Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic

+9
Jake from State Farm
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
DWags
Motown Spartan
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
The Pantry
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic Empty 17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-14, 16:25

A 17-foot great white shark that lingered for months off North Carolina’s Outer Banks has mysteriously turned up 2,000 miles away — on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Satellite tracking shows the 50-year-old shark, named Nukumi, crossed the Mid-Atlantic Ridge last week and is now in the Northeast Atlantic, a trek experts say migratory species rarely make.

Why the 3,541-pound shark is making the journey isn’t understood, but scientists with OCEARCH think it may be due to pregnancy.

The waters off the Outer Banks are believed to be a mating ground for white sharks, and gestating females might head for deeper water to avoid aggressive males, OCEARCH speculates. White shark mating is brutal, with males biting the female to hold her in place.

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic Shark_10
Nukumi’s Track. Nukumi has since traveled over 5,570 miles and crossed the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic Empty Re: 17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic

Post by tGreenWay 2021-04-14, 17:42

Maybe she swam to the Flemish Cap to look for Clooney and Marky Mark. 17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic 2599972566
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic Empty Re: 17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-04-14, 17:47

A shark. Swimming in the ocean. I hope Inspector Clouseau can get to the bottom of this one.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-04-14, 17:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:A shark. Swimming in the ocean. I hope Inspector Clouseau can get to the bottom of this one.

Inspector Jacques Clouseau.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-14, 17:55

Not sure why the story said it mysteriously turned up since they'd been tracking it the last 5,500 miles.

Great whites bring new meaning to rough sex.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-04-14, 18:05

Love the outer banks. Ocracoke. Used to spend August there with the girlfriend in college. Grampa was a shrimper. Also clamming there. Good times.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-04-14, 18:09

DWags wrote:Love the outer banks. Ocracoke. Used to spend August there with the girlfriend in college. Grampa was a shrimper. Also clamming there. Good times.

How was the bearded clam?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-04-14, 18:14

Weird.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-14, 18:17

Motown Spartan wrote:
DWags wrote:Love the outer banks. Ocracoke. Used to spend August there with the girlfriend in college. Grampa was a shrimper. Also clamming there. Good times.

Any crabs?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-04-14, 18:18

Motown Spartan wrote:

tasted like chicken. Honestly, so the GF's gramps takes me out clamming. I mean if you drew a picture of the swashbuckling sea going shrimper/fisherman who makes aliving out of the sea, it was him. Bulbous red nose, white hair waving in the wind, yellow rain coat open slight beer belly protruding. Skin I dont know, not tan, but not white, and holding a bottle of vodka while driving the boat one handed. So, I don't think he liked me or trusted me. But, he made me tie a tub around my waist and jump overboard on a big sand bar, which he knew was there and got there somehow without GPS, or anything Then gave me a rake with a net on it and made me rake it. When I hit something hard, I turned the rake upside down and damn, clams were in it.

So, on the way back he threw me a knife, I dont know if it was too me or at me to this day. I didn't catch it, but it hit my seat. I picked it up and then he threw me fresh clams. boat was fucking going by itself, and I was to scared to tell this drunk guy maybe he should grab the fucking wheel. Anyway, he started poppling open clams with his knife, and eating them raw. Takes a shot, pops one or two open and eats them raw. Shit, I had to do it too. Cut my hands, he gave me a chug every once in a while. Got into shore, docked the boat, I threw up, he chuckled. It wasn't cause I was drunk, I wasn't. It was fucking raw clams and three or four chugs of vodka and a boat that was not smooth.

I miss that guy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-14, 18:22

kingstonlake wrote:Weird.
Yep. Not much weirder than having a tribute avatar to fucking Steve.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-04-14, 18:34

The Pantry wrote:
A 17-foot great white shark that lingered for months off North Carolina’s Outer Banks has mysteriously turned up 2,000 miles away — on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Satellite tracking shows the 50-year-old shark, named Nukumi, crossed the Mid-Atlantic Ridge last week and is now in the Northeast Atlantic, a trek experts say migratory species rarely make.

