed to be about AI and or transformation into bots.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-15, 20:01

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Build a kill switch into every AI computer/machine No one knows how advanced AI works 2599972566

Machine learning, which is already happening (see the link in the OP). What if they learn how to disable the kill switch?
Get what you're saying but will probably be a very long time before an electrical device is smart enough to prevent itself from being unplugged from its consciousness.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-15, 20:07

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Get what you're saying but will probably be a very long time before an electrical device is smart enough to prevent itself from being unplugged from its consciousness.

See the second paragraph in my initial post.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-15, 20:15

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Get what you're saying but will probably be a very long time before an electrical device is smart enough to prevent itself from being unplugged from its consciousness.

Not sure what you're getting at. Googled "Google Industry 4.0" but didn't find anything incriminating. Should I try using Bing?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-15, 20:38

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Not sure what you're getting at.  Googled "Google Industry 4.0" but didn't find anything incriminating.  Should I try using Bing?  

Sorry, I meant this one....

...Processing power doubles with respect to cost every 18 months.  By 2050 (or before) a single computer will be able to perform the task of all the humans on the Earth.....
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-15, 22:10

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Not sure what you're getting at.  Googled "Google Industry 4.0" but didn't find anything incriminating.  Should I try using Bing?  

...Processing power doubles with respect to cost every 18 months.  By 2050 (or before) a single computer will be able to perform the task of all the humans on the Earth.....
Do you have a link or is this your own proclamation?

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-15, 22:36

Nordic wrote:Spooky...

As I was typing the last post a commercial for Year Million on NatGeo @ 9pm. Supposed to be about AI and or transformation into bots.

Yikes. That show was exactly what I was talking about.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-15, 22:42

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Do you have a link or is this your own proclamation?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

http://www.singularity.com/charts/page70.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/moore-s-law-keeps-going-defying-expectations/
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2017-05-16, 12:01

How will the simple things in life be affected?    An ice cream cone on a Sunday afternoon.    The sound of a baseball hitting a wooden bat.   A hometown parade. The softness of a woman's inner thigh.  That's the kind of stuff I care more about as I hit middle age.  If any of that mumbo jumbo above  is true then I will seek a small town Main Street America lifestyle in my golden years.     Where everybody knows your name.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-16, 13:16

I could not be less worried about something than I am about AI.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-16, 13:31

By-Tor wrote:How will the simple things in life be affected?    An ice cream cone on a Sunday afternoon.    The sound of a baseball hitting a wooden bat.   A hometown parade. The softness of a woman's inner thigh.  That's the kind of stuff I care more about as I hit middle age.  If any of that mumbo jumbo above  is true then I will seek a small town Main Street America lifestyle in my golden years.     Where everybody knows your name.

Thing is, how do we do all that with no jobs?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-16, 13:32

Rocinante wrote:I could not be less worried about something than I am about AI.

Well, he has been retired since something like 2010.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-16, 14:16

DWags wrote:
By-Tor wrote:How will the simple things in life be affected?    An ice cream cone on a Sunday afternoon.    The sound of a baseball hitting a wooden bat.   A hometown parade. The softness of a woman's inner thigh.  That's the kind of stuff I care more about as I hit middle age.  If any of that mumbo jumbo above  is true then I will seek a small town Main Street America lifestyle in my golden years.     Where everybody knows your name.

Thing is, how do we do all that with no jobs?

We're already rapidly approaching a need for a basic income. Capitalism is failing man.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-05-16, 14:23

Old people need not worry. We'll be dead and it will be up to the Millennials and their kids to figure out.

We will probably be the last generation to actually die (that kinda sucks...we just missed immortality).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-16, 14:33

Nordic wrote:

Old people need not worry.  We'll be dead and it will be up to the Millennials and their kids to figure out.

We will probably be the last generation to actually die (that kinda sucks...we just missed immortality).

Don't worry. Our kids will be able to reboot us.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-28, 07:12

Watch a couple of Zeynep Tufekci's TED talks and it underscores that no one knows how the black boxes of neural network/logistic regression we're building actually work in the age of so many data points

We're building a dystopia just to make people click on ads

The unintended consequences are alarming.

She's a pretty good follow on Twitter.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-28, 08:01

That’s really fascinating, Floyd. Thanks for posting the link.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-28, 08:23

Turtleneck wrote:That’s really fascinating, Floyd. Thanks for posting the link.

My pleasure. Watch some of her other stuff from the past 3-4 years. She's pretty damn smart and a good presenter.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-10-28, 09:29

I'd better start prepping the kids for a Butlerian Jihad now.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-10-28, 09:35

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:That’s really fascinating, Floyd. Thanks for posting the link.

My pleasure. Watch some of her other stuff from the past 3-4 years. She's pretty damn smart and a good presenter.

I'm think I know what book I'm reading next.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-06, 15:26

Turtleneck wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I'm think I know what book I'm reading next.

Zeynep on Risky Biz with Patrick Grey

Risky Biz is a pretty good weekly Infosec podcast and Zeynep was on there last week.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2017-11-07, 17:53

The question is, what can humans do that AI can't do?
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-07, 19:29

I knew an Al once. He didn't seem too advanced, except in age.

Hi-oh!!!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-07, 19:32

tGreenWay wrote:I knew an Al once. He didn't seem too advanced, except in age.

Hi-oh!!!

No one knows how advanced AI works GIF--Not-Impressed-Eww-Euw-Awful-Bad-Clint-Eastwood-disgust-GIF
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-11-07, 21:22

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I knew an Al once. He didn't seem too advanced, except in age.

Hi-oh!!!

No one knows how advanced AI works GIF--Not-Impressed-Eww-Euw-Awful-Bad-Clint-Eastwood-disgust-GIF

Bad example, Turtleneck. That geezer thinks chairs have ears.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-07, 21:40

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Bad example, Turtleneck. That geezer thinks chairs have ears.

He would fit right in at your EL Shuffleboard gatherings. When do you leave for Florida?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-11-07, 21:40

This shit blows my mind.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-11-07, 21:47

y2kMgrad wrote:This shit blows my mind.

It's just a .gif y2k.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-11-07, 22:28

Turtleneck wrote:
y2kMgrad wrote:This shit blows my mind.

It's just a .gif y2k.

Those things blow my mind too, with all their loops and stuff. Sometimes I'll watch them for hours to see if they ever get tired of playing.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next