Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Much Damage Did OTL Do?

+5
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
Banks2Mason
kingstonlake
steveschneider
9 posters

Go down

How Much Damage Did OTL Do?  Empty How Much Damage Did OTL Do?

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 10:52

That piece of shit report defamed our two coaches and I actually think it did Dantonio in.

There's a lot of people that firmly believe he's covering stuff up and is a really evil man that is letting his players get away with serious crimes. I used to see them all the time on Twitter, Facebook and calling in during Valenti's show. I know people like to write this shit off as knuckle dragger places but truth is these folks are empowered and they have a megaphone now with the internet.

Sadly perception is reality and that piece of shit program created a horrible perception about those two. I think because the Max Bullough suspension was done in a way where they didn't release details to the public (for good reason) and then the 2016 debacle even though Dantonio did the right thing we live in a fact free world now where people believe he was covering up for those players. I think Dantonio was a casualty to the OTL report. Fuck youuuuu ESPN!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

How Much Damage Did OTL Do?  Empty Re: How Much Damage Did OTL Do?

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-01, 11:01

I’ll go with 0-5%

Sooooo a lot less than a rival coach sitting on a recruits coach and telling him the team that’s 107th in total offense is keeping the same staff.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2019-11-01, 11:08

kingstonlake wrote:I’ll go with 0-5%

Sooooo a lot less than a rival coach sitting on a recruits coach and telling him the team that’s 107th in total offense is keeping the same staff.

Correct. Sadly, recruits don't give a shit about this stuff. PSU had a massive scandal actually involving the football program where a guy went to prison for LIFE and it took, what, like 2 years before they were recruiting at an elite level again?
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-11-01, 11:09

Probably has more to do with Blackwell and poisoning the well in Detroit than anything else. I think there are a myriad of issues.
1) Its implied here and elsewhere that the assistant coaches don't do a good job recruiting.
2) Other coaches are paying attention to who MSU recruits, especially if it is under the radar and poaching those recruits. I have no idea if this is true and I don't really pay attention to recruiting.
3) The O-Line is a complete disaster.
4-20) Lots of other issues
21) The OTL report.

If you are getting all your information from Detnews or Freep or ESPN, then you are correct.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 11:10

Banks2Mason wrote:

Correct. Sadly, recruits don't give a shit about this stuff. PSU had a massive scandal actually involving the football program where a guy went to prison for LIFE and it took, what, like 2 years before they were recruiting at an elite level again?

I don't know though, I think they are different. Dantonio can sell pro receivers in the NFL and pro QBs. I mean does that good will fade that fast?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2019-11-01, 11:12

steveschneider wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

I don't know though, I think they are different. Dantonio can sell pro receivers in the NFL and pro QBs. I mean does that good will fade that fast?

Honestly, I don't think they were ever particularly good recruiters, especially on offense.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 11:13

I guess my one call out vs PSU is that things are so much more fact free now. I really see people spouting off loony stuff about Dantonio covering stuff up, being a big time cheater and that he's a terrible human suppressing justice.  I felt like people had all sorts of opinions about Joe Pa and PSU but I felt like most of the debates were around information from the news papers. This is just loony infowars/Qanon level conspiracy around him and I think OTL really fed into it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-11-01, 11:13

steveschneider wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

I don’t know Steve. I still think it’s a hard sell.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 11:14

Banks2Mason wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Honestly, I don't think they were ever particularly good recruiters, especially on offense.

I agree on OL, but they have big time pro RB, QB and some WRs in the league. Was it just blind luck?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 11:15

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I don’t know Steve. I still think it’s a hard sell.

So then I was right about needing to modernize the offense?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2019-11-01, 11:20

steveschneider wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

I agree on OL, but they have big time pro RB, QB and some WRs in the league. Was it just blind luck?

It's very possible. Cook, Cousins, and Bell were all very low-rated recruits and we lucked out hard.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-11-01, 11:25

steveschneider wrote:I guess my one call out vs PSU is that things are so much more fact free now. I really see people spouting off loony stuff about Dantonio covering stuff up, being a big time cheater and that he's a terrible human suppressing justice.  I felt like people had all sorts of opinions about Joe Pa and PSU but I felt like most of the debates were around information from the news papers. This is just loony infowars/Qanon level conspiracy around him and I think OTL really fed into it.
What and where were you reading stuff, or hearing it? Granted, outside of game days, I don't pay a lot of attention, I have too many other things going on in my life.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2019-11-01, 11:28

InTenSity wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I guess my one call out vs PSU is that things are so much more fact free now. I really see people spouting off loony stuff about Dantonio covering stuff up, being a big time cheater and that he's a terrible human suppressing justice.  I felt like people had all sorts of opinions about Joe Pa and PSU but I felt like most of the debates were around information from the news papers. This is just loony infowars/Qanon level conspiracy around him and I think OTL really fed into it.
What and where were you reading stuff, or hearing it? Granted, outside of game days, I don't pay a lot of attention, I have too many other things going on in my life.

I've been told by virtually every MSU fan I know outside of Michigan that the OTL thing more or less came and went long ago.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 11:32

InTenSity wrote:

Twitter, FB and the Valenti show back in the day whenever the OTL piece came up. You'd hear grown adults call in convinced that he is covering shit up. I went to Twitter yesterday when I saw the Solari thing, go to the comment sections. Sadly we live in a fact free world where I think there's gotta be people around recruits, at high school power houses the regurgitate this shit and put it out there. Every article that Couch posts you'll see multiple Walverines accusing couch of covering up for Dantonio. I think this all ties into the fake news, fact free conspiracy world.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 11:56

Also, I think a lot of these morons see the latest Blackwell thing as damning evidence.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-11-01, 12:00

Rcmb thread. Pass.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-11-01, 12:15

Just out of curiosity since I’m not sure does steve think it’s a fact free world or no
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-01, 12:24

Blackwell and 16.

