Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keith Mumphery is suing MSU

+10
I.B. Fine
WhiteBoyHatcher
StylesGShmooth
MiamiSpartan
SawGreen
Dr. Strangelove
Tim Wakefield
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
14 posters

Go down

Keith Mumphery is suing MSU Empty Keith Mumphery is suing MSU

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-22, 18:26

Working on getting a link. WLNS website has it but the url won’t copy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Keith Mumphery is suing MSU Empty Re: Keith Mumphery is suing MSU

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-22, 18:27

EAST LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) -- - A former Michigan State University football player is suing the university over his expulsion from the university due to an alleged sexual assault.

Former wide receiver Keith Mumphery filed the suit in federal court Monday. In the 55 page complaint, Mumphery alleges his constitutional right to due process was violated in the case. He claims he was never given proper notice of the Title IX proceedings and there was no proper hearing.

In the suit, Mumphery claims he was expelled from MSU in 2016 because of the assault, despite the school initially finding he was not responsible. Mumphery claims that finding was reversed after it was appealed by the alleged victim. He also claims, up until that point, he had a clean disciplinary record at the university.

Mumphery also said in the suit he was cut by the Houston Texans the day after a newspaper reported that he was expelled questioned why the team signed him. He claims the allegations against him have prevented him from getting another job in professional football.

Mumphery added, given he was expelled from the university, he is also unable to complete his graduate degree in communications.

Michigan State University declined to comment on the lawsuit at this time.

6 News has also reached out to Mumphery's attorneys for comment. Check back for further updates.

Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-22, 18:29

I’ll say it again: The way Title IX is set up and administered, it takes away all rights of the accused. Those proceedings should not happen until after there’s a trial, if there is one.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-22, 18:34

tGreenWay wrote:I’ll say it again: The way Title IX is set up and administered, it takes away all rights of the accused. Those proceedings should not happen until after there’s a trial, if there is one.

Giving any body jurisdiction ahead of legal proceedings in CSC cases seems whack, but I'm obviously missing something.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-05-22, 18:35

What a shit show.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-05-22, 18:37

Seems like these issues should be resolved by the cops and judicial system?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-22, 18:55

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I’ll say it again: The way Title IX is set up and administered, it takes away all rights of the accused. Those proceedings should not happen until after there’s a trial, if there is one.

Giving any body jurisdiction ahead of legal proceedings in CSC cases seems whack, but I'm obviously missing something.

It sucks because in today's world it irreparably deprives him of a chance to play in the NFL without any indictment or charges much less a conviction. No one would support that if they were the one in his shoes, especially so if he's innocent.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-22, 19:04

Floyd Robertson wrote:

It is totally whack. Plus, any info collected during the Title IX investigation is shared with the prosecutors, which is why no criminal defense attorney in their right mind would ever let their client talk until after the case is adjudicated in the criminal justice system. So, if the accused doesn’t talk to the Title IX investigators, all they have is the word of the accuser/complainant, so it ends up bad for the client even if later the case is dismissed or there’s an acquittal. It’s totally messed up.
And Goose is right, it sounds great until it’s your kid.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-05-22, 19:05

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

It sucks because in today's world it irreparably deprives him of a chance to play in the NFL without any indictment or charges much less a conviction. No one would support that if they were the one in his shoes, especially so if he's innocent.

Sounds like he has a case
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-22, 19:08

Tim Wakefield wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Sounds like he has a case

Not if MSU followed the law. It’s the law that’s fucked up.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-22, 19:11

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

It is totally whack. Plus, any info collected during the Title IX investigation is shared with the prosecutors, which is why no criminal defense attorney in their right mind would ever let their client talk until after the case is adjudicated in the criminal justice system. So, if the accused doesn’t talk to the Title IX investigators, all they have is the word of the accuser/complainant, so it ends up bad for the client even if later the case is dismissed or there’s an acquittal. It’s totally messed up.

Good point about remaining Mum(phery) working against you.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-22, 19:21

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Good point about remaining Mum(phery) working against you.

Well played.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2018-05-22, 19:42

Cut him a slice of the nasser money and make this go away
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-05-22, 21:03

I always liked the kid. He was terrific in interviews about how grateful he was to be a Spartan.

Of course, if he committed the act, all bets are off, but if he is innocent... let him get his slice. I agree with others that the system is pretty fucked up and this is a way to possibly effect some change.

The irony that MSU may have both failed to prosecute/penalize and over-prosecute/penalized sexual assault is mind bottling.

Last edited by SawGreen on 2018-05-22, 22:15; edited 1 time in total
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-05-22, 22:06

Wait, so MSU was apparently too harsh and unfair with a football player (former or not) in regard to a sexual assault allegation? Say it ain't so, Paula. Say it ain't so.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-05-30, 17:38

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/sports/keith-mumphery-michigan-state.html

Great article.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2018-05-30, 17:52

steveschneider wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/sports/keith-mumphery-michigan-state.html

Great article.

Apparently I've reached my limit of free articles for the month. Summary?
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-05-30, 17:58

That was a terrific article. I thought it was very balanced.

Conclusion:

"His mother lives in a trailer. He amassed excellent grades and excelled in sports. None of this inoculates him against the terrible vagaries of human nature. I can’t say what happened in that dorm room on that early evening in March 2015.

I know only this. A prosecutor decided not to bring charges, and a university investigation found Mumphery was not responsible. The only investigation that found him guilty did so apparently without his knowledge and without his offering a defense.

