Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Momo challenge

+13
kingstonlake
StylesGShmooth
Cameron
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
Rocinante
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Momo challenge Empty Momo challenge

Post by InTenSity 2019-02-28, 22:57

I probably just cursed the board, but Wtf? I just got an email from Miami dade schools warning about this shit. This also made me aware of the blue whale challenge. Have I just been naive about all this shit?
For those that don't know. Some type of message comes up with a link to a challenge. The ending challenge could be to tape yourself committing suicide. This is aimed at tweens and teens.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Momo challenge Empty Re: Momo challenge

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-02-28, 23:01

We got an email about the Momo thing from the school district as well. The kids also got talked to by the Principal today. Had to explain the dangers of the internet to my super inquisitive 3rd grader with the Strangelove tragedy top of mind. Wasn't easy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-02-28, 23:10

Jesus.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-02-28, 23:12

My wife just told me, in the Philippines an 11 year old killed themself and a 6 year old was instructed to kill 10 people or Momo would kill them and their parents.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-02-28, 23:53

If it makes you feel better....

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/02/momo-challenge-hoax/583825/

Summary- it’s not real. And neither is the blue whale thing that inten mentioned.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-03-01, 00:11

It’s called “souping”. I’m Peter DeSantos.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-03-01, 00:18

Here's what I got.

You may have seen information shared on social and traditional media about videos targeting children called the “Momo Challenge.” These videos reportedly encourage children to engage in self-harm and/or perform dares, specifically telling them not to tell parents about the activity.

Two important things to note:

We have no reports of TSD students accessing these videos or engaging in this activity.

Much of the information shared on social media about this may not be accurate. For instance, original reports said the videos were available on YouTube Kids, which the company denies. Other reports name this as a new phenomenon, when these messages have been circulating online for at least two years.
What some experts say does seem to be happening now is that hackers may have inserted these “Momo videos” into other videos and games that normally attract young viewers. This reportedly is not isolated to any specific app, online game or website. Here is some more information for parents:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2019/02/27/dont-panic-what-parents-really-need-to-know-about-momo-challenge/#6bc120463a4b

The critical takeaway from this is that parents are the best safeguard for children online. Monitoring which websites and content your children view and continually talking with them about internet safety is the most effective way to ensure that they safe online.

In terms of TSD issued iPads, students have never been able to access YouTube Kids (or regular YouTube) and cannot download the app. The same applies to Fortnite and other online games and apps. Content filters are in place that prevents these videos from being accessed individually—both on iPads anywhere and on other devices when connected to TSD wireless internet. But if the hacking reports are accurate, they illustrate another reason why it’s important for parents to be vigilant at home with all online activity.

None of this is intended to frighten parents, though the idea of videos targeting children is scary on its own. We are bringing you this information proactively, so you can continue to have conversations with your family about how to stay safe online.

Here is a good resource about talking to your children about this and other internet “challenges”:

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Other-Resources/News/Know-Momo-and-her-Deadly-Challenge-to-our-Youth

And finally, we have a fantastic resource for issues like this here in the Troy School District—and that is our parent organized “Tech Talks.” Tech Talks hold regular events for parents to learn more about how to help children safely navigate online. The next event takes place on March 13 at 7 pm in the Services Building (4420 Livernois Rd.) FLYER: Tech Talks March 13.pdf Topics will include technology and the law, monitoring and filtering software, cyber bullying and sexting. This session is specifically for parents (no students please) and space is limited, RSVP to https://bit.ly/2sImAlp.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 00:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Here's what I got.

You may have seen information shared on social and traditional media about videos targeting children called the “Momo Challenge.” These videos reportedly encourage children to engage in self-harm and/or perform dares, specifically telling them not to tell parents about the activity.

Two important things to note:

We have no reports of TSD students accessing these videos or engaging in this activity.

Much of the information shared on social media about this may not be accurate. For instance, original reports said the videos were available on YouTube Kids, which the company denies. Other reports name this as a new phenomenon, when these messages have been circulating online for at least two years.
What some experts say does seem to be happening now is that hackers may have inserted these “Momo videos” into other videos and games that normally attract young viewers. This reportedly is not isolated to any specific app, online game or website. Here is some more information for parents:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2019/02/27/dont-panic-what-parents-really-need-to-know-about-momo-challenge/#6bc120463a4b

The critical takeaway from this is that parents are the best safeguard for children online. Monitoring which websites and content your children view and continually talking with them about internet safety is the most effective way to ensure that they safe online.

In terms of TSD issued iPads, students have never been able to access YouTube Kids (or regular YouTube) and cannot download the app. The same applies to Fortnite and other online games and apps. Content filters are in place that prevents these videos from being accessed individually—both on iPads anywhere and on other devices when connected to TSD wireless internet. But if the hacking reports are accurate, they illustrate another reason why it’s important for parents to be vigilant at home with all online activity.

None of this is intended to frighten parents, though the idea of videos targeting children is scary on its own. We are bringing you this information proactively, so you can continue to have conversations with your family about how to stay safe online.

Here is a good resource about talking to your children about this and other internet “challenges”:

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Other-Resources/News/Know-Momo-and-her-Deadly-Challenge-to-our-Youth

And finally, we have a fantastic resource for issues like this here in the Troy School District—and that is our parent organized “Tech Talks.” Tech Talks hold regular events for parents to learn more about how to help children safely navigate online. The next event takes place on March 13 at 7 pm in the Services Building (4420 Livernois Rd.) FLYER: Tech Talks March 13.pdf Topics will include technology and the law, monitoring and filtering software, cyber bullying and sexting. This session is specifically for parents (no students please) and space is limited, RSVP to https://bit.ly/2sImAlp.

I assume you copy pasted that, and also I stopped there because sometimes these school admin people *eye roll emoji*

You have an entire English department sitting right there. Run it by them for some editing you guys. It’s okay. They’ll do it for free.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-03-01, 07:56

Hopefully the internet is blown up by the time my kid gets to be this age. Calling dibs on Ty's bunker right now.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-03-01, 08:02

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Hopefully the internet is blown up by the time my kid gets to be this age. Calling dibs on Ty's bunker right now.
My daughter knew my wife's code to her phone before she could talk.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 08:29

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Hopefully the internet is blown up by the time my kid gets to be this age. Calling dibs on Ty's bunker right now.

It still will just be a viral hoax that isn’t real and doesn’t exist.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 08:29

You supposedly smart folks are falling for this one hard ain’t ya
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-03-01, 08:32

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

It still will just be a viral hoax that isn’t real and doesn’t exist.

It will be soon now that it's being discussed.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-03-01, 08:35

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You supposedly smart folks are falling for this one hard ain’t ya
TBF, I hadn't heard of this until yesterday. I didn't really start looking into it until last night when the school sent out an email about it. At that point I thought I'd look. Reading through different things, it may or may not be a hoax. SE Asia and India seem to be the most concerned.

I thought the fine folks on this board might have heard about it. You guys are better than snopes.

Edit - My daughters teacher even spoke to the class about the Momo challenge. My daughter is always wanting to do challenge now. For instance, for her birthday, she wants to play the Parent can't say No, challenge. There's all sorts of things out there, I try to watch from a distance, so that she can explore, but also tell her to change it away from anything I start to find questionable.

Last edited by InTenSity on 2019-03-01, 08:38; edited 1 time in total
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 08:37

InTenSity wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You supposedly smart folks are falling for this one hard ain’t ya
TBF, I hadn't heard of this until yesterday. I didn't really start looking into it until last night when the school sent out an email about it. At that point I thought I'd look. Reading through different things, it may or may not be a hoax. SE Asia and India seem to be the most concerned.

I thought the fine folks on this board might have heard about it. You guys are better than snopes.

Think what you want but there aren’t subliminal messages in YouTube videos telling kids to kill themselves.

