Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home repairs and stories

+7
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
MiamiSpartan
MSU addict
Motown Spartan
Nordic
InTenSity
11 posters

Go down

Home repairs and stories Empty Home repairs and stories

Post by InTenSity 2020-10-16, 19:52

I'm not sure if there is another thread similar to this, but thought I'd start one cuz I have a story.
First off, since moving into the house I'm currently in, we have put in impact windows ($20k), resurfaced and retiled the pool ($5k), took out the popcorn ceiling and did knockdown, plus repaint the whole house ($5kish), replaced the plumbing ($8k) and did all the bathrooms ($25k?).
In May we noticed a leak in the garage after a storm, part of the ceiling had fallen down, the plaster anyway. Called the insurance company, they took forever after bringing people out to put on a tarp and dry everything out. Long story short on this part, they said the roof had run through its life and it wasn't their responsibility, got a 2nd consult and the guy said to not get a 3rd party adjuster. During this time we signed a contract with a roofer.
I did my research, I got another quote and actually tried to get a few more quotes, but didn't get any call backs. This company set up an appointment and came out to the house 3 times before we signed the contract. Had some issues with the HOA not liking the color we picked out for the roof. We are putting in a metal roof.
They were supposed to start last week, but needed to delay because of rain the week before, granted it did rain about 4 or 5 days out of the week, so that's fine. I get a call on Saturday or Sunday that they will be at our house Monday morning. Around 9:30 on Monday I figure, whatever I'll wait until 10 and call the supervisor. Around the same time my wife calls me. She asks me if I think the people on the street in front of us with our exact address, except they live on a street and we live on a terrace, are also getting their roof done. I said no, put on my flip flops and walk to the next street. Sure enough the dump truck is backed up and guys are on the roof. I immediately call the supervisor, no answer, call again, and it goes to VM again. I call the lady who says she'll be my contact. No answer. I call the sales guy. He picks up. I tell him that I think his crew is at the wrong house. Explain the addresses, he quickly says he's gotta go. Meanwhile, one of the guys who speaks english comes down and hands me the phone. I tell his boss or whoever was on the phone that they were at the wrong place. 10 minutes later I get a call from the supervisor, he still didn't know what was going on.
About an hour later, that same crew is now on my roof and starting the tear off. The continue to work on my house for the rest of the day. I leave to take Kyle to get a haircut with me. On the way home, I call my wife and she says the cops are at the other house. When I get home the cops are at our house. I start drinking.
Supervisor calls me later that night, says they'll take care of everything, their guys fucked up.
Supervisor calls me in the morning, he talked to the homeowner, they actually have a contract with another roofing company and are having their roof replaced. Good situation for them.
Tonight I go into the garage to check, because its been raining all day and the area that had the leak didn't really look like it was covered. Sure enough I now have multiple leaks in the ceiling and water on the ground. They also backed the dump truck into a light above my garage and its knocked partially down. Its never worked since we've been here, but they don't know that.
I'm hoping by the time this is taken care of, everything is repaired and in better condition then when they arrived.

TL:DR - Roofing company started to take the wrong roof off. My roof that had leaks wasn't sealed properly before they left and it rained all day and now it is worse.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Home repairs and stories Empty Re: Home repairs and stories

Post by Nordic 2020-10-16, 20:01

Home repairs and stories 502811600 holy shit
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-10-16, 20:12

That roofing company dodged a nuclear bomb!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-10-16, 20:14

They can tear off a lot of roof in a couple of hours.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-10-16, 20:59

Wow. Wouldn't they want/expect the homeowner there when they get there, at least the first day?

If I was that other homeowner, I wouldn't tell them that I was getting the roof done anyway. I'd probably make them squirm and see what I could get out of them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-10-16, 21:06

MiamiSpartan wrote:Wow. Wouldn't they want/expect the homeowner there when they get there, at least the first day?

If I was that other homeowner, I wouldn't tell them that I was getting the roof done anyway. I'd probably make them squirm and see what I could get out of them.
For the roof, no, the owner doesn't need to be there. They were actually supposed to get started when we were on vacation. We had to move the cars out of the driveway. Where they fucked up, is that the materials were dropped off the day before. Also we had tarps on our roof.
You're going to need a new roof soon, if you haven't replaced yours already.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-10-16, 21:08

