Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school?

+13
Rocinante
Tim Wakefield
MiamiSpartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
TheReal_LWS
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Heat Miser
Watch Out Pylon!
Bill Cain
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school? Empty Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school?

Post by Bill Cain 2017-12-05, 22:47

What should I expect?
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school? Empty Re: Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-12-05, 22:50

Pain.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school? Empty Re: Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school?

Post by Heat Miser 2017-12-05, 22:57

Who the FUCK let you start posting again?!?!?!?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2017-12-05, 23:04

Heat Miser wrote:Who the FUCK let you start posting again?!?!?!?

I've matured from my younger years into quite the intellectual, I think you'd be impressed
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-05, 23:10

You’re comparing apples to oranges really.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-05, 23:22

Work life sucks because you have to kiss ass, you are going to have a superior with authority over you and you get in a rut after a while where it’s the same shit over and over again. Also, meetings are terrible. So fucking boring. The good news is you’ll have money.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-12-06, 07:47

depends on your work.. and your life.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-06, 09:03

Robert J Sakimano wrote:depends on your work.. and your life.

Yep. It's amazing there are some careers/jobs you can't believe you actually get paid for doing.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-12-06, 09:35

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Yep. It's amazing there are some careers/jobs you can't believe you actually get paid for doing.
like a jizz mopper. Some folks would do it for free.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-06, 09:52

Bill Cain wrote:What should I expect?

You will miss school with every fiber of your being. And you will become more jaded and bitter over time until you just don't give a crap anymore. Welcome to real life, junior.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-06, 10:11

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Yep.  It's amazing there are some careers/jobs you can't believe you actually get paid for doing.

Just a warning, I had that and that can change very quickly by factors out of your control. Layoffs can happen, automation, a once profitable company can struggle, you can get new management, etc.

Also, stats show that ageism in the workplace kicks in around mid 30's so you can get locked into a terrible job at a certain point. I'm not miserable at my job, but there's heaps of bullshit that I deal with every week that I'm not wild about and speaking your mind is not an option in the work force. I just tell the boss and co-workers exactly what they want to hear to maintain status quo and get the pay check.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-06, 10:13

TheReal_LWS wrote:

You will miss school with every fiber of your being. And you will become more jaded and bitter over time until you just don't give a crap anymore. Welcome to real life, junior.

I loved going to MSU, happiest time in my life. Biggest down side to me was being broke as a joke and never having money.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-12-06, 10:24

TheReal_LWS wrote:

Sounds like your life sucks Bee. :(
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-06, 10:26

Shocker
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-12-06, 10:33

the older I get, the better my quality of life becomes. College was fine, ya know.. whatever - I didn't enjoy it as much as some people seemed to. As you get older, and if you're lucky, you become more content, more secure and more settled with who you are and you're surrounded by family and friends. Keep in mind that, often, we make our own luck when it comes to these sorts of things.

in an ideal world, you begin to get a more healthy perspective on life once you probably enter your 30's. You become a bit more financially secure, you learn who to rely on and who not to rely on and your priorities shift in a much more positive, enriching fashion.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-06, 10:47

Once you hit your 30s there's lots of fucking in the workplace
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-12-06, 11:00

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Once you hit your 30s there's lots of fucking in the workplace

Being single for a little while in my late 20's/early 30's I can confirm this statement.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-06, 13:58

You're asking if it's easier to get up before the sun and spend 40 hours/week (if you're lucky enough to have to spend more) away from your house is easier than spending 15 hours/week away? Seriously?

I graduated in December (many years ago), and had a job right away that started the Monday after graduation. I remember that first week of work, tired as fuck, dark as hell outside, and I'm freezing my ass off scraping ice off my windshield, and thinking, "Only 40 more years of this."

I took certain measures to end some of that. I haven't needed to scrape a windshield in 18 years, and I'm fortunate enough to be in a very flexible work situation (I strolled into the office a little after noon today). I still have to get up before the sun to get my daughter to school, but kids add a whole other, wonderful dimension to life when you're ready for them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-12-06, 14:05

and don't get roped into making a bunch of money.. live within your means.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-06, 14:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the older I get, the better my quality of life becomes. College was fine, ya know.. whatever - I didn't enjoy it as much as some people seemed to. As you get older, and if you're lucky, you become more content, more secure and more settled with who you are and you're surrounded by family and friends. Keep in mind that, often, we make our own luck when it comes to these sorts of things.

in an ideal world, you begin to get a more healthy perspective on life once you probably enter your 30's. You become a bit more financially secure, you learn who to rely on and who not to rely on and your priorities shift in a much more positive, enriching fashion.
I agree with this, though I did love everything about college. But life changes, your interests change, etc. I wouldn't give up my family, the home I've built, etc. for anything. But I still would love to go back to the hours of college. If someone would pay me a salary to go and take 15 credits every semester, including all the homework/studying, and have 3 months off in the summer, I'd do it in a heart beat. But I also like learning, and if I was a big enough baller that I didn't need to work, I'd take college courses just for fun and personal interest.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-06, 14:16

The lesson here today is do not have children
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-06, 14:26

MiamiSpartan wrote:You're asking if it's easier to get up before the sun and spend 40 hours/week (if you're lucky enough to have to spend more) away from your house is easier than spending 15 hours/week away? Seriously?

I graduated in December (many years ago), and had a job right away that started the Monday after graduation. I remember that first week of work, tired as fuck, dark as hell outside, and I'm freezing my ass off scraping ice off my windshield, and thinking, "Only 40 more years of this."

