Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump on Sessions recusing himself from any Russia probes: "very unfair to the president”

+3
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trump on Sessions recusing himself from any Russia probes: "very unfair to the president” Empty Trump on Sessions recusing himself from any Russia probes: "very unfair to the president”

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-19, 20:11

WASHINGTON — President Trump said on Wednesday that he never would have appointed Attorney General Jeff Sessions had he known Mr. Sessions would recuse himself from overseeing the Russia investigation that has dogged his presidency, calling the decision “very unfair to the president.”

In a remarkable public break with one of his earliest political supporters, Mr. Trump complained that Mr. Sessions’s decision ultimately led to the appointment of a special counsel that should not have happened. “Sessions should have never recused himself, and if he was going to recuse himself, he should have told me before he took the job and I would have picked somebody else,” Mr. Trump said.

In a wide-ranging interview with The New York Times, the president also accused James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director he fired in May, of trying to leverage a dossier of compromising material to keep his job. Mr. Trump criticized both the acting F.B.I. director who has been filling in since Mr. Comey’s dismissal and the deputy attorney general who recommended it. And he took on Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel now leading the investigation into Russian meddling in last year’s election.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-sessions-russia.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Trump on Sessions recusing himself from any Russia probes: "very unfair to the president” Empty Re: Trump on Sessions recusing himself from any Russia probes: "very unfair to the president”

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-19, 20:47

The President must be in fine physical shape based on the way he just tossed AG Sessions under the bus.

Trump is really pissed he doesn't have a subserviant AG to report any and all findings of investigations regarding Russian election interference directly to him before they are released. He thought he had a toadie and then he didn't.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Trump on Sessions recusing himself from any Russia probes: "very unfair to the president” Empty Re: Trump on Sessions recusing himself from any Russia probes: "very unfair to the president”

Post by tGreenWay 2017-07-20, 01:18

When will people figure out that it's not that Donnie hasn't yet learned how the presidency is supposed to work. He just does not care. He's going to do what he wants, when he wants, and all the better if it means millions more for the family business.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-20, 09:39

Sally Yates‏Verified account
@SallyQYates
POTUS attack on Russia recusal reveals yet again his violation of the essential independence of DOJ, a bedrock principle of our democracy.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-20, 09:41

Max Boot‏Verified account @MaxBoot 13h13 hours ago
Interview makes clear that Trump is the biggest threat US faces. He is declaring war on rule of law.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-20, 10:25

On Wednesday, President Donald Trump gave an interview with the New York Times that is astonishing in its bombast and disrespect for the competence of people who serve the administration. During the 50-minute session, Trump attacked Attorney General Jeff Session, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, Special Counsel Robert Mueller, acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, and former FBI Director James Comey.

Trump’s interview will also undoubtedly further antagonize career prosecutors and law enforcement agents within the Department of Justice who take their independence from White House political interference as an article of faith. This interview will become essential reading for Mueller’s investigators and congressional committees, but here are three quick takeaways about how the president has damaged his own legal defense, and exposed his family and associates to greater legal jeopardy as well.

https://www.justsecurity.org/43404/ways-trumps-nyt-interview-worsens-team-trumps-legal-troubles/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-20, 11:02

Sessions: No plans to resign after Trump attack
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/20/sessions-says-he-plans-to-stay-on-as-attorney-general-after-trump-criticism-240755
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-20, 11:03

Preet Bharara‏Verified account @PreetBharara 33m33 minutes ago
Not a question you've heard before at a DOJ press conference: "Are you concerned you will be viewed as a zombie Attorney General?"
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-20, 11:06

Marianna Sotomayor‏ @MariannaNBCNews
"I voted for him and I haven't seen anything he's done since then" of concern, Grassley said when asked if he has confidence in AG Sessions
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-20, 11:06

Turtleneck wrote:Sessions: No plans to resign after Trump attack
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/20/sessions-says-he-plans-to-stay-on-as-attorney-general-after-trump-criticism-240755

I'd go on camera and tell the president to kiss my ass. "I left my very safe senate seat in Alabama to serve this guy. I am the chief law officer of the United States. I did the right thing here. President Trump can let me do my job or fire me. Either way, he knows where my white ass is. "
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-07-20, 11:23

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Sessions: No plans to resign after Trump attack

I'd go on camera and tell the president to kiss my ass. "I left my very safe senate seat in Alabama to serve this guy. I am the chief law officer of the United States. I did the right thing here. President Trump can let me do my job or fire me. Either way, he knows where my white ass is. "

That's a great way to describe Sessions.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-20, 11:24

Rocinante wrote:
DWags wrote:

That's a great way to describe Sessions.

