Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ways to fix fifa soccer

+22
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
Zapp Brannigan
ROtown Sparty
Blanch32
tig ol bitties
pulling69
Travis of the Cosmos
MJ
dubie7006
CrazySparty
Gob Bluth
RBW Spartan
Izzo Court
Bizarro Fletch
Nordic
Albert_Potato
WBill
By-Tor
Ass Dan
kingstonlake
WCS
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

ways to fix fifa soccer - Page 3 Empty Re: ways to fix fifa soccer

Post by MJ 2014-06-16, 14:39

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
The players would die. They've already been running for 120+ minutes at that point. They could add free flowing substitutions at a certain point I suppose... But, that would be a totally different game too, though not as drastically as PKs

No, you couldn't. The goalie wouldn't have to do much guessing since I promise that you can't rocket a ball quite the same way as a world class player. Especially without giving away which direction you're going with your body language, which is pretty easy to read in an amateur. (I was a goalie for about 15 years.)

Lol RBW continues to impress with his 40% come on now. I'm sure you would hit 90% from the free throw line with 20k people watching right?
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-06-16, 15:47

The players would die. They've already been running for 120+ minutes at that point. They could add free flowing substitutions at a certain point I suppose... But, that would be a totally different game too, though not as drastically as PKs

No, you couldn't. The goalie wouldn't have to do much guessing since I promise that you can't rocket a ball quite the same way as a world class player. Especially without giving away which direction you're going with your body language, which is pretty easy to read in an amateur. (I was a goalie for about 15 years.)

MJ wrote:

Lol RBW continues to impress with his 40% come on now.  I'm sure you would hit 90% from the free throw line with 20k people watching right?

Fine, let's ignore my 40% comment (I still think I could do > 25%). Players hit PKs at roughly an 80% clip (as high as 84% in the EPL last year).

It's basically a FT shooting contest between some really good shooters.
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-06-16, 15:59

RBW Spartan wrote:

Fine, let's ignore my 40% comment (I still think I could do > 25%). Players hit PKs at roughly an 80% clip (as high as 84% in the EPL last year).

You'd be lucky to make 5 out of 100. So would I, and I've played before. Just fyi.

Thing is, the game has to end at some point. They have already played an overtime session that amounts to 1/3rd of the game and it's still tied. They can't keep going forever due to the substitution rules. If you changed those then to keep going you would have to replace every player (who can't come back in the game) except the goalie at some point due to sheer exhaustion. Remember, these guys dont get the frequent breaks that all other sports give. At that point you would be watching back ups vs back ups. Is that really a better way to end the game? No one wants a game to come down to PKs but like I said, the game does have to end somehow at a certain point.

Edit- I don't know why the font is all weird. Fucking 247
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-16, 16:33

RBW Spartan wrote:

Clearly you've never seen England take part in a penalty shoot out.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-16, 16:44

Blanch32 wrote:

Whoa!  How radical!!  totally increased scoring chances right there! Lol
Thank you for highlighting the point that I made by saying, "For novices, those may not sound important, but they have a huge impact on every game. "

It absolutely increased scoring chances. And if you are a soccer fan (which you obviously aren't, and that's ok, I could care less about converting anyone), you would know the impact. Don't get pissy just because your claim that soccer never adapts like other sports was proven wrong.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BtothejizA 2014-06-16, 18:19

Will someone explain to me why offsides is a thing?

Seems like if they got rid of that rule you'd have teams scoring like 10 goals a game.
BtothejizA
BtothejizA
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-06-16, 18:28

BtothejizA wrote:Will someone explain to me why offsides is a thing?

Seems like if they got rid of that rule you'd have teams scoring like 10 goals a game.
Because they don't want teams scoring 10 goals a game?

But, to clarify, if they did that you would have players just hanging out by the goal all day cherry picking waiting for someone to kick it into the area for a header into the net. It would be super boring and shitty despite the increased scoring.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-16, 23:15

Anybody else find it difficult to enjoy the USA's dramatic win because they were worried that a game in the next round might go to penalties?
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-16, 23:29

Gob Bluth wrote:Anybody else find it difficult to enjoy the USA's dramatic win because they were worried that a game in the next round might go to penalties?

RBW is still locked in his basement. He's the only one.

Enjoyed the game tonight in a bar full of people there for the game, atmosphere was awesome. Love the World Cup!

MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-16, 23:36

No wonder ratings are so low They have like a 1,000 people watching 1 TV.

MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-17, 00:33

Why isn't Donovan on our team?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-06-17, 00:34

DWags wrote:Why isn't Donovan on our team?
Because he's old and fat.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-17, 00:40

RBW Spartan wrote:

ways to fix fifa soccer - Page 3 1966794946 

I'm sure you could also
- Kick a 50 yard field goal
- Run a sub 4.5 - 40
- Hit at least 5 out of a major league ball park on 10 pitches
- Shoot under 80 at Augusta
- Bowl an 800 series

What else am I missing?

MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-17, 00:44

Power move by Jurgen.

He was replaced basically by Chris Wondolowski who poaches goals against terrible teams.

Aron Jóhannsson was terrible tonight and unless you feed the ball to Wondo on a golden platter he's not scoring. This team is really going to struggle unless they execute on set pieces like they did tonight on the corner.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-17, 01:06

Well shit, I guess I'm out then.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-06-17, 06:33

I thought this thread was going to be about paying the players to throw the game.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gob Bluth 2014-06-17, 08:20

LoneWolfSparty wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about paying the players to throw the game.

Match-fixing is mostly an Italian problem.
Gob Bluth
Gob Bluth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-06-17, 08:24

MJ wrote:

Power move by Jurgen.

He was replaced basically by Chris Wondolowski who poaches goals against terrible teams.  

Aron Jóhannsson was terrible tonight and unless you feed the ball to Wondo on a golden platter he's not scoring.  This team is really going to struggle unless they execute on set pieces like they did tonight on the corner.
Plus he's like, super fat and super old.
ways to fix fifa soccer - Page 3 474659687741140992
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-06-17, 08:36

MJ wrote:

Power move by Jurgen.

Aron Jóhannsson was terrible tonight and unless you feed the ball to Wondo on a golden platter he's not scoring.  This team is really going to struggle unless they execute on set pieces like they did tonight on the corner.

So in other words, they have to play a disciplined style in order to beat teams with more individual talent. Like say last night?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-06-17, 09:37

kingstonlake wrote:

So in other words, they have to play a disciplined style in order to beat teams with more individual talent. Like say last night?

I thought we got really lucky last night. Ghana showed ability to beat us off the dribble and get to the net, missing a couple wide, scoring once. Then they started settling for bombs from 25+.

They will have to play a really disciplined style and hope Dempsey and Johannsson can create something up top. After Jozy left the game we really had nothing other then the corner. Jermaine Jones was good, but Bradley was awful in the middle. Really need him to settling things down and control the game, he forced way to much last night and was a turnover machine. He is WAY better then that, hopefully he shows it.
MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-17, 12:38

I'm not reading the whole thread, but my suggestion was that each coach gets two "foul challenges" per game. If it's determined on review that the "fouled" player dove or was not touched, he gets a red card and his team plays down a man for the rest of the match. That will force them to think twice about constantly taking a dive and rolling around until they get a call.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-17, 12:54

Chitown_Badger wrote:I'm not reading the whole thread, but my suggestion was that each coach gets two "foul challenges" per game. If it's determined on review that the "fouled" player dove or was not touched, he gets a red card and his team plays down a man for the rest of the match. That will force them to think twice about constantly taking a dive and rolling around until they get a call.
Ruud Van Nistelrooy was advocating this on ESPN the other day. While it sounds good in theory, the problem with it is the same problem that prevents penalties from being reviewable in football. It's a judgement call. Sure, sometimes a player isn't touched at all and goes down. But other times it's a question of whether a player was touched hard enough to make them go down, and that gets sticky. It's more definitive if used for offsides. However, then you run the risk of the linesman flagging offsides when it wasn't, and stopping a scoring chance before it happens. They'd have to let everything go, but that carries issues, as well.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-17, 13:20

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Ruud Van Nistelrooy was advocating this on ESPN the other day.  While it sounds good in theory, the problem with it is the same problem that prevents penalties from being reviewable in football.  It's a judgement call.  Sure, sometimes a player isn't touched at all and goes down.  But other times it's a question of whether a player was touched hard enough to make them go down, and that gets sticky.  It's more definitive if used for offsides.  However, then you run the risk of the linesman flagging offsides when it wasn't, and stopping a scoring chance before it happens.  They'd have to let everything go, but that carries issues, as well.

