Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A possible rule change coming to your local nursing home: no more lawsuits, just third party arbitration when your relatives are mistreated or abused

5 posters

Go down

A possible rule change coming to your local nursing home: no more lawsuits, just third party arbitration when your relatives are mistreated or abused Empty A possible rule change coming to your local nursing home: no more lawsuits, just third party arbitration when your relatives are mistreated or abused

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-08, 13:13

Senate Democrats are calling on the Trump administration to abandon its proposal to strip nursing home residents and their families of their right to settle disputes with facilities in court.

In a letter Monday, Sens. Al Franken (D-Minn.) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) urged Seema Verma, the administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), to reconsider her proposal to reverse an Obama-era rule that prohibited nursing homes that accept Medicare or Medicaid funds from including language in their resident contracts requiring disputes be settled by a third party, rather than in a court.

The senators argue that these clauses, known to lawyers as pre-dispute arbitration agreements, “stack the deck against residents and their families” and prohibit them from suing over alleged physical abuse and neglect, sexual assault, or wrongful death.

http://thehill.com/regulation/pending-regs/345642-senate-dems-push-cms-to-protect-nursing-home-residents-right-to-sue
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

A possible rule change coming to your local nursing home: no more lawsuits, just third party arbitration when your relatives are mistreated or abused Empty Re: A possible rule change coming to your local nursing home: no more lawsuits, just third party arbitration when your relatives are mistreated or abused

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-08, 13:14

Oh...and for all your nursing home needs...

http://trumppavilion.org/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

A possible rule change coming to your local nursing home: no more lawsuits, just third party arbitration when your relatives are mistreated or abused Empty Re: A possible rule change coming to your local nursing home: no more lawsuits, just third party arbitration when your relatives are mistreated or abused

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-08-08, 13:16

If you watched Better Call Saul, you know that you don't want this nursing home shit going to arbitration.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-08-08, 13:17

In fairness, I do not think Trump's family has any type of ownership stake in that nursing home. It is named after his mother, but that is it. I think.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-08-08, 13:18

Also, look I'm all for rolling back some of the more ridiculous regulation that gets in the way.  I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them.

I saw another report this morning that Trump wants to do away with testing OTR truckers for sleeping disorders. I'm honestly not sure where I stand on that one yet.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-08-08, 13:56

Arbitration is a corporation's friend.

Can be a really good friend if the businesses can have a role in seeing that a majority of the arbitration unit are industry insiders.

For example in Texas you can't sue the builder of your home. You are required to go to arbitration and the board is loaded with GC's hand picked by the governor.

This is the slippery slope of "common sense" solutions.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-08-08, 14:26

Arbitration is bullshit in corporate vs. citizens scenario.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-08-08, 18:19

I'm immediately suspicious of any person/entity in any situation who would ask me to sign away my right to bring a lawsuit against them if they fuck something up. I know the profit motive incentivizes reducing/eliminating liabilities, but legal recourse is often the only recourse there is, so taking that away (or mutilating it beyond recognition) leaves no choice but to lube up and bend over.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down