If it were real you would see, well, the videos.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-03-01, 08:42

InTenSity wrote:

Think what you want but there aren’t subliminal messages in YouTube videos telling kids to kill themselves.

Oh, this isn't about subliminal messages in youtube video's. Not telling kids to kill themselves. This supposedly works, starting with youtube and then knowing how to use a messenger app, like Whatsapp.
Once the 'game' is started, the kids are asked to do challenges, but they get darker and darker. It might start off with staying in your room with the lights off for 2 hours and not talking to anyone. Then move on to other challenges, finally with threats to either the kid or their family if they don't follow through.
This isn't satanic verses if you play dark side of the moon backwards.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 08:44

InTenSity wrote:

Oh, this isn't about subliminal messages in youtube video's. Not telling kids to kill themselves. This supposedly works, starting with youtube and then knowing how to use a messenger app, like Whatsapp.
Once the 'game' is started, the kids are asked to do challenges, but they get darker and darker. It might start off with staying in your room with the lights off for 2 hours and not talking to anyone. Then move on to other challenges, finally with threats to either the kid or their family if they don't follow through.
This isn't satanic verses if you play dark side of the moon backwards.

But, like, there is no actual evidence of any of this actually existing.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-03-01, 08:55

I didn't really look into it. But if it's another reason to keep my kids off of YouTube/social media I'm using it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-01, 08:59

I don't think the argument should be "is it real or not" - if one child harms themselves because of this, regardless of the authenticity or perceived authenticity, it's very real to that child, his/her family and friends.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 09:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't think the argument should be "is it real or not" - if one child harms themselves because of this, regardless of the authenticity or perceived authenticity, it's very real to that child, his/her family and friends.

Because of what though? What is “this”? And what’s the appropriate level of response? Should school districts world wide be sending out typo ridden emails inciting panic about.... well.... what?

You should of course monitor what your kids do online. There are a lot of creeps out there. Just look at greenway.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-03-01, 09:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't think the argument should be "is it real or not" - if one child harms themselves because of this, regardless of the authenticity or perceived authenticity, it's very real to that child, his/her family and friends.

Because of what though? What is “this”? And what’s the appropriate level of response? Should school districts world wide be sending out typo ridden emails inciting panic about.... well.... what?

You should of course monitor what your kids do online. There are a lot of creeps out there. Just look at greenway.
Slenderman wasn't "real" either until the little girl killed the other little girl.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-01, 10:19

Psa from school: please parent your children, parents. Thank you.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-01, 10:37

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Slenderman wasn't "real" either until the little girl killed the other little girl.
yep - hence my point.. Slenderman wasn't real.. but it became very real for those families very quickly.

and though I agree with OTPT about "parents, please parent your children", it's not always as simple as that. Not all of us are as well-equipped as others, in terms of parenting. We might not have access to appropriate resources, we might be distracted working 3 jobs because we have bills to pay, we might be sick and unable to provide the attention that a situation might demand..

heck, I had two parents who were somewhat engaged.. but I can tell you right now, the difference in me and other kids I knew from school that ended up in really bad situations was simply because I either never got caught or was able to talk myself out of a particular circumstance.

whether it's coaches, neighbors, teachers, or other parents, it takes a village to raise our children and if the schools feel as though they need to reach out to make parents aware of potential dangers, I think that's a good thing.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 10:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:
yep - hence my point.. Slenderman wasn't real.. but it became very real for those families very quickly.

and though I agree with OTPT about "parents, please parent your children", it's not quite as simple as that. Not all of us are as well-equipped as others, in terms of parenting. We might not have access to appropriate resources, we might be distracted working 3 jobs because we have bills to pay, we might be sick and unable to provide the attention that a situation might demand..

it takes a village to raise our children and if the schools feel as though they need to reach out to make parents aware of potential dangers, I think that's a good thing.