That’s not a good definition of liberty."
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-05-30, 18:30

Yep, those last paragraphs were homeruns and sun it up.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2018-05-31, 22:21

New month, I can read the article. Wow. Seems like Mumph got totally screwed in this. I see MSU's only defense on this is that they tried to contact him, but I don't even know how well that will work. Like the article said, it wouldn't have been hard to find him.

Hope he gets it cleared up and makes it back to the league.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-05-31, 22:35

StylesGShmooth wrote:New month, I can read the article. Wow.  Seems like Mumph got totally screwed in this.   I see MSU's only defense on this is that they tried to contact him, but I don't even know how well that will work.  Like the article said, it wouldn't have been hard to find him.

Hope he gets it cleared up and makes it back to the league.  

Well, don't take Mumphery and his lawyer at face value on that. According to Kathy Redmond, he absolutely knew and is lying.

Really want to post the eye rolling guy but I'm not going to because I have some sympathy for her. Though it is waning.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-06-20, 11:20

I was driving around this morning and the radio was on Glen Beck, was going to change it when he announced he was going to have Mumphery on. Listened to a good part of it, mostly Keith's lawyer talking.
Apparently the school's only method of notifying him they re-opened the case was to send an email to his old student email address.
That alone is incredibly pathetic and makes me think they really wanted to appease the woman in light of the other sexual assault shit storm they were dealing with.
Keith said he didn't know about it until he was on campus for an event the athletic department invited him to (they figured out how to contact him) and was approached by a school representative that told him 'You can't be here, you were expelled.'
In case you're interested, I expect it will be available to listen to later today at https://www.glennbeck.com/st/podcast
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-06-20, 11:34

Glen Beck. Listen to music man.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-06-20, 11:42

DWags wrote:Glen Beck.  Listen to music man.
isn't he the guy who openly mocked President Obama's young children? scratch
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-06-20, 12:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
isn't he the guy who openly mocked President Obama's young children?  scratch

Snowflake....or concern troll?

Oh and then there's this.....I'm sure Bob will soon post his condemnation.

The Office of the First Lady has notified the Secret Service after actor Peter Fonda called for kidnapping Melania and Donald Trump’s son, Barron, The Daily Caller has learned exclusively.

In a tweet sent Wednesday, the actor called for Barron to be “ripped” from Melania’s arms and put in a cage “with pedophiles.”
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-06-20, 13:07

I.B. Fine wrote:
Keith said he didn't know about it until he was on campus for an event the athletic department invited him to (they figured out how to contact him) and was approached by a school representative that told him 'You can't be here, you were expelled.'

Keith Mumphery is suing MSU 502811600 Keith Mumphery is suing MSU 502811600
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-06-20, 13:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it.

... No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, 'Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore,' and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, 'Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death.' And you know, well, I'm not sure." –responding to the question "What would people do for $50 million?", "The Glenn Beck Program," May 17, 2005 

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining." –"The Glenn Beck Program," Sept. 9, 2005 (Source)
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2018-06-20, 13:42

Thread definitely took a turn for the worse just with the name of a political shtick
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-06-20, 13:54

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Keith Mumphery is suing MSU 502811600 Keith Mumphery is suing MSU 502811600

It is comical, if it weren't so pathetic the way that they have damaged the kids life. No new evidence, no investigative errors alleged in the 2 previous investigations that cleared him, the only difference was that the Nassar case was hitting the fan and the school didn't want another 'victim' saying they didn't care. (2 separate investigations was not caring only because they didn't substantiate her claim).
Also, I'm very sorry I mentioned where I heard the interview, I seldom listen to GB, but the subject matter was what was important to me here. I now realize that is wrong and I should only listen to approved outlets. Please forgive me.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-06-20, 13:57

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Snowflake....or concern troll?

Oh and then there's this.....I'm sure Bob will soon post his condemnation.

The Office of the First Lady has notified the Secret Service after actor Peter Fonda called for kidnapping Melania and Donald Trump’s son, Barron, The Daily Caller has learned exclusively.

In a tweet sent Wednesday, the actor called for Barron to be “ripped” from Melania’s arms and put in a cage “with pedophiles.”
Goose is back.. Keith Mumphery is suing MSU 1486952199

what up, Goose!! Keith Mumphery is suing MSU 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-06-20, 13:58

and, Goose, I agree - whoever Peter Fonda is shouldn't have said that.

just like the racist, bigoted sexual predator's former campaign staff mocking the child with Down's Syndrome being kidnapped by the government and put into a cage.

see man.. it's awesome to be morally and intellectually consistent..  Keith Mumphery is suing MSU 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-06-20, 18:22

I.B. Fine wrote:I was driving around this morning and the radio was on Glen Beck, was going to change it when he announced he was going to have Mumphery on. Listened to a good part of it, mostly Keith's lawyer talking.
Apparently the school's only method of notifying him they re-opened the case was to send an email to his old student email address.
That alone is incredibly pathetic and makes me think they really wanted to appease the woman in light of the other sexual assault shit storm they were dealing with.
In case you're interested, I expect it will be available to listen to later today at https://www.glennbeck.com/st/podcast

Starts at around 41:20. I'm just now starting to listen myself.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-07-14, 15:22

Good for him.

Michigan State pays Keith Mumphery $725,000 over campus ban
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte