Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricane Dorian

+14
The Pantry
I.B. Fine
DWags
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hurricane Dorian Empty Hurricane Dorian

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-28, 15:59

Time for a thread for this fucker. South Florida is only on the very edge of the cone at this point, so fingers crossed that the projected path doesn't shift further South (it's already a little bit further South than it was this morning). It could be headed straight for the Space Coast. Hope it doesn't do much damage, I really like that area.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Dorian Empty Re: Hurricane Dorian

Post by InTenSity 2019-08-28, 16:07

Don't go to Orlando this weekend. I think it will hit Jacksoville and go up the Eastern starboard, if I'm using the correct terminology.
Other models have it going through the I5 corridor and then coming back up through the panhandle. Either way, I think we'll have a nice weekend, or a wet one. I guess it also depends on the high pressure system and if that pushes the storm down or lets it move north.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-08-28, 16:11

NUKE IT!!!!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-28, 16:36

InTenSity wrote:Don't go to Orlando this weekend. I think it will hit Jacksoville and go up the Eastern starboard, if I'm using the correct terminology.
Other models have it going through the I5 corridor and then coming back up through the panhandle. Either way, I think we'll have a nice weekend, or a wet one. I guess it also depends on the high pressure system and if that pushes the storm down or lets it move north.
On the other hand, lines may be a bit shorter than usual at Disney!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-28, 16:37

Time for Anderson Cooper to put on a slicker and do some reporting out in hurricane winds.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-28, 17:45

steveschneider wrote:Time for Anderson Cooper to put on a slicker and do some reporting out in hurricane winds.
Can't wait for my family in Michigan to start freaking out as the national news makes it sound like the entire state of Florida is about to get battered and wiped off the map.

The local news folks are just excited as hell to have a hurricane to cover.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-08-28, 18:12

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Time for Anderson Cooper to put on a slicker and do some reporting out in hurricane winds.
Can't wait for my family in Michigan to start freaking out as the national news makes it sound like the entire state of Florida is about to get battered and wiped off the map.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a prediction like that. We must watch different national news broadcasts.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-08-28, 18:36

Give me the nuke codes.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-28, 22:15

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a prediction like that. We must watch different national news broadcasts.
Yes, sensationalism. They like to show those satellite pictures that show the big huge cloud spiral of a hurricane that is hundreds of miles wide, and make it sound like people are getting battered under all of that, when in reality the dangerous portion is a fraction of that. I've had friends and family worried sick, while we weren't even getting any rain or wind to speak of.

And then there was Shepherd Smith a couple of years ago saying, "If you dont leave, you will die!"
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-08-28, 22:21

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yes, sensationalism.  They like to show those satellite pictures that show the big huge cloud spiral of a hurricane that is hundreds of miles wide, and make it sound like people are getting battered under all of that, when in reality the dangerous portion is a fraction of that. I've had friends and family worried sick, while we weren't even getting any rain or wind to speak of.

And then there was Shepherd Smith a couple of years ago saying, "If you dont leave, you will die!"
To be fair, at that point 3 islands has been wiped out and Irma had Miami in her sights 2 days out. 90% of Dade had no power for at least a week and that was a glancing blow. We got lucky.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-29, 06:44

It wasn't Irma that I was talking about. I think it was Matthew with both cases that I mentioned.

Irma was legit, of course, and being so big it brought hurricane conditions to Miami and most the whole state. They might have closed schools as a precaution for Matthew, but we didnt get anything from it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-08-29, 07:04

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yeah, I have limited experience with them in NYC but to me Irene was a joke. There was a persistent wind all day and a sprinkling rain. I don’t think I even needed an umbrella.

Sandy was a little more Intimidating, but like a dumb ass I went out towards the end of the block just to see what the storm was all about. The traffic lights were swaying, the stop signs were shaking and I saw some damage from the persistent wind but nothing major and I’ve been out doors in stronger winds. Through it all the Chinese restaurant up the street was out on their scooter delivering Chinese food. But I think all this stuff is about location, my friend a few miles away said he thought he was going to die. Saw water rising on his street and he said the wind was super intense.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-08-29, 07:05

What’s the latest Miami?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-29, 07:45

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-08-29, 07:47

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:NUKE IT!!!!

Just build a wall, that'll stop it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-08-29, 08:09

MiamiSpartan wrote:It wasn't Irma that I was talking about. I think it was Matthew with both cases that I mentioned.

Irma was legit, of course, and being so big it brought hurricane conditions to Miami and most the whole state. They might have closed schools as a precaution for Matthew, but we didnt get anything from it.
Matthew wiped Mexico Beach off the map. I think with a Cat 5 barreling down on a part of Florida that is not as prepared, it might have been hyperbole, but he also wasn't that far off.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-29, 08:12

it'll build a tunnel underneath the wall.. I vote for nuking it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-08-29, 09:45

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-08-29, 09:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it'll build a tunnel underneath the wall.. I vote for nuking it.