You wanted change to his formula you got it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 12:34

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Just out of curiosity since I’m not sure does steve think it’s a fact free world or no

I believe in more facts than you.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-11-01, 12:38

steveschneider wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Just out of curiosity since I’m not sure does steve think it’s a fact free world or no

I believe in more facts than you.

What #factfreeworld
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2019-11-01, 13:26

Banks2Mason wrote:

I can't find it now, but didn't KJ Hamler just tweet or say something to the effect that he wasn't sure about the integrity of some players at MSU?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2019-11-01, 13:29

SawGreen wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

I can't find it now, but didn't KJ Hamler just tweet or say something to the effect that he wasn't sure about the integrity of some players at MSU?

i don't personally recall it, but i believe on the broadcast of the game they "quoted" him as saying he saw some his friends at MSU going down the wrong path or something. which, depending on who those friends were, might be 100% accurate.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-01, 14:10

Banks2Mason wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

i don't personally recall it, but i believe on the broadcast of the game they "quoted" him as saying he saw some his friends at MSU going down the wrong path or something. which, depending on who those friends were, might be 100% accurate.
Yeah, when they said that my first thought was if he was friends with Corely or others? Of course, ABC/ESPN isn't going to provide any context as to whether or not his friends might be pieces of shit, and/or have nothing to do with MSU athletics. Instead they imply that MSU turned them bad. Fuckwits.

But anyway, Steve is again proving Cameron right. How is the OTL report going to have this affect when the upperclassmen that should be our best players and leaders were recruited before any of that came out?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2019-11-01, 14:18

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

Yeah, when they said that my first thought was if he was friends with Corely or others? Of course, ABC/ESPN isn't going to provide any context as to whether or not his friends might be pieces of shit, and/or have nothing to do with MSU athletics. Instead they imply that MSU turned them bad. Fuckwits.

But anyway, Steve is again proving Cameron right. How is the OTL report going to have this affect when the upperclassmen that should be our best players and leaders were recruited before any of that came out?

Not this is new. Wasn't the rumor that Malik's mom didn't want him to go to MSU due to the culture or whatever? Not that there isn't a "culture" at every big time college program. That's kind of how it works.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-01, 14:53

I don't know, but then how is it that MSU is often considered the "holy roller" football team? That Dantonio is overly religious. 97.1 used to say that about us, that the religious theme kept by Dantonio was turning kids off.

Look, I get what happens, when it rains it pours. If you're rolling everybody rolls with you, if you are going bad, and there isn't team problems, then it's too religious.

From an article after the Rosebowl:

When he's home, Dantonio and his wife of 23 years, Becky, watch Homeland or other shows involving espionage, or football. They hang out with their daughters, Kristen and Lauren, both MSU students, as much as possible. And when he has free time, Dantonio takes on home projects, though his last one did not go as hoped. "Our garbage disposal — let's just say he left it with a hole in the sink," Becky said. "He did try." When they listen to music, it's usually country or Christian. And that signifies another important part of Dantonio's life and football program. "He puts God first," MSU freshman running back Delton Williams said of Dantonio in the euphoric locker room after the win against Ohio State "[b]And we put God first. Why do you think we're doing this?" 'Is it smoke or is it real?' Dantonio was born and raised Catholic. He quotes scripture often, and several MSU players have said his openness about religion helped make their decisions to play for the Spartans. "It was a big factor for me," MSU junior defensive end Marcus Rush said. "I think it gives recruits and their parents confidence that he's actually a legit, good guy. You can tell he's not just throwing it out there." Dantonio said he isn't using it as a recruiting pitch — but he isn't hiding it, either. "You can talk about your faith or you can live your faith," he said. "You can talk about this program's culture, or you can be in this culture, live this culture. There's a difference there. Michigan State Spartans head coach Mark Dantonio. "And I do want people to feel comfortable that,[/b] if faith is a part of their life … I want them to feel they can come here and express themselves. I don't care. I'm not here to convert people." wrote:

How faith and hard work brought Dantonio championships

So, I guess it was all smoke and mirrors then, the guy was lying to recruits and everyone for ever and maybe he fooled guys like Rush et al, or Cousins. I'm not buying anything about the "culture" right now, because the team sucks, and there will always be people who pile on.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-11-01, 14:55

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

Miami, you have bitched about the OTL report just as much if not more than anyone on here. I know because I've enjoyed your rants/posts about it. I'm shocked you don't think this hasn't had an impact on the demise of MSU football.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-11-01, 17:26

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Miami, you have bitched about the OTL report just as much if not more than anyone on here. I know because I've enjoyed your rants/posts about it. I'm shocked you don't think this hasn't had an impact on the demise of MSU football.
I absolutely have, and will always do so. But that came out in early 2018, and our junior and senior classes were already on campus. And our senior class specifically was part of a recruiting class that contributed to that report and has been a fucking disaster.

Even if I felt the OTL report was to blame, I would never give them credit for doing what they set out to do (damage the program), so I sure as hell aren't going to credit them for hurting recruiting of classes that were already here when they did the hatchet job.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down