I had to. Pretty sure he has KKK tattooed somewhere
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-20, 21:03

Senator Rand Paul‏Verified account @RandPaul
I agree with @realDonaldTrump, his Attorney General should not have recused himself over reported incidental contacts with Russian officials
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-24, 14:49

Trump considers replacing Sessions with Giuliani for attorney general: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/343426-trump-floats-possibility-of-giuliani-replacing-sessions-as-attorney
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-24, 15:24

That would make sense in Trump's All Toady cabinet.
The only independent voice left is Sec of Defense Mattis.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-24, 18:34

Turtleneck I want you to know that on the other board in your thread about sharks I almost replied with "is that the thing mike pence has?" But then I remembered that everyone would get mad at me when I have to move the thread so I'm posting my hilarious joke here instead. Thanks
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-07-24, 18:38

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Turtleneck I want you to know that on the other board in your thread about sharks I almost replied with "is that the thing mike pence has?" But then I remembered that everyone would get mad at me when I have to move the thread so I'm posting my hilarious joke here instead. Thanks

FIFY
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-24, 18:38

I was going to start posting political posts on the main board to see if the mod are awake.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-24, 20:18

Turtleneck wrote:I was going to start posting political posts on the main board to see if the mod are awake.

It's the only thing I've ever been effective at as a mod and you know what? I think it's been pretty successful.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-24, 20:49

So you're saying do it?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-24, 20:50

Turtleneck wrote:So you're saying do it?

I'd prefer it if you didn't
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 13:03

How much longer will Sessions be on the job? No way he stays put while Trump trashes him like this, right? Or do you think Trump eventually makes the first move? This whole situation is weird.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-25, 13:06

Turtleneck wrote:How much longer will Sessions be on the job? No way he stays put while Trump trashes him like this, right? Or do you think Trump eventually makes the first move? This whole situation is weird.

I saw something a few minutes ago that suggested that sessions is pissed and is going to stay because he's pissed. That's what I'd do in that spot. Make the prick I hate do what he doesn't want to do.

Of course I'm not a mentally unhinged lunatic like Jeff sessions so who the hell knows what he actually thinks.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 13:12

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:How much longer will Sessions be on the job? No way he stays put while Trump trashes him like this, right? Or do you think Trump eventually makes the first move? This whole situation is weird.

I saw something a few minutes ago that suggested that sessions is pissed and is going to stay because he's pissed. That's what I'd do in that spot. Make the prick I hate do what he doesn't want to do.

Of course I'm not a mentally unhinged lunatic like Jeff sessions so who the hell knows what he actually thinks.

Trump is in a tough spot. Removing sessions might lead to backlash in Congress and some of his voters. Sessions early endorsement helped legitimate Trump as a candidate.

Sessions might try to stick around so he can stick it to Trump. I doubt they are still BFFs, but I suspect he keeps showing up to work everyday.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 13:17

Maggie Haberman‏Verified account
@maggieNYT
I asked two ppl close to Trump why he is tormenting Sessions instead of firing him. The answer from both, paraphrased: Because he can.

Trump just gave a big interview to Haberman, so I think she can be trusted.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 14:01

t is as clear as the view from the Trump Tower where this road leads. Trump is bent on ousting the two biggest obstacles at the Justice Department to his real objective: getting rid of Mueller. While inevitably such a step would draw immediate comparisons to Richard Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre," Trump also has far more political cover to take a clear shot at the special counsel he reportedly so reviles.

