Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you eat food past the sell by date?

+11
Dendrobates
CORNER BLITZ
y2kMgrad
steveschneider
Nordic
kingstonlake
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
MSU addict
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
15 posters

Go down

Do you eat food past the sell by date?   Empty Do you eat food past the sell by date?

Post by DWags 2020-10-26, 19:57

There is the "Sell by date" and then there is the "Best by" date. My wife has some hamburger she bought Saturday. It says sell by October 26. I had a hot dog at Sonics tonight and didn't feel like tacos at home. So, she says "We can have tacos tomorrow." I say well, it says we were supposed to eat it by today, the 26th. She disagrees. I mean I'll make the damn tacos tomorrow, but I'm not comfortable. Would you drink milk past the "sell by"? You can't smell it, you just have to drink it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Do you eat food past the sell by date?   Empty Re: Do you eat food past the sell by date?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-10-26, 19:58

Eat the goddamn tacos dwags you’ll be fine
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, DWags, CORNER BLITZ and MSU addict like this post

Back to top Go down

Do you eat food past the sell by date?   Empty Re: Do you eat food past the sell by date?

Post by MSU addict 2020-10-26, 20:07

I hate milk.  Eat the taco meat.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-26, 20:10

It will probably be fine. Check the smell all the way through to the middle, though. And if you’re really concerned, cook it tonight and toss it in the fridge. Problem solved.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-26, 20:11

Oh, and spoiled milk will def have a smell.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-26, 20:13

I don’t eat food. I eat these molecular nutrient cubes made in a lab in Tokyo by the Yukamora Corporation. One cube contains all the needed nutrients a person needs for the day. They are tasteless and filling (because they expand after consumption). Love them. So much easier when everything is nothing.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-10-26, 20:17

I think you're missing what's she's laying down Wags. Tacos....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Dendrobates and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-26, 20:22

Turtleneck wrote:I don’t eat food. I eat these molecular nutrient cubes made in a lab in Tokyo by the Yukamora Corporation. One cube contains all the needed nutrients a person needs for the day. They are tasteless and filling (because they expand after consumption). Love them. So much easier when everything is nothing.

But you eat it for sustenance, so it’s food. Take it in through osmosis or shove it up your ass, then maybe we can agree.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-26, 20:24

kingstonlake wrote:I think you're missing what's she's laying down Wags. Tacos....

Everybody knows tacos should be served on Tuesdays. It’s even got a name: Taco Tuesdays.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-10-26, 20:26

Pretty sure eating expired meat is what caused the rona
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-26, 20:47

Nordic wrote:Pretty sure eating expired meat is what caused the rona

No. It was made in Kazakhstan and spread by a journalist named Borat. I saw it in a recent documentary about Americans.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-26, 20:52

In life the goal is to eat fresh beef but some times you gotta eat some old beef.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-26, 21:02

Shut up, Steve.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-26, 21:12

steveschneider wrote: In life the goal is to eat fresh beef but some times you gotta eat some old beef.

Following your advice for dinner tomorrow night, Steve. Gonna take the wife to a nearby farm and take a few bites out of the beef cattle. Mmmmmm, good.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2020-10-26, 21:26

I've definitely drank milk a day or two past the expiration date if it smelled fine. I pretty much always smell the milk before I pour it no matter what the date says.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-10-26, 21:29

DWags wrote:There is the "Sell by date" and then there is the "Best by" date. My wife has some hamburger she bought Saturday. It says sell by October 26. I had a hot dog at Sonics tonight and didn't feel like tacos at home. So, she says "We can have tacos tomorrow." I say well, it says we were supposed to eat it by today, the 26th. She disagrees. I mean I'll make the damn tacos tomorrow, but I'm not comfortable. Would you drink milk past the "sell by"? You can't smell it, you just have to drink it.

And I thought they said kids these days are soft, smh

That fast-food hot dog is more likely to kill you than 1 day beyond sell by meat that's been in your fridge
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-10-26, 21:37

The taco meat is fine.

And milk is fine if it smell fine (our rules)
But skim milk will last longer past it's due date than 2% or whole milk. Most likely with whole milk you arent going past the date
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-10-26, 21:41

So, Nobody has really answered. What the fuck does "sell by" really mean? Is it telling the employees in the store to sell it by that date? Is it saying "shit we should have sold this already, I'd be careful" Is it saying, " sell by this date cause we just want to rotate shit through here, it's fine for two or three more days". What the fuck does sell by really mean?

And finally is it different than "Best by"? I dont' think we're being respected here. I think there should be a guide in the store explaining this stuff.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-10-26, 21:45

Yes.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-10-26, 21:46

steveschneider wrote: In life the goal is to eat fresh beef but some times you gotta eat some old beef.

We don’t want to hear about your marriage.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-10-26, 21:53

DWags wrote:So, Nobody has really answered. What the fuck does "sell by" really mean? Is it telling the employees in the store to sell it by that date? Is it saying "shit we should have sold this already, I'd be careful" Is it saying, " sell by this date cause we just want to rotate shit through here, it's fine for two or three more days". What the fuck does sell by really mean?

And finally is it different than "Best by"? I dont' think we're being respected here. I think there should be a guide in the store explaining this stuff.