Bob the problem is that there has to be proportionality. If you busy freaking out parents about a Momo that doesn’t exist, making people think that some mysterious figure is trying to send their children subliminal messages, when really no such thing exists, then all you’ve achieved is distracting them from real actual online threats that really do exist.

Over here on the right hand of the screen “MOMO IS REAL AND YOUR KIDS ARE GOING TO KILL THEMESLEVES WE ARE SENDING EMAILS AND YOU ALL NEED TO BE AWARE OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHH”

Over here on the left hand of the screen “over here we actually are trying to take money from your kids, poison their brains, turn them into racists, maybe make them curious about meth or some shit, or turn them into some alt right flat earth 9/11 denier lunatic. Thankfully you’re too busy looking for subliminal messages that don’t exist to notice what I’m doing.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-03-01, 10:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:yep - hence my point.. Slenderman wasn't real.. but it became very real for those families very quickly.

and though I agree with OTPT about "parents, please parent your children", it's not quite as simple as that. Not all of us are as well-equipped as others, in terms of parenting. We might not have access to appropriate resources, we might be distracted working 3 jobs because we have bills to pay, we might be sick and unable to provide the attention that a situation might demand..

it takes a village to raise our children and if the schools feel as though they need to reach out to make parents aware of potential dangers, I think that's a good thing.

Bob the problem is that there has to be proportionality. If you busy freaking out parents about a Momo that doesn’t exist, making people think that some mysterious figure is trying to send their children subliminal messages, when really no such thing exists, then all you’ve achieved is distracting them from real actual online threats that really do exist.

Over here on the right hand of the screen “MOMO IS REAL AND YOUR KIDS ARE GOING TO KILL THEMESLEVES WE ARE SENDING EMAILS AND YOU ALL NEED TO BE AWARE OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHH”

Over here on the left hand of the screen “over here we actually are trying to take money from your kids, poison their brains, turn them into racists, maybe make them curious about meth or some shit, or turn them into some alt right flat earth 9/11 denier lunatic. Thankfully you’re too busy looking for subliminal messages that don’t exist to notice what I’m doing.

It kind of seems like you're freaking out.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 10:46

NigelUno wrote:

Not really Nigel.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-03-01, 10:51

NigelUno wrote:

Not really Nigel.

Yes, really...you are.

It's a message board freak out, but still a freak out.

Settle down.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-03-01, 10:53

NigelUno wrote:

Not really Nigel.

Yes, really...you are.

Settle down.

Okay Nigel.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-01, 10:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:yep - hence my point.. Slenderman wasn't real.. but it became very real for those families very quickly.

I agree.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-01, 11:04

To travis’ point - when it comes to marketing to kids, we don’t give a fuck. Capitalism, baby.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-03-01, 11:59

NigelUno wrote:

Yes, really...you are.

Settle down.

Okay Nigel.

Thank you.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-03-01, 12:04

Nigel is the expert on message boards freak outs. Glad you were able to get Travis calmed down, good job.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-03-01, 12:40

Travis is out of control!!!!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-03-01, 12:49

Someone get me my tranquilizer gun.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-01, 13:16

Momo challenge 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-03-01, 13:45

Momo challenge Giphy

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2019-03-01, 19:05

I bet they'll be real copycats to this fake threat now.  All the PSAs that they duped people into sending might have spoke it into existence.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-03-01, 20:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:To travis’ point - when it comes to marketing to kids, we don’t give a fuck. Capitalism, baby.

Pretty much covers it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-03-01, 20:26

kingstonlake wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:To travis’ point - when it comes to marketing to kids, we don’t give a fuck. Capitalism, baby.

Pretty much covers it.

Remember joe camel? OTPT nails it. They know a kid will be loyal to a cigarette brand and beer they start with, so they hit up the kids.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-03-01, 20:27

DWags wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Pretty much covers it.

Remember joe camel? OTPT nails it. They know a kid will be loyal to a cigarette brand and beer they start with, so they hit up the kids.

I'm old.............................so yes.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next