In his latest presidential tweet on the matter, Trump assailed Sessions for a "very weak position" on Hillary Clinton's "crimes" -- less than a full day after he dismissed his attorney general as "beleaguered." And beleaguered he should be, since the President who selected him is his "beleaguerer in chief," given the President's comments to The New York Times that Sessions should never have recused himself from the Russia investigation and that had the President known of Sessions' intentions in this regard, he never would have appointed the senator from Alabama to his prestigious and powerful position in the first place.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/opinions/trump-targets-sessions-then-mueller-callan-opinion/index.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-07-25, 14:13

Sure seems like Donnie is in or close to being in full panic mode. His lunacy ramped up about the time reports came out that Mueller was looking into Trump business dealings. That's when he went postal on Sessions and started asking about pardons, including one for himself. I'd say the Special Counsel has gotten close to something Trump did that was naughty in the eyes of the law.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 14:31

tGreenWay wrote:Sure seems like Donnie is in or close to being in full panic mode. His lunacy ramped up about the time reports came out that Mueller was looking into Trump business dealings. That's when he went postal on Sessions and started asking about pardons, including one for himself. I'd say the Special Counsel has gotten close to something Trump did that was naughty in the eyes of the law.

Rumors circulating that there are plans forming to fire staffers not seen as 100% loyal other; wants people that will not challenge him and let him do whatever, which explains why he wanted to hire Gucci Scaramucci.

Scaramucci entered the White House over the strenuous objections of both former White House press secretary Sean Spicer — who ultimately resigned in protest — and Chief of Staff Reince Priebus.

Despite publicly claiming that he and Priebus have a long and respectful working relationship, Scaramucci has made one of his first moves the launch of a broad overhaul of the press office, singling out Priebus allies, many of whom previously worked at the Republican National Committee, for further scrutiny.

An unofficial list of Priebus loyalists has been circulating among Scaramucci allies as those most likely to lose their jobs or be reassigned to somewhere else in the administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/25/white-house-purge-im-going-to-fire-everybody-says-scaramucci/?utm_term=.12afdef2c07a
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 15:39

Trump Won’t Say if He Will Fire Sessions
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-wont-say-if-he-will-fire-attorney-general-sessions-1501010025

“It’s not like a great loyal thing about the endorsement,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. “I’m very disappointed in Jeff Sessions.”

“When they say he endorsed me, I went to Alabama,” Mr. Trump said on Tuesday , recalling the endorsement . “I had 40,000 people. He was a senator from Alabama. I won the state by a lot, massive numbers. A lot of the states I won by massive numbers. But he was a senator, he looks at 40,000 people and he probably says, ’What do I have to lose?’ And he endorsed me. So it’s not like a great loyal thing about the endorsement. But I’m very disappointed in Jeff Sessions.”
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-25, 15:49

Based on the fact that AG Sessions who was an Eagle Scout wasn't invited to join President Trump when he traveled to the BSA Jamboree I'm thinking about 3 to 4 weeks.  31 days at the longest.

President Trump stiffed his staff's most devout Roman Catholic by not including Spicer on the list of of people to accompany the President to visit the Pope at The Vatican on 24 May 17.   Spicer resigned on 21 July.

Trump has made up his mind to dump him and now that the US Senate blinked passing the mystery healthcare act I suspect Trump will see that as a sign to make another effort to further reduce the independence of the DOJ and increase the power of The White House by dumping Sessions and replacing him with a synchophant.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-25, 16:35

GRR Spartan wrote:

Based on the fact that AG Sessions who was an Eagle Scout wasn't invited to join President Trump when he traveled to the BSA Jamboree I'm thinking about 3 to 4 weeks.  31 days at the longest.

President Trump stiffed his staff's most devout Roman Catholic by not including Spicer on the list of of people to accompany the President to visit the Pope at The Vatican on 24 May 17.   Spicer resigned on 21 July.

Trump has made up his mind to dump him and now that the US Senate blinked passing the mystery healthcare act I suspect Trump will see that as a sign to make another effort to further reduce the independence of the DOJ and increase the power of The White House by dumping Sessions and replacing him with a synchophant.

I still think you're way way way overthinking the presidents thought process. Like you're in this world where he's playing chess instead of checkers. Reality is that he's not playing either but go fish instead.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 16:40

I think he is more of a Connect Four guy, Travis.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-25, 16:45

Turtleneck wrote:I think he is more of a Connect Four guy, Travis.

You know that card game kids play called War where they just split the deck and whoever has the higher card wins each hand? That's the one that trump plays.