InTenSity wrote:I'm not sure if there is another thread similar to this, but thought I'd start one cuz I have a story.
First off, since moving into the house I'm currently in, we have put in impact windows ($20k), resurfaced and retiled the pool ($5k), took out the popcorn ceiling and did knockdown, plus repaint the whole house ($5kish), replaced the plumbing ($8k) and did all the bathrooms ($25k?).
In May we noticed a leak in the garage after a storm, part of the ceiling had fallen down, the plaster anyway. Called the insurance company, they took forever after bringing people out to put on a tarp and dry everything out. Long story short on this part, they said the roof had run through its life and it wasn't their responsibility, got a 2nd consult and the guy said to not get a 3rd party adjuster. During this time we signed a contract with a roofer.
I did my research, I got another quote and actually tried to get a few more quotes, but didn't get any call backs. This company set up an appointment and came out to the house 3 times before we signed the contract. Had some issues with the HOA not liking the color we picked out for the roof. We are putting in a metal roof.
They were supposed to start last week, but needed to delay because of rain the week before, granted it did rain about 4 or 5 days out of the week, so that's fine. I get a call on Saturday or Sunday that they will be at our house Monday morning. Around 9:30 on Monday I figure, whatever I'll wait until 10 and call the supervisor. Around the same time my wife calls me. She asks me if I think the people on the street in front of us with our exact address, except they live on a street and we live on a terrace, are also getting their roof done. I said no, put on my flip flops and walk to the next street. Sure enough the dump truck is backed up and guys are on the roof. I immediately call the supervisor, no answer, call again, and it goes to VM again. I call the lady who says she'll be my contact. No answer. I call the sales guy. He picks up. I tell him that I think his crew is at the wrong house. Explain the addresses, he quickly says he's gotta go. Meanwhile, one of the guys who speaks english comes down and hands me the phone. I tell his boss or whoever was on the phone that they were at the wrong place. 10 minutes later I get a call from the supervisor, he still didn't know what was going on.
About an hour later, that same crew is now on my roof and starting the tear off. The continue to work on my house for the rest of the day. I leave to take Kyle to get a haircut with me. On the way home, I call my wife and she says the cops are at the other house. When I get home the cops are at our house. I start drinking.
Supervisor calls me later that night, says they'll take care of everything, their guys fucked up.
Supervisor calls me in the morning, he talked to the homeowner, they actually have a contract with another roofing company and are having their roof replaced. Good situation for them.
Tonight I go into the garage to check, because its been raining all day and the area that had the leak didn't really look like it was covered. Sure enough I now have multiple leaks in the ceiling and water on the ground. They also backed the dump truck into a light above my garage and its knocked partially down. Its never worked since we've been here, but they don't know that.
I'm hoping by the time this is taken care of, everything is repaired and in better condition then when they arrived.

TL:DR - Roofing company started to take the wrong roof off. My roof that had leaks wasn't sealed properly before they left and it rained all day and now it is worse.

JFC. I’m sorry bro. Just think though, someday you’ll be gone and your kids will sell that house for way more than you bought it and put into it and live happy off that cash. Well done.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-10-16, 21:09

MSU addict wrote:They can tear off a lot of roof in a couple of hours.

This.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-16, 21:10

JFC. Please repost, hitting the enter key occasionally to break your rant into readable pieces.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-10-16, 21:10

DWags wrote:
MSU addict wrote:They can tear off a lot of roof in a couple of hours.

This.
They had half the roof off in about an hour. Home repairs and stories 1966794946
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-10-16, 21:14

Tldr...

I need an orange peel patch on my ceiling. Local dry wall guys say they don't have the equipment... Is that real?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-10-17, 10:10

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Tldr...

I need an orange peel patch on my ceiling. Local dry wall guys say they don't have the equipment... Is that real?
No, not really if it is "orange peel".   Acoustical/popcorn ceilings do take some equipment which few people have (no one does this anymore) but can be repaired with a spay can.  FWIW, some of the older ceilings contain asbestos.  

What they are telling you is that it is almost impossible to fix where you won't be able to notice.  They know if they try to patch it you won't be happy and you will bitch/give them a bad review.  Simply not worth it to them.

In my opinion, the best way to correct it is to do the whole ceiling - without texture - as texturing just makes it look dated.  

If you just want it repaired, try a local handyman (some should have some experience) but understand you will be able to notice.  I have flipped houses with the issue.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-10-17, 10:32

I have a question

I’m digging post holes for a garden fence (see also, garden thread). How deep do the holes have to be? The posts will be 6-6.5 feet high. Is two feet sufficient with concrete down there holding them or do I have to go to 3?

Two notes- 1) I’m only using a post hole digger here so if you tell me that each one has to be a foot deeper I’m going to be upset with you. 2) honestly, I know this probably isn’t a fashionable thing to say, but I probably will only live here for 5 years, tops. Probably less. If I’m going to run into problems in 20 years because of 2 feet instead of 3 then I honestly don’t really care.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-10-17, 10:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I have a question

I’m digging post holes for a garden fence (see also, garden thread). How deep do the holes have to be? The posts will be 6-6.5 feet high. Is two feet sufficient with concrete down there holding them or do I have to go to 3?

Two notes- 1) I’m only using a post hole digger here so if you tell me that each one has to be a foot deeper I’m going to be upset with you. 2) honestly, I know this probably isn’t a fashionable thing to say, but I probably will only live here for 5 years, tops. Probably less. If I’m going to run into problems in 20 years because of 2 feet instead of 3 then I honestly don’t really care.
I hate to say "it depends" but I probably should. 

