Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excellent news! I've disowned my parents!

+17
duffy munn
MSU addict
WhiteBoyHatcher
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
Cameron
Motown Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Dendrobates
InTenSity
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Excellent news! I've disowned my parents! Empty Excellent news! I've disowned my parents!

Post by InTenSity 2021-01-08, 23:56

Fuck trump. I'm no longer talking to my family. Awesome.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, tGreenWay, Dendrobates, Motown Spartan and Watch Out Pylon! like this post

Back to top Go down

Excellent news! I've disowned my parents! Empty Re: Excellent news! I've disowned my parents!

Post by Dendrobates 2021-01-09, 00:06

Man, I'm sorry buddy. There's been some serious turmoil going on in my family as well. Godspeed man.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Excellent news! I've disowned my parents! Empty Re: Excellent news! I've disowned my parents!

Post by kingstonlake 2021-01-09, 00:13

Very sorry Inten. Me and my brother speak less as well.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2021-01-09, 00:42

Excellent news! I've disowned my parents! Screen16
Excellent news! I've disowned my parents! Screen15
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-01-09, 00:44

Guess it's what lib-whacks do. Daughters disowned me a couple years ago. At least my sons aren't batshit crazy.

As hard as it may be, try to re-think your position ASAP Intensity. There may come a day when you regret flying off the handle over politics.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2021-01-09, 00:48

The Pantry wrote:Guess it's what lib-whacks do. Daughters disowned me a couple years ago. At least my sons aren't batshit crazy.

As hard as it may be, try to re-think your position ASAP Intensity. There may come a day when you regret flying off the handle over politics.
You're batshit crazy.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-01-09, 00:49

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Guess it's what lib-whacks do. Daughters disowned me a couple years ago. At least my sons aren't batshit crazy.

You're batshit crazy.
You're disturbed.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-01-09, 01:05

btw...would you like me to call your parents to help smooth things out?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-01-09, 07:49

I'm happy to say that I have absolutely no idea who anyone on my side of the family (mom, brother, aunt uncle, cousins) voted for. On my wife's side, there's a mixed bag, but the opposing sides dont really talk about it, so I dont know if they supported the terrorists and/or are so far gone from reality that they think antifa was behind it.

Sometimes it's better to not know.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-01-09, 08:12

Sorry it's turning out this way, InTen. The polarization has effed up far to many families and neighbors. Duh.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-01-09, 08:53

I’m assuming your TV wasn’t turned on January 6th?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-01-09, 08:54

Your last sentence would have been good advice for the 4 people who died.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-01-09, 09:30

Sorry Intensity. These are rough times we are living through. I hope at some point you can all forgive and heal in a meaningful way.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-01-09, 09:33

Seems like a situation y’all will regret down the road. Look at pantry, this happened to him and he’s the bitter old guy on a message board. Don’t become pantry, intensity. Talk to them.
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and Rocinante like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-01-09, 09:34

Pantry is either pulling the best troll job in Swill history or is obscenely obtuse. I hope for the former but I know it’s the latter.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-01-09, 10:53

NigelUno wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Guess it's what lib-whacks do.  Daughters disowned me a couple years ago.  At least my sons aren't batshit crazy.

As hard as it may be, try to re-think your position ASAP Intensity.  There may come a day when you regret flying off the handle over politics.

Your last sentence would have been good advice for the 4 people who died.

Nigel for the win.

And while agree i think the last 11 months have shown a light on how they value life.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-01-09, 11:14

I have a fair few Trump supporting friends and family. Haven't made a break with any of them yet, but it's been close a few times. My hope is that as Trump recedes, they will return to their previous level of civic engagement (near zero) and I can forget how fucking dumb they are. I expect this to take several decades.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-01-09, 11:21

Motown Spartan wrote:Pantry is either pulling the best troll job in Swill history or is obscenely obtuse. I hope for the former but I know it’s the latter.

I don’t think they’re the same person. Razz
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-01-09, 12:24

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Seems like a situation y’all will regret down the road. Look at pantry, this happened to him and he’s the bitter old guy on a message board. Don’t become pantry, intensity. Talk to them.

I mostly agree with this. You can’t pick your parents. I don’t have social media anymore so it’s easier with my mom. Your choice. Stay healthy
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-01-09, 12:48

InTenSity - I'm sorry to hear that, man.

My parents have passed away and I don't have any extended family that I've ever been close to, but if people in our lives - family or friends - choose hate, racism, and terrorism over friends and family, it's usually best to leave it that way.

It's unfortunate but it's their decision. You have an obligation to maintain the mental, emotional and physical well-being of you, your wife and children.

Hang in there dude.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-01-09, 13:05

Sorry to here that but having zealots who support people or religions that go against their overall well being can’t be reasoned with.  

Don’t know how financially secure your family is. But for the life of me I can’t understand why so many ham & egger s would support Trump after he said he would defund Social Security / Medicare  along with deregulating health care again.

Things got chilly with a brother-in-law along with a niece and her husband after I disagreed with the herd immunity.  

My youngest is on Facebook and said the niece’s husband was posting on Breitbart and was unhappy with Facebook’s policies.  Was talking about Parler last post he saw.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2021-01-10, 17:48; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2021-01-09, 13:16

Some people think they're too smart to listen but here's the thing. It's not about politics. It's never been about politics. It's always been about people's willingness to brush basic decency aside in the name of politics.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-01-09, 13:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Some people think they're too smart to listen but here's the thing. It's not about politics. It's never been about politics. It's always been about people's willingness to brush basic decency aside in the name of politics.
Well said.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-01-09, 14:10

There is a scene in the movie Sleepers where the rule of the bar is "no politics, no religion."  Following that basic rule keeps 99% of conversations civil.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-01-09, 14:39

MSU addict wrote:There is a scene in the movie Sleepers where the rule of the bar is "no politics, no religion."  Following that basic rule keeps 99% of conversations civil.
Was on a Detroit sports forum for years that had the same philosophy. Forum owner had zero tolerance for either of the subjects...not even a sub forum for the topics. Was a pretty cool place. He's since moved the forum to facebook under the same respected guidelines. Posters from around the globe.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-01-09, 14:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Some people think they're too smart to listen but here's the thing. It's not about politics. It's never been about politics. It's always been about people's willingness to brush basic decency aside in the name of politics.