Except in Trumps previous life he got to see the cards beforehand and he got to select the first 26 cards he wants before the other person gets to choose their's.

He still only has a .623 winning percentage.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 16:47

Turtleneck wrote:I think he is more of a Connect Four guy, Travis.

You know that card game kids play called War where they just split the deck and whoever has the higher card wins each hand? That's the one that trump plays.

Except in Trumps previous life he got to see the cards beforehand and he got to select the first 26 cards he wants before the other person gets to choose their's.

God Emperor Trump will most displeased when he sees your post, Travis.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-25, 16:48

Turtleneck wrote:

God Emperor Trump will most displeased when he sees your post, Travis.

I took out the part about the Russians at least.

Honestly it was only because it didn't fit that well. I wanted to bring the Russians into it. It didn't work.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-07-25, 16:55

Turtleneck wrote:Trump Won’t Say if He Will Fire Sessions
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-wont-say-if-he-will-fire-attorney-general-sessions-1501010025

“It’s not like a great loyal thing about the endorsement,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. “I’m very disappointed in Jeff Sessions.”

“When they say he endorsed me, I went to Alabama,” Mr. Trump said on Tuesday , recalling the endorsement . “I had 40,000 people. He was a senator from Alabama. I won the state by a lot, massive numbers. A lot of the states I won by massive numbers. But he was a senator, he looks at 40,000 people and he probably says, ’What do I have to lose?’ And he endorsed me. So it’s not like a great loyal thing about the endorsement. But I’m very disappointed in Jeff Sessions.”

And yet it's only been recently that he's been going after Sessions. The obvious question is why now? And the easiest and most obvious answer is because Mueller is closing in on things Trump really, really doesn't want getting out. #panic
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-07-25, 16:57

tGreenWay wrote:

And yet it's only been recently that he's been going after Sessions. The obvious question is why now? And the easiest and most obvious answer is because Mueller is closing in on things Trump really, really doesn't want getting out. #panic

THE PEE TAPE IS REAL
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-07-25, 17:13

tGreenWay wrote:

THE PEE TAPE IS REAL

Trump on Sessions recusing himself from any Russia probes: "very unfair to the president” 502811600 Even if it is, there's no chance that ever sees the light of day. They -- Mueller, et al -- would protect Trump if only to save the Office the global embarrassment.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-07-25, 18:18

tGreenWay wrote:

Trump Is Becoming Unhinged at the Twists and Turns of Kremlingate
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/24/trump-is-becoming-unhinged-at-the-twists-and-turns-of-kremlingate/amp/

Trump did nothing to dampen such speculation by defiantly proclaiming on Twitter, as part of his weekly Saturday morning meltdown, that the president has the “complete power to pardon.” Actually, many legal scholars argue that a president can’t pardon himself. Even if he does so, he will be admitting guilt and thus strengthening the case for his own impeachment.

What a crazy week. And now we are in for another — and another and another. Indeed, this week began with Jared Kushner trying to explain to congressional committees his meetings with Russian representatives last year and with his father-in-law berating his own “beleaguered” attorney general for not “looking into Crooked Hillarys crimes.”

Get used to it. The Kremlingate show isn’t going away as long as Trump remains in the White House. It’s impossible to know how this story will end, but it’s unlikely to have a happy outcome. More likely, we are going to see a presidency increasingly paralyzed by scandal and a president at war with the whole world — except, of course, for his friend in the Kremlin, whom he treats the way a giddy schoolgirl would Zac Efron.

Trump has already signaled the next plot twist: He will somehow try to fire Mueller before the special counsel can uncover any more damaging information. We’ve seen this movie before. The “Saturday Night Massacre” did not work out well for Richard Nixon, but Trump is so oblivious to history, and so desperate to cover his tracks, that he may well stage a sequel. It will be up to Republicans, who control both houses of Congress, to decide if Trump will get away with such a shocking display of villainy. Sadly, given the failure of Republicans so far to do much to stand up to the miscreant in the Oval Office, this could well be one series where the bad guy gets away with his crimes. Stay tuned at the same Trump time, on the same Trump channel, for another depressing episode.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-07-25, 18:37

Sessions gets the boot around July 31 or Trump waits until midway through the August recess.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next