They've figured out a way to review flopping in the NBA well enough to be able to fine Wade when he does it. [shrug]

I like soccer, and played it all the way through high school, but the diving and fake injury shit is constant and so damn annoying. And the thing is, the players learn it at some level. It didn't happen in high school, at least not where I played, so it must be at some point beyond that. We played through contact like fucking men.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-17, 13:57

Chitown_Badger wrote:

They've figured out a way to review flopping in the NBA well enough to be able to fine Wade when he does it. [shrug]

I like soccer, and played it all the way through high school, but the diving and fake injury shit is constant and so damn annoying. And the thing is, the players learn it at some level. It didn't happen in high school, at least not where I played, so it must be at some point beyond that. We played through contact like fucking men.
I can think of few things as ironic as a Wisconsin fan complaining about diving/flopping.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-17, 14:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I can think of few things as ironic as a Wisconsin fan complaining about diving/flopping.

You assume Badger fans are all in favor of flopping, which isn't the case, but you've all convinced yourself it is. And to equate the problem in soccer to the one in hoops is hardly an apples to apples. Soccer borders on the absurd.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-17, 14:48

Chitown_Badger wrote:

You assume Badger fans are all in favor of flopping, which isn't the case, but you've all convinced yourself it is. And to equate the problem in soccer to the one in hoops is hardly an apples to apples. Soccer borders on the absurd.
No, I wasn't assuming that you're in favor of it, just ironic that you're complaining about the prevalence of it in soccer (glass houses and all that). You may not be in favor of it, but you accept it, at least to the extent that you keep enjoying following Wisconsin basketball. Similarly most soccer fans are not in favor of diving, but they don't let it deter from their enjoyment of the game. Every sport has distasteful aspects to it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-17, 14:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:
No, I wasn't assuming that you're in favor of it, just ironic that you're complaining about the prevalence of it in soccer (glass houses and all that).  You may not be in favor of it, but you accept it, at least to the extent that you keep enjoying following Wisconsin basketball.  Similarly most soccer fans are not in favor of diving, but they don't let it deter from their enjoyment of the game.  Every sport has distasteful aspects to it.

If I'm not in favor of it in basketball or soccer, I don't think the term "glass houses" applies.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-06-17, 14:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:

lol! ways to fix fifa soccer - Page 3 992749028 
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-17, 15:23

Chitown_Badger wrote:

If I'm not in favor of it in basketball or soccer, I don't think the term "glass houses" applies.
I didn't say you were in favor of it. I said you accept it. Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you dislike it so much in basketball that you've quit watching Wisconsin play.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-17, 15:27

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I didn't say you were in favor of it.  I said you accept it.  Or maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe you dislike it so much in basketball that you've quit watching Wisconsin play.

So your stance is that you think Wisconsin flops too much, and since I don't like flopping in basketball or soccer, I should quit watching and supporting my alma mater for that lone reason.

That's sensible.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-17, 15:52

Chitown_Badger wrote:

So your stance is that you think Wisconsin flops too much, and since I don't like flopping in basketball or soccer, I should quit watching and supporting my alma mater for that lone reason.

That's sensible.
No, but you're really trying to put words in my mouth. I'm saying that you don't like flopping and soccer fans don't like flopping. But neither let it ruin the game for them, nor should they. If they did, then they weren't much of a fan to begin with. My larger point is that diving, while distasteful, doesn't take away from the game if you're a fan.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-17, 16:09

MiamiSpartan wrote:
No, but you're really trying to put words in my mouth.  I'm saying that you don't like flopping and soccer fans don't like flopping.  But neither let it ruin the game for them, nor should they.  If they did, then they weren't much of a fan to begin with.  My larger point is that diving, while distasteful, doesn't take away from the game if you're a fan.  

I think that the diving and constant faking of injuries takes away from soccer. Big time. If the majority of soccer fans took issue with it, they would be doing something about it to remove it from the game. Just like the NBA did with fines and college basketball is doing with the protected circle under the hoop, the new rules last year, etc.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-17, 16:22

Chitown_Badger wrote:

I think that the diving and constant faking of injuries takes away from soccer. Big time. If the majority of soccer fans took issue with it, they would be doing something about it to remove it from the game. Just like the NBA did with fines and college basketball is doing with the protected circle under the hoop, the new rules last year, etc.
You mean like how diving was made a bookable offense a few years ago?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-17, 17:46

MiamiSpartan wrote:
You mean like how diving was made a bookable offense a few years ago?

Has it ever been called? Because what I'm seeing is the most obvious diving, flopping, faking, whatever. Perhaps they just need to enforce the rule they have then.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-06-17, 18:30

Chitown_Badger wrote:

Has it ever been called? Because what I'm seeing is the most obvious diving, flopping, faking, whatever. Perhaps they just need to enforce the rule they have then.
Plenty of times.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3