Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs

+7
DWags
SeeRockCity
InTenSity
WBill
Rocinante
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
11 posters

Go down

Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs Empty Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs

Post by Giant Moose 2014-07-11, 11:49

Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs SrGxAOc Michigan State meets 3 of the 4 criteria of past Big Ten champions, according to ESPN's Josh Moyer. The Spartans rank within the top 40 of scoring defense, rank within the top 30 of rush defense, and control the turnover battle and the clock. The Spartans only flaw is that they do not rank within the top 30 of rush offense.

Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs KHgKD3H
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs Empty Re: Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs

Post by Turtleneck 2014-07-11, 12:03

Giant Moose wrote:The Spartans only flaw is that they do not rank within the top 30 of rush offense.

Scrap the program.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs Empty Re: Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-11, 12:06

Ease off the gas pedal until we see how they do against oregon.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-07-11, 12:12

MSU will never be near the top of the rushing statistics because they treat their QB's as passers not just another running back who throws.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-11, 12:13

Rocinante wrote:Ease off the gas pedal until we see how they do against oregon.
The only problem I see this year, is if the team is anything like last year, we are going to struggle at the beginning. MSU got better as the year progressed, and in college football, that just doesn't seem to happen very much. I read the thread over on 247 main board asking Could MSU beat FSU last year. The main argument that we couldn't beat them, is that we lost to ND. College football doesn't allow for any perspective whatsoever. You either win or lose. It doesn't matter if the refs pick up the ball after every play and allow the other team to have a first down, even if its their 8th down, if a team loses, its because they couldn't win that day. There is no real way to find out who has the best team in college football. B1G fans complain that all the bowl games are in the south, or that no southern team ever has to come north after Sept. 

Even if MSU loses to Oregon in week 2 of the season, by the end of the year they could be a better team than them, but that loss will weigh over us. A loss in week 2 also won't mean shit in the terms of winning a B1G title.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-11, 12:20

InTenSity wrote:
The only problem I see this year, is if the team is anything like last year, we are going to struggle at the beginning. MSU got better as the year progressed, and in college football, that just doesn't seem to happen very much. I read the thread over on 247 main board asking Could MSU beat FSU last year. The main argument that we couldn't beat them, is that we lost to ND. College football doesn't allow for any perspective whatsoever. You either win or lose. It doesn't matter if the refs pick up the ball after every play and allow the other team to have a first down, even if its their 8th down, if a team loses, its because they couldn't win that day. There is no real way to find out who has the best team in college football. B1G fans complain that all the bowl games are in the south, or that no southern team ever has to come north after Sept. 

Even if MSU loses to Oregon in week 2 of the season, by the end of the year they could be a better team than them, but that loss will weigh over us. A loss in week 2 also won't mean shit in the terms of winning a B1G title.

True, but it could mean something in being in the playoff, right? I admit I don't know how it works, but I thought it was a pretty subjective process and winning the B1G wasn't an automatic.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-07-11, 12:22

People read these bolts. Who knew!?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-11, 12:25

Rocinate wrote:True, but it could mean something in being in the playoff, right? I admit I don't know how it works, but I thought it was a pretty subjective process and winning the B1G wasn't an automatic.
It appears that most people who have looked at MSU schedule think this: 
1) Undefeated and win B1G - Playoffs
2) Lose closely to Oregon and go undefeated in B1G - Playoffs
3) Blowout loss, but win B1G - ????
4) 2 losses and no B1G championship - Out of playoffs, most likely.

How MSU looks in week 2 might have more bearing on making the playoffs (if everything else works out), than losing. No one knows what the committee is going to do, though.

I think if MSU wins the B1G and has 2 losses, they will be borderline, and it probably means they have a bad loss in there. I think we beat O$U, because until Meyer can show that he can beat us, Dantonio is the better coach and has the better team. Losing by 2 points when a for sure TD is called dead because of refs that are inept is not really losing a game.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-07-11, 12:27

Giant Moose wrote:Michigan State meets 3 of 4 criteria of Big Ten champs SrGxAOc

lol
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-07-11, 12:30

Rocinante wrote:Ease off the gas pedal until we see how they do against oregon.

You do realize that Michigan State, ... yes, Michigan State is a serious contender to be in the inaugural CFB playoffs right? Again, say it with me.... Michigan State is a serious contender to be in the inaugural CFB playoffs.

I don't give a shit what anyone says... just being in the conversation is mind bottling given where this program was in the first part of the century.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-07-11, 12:36

SeeRockCity wrote:

You do realize that Michigan State, ... yes, Michigan State is a serious contender to be in the inaugural CFB playoffs right?  Again, say it with me.... Michigan State is a serious contender to be in the inaugural CFB playoffs.

I don't give a shit what anyone says... just being in the conversation is mind bottling given where this program was in the first part of the century.

I'm just trying to temper the meltdown... I know it's a whisper in a hurricane.

For the record, I haven't been despondent about MSU football like I was back in the early 2000s since Dantonio took over... In fact, I've been pretty much giddy.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-07-11, 12:37

Rocinante wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:

You do realize that Michigan State, ... yes, Michigan State is a serious contender to be in the inaugural CFB playoffs right?  Again, say it with me.... Michigan State is a serious contender to be in the inaugural CFB playoffs.

I'm just trying to temper the meltdown... I know it's a whisper in a hurricane.

For the record, I haven't been despondent about MSU football like I was back in the early 2000s since Dantonio took over... In fact, I've been pretty much giddy.