So what I’m hearing is there’s good people on both sides.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-01-09, 14:59

MSU addict wrote:There is a scene in the movie Sleepers where the rule of the bar is "no politics, no religion."  Following that basic rule keeps 99% of conversations civil.

This really is so true. It keeps things civil.
But what happens when something is said that you think is so morally wrong...it changes everything.

This has turned into a deeper kind of political issue. You can be upset and irritated a family member doesn't agree on policy. Hey, none of us will agree with everything. It can get heated at the moment, but you let's stuff go. That is like discussions my husband and I have with my uncle (which be always tries so hard to egg on, we sometimes can't ignore it). Then that person is grateful, feels justified and excited by what happened on Wednesday and wants more of that.

It's just a whole other level of morality.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-01-09, 15:11

aualum06 wrote:

Maybe the parents should think about if believing in hate and racism is worth losing a kid over
There you go with more stereotyping. Very common here. I am neither racist or a hater.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-01-09, 15:41

The Pantry wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Maybe the parents should think about if believing in hate and racism is worth losing a kid over
There you go with more stereotyping. Very common here. I am neither racist or a hater.

Maybe not, but racism and hate are not deal breakers for you ergo you’re labeled a racist and hater.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-01-09, 15:41

Excellent news! I've disowned my parents! E9e41410
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-01-09, 16:30

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
There you go with more stereotyping.  Very common here.  I am neither racist or a hater.  

Maybe not, but racism and hate are not deal breakers for you ergo you’re labeled a racist and hater.
Yes, I've been branded by you hot heads despite being just right of center.  The far right is as equally disturbing to me as the far left.

Now, let's all settle down and have some great raw lamb kibbee with sides of tabbouli and whipped garlic.

Excellent news! I've disowned my parents! Kibbee10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-01-09, 16:31

Is that for your cat
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-01-09, 16:34

A cat should eat so well but wouldn't because I ordered extra spicy.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-01-09, 18:51

This is happening to millions of families. I can never in my lifetime recall such a divide. But iMO, as stated earlier, it's really not about politics or left vs right. It's more about one polarizing man.

My Dad was a Trump guy and watched Fox News. He was never a dick about it or even talked about it much. I never challenged him or argued with him. No way was I gonna risk precious time.

My oldest son and his wife are Trumpers. They tried to push it with me a recently. My response. " I disagree. Discussion over. I will not let that man be a problem for MY family." We have not discussed him since.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, DWags, steveschneider and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-01-09, 20:07

duffy munn wrote:This is happening to millions of families. I can never in my lifetime recall such a divide. But iMO, as stated earlier, it's really not about politics or left vs right. It's more about one polarizing man.

My Dad was a Trump guy and watched Fox News. He was never a dick about it or even talked about it much. I never challenged him or argued with him. No way was I gonna risk precious time.

My oldest son and his wife are Trumpers. They tried to push it with me a recently. My response. " I disagree. Discussion over. I will not let that man be a problem for MY family." We have not discussed him since.

yep. And, if you have to handle such an unfortunate situation, this is probably the best way to do it.

Otherwise, there is no way decent people can ever find common ground with the hate-filled racists who insist on inserting their religious-based rage into our otherwise positive existence.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-01-09, 20:26

The Pantry wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

Yes, I've been branded by you hot heads despite being just right of center.  The far right is as equally disturbing to me as the far left.

Now, let's all settle down and have some great raw lamb kibbee with sides of tabbouli and whipped garlic.

Excellent news! I've disowned my parents! Kibbee10

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I've seen much outrage from you over the far right (and there have been plenty of opportunities recently).

But those darn bat shit crazy lib whacks!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-01-09, 20:34

duffy munn wrote:This is happening to millions of families. I can never in my lifetime recall such a divide. But iMO, as stated earlier, it's really not about politics or left vs right. It's more about one polarizing man.

This is what got us here in the first place. Inability to have open conversations around sensitive subjects. No one talks about it, they listen to their echo chamber, and here we are. Yay.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-01-09, 20:54

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

This is what got us here in the first place. Inability to have open conversations around sensitive subjects. No one talks about it, they listen to their echo chamber, and here we are. Yay.

Oh plenty of people talk about it and it's breaking up families. And as I said, this never happened before in my lifetime. Not like this.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-01-09, 21:17

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Yup. You’re both right. It frustrates me when my cousin in our text group always tries to change the subject when his conspiracy theorist son goes political. Well maybe if we could talk about we could expose the crazy. His kid is constantly referring to Dewine as his “tyrant” governor for Ohio masks mandates. Then says a few days later he hopes the gop senate overturns the election. Then says in his next breath he needs to delete Facebook friends because of their double standards.

You can’t make that kind of blatant hypocrisy up.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2021-01-09, 21:32

Damn. Sorry man, that sucks. This kind of stuff makes me so glad I never joined FB. I don't really want to know which family members of mine are this delusional. Was that your dad you were texting with? My dad was a lifelong Republican who passed away a few months ago. I don't think he was ever big on Trump anyways, but he never tried to push his politics on me and I appreciated that.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next