Or hide in a shipping crate. You open that thing up and it's all, "Surprise motherfucker!"
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-29, 09:52

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Or hide in a shipping crate. You open that thing up and it's all, "Surprise motherfucker!"
BAM!!

I'm here to kill all y'all muthaf**kers.....

#MAGA

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2019-08-29, 09:53; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-08-29, 09:52

I just googled for the latest trajectory and google search results returned a few tweets, one from the Governor of Florida, and one from someone else who tweeted: "We are tracking closely tropical storm Dorian as it heads, as usual, to Puerto Rico."

WTF? Hurricane Dorian 1966794946 Hurricane Dorian 1966794946
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-08-29, 09:56

[tw]1167062606059888646[/tw]

Hurricane Dorian 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-29, 13:26

InTenSity wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:It wasn't Irma that I was talking about. I think it was Matthew with both cases that I mentioned.

Matthew wiped Mexico Beach off the map. I think with a Cat 5 barreling down on a part of Florida that is not as prepared, it might have been hyperbole, but he also wasn't that far off.
That was Michael that hit Mexico Beach. Either way, my point wasn't that storms shouldn't be taken seriously. They absolutely should. My point was that the national news was greatly exaggerating (by several hundred miles) the areas that were hit, and we were so little affected that it never even occurred to me that my family was thinking I got slammed.

I'm all for the news warning of worst case scenarios (the Shepherd Smith thing was a little over the top, but more funny than anything, and he was just being sensationalistic).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-29, 13:29

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-29, 13:30

kingstonlake wrote:What’s the latest Miami?
The center of the cone of death still looks to be up North of Palm Beach, but we're still in the cone in Miami, and people are preparing. I had to go to 5 stores this morning before I found water. Gas lines are already long, as well.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-08-29, 13:55

There's a guy I used to work with that lives in Jupiter now. Looks like this fucker is headed right at him.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-08-29, 13:56

MiamiSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:What’s the latest Miami?
The center of the cone of death still looks to be up North of Palm Beach, but we're still in the cone in Miami, and people are preparing. I had to go to 5 stores this morning before I found water. Gas lines are already long, as well.

Is the water shut off already? Why don't you just buy empty jugs and fill them yourself?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-29, 14:14

Jake from State Farm wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
The center of the cone of death still looks to be up North of Palm Beach, but we're still in the cone in Miami, and people are preparing.  I had to go to 5 stores this morning before I found water.  Gas lines are already long, as well.  

Is the water shut off already? Why don't you just buy empty jugs and fill them yourself?
Not many people trust tap water for drinking in significant quantities around here. Maybe that was just a thing with my wife and her family that I picked up, but with hysteria over water any time a storm threatens, I'd guess quite a lot of people are the same.  I suppose I could fill up jugs with the water thing on the fridge that is filtered if a storm was here and we hadn't gotten any bottled water, but that would take forever.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-29, 14:18

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-08-29, 14:20

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

Not many people trust tap water for drinking in significant quantities around here.  Maybe that was just a thing with my wife and her family that I picked up, but with hysteria over water any time a storm threatens, I'd guess quite a lot of people are the same.  I suppose I could fill up jugs with the water thing on the fridge that is filtered if a storm was here and we hadn't gotten any bottled water, but that would take forever.

You can get a reverse osmosis filter that runs through your kitchen tap for fairly cheap. Kind of late now, but you can do 50 to 100 gallons per day with the small ones. I use it for my fish tank and always have  ten or fifteen gallons of water sitting around. Keep it cool and it should stay fresh quite awhile
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-30, 11:26

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-08-30, 11:38

So if I'm reading this right the weather looks OK for Labor Day weekend.

[tw]1167460871196545024[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-08-30, 11:45

Yeah I just got off of a call with my team down there. They're on the gulf side but they're expecting the work week to be affected. They are excited because they say it seems like every time one hits it's on a weekend.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-08-30, 11:46

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yeah I just got off of a call with my team down there. They're on the gulf side but they're expecting the work week to be affected. They are excited because they say it seems like every time one hits it's on a weekend.
you have a team?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-30, 12:49

Floyd Robertson wrote:So if I'm reading this right the weather looks OK for Labor Day weekend.

Good for sailing!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-08-30, 12:52

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:So if I'm reading this right the weather looks OK for Labor Day weekend.

Good for sailing!

Or surfing, you can ride the riptides out and the waves back in.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-08-31, 09:33

Looks like we might avoid most of this one down here (knock on wood), but still a lot of danger further up Florida, Geirgia, and the Carolinas. Hopefully it stays far enough off the coast to not be too bad.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-09-01, 11:13

Holy fuck, this thing is powerful, as it is starting to hit the Bahamas. 180mph maximum sustained winds. 180mph! And it is moving so damn slow, just adding hours and hours to the time that the winds will be battering those poor people in the Bahamas.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-09-01, 11:16

I've heard some rumblings that some models are saying it might not be headed up the coast after all and might hit FL. Any news on that?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-09-01, 11:20

Jesus, good luck Fla peeps.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte