Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread)

+4
Cameron
Heat Miser
Floyd Robertson
steveschneider
8 posters

Go down

The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread) Empty The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread)

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-11, 09:55

So going down this road of changing careers and reading tech industry concerns about their jobs being replaced with intelligent machines has me thinking. It is not only going to be truck drivers but it's going to be just about everything. If we instill somekind of universal basic income I don't know the automated future sounds like a good thing to me. Let machines do all the work. The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread) 2599972566

Last edited by steveschneider on 2021-03-11, 19:12; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread) Empty Re: The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread)

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-03-11, 10:05

I'm all for more biking and hiking time. At 60, I only have another decade at most that I plan on being a productive contributor. I do wonder in 20/50/100 years when machines do everything how people are going to derive the portion of self-worth that was once achieved by working.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread) Empty Re: The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread)

Post by Heat Miser 2021-03-11, 10:14

Floyd Robertson wrote:I'm all for more biking and hiking time. At 60, I only have another decade at most that I plan on being a productive contributor. I do wonder in 20/50/100 years when machines do everything how people are going to derive the portion of self-worth that was once achieved by working.

Kinda like Star Trek. You pursue what you want to rather than what you have to in order make a reasonable living. You'll be free to pursue that useless liberal arts degree & become a poet.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Floyd Robertson and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-11, 10:18

Heat Miser wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I'm all for more biking and hiking time. At 60, I only have another decade at most that I plan on being a productive contributor. I do wonder in 20/50/100 years when machines do everything how people are going to derive the portion of self-worth that was once achieved by working.

Kinda like Star Trek. You pursue what you want to rather than what you have to in order make a reasonable living. You'll be free to pursue that useless liberal arts degree & become a poet.

Pretty much the light bulb that went over my head when I was reading about these tech concerns was that I realized I'm not a lazy person. I run, I hike, I workout, I read, I study music, I enjoy wood working...If I could ride out my days doing that while machines perform my daily rat race tasks fine with me.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-11, 10:30

I think we are all just going to have access to the life of leisure that wealthy people have. That is if there's UBI if not then buckle up.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-03-11, 10:33

Heat Miser wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I'm all for more biking and hiking time. At 60, I only have another decade at most that I plan on being a productive contributor.  I do wonder in 20/50/100 years when machines do everything how people are going to derive the portion of self-worth that was once achieved by working.

This will be my aspiration.

The Automated Future and The Future (tofficial discuss the Future Thread) 0dcec710
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-03-11, 10:41

steveschneider wrote:

I think we are all just going to have access to the life of leisure that wealthy people have. That is if there's UBI if not then buckle up.

In theory, there's no need for UBI (or any income at all for anyone) because everything is free. Of course there is a mountain of potential issues. What if the population explodes because of all the extra free fucking time? What if most people decide to do nothing but smoke weed & drink constantly?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-11, 10:54

Heat Miser wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

In theory, there's no need for UBI (or any income at all for anyone) because everything is free. Of course there is a mountain of potential issues. What if the population explodes because of all the extra free fucking time? What if most people decide to do nothing but smoke weed & drink constantly?

Yeah, maybe there's people that just aren't equipped for it. I've always enjoyed reading and having projects around the house. I feel like I could find purpose and never really tied my self worth to a job. I've always just considered it a hustle to get some money.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-03-11, 11:12

Shall I just go ahead and induct you all into the Yang Gang, then?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, gomersbro and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-11, 11:15

Cameron wrote:Shall I just go ahead and induct you all into the Yang Gang, then?

He definitely did his part raising awareness. He went on Fox News and even their die hards were like 'Hey this guy is making some sense'.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-03-11, 16:23

Currently there are too many employers expecting their human employees to work like robots
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-11, 19:18

This one blew my mind. '....We need global cooperation on a scale the world has never seen...'.

Pretty life as we know it is going to have to go through a massive paradigm shift or else....

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-03-11, 23:03

The future is now bruh
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-03-12, 01:56

You study music, Steve?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-12, 06:44

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:You study music, Steve?

Who doesn’t like throwing on a good record after a few beers?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-03-12, 09:08

steveschneider wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:You study music, Steve?

Me....'cause 2021... I may queue up something on Spotify though.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-15, 13:06

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Me....'cause 2021... I may queue up something on Spotify though.

Vinyl sales are up. What looked like a format left for dead at one point is actually quite popular in 2021. Going off that Bill Gates 60 Minutes segment though sounds like at some point vinyl will have to become a thing of the past for the environment.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-03-15, 17:15

Let’s talk about record albums in the “THE FUTURE” thread.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-15, 17:23

Rocinante wrote:Let’s talk about record albums in the “THE FUTURE” thread.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9504879/us-vinyl-album-sales-new-record-high-christmas-2020/

Fuckin' Steve is right again!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-03-25, 10:01

Having gone through a chunk of this Google class if it actually lands me a new career I think our American University system (a good chunk of it) is fucked.

They are providing certification for in demand, good paying jobs with career path that has plenty of room for growth. Cost will probably run me under $200.

Already, noting schools like UofM, Purdue partnering up with Google and IBM to provide these type of classes. Passing the 9 month IBM Data Analytics course gets you access to the Purdue Alumni clubs (No thanks). Lets face it college is a rip off and most people are just going to by pass it if this shit works.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down