Why the 3,541-pound shark is making the journey isn’t understood, but scientists with OCEARCH think it may be due to pregnancy.

The waters off the Outer Banks are believed to be a mating ground for white sharks, and gestating females might head for deeper water to avoid aggressive males, OCEARCH speculates. White shark mating is brutal, with males biting the female to hold her in place.

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic Shark_10
Nukumi’s Track. Nukumi has since traveled over 5,570 miles and crossed the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

So what you’re telling us is sharks can swim. Crazy.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-04-14, 18:55

Super neat and I’m not being sarcastic like these assholes. They should appreciate nature and earth’s creatures before we destroy it all. 

Think one of my next books will be about sharks.
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-04-14, 19:02

I’ve heard caribou migrate. Fucking nuts!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-04-14, 19:04

DWags wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

tasted like chicken. Honestly, so the GF's gramps takes me out clamming. I mean if you drew a picture of the swashbuckling sea going shrimper/fisherman who makes aliving out of the sea, it was him. Bulbous red nose, white hair waving in the wind, yellow rain coat open slight beer belly protruding. Skin I dont know, not tan, but not white, and holding a bottle of vodka while driving the boat one handed. So, I don't think he liked me or trusted me. But, he made me tie a tub around my waist and jump overboard on a big sand bar, which he knew was there and got there somehow without GPS, or anything Then gave me a rake with a net on it and made me rake it. When I hit something hard, I turned the rake upside down and damn, clams were in it.

So, on the way back he threw me a knife, I dont know if it was too me or at me to this day. I didn't catch it, but it hit my seat. I picked it up and then he threw me fresh clams. boat was fucking going by itself, and I was to scared to tell this drunk guy maybe he should grab the fucking wheel. Anyway, he started poppling open clams with his knife, and eating them raw. Takes a shot, pops one or two open and eats them raw. Shit, I had to do it too. Cut my hands, he gave me a chug every once in a while. Got into shore, docked the boat, I threw up, he chuckled. It wasn't cause I was drunk, I wasn't. It was fucking raw clams and three or four chugs of vodka and a boat that was not smooth.

I miss that guy.

We used to shuck oysters and do shots of vodka at America’s Cup downtown, and no knives were ever thrown at us.

Oh, and I’d like you to tell Mrs. DWags that you miss your ex-GF’s dad. Let’s see how she responds.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-04-14, 19:06

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Super neat and I’m not being sarcastic like these assholes. They should appreciate nature and earth’s creatures before we destroy it all. 

I can still be an asshole, miss my buddy Steve, and appreciate nature! 17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic 969504605
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-04-14, 19:11

kingstonlake wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Super neat and I’m not being sarcastic like these assholes. They should appreciate nature and earth’s creatures before we destroy it all. 

I can still be an asshole, miss my buddy Steve, and appreciate nature! 17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic 969504605

That’s a heck of a day right there!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-04-14, 19:14

Motown Spartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

It’s complicated
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-04-14, 19:17

This dude probably had a nice piece of murder for dinner.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-04-14, 19:24

kingstonlake wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

It’s complicated

It’s not though.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-14, 19:27

DWags wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I miss that guy.
Great story. Have you tried raw clams since?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-04-14, 20:46

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

tasted like chicken.   Honestly, so the GF's gramps  takes me out clamming. I mean if you drew a picture of the swashbuckling sea going shrimper/fisherman who makes aliving out of the sea, it was him. Bulbous red nose, white hair waving in the wind, yellow rain coat open slight beer belly protruding. Skin I dont know, not tan, but not white, and holding a bottle of vodka while driving the boat one handed.  So, I don't think he liked me or trusted me.  But, he made me tie a tub around my waist and jump overboard on a big sand bar, which he knew was there and got there somehow without GPS, or anything  Then gave me a rake with a net on it and made me rake it. When I hit something hard, I turned the rake upside down and damn, clams were in it.  