Two feet should be deep enough for a 6-6.5 foot fence, but I would probably go deeper for end, corner and especially gate posts.

But it does depend on soil conditions, and if the fence is subject to wind forces.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-10-17, 12:06

InTenSity wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Wow. Wouldn't they want/expect the homeowner there when they get there, at least the first day?

For the roof, no, the owner doesn't need to be there. They were actually supposed to get started when we were on vacation. We had to move the cars out of the driveway. Where they fucked up, is that the materials were dropped off the day before. Also we had tarps on our roof.

When/if I do, I'll be sure to ask who you used, so as not to use them. Then again, if I could pick which wrong house they started tearing up, that might be worth considering for my dumbass neighbor.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-10-17, 13:45

MiamiSpartan wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

When/if I do, I'll be sure to ask who you used, so as not to use them.  Then again, if I could pick which wrong house they started tearing up, that might be worth considering for my dumbass neighbor.
They came by today. They are going to fix the garage. I actually really like the people for the most part. The supervisor is knowledgeable and friendly, to me. I think the crew working on my house might've been fired. The roof had issues and they have a different crew here today. Lots of rotten wood up there. Home repairs and stories 20201010
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-10-17, 14:34

Home repairs and stories 502811600
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-17, 17:28

HOW-TO VIDEOS
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-10-17, 18:45

The Pantry wrote:

HOW-TO VIDEOS

Yeah, I saw that, but that’s where I get concerned. It says “1/3 to 1/2 the post height.” But that’s 2-3 feet deep. Which is quite the difference. I’d like to just say that I’m at two so I’m good but I don’t want to put the fence up and the whole thing falls down either
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-10-17, 19:18

Go deeper. Frost heave will kill them in a few years.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-17, 19:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

HOW-TO VIDEOS

Yeah, I saw that, but that’s where I get concerned. It says “1/3 to 1/2 the post height.” But that’s 2-3 feet deep. Which is quite the difference. I’d like to just say that I’m at two so I’m good but I don’t want to put the fence up and the whole thing falls down either
Check with your municipality for recommended depth.  They may have a building code for it, like most do for deck posts (generally 42" in Michigan). And don't forget to dig 6" deeper to account for the gravel base.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-10-17, 20:01

The Pantry wrote:

Check with your municipality for recommended depth.  They may have a building code for it, like most do for deck posts (generally 42" in Michigan). And don't forget to dig 6" deeper to account for the gravel base.

First thing you’ve said that I’ve agreed with since pre-2016.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-17, 21:45

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

First thing you’ve said that I’ve agreed with since pre-2016.
Why are you so disagreeable?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-10-18, 08:11

MSU addict wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Tldr...

No, not really if it is "orange peel".   Acoustical/popcorn ceilings do take some equipment which few people have (no one does this anymore) but can be repaired with a spay can.  FWIW, some of the older ceilings contain asbestos.  

What they are telling you is that it is almost impossible to fix where you won't be able to notice.  They know if they try to patch it you won't be happy and you will bitch/give them a bad review.  Simply not worth it to them.

In my opinion, the best way to correct it is to do the whole ceiling - without texture - as texturing just makes it look dated.  

If you just want it repaired, try a local handyman (some should have some experience) but understand you will be able to notice.  I have flipped houses with the issue.

I was going to do the whole ceiling which is big and the main part of the house dining room/kitchen/hall. Wife doesn't want main room to be different than the rest of the house. Quote was close to $3000 prior to the contractor saying he couldn't find anyone.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-10-18, 08:30

The Pantry wrote:

Well if they’re just going to say 42 inches or something else ridiculous then I’m not going to check with them
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-18, 10:02

The Pantry wrote:
Check with your municipality for recommended depth.  They may have a building code for it, like most do for deck posts (generally 42" in Michigan).  And don't forget to dig 6" deeper to account for the gravel base.

Well if they’re just going to say 42 inches or something else ridiculous then I’m not going to check with them
So, you're gonna half-ass it?  Why am I not surprised?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-04, 15:43

Anyone have a home warranty? Your experiences with it?

Some stuff here is getting long-in-the-tooth and think a warranty would be a good idea.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2024-02-06, 22:01

The Pantry wrote:Anyone have a home warranty? Your experiences with it?

Some stuff here is getting long-in-the-tooth and think a warranty would be a good idea.
My experience is underwhelmed. I have been involved with a few instances where people bought them. You have to go through the warranty company to get someone to fix whatever is broken, and let's just say their objective is not to get the highest quality fix for you.
My son had a bad air conditioner and they kept sending people out who just dumped in more freon and left. Next day, it's wasn't working again.
I was involved peripherally with the company and had to pull a few strings to get anyone's attention before they finally authorized me to get it fixed and then they reimbursed.

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down