The store and meatpacker and distributor and everyone else that handles it up until you buy it have an incentive to convince you to throw out the perfectly fine meat and go buy some more. If given the option between telling you it will go bad today vs telling you it’ll go bad Friday when really it’ll go bad next week they’ll just tell you today. Whether you eat it in a rush or throw it out, you need more now so it works for them. Added bonus for them- they definitely won’t give you any botulism if they tell you to throw it out way sooner than necessary. It’s a win win.

In other words, eat the goddamn tacos.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-10-26, 21:57

Sell by and best by dates are only guidelines (and generally on the conservative side, for obvious reasons). I've thrown away stuff before its best by date, and I've eaten stuff past it's best by date. Use your eyes and nose. A day past sell by is most likely fine, if I had to wager.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-10-26, 22:24

DWags wrote:So, Nobody has really answered.  What the fuck does "sell by" really mean?  Is  it telling the employees in the store to sell it by that date?  Is it saying "shit we should have sold this already, I'd be careful"  Is it saying, " sell by this date cause we just want to rotate shit through here, it's fine for two or three more days".  What the fuck does sell by really mean?  

And finally is it different than "Best by"?   I dont' think we're being respected here.  I think there should be a guide in the store explaining this stuff.  
From the USDA:

How long is meat or poultry safe to use after the sell-by date?

While product dating is not generally required by federal regulations, many stores and processors may voluntarily date packages of fresh or uncooked meat and poultry products. Use or freeze beef, veal, pork, and lamb products with a "Sell-By" date within 3 to 5 days of purchase. Fresh chicken, turkey, ground meat, and ground poultry should be cooked or frozen within 1 to 2 days of purchase.

[url=https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/How-long-is-meat-or-poultry-safe-to-use-after-the-sell-by-date#:~:text=Use or freeze beef%2C veal,to 2 days of purchase.]Eat me[/url]
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-10-27, 14:23

Never go to Federal prison DWags. I saw a commissary in Milan Federal in MI where no canned good or boxed food wasn't at least 6 months past sell by date sometimes up to 2 years.

Sell by typically means you have at least 2or 3 days to either freeze it when you get home or cook it withing 48-72 hours.

If you are that much of a nudge on food safety by a good thermometer from Thermoworks or another reputable company and make sure your burger, steaks, chicken is cooked well enough.

PS
Try pulled pork, shredded turkey or chicken white meat instead of ground beef for tacos. You'll never go back to burger.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-10-27, 14:55

GRR Spartan wrote:Never go to Federal prison DWags.  I saw a commissary in Milan Federal in MI where no canned good or boxed food wasn't at least 6 months past sell by date sometimes up to 2 years.

Sell by typically means you have at least 2or 3 days to either freeze it when you get home or cook it withing 48-72 hours.  

If you are that much of a nudge on food safety by a good thermometer from Thermoworks or another reputable company and make sure your burger, steaks, chicken is cooked well enough.

PS
Try pulled pork, shredded turkey or chicken white meat instead of ground beef for tacos.  You'll never go back to burger.
I prefer thighs to breasts when making chicken tacos, personally.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-27, 15:44

GRR Spartan wrote:Never go to Federal prison DWags. I saw a commissary in Milan Federal in MI where no canned good or boxed food wasn't at least 6 months past sell by date sometimes up to 2 years.

PS
Try pulled pork, shredded turkey or chicken white meat instead of ground beef for tacos. You'll never go back to burger.

Swillers will never let that happen. DWags knows too much about us. We’d probably have him taken care of before he’s ever offered a deal. Unless it’s federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison and he wants to go. Do you eat food past the sell by date?   3557613862
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-10-27, 15:59

RIP Wags

hope you left someone your hat
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-27, 17:52

Fresh meat cuts...use within 3-4 days after purchase, or freeze.
Fresh ground meat...use within 2 days after purchase, or freeze.
Fresh seafood...use within 1 day after purchase, or freeze.

Eggs are completely fine 3-4 weeks past the sell by date on the carton.

Dates on pasteurized milk products blow my mind...some are two months after you buy them.  Like others have mentioned, use your nose.   Pasteurized dairy putrefies when it goes bad.

The beautiful thing about raw dairy is it sours within a week or two after purchase, but is still safely consumable in that form.

What's the Difference Between Sell By, Best By and Use By?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-27, 19:09

The Pantry wrote:Fresh meat cuts...use within 3-4 days after purchase, or freeze.

Dates on pasteurized milk products blow my mind...some are two months after you buy them.  Like others have mentioned, use your nose.   Pasteurized dairy putrefies when it goes bad.

The beautiful thing about raw dairy is it sours within a week or two after purchase, but is still safely consumable in that form.

I use the water in a bowl test to check if an egg is still safe to eat.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-27, 19:18

Forgot. Fresh poultry, whole or parted, should be used or frozen after 2 days.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-27, 19:32

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Fresh meat cuts...use within 3-4 days after purchase, or freeze.

I use the water in a bowl test to check if an egg is still safe to eat.
Nerd.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rocinante and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-10-27, 19:53

CORNER BLITZ wrote:RIP Wags

hope you left someone your hats

Fixed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down