Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State of California vs. NCAA

5 posters

Go down

Article State of California vs. NCAA

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 24 Jun 2019 - 16:03

This ought to bring things to a head.

NCAA says California schools could be banned from championships if bill isn't dropped

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Article Re: State of California vs. NCAA

Post by StylesGShmooth Mon 24 Jun 2019 - 16:15

Don't understand why they're passing a bill. It's already legal for them to make money on their name and likeness. It's just against NCAA rules. I like the sentiminet, I just don't understand what this would change.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 24 Jun 2019 - 16:20

I think it comes down to this:

Bill Dodd (D-Napa) said he initially had reservations about the bill, he now believes it appropriately positions California to be a leader in pressing for national change. “What we’re doing," he said, "is setting a marker. … Having this date set forward in 2023 allows the NCAA to do the job that they should be doing not just for California, but for all other 49 states in our great union.”

The NCAA isn't going to change unless someone forces their hand.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 24 Jun 2019 - 16:28

Floyd Robertson wrote:I think it comes down to this:

Bill Dodd (D-Napa) said he initially had reservations about the bill, he now believes it appropriately positions California to be a leader in pressing for national change. “What we’re doing," he said, "is setting a marker. … Having this date set forward in 2023 allows the NCAA to do the job that they should be doing not just for California, but for all other 49 states in our great union.”

The NCAA isn't going to change unless someone forces their hand.

Yep. Were it not for this bill, it would be easy to predict whatever ncaa group is looking into this would come back sometime down the road having decided to table the idea or recommend looking into it further. The CA bill works as a countermeasure to those stall tactics.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 8 Oct 2019 - 11:35

Easy there Mark Few.......

Kinda sounds like he doesn’t care for the governor of California

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/gonzaga-coach-mark-few-rips-california-gov-gavin-newsom/ar-AAIrjWe?li=BBnb7Kz

"First of all I would love to figure out a way — and I think we got a great group of people working on that — what I find totally disappointing and disgusting is that a governor is wasting his time grandstanding around in something that he doesn't really understand when .00001 percent of his constituents are going to be impacted by this.  

"He should probably stay in his lane — like I tell my players — and figure out homelessness and I think he's got a state that borders Mexico and get that mess figured out, and the budget and some things like that..."
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 29 Oct 2019 - 14:07

NCAA is reversing course and allowing student athletes to profit off their name. Unless USA Today got this wrong.

The NCAA is finally embracing “change” and starting the process of allowing student-athletes to profit off of their name, image, and likeness the organization announced on Tuesday.

“We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes,” Board of Governors chairman and president of Ohio State University Michael V. Drake said in a statement. “Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education. This modernization for the future is a natural extension of the numerous steps NCAA members have taken in recent years to improve support for student-athletes, including full cost of attendance and guaranteed scholarships.”
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down