I took certain measures to end some of that. I haven't needed to scrape a windshield in 18 years, and I'm fortunate enough to be in a very flexible work situation (I strolled into the office a little after noon today). I still have to get up before the sun to get my daughter to school, but kids add a whole other, wonderful dimension to life when you're ready for them.

Yep, you are bringing back some memories. That first year out of school in an office was torture. An 8 hour day was horrendous and felt like it took damn near forever to end.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2017-12-06, 14:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The lesson here today is do not have children
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The lesson here today is do not have children

For most message board posters this is not a problem.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-12-06, 15:35

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the older I get, the better my quality of life becomes. College was fine, ya know.. whatever - I didn't enjoy it as much as some people seemed to. As you get older, and if you're lucky, you become more content, more secure and more settled with who you are and you're surrounded by family and friends. Keep in mind that, often, we make our own luck when it comes to these sorts of things.

I agree with this, though I did love everything about college. But life changes, your interests change, etc. I wouldn't give up my family, the home I've built, etc. for anything. But I still would love to go back to the hours of college. If someone would pay me a salary to go and take 15 credits every semester, including all the homework/studying, and have 3 months off in the summer, I'd do it in a heart beat. But I also like learning, and if I was a big enough baller that I didn't need to work, I'd take college courses just for fun and personal interest.
yeah, seems like a lot of people liked college.

it was fine.. I've never really enjoyed learning. I like to do things that I enjoy and learning isn't one of them. Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school? 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-12-06, 15:47

steveschneider wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

I loved going to MSU, happiest time in my life. Biggest down side to me was being broke as a joke and never having money.
As much as I bitched about working at the caf, I had a pretty sweet deal. $12+/hour, whatever schedule I wanted, and a decent amount of authority for a college kid. 25 hours a week of caf hell more than made up for being able to afford acting like an idiot on weekends
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-06, 15:56

Tim Wakefield wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

As much as I bitched about working at the caf, I had a pretty sweet deal. $12+/hour, whatever schedule I wanted, and a decent amount of authority for a college kid. 25 hours a week of caf hell more than made up for being able to afford acting like an idiot on weekends

I remember I got a job that paid $8.00 back then and most of my friends were earning like $5 an hour. I was like holy shit I've struck it rich. $9.99 cases of Nat Light got me through a lot of weekends.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-06, 15:57

Wake used to try to boss me around the cafe and i shoved it right back in his fucking face.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-06, 16:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
yeah, seems like a lot of people liked college.

it was fine.. I've never really enjoyed learning. I like to do things that I enjoy and learning isn't one of them. Did you find worklife easier than your experience in school? 502811600
Yeah, we've kind of noticed. tongue
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-12-06, 16:31

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Wake used to try to boss me around the cafe and i shoved it right back in his fucking face.

Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-06, 16:33

steveschneider wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:

I remember I got a job that paid $8.00 back then and most of my friends were earning like $5 an hour. I was like holy shit I've struck it rich. $9.99 cases of Nat Light got me through a lot of weekends.
I think the caf was paying about $5/hour when I was there (early 90s). That was awesome, compared to the $3.35 I made at Arby's when I was 16, and the big bump in pay all the way up to $3.50 when I left Arby's to bag groceries at Hamady's.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-06, 16:45

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I think the caf was paying about $5/hour when I was there (early 90s). That was awesome, compared to the $3.35 I made at Arby's when I was 16, and the big bump in pay all the way up to $3.50 when I left Arby's to bag groceries at Hamady's.
MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Man you are bringing back a lot of terrible memories for me.
I was definitely making $3.35 at my first restaurant job washing dishes. Crazy to think after 8hrs of grueling work you'd make $26.80 before taxes.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-06, 17:05

Yes, work is easier than school. It’s not as fun though. Until you’re like in your late 30s without kids. Then it’s fun as fuck.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-06, 17:23

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I was definitely making $3.35 at my first restaurant job washing dishes. Crazy to think after 8hrs of grueling work you'd make $26.80 before taxes.
Crazy indeed. The young dudes here are probably wondering how we could manage to afford our iPhones and Netflix subscriptions back then.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-12-06, 17:26

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Crazy indeed. The young dudes here are probably wondering how we could manage to afford our iPhones and Netflix subscriptions back then.

What was your version of Netflix and chill ??
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-06, 17:31

Tim Wakefield wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

VHS stores and you had to remember to return it on time and rewind that shit or you’d get a fee.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-06, 17:40

Bob was a betamax and chill kind of guy.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-06, 17:54

steveschneider wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:

VHS stores and you had to remember to return it on time and rewind that shit or you’d get a fee.
Dammit, that reminds me. I forgot to rewind Narcos after I finished watching it the other day. Guess I'll be seeing any extra charge on my bill. Fuck.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-06, 18:03

We at least had PS1. Used to play some pretty serious PS1 golf with Gus Ornstein across the hall.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-06, 18:13

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:We at least had PS1. Used to play some pretty serious PS1 golf with Gus Ornstein across the hall.

Did you guys chill?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-06, 18:29

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:We at least had PS1. Used to play some pretty serious PS1 golf with Gus Ornstein across the hall.
Around my junior or senior year, Sega Genesis was all the rage. Some far too intense NHL matchups went on.

Prior to that, we'd hoof it to the Union to play the big giant video games. Especially some football game, but I'm blanking on the name.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next