I know, wasn't really picking on you. I just love saying shit like that. Kind of like rolling a really good bourbon around the tongue a little.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-07-11, 12:41

SeeRockCity wrote:

I was seriously worried just two years ago when we had that step back whether MSU was going to ever make a Rose Bowl again. I wondered if I should start preparing myself for the epic droughts that Indiana and Minnesota are currently in.

I thought if Cousins couldn't even do it, then how could we ever do it again? It was kind of a dark time because we finally had a good coach (Dantonio) and even he couldn't get that monkey off our back. It almost felt worse than when we had JLS and Bobby because we finally seemed to have the parts but due to unlucky circumstances, we weren't allowed to get to the Rose Bowl.

2013-14 did so much for our program to rid ourselves of that Rose Bowl stigma and seeing MSU mentioned in with the words "College Football Playoff" is amazing.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-07-11, 12:54

Giant Moose wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:

I was seriously worried just two years ago when we had that step back whether MSU was going to ever make a Rose Bowl again. I wondered if I should start preparing myself for the epic droughts that Indiana and Minnesota are currently in.

I thought if Cousins couldn't even do it, then how could we ever do it again? It was kind of a dark time because we finally had a good coach (Dantonio) and even he couldn't get that monkey off our back. It almost felt worse than when we had JLS and Bobby because we finally seemed to have the parts but due to unlucky circumstances, we weren't allowed to get to the Rose Bowl.

2013-14 did so much for our program to rid ourselves of that Rose Bowl stigma and seeing MSU mentioned in with the words "College Football Playoff" is amazing.

Agreed, but I do remembers slowly watching our 2-deeps get better and better and realizing that there was a trend :) Also, Bob said he wasn't worried, so I figured there was nothing to fear after all.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-11, 13:09

As long as we have Dantonio, we meet the 1 of 1 criteria that you need to kick anybodies ass on any given Saturday.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-07-11, 13:13

InTenSity wrote:
It appears that most people who have looked at MSU schedule think this: 
1) Undefeated and win B1G - Playoffs
2) Lose closely to Oregon and go undefeated in B1G - Playoffs
3) Blowout loss, but win B1G - ????
4) 2 losses and no B1G championship - Out of playoffs, most likely.

How MSU looks in week 2 might have more bearing on making the playoffs (if everything else works out), than losing. No one knows what the committee is going to do, though.

I think if MSU wins the B1G and has 2 losses, they will be borderline, and it probably means they have a bad loss in there. I think we beat O$U, because until Meyer can show that he can beat us, Dantonio is the better coach and has the better team. Losing by 2 points when a for sure TD is called dead because of refs that are inept is not really losing a game.

You will go bonkers trying to play out these scenarios. Too much ball to be played yet. Soooo much rests on how other teams around the country do to say if MSU does ___ and then ___ they are in/out.

A loss to Oregon is somewhat devastating unless MSU runs the table rest of the way which it likely won't do. If they do run the table, they need OSU, Nebraska, and whoever they play in the B1G title game to be highly ranked.

The PAC12 champ, FSU (assuming they win ACC), OU from the B12, SEC champ...it's going to be crowded. You also know the second best SEC team will make a case to be invited to playoffs too.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-11, 13:19

The sec isn't getting in 2 teams. A one loss MSU team who wins the b1g will make the playoff.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-07-11, 13:23

InTenSity wrote:The sec isn't getting in 2 teams. A one loss MSU team who wins the b1g will make the playoff.

If MSU has 1 loss and wins the B1G, we better pray other big name teams like Oklahoma don't have 1 loss only. I just don't see a 1 loss MSU getting in over blue blood teams with 1 loss or the PAC12 champ with 1 loss.

Like I said, too much football to be played yet to come up with these scenarios.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-07-11, 13:35

Dude wrote:If MSU has 1 loss and wins the B1G, we better pray other big name teams like Oklahoma don't have 1 loss only. I just don't see a 1 loss MSU getting in over blue blood teams with 1 loss or the PAC12 champ with 1 loss. 

Like I said, too much football to be played yet to come up with these scenarios.
I don't recall you being too hopeful about anything to do with MSU football, so I'll take that as a good sign.

MSU isn't going to be penalized for a less than 1 TD loss in Autzen. The Big12 will be the first conference to push to have the Playoffs expanded, because they will be penalized the most. They don't have a championship game and for the most part their OOC games are horrible.

There aren't going to be 4 undefeated teams at the end of the season, it just isn't going to happen. I don't think it has happened, ever. There might be 1 undefeated team. Saying that MSU has to go undefeated is silly.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizard Sleeve 2014-07-11, 13:37

What about recrooooooooooooting, I thought that was the only criteria? At least that's what Michigan fans tell me.
Wizard Sleeve
Wizard Sleeve
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-07-14, 08:00

Giant Moose wrote:

I made sure I went to the Rose Bowl.  I wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity this time. Never knew if we would ever make it back in my lifetime given the long draughts between Rose Bowls.  It had been over 20 years since we had gone prior 1987, so I am so glad I took the family and splurged on the trip.  The whole experience was fantastic from staying in Santa Monica, to driving over to Pasadena the day before the game and watching them make the finishing touches on the floats.  The parade and chants of Go Green Go White every five minutes!  Then the game itself in the most beautiful setting ever? We win too? Meeting up with Ghost, Miami, Forbin and partying in downtown LA in celebration! I am complete now. I can't imagine a better weekend of MSU football ever.  Whatever happens next is just icing on the cake.  Thank You MD!
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-07-14, 11:58

SeeRockCity wrote:

This, this, and this. Fucking a, it's amazing.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down