So, on the way back he threw me a knife, I dont know if it was too me or at me to this day.   I didn't catch it, but it hit my seat.  I picked it up and then he threw me fresh clams.  boat was fucking going by itself, and I was to scared to tell this drunk guy maybe he should grab the fucking wheel.  Anyway, he started poppling open clams with his knife, and eating them raw.  Takes a shot, pops one or two open and eats them raw.  Shit, I had to do it too.  Cut my hands, he gave me a chug every once in a while.  Got into shore, docked the boat, I threw up, he chuckled. It wasn't cause I was drunk, I wasn't. It was fucking raw clams and three or four chugs of vodka and a boat that was not smooth.  

I miss that guy.  

We used to shuck oysters and do shots of vodka at America’s Cup downtown, and no knives were ever thrown at us.

Oh, and I’d like you to tell Mrs. DWags that you miss your ex-GF’s dad. Let’s see how she responds.

As you know, I don't mind telling my life story.   So, weird dynamic with the two.  I dated one from my freshman year in high school till the final year of college. 8 years.  The other I married.  I have only had two serious relationships.  Both of them.  They've met and like each other. They're friends.  The GF is often at my tailgate parties. I've seen them both point and laugh at me and I know they're saying some dumb  shit about me like penis size or something only women can laugh at about me. They are separated by two years or so and never felt a competition.  GF showed up at my dad's funeral, and sat with my wife at the luncheon afterward.  GF's dad was kind of a dick. This story is about her Grandpa.   He was pretty salty and cool.   I'm certain when the GF's mom dies, she's getting up there in age, both my wife and I will be at her funeral if I'm still alive.  Anyway, there it is.

and pantry, I have not, nor do I have any desire to have raw clams again. It was pretty sick.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-14, 21:16

DWags wrote:and pantry, I have not, nor do I have any desire to have raw clams again.   It was pretty sick.
Likely not the type of clam you ate but give Hokkigai a try next time you get sushi/sashimi.  Very good, with sort of a crisp texture.

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic Hokkig10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-04-14, 21:25

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:and pantry, I have not, nor do I have any desire to have raw clams again.   It was pretty sick.
Likely not the type of clam you ate but give Hokkigai a try next time you get sushi/sashimi.  Very good, with sort of a crisp texture.

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic Hokkig10

Did you pull those out of Spock's ears?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-04-14, 21:38

The Pantry wrote:

They look great. Is that a hunk of Wasabi? I was in my 40's the first time I was introduced to that stuff. Wow. Van Andal arena at a wine tasting. I thought it was just like Shrimp dip with a different flavor. Took to much of it. Boom!
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-04-14, 22:03

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

As you know, I don't mind telling my life story.   So, weird dynamic with the two.  I dated one from my freshman year in high school till the final year of college. 8 years.  The other I married.  I have only had two serious relationships.  Both of them.  They've met and like each other. They're friends.  The GF is often at my tailgate parties. I've seen them both point and laugh at me and I know they're saying some dumb  shit about me like penis size or something only women can laugh at about me. They are separated by two years or so and never felt a competition.  GF showed up at my dad's funeral, and sat with my wife at the luncheon afterward.  GF's dad was kind of a dick. This story is about her Grandpa.   He was pretty salty and cool.   I'm certain when the GF's mom dies, she's getting up there in age, both my wife and I will be at her funeral if I'm still alive.  Anyway, there it is.

and pantry, I have not, nor do I have any desire to have raw clams again. It was pretty sick.

It would be fun to reply to this with my usual snark, but it’s actually a great story and I got a warm glow of happiness for you. Please stop telling it anymore.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-04-14, 22:05

The Pantry wrote:

We have tulips with petals that look just like that. Might not taste as good but it would be a lot less expensive.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-04-15, 08:27

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

It would be fun to reply to this with my usual snark, but it’s actually a great story and I got a warm glow of happiness for you. Please stop telling it anymore.

It's on the interwebs so it's there forever. In a million years someone from a different solar system will be able to find it and it will help it decipher just wtf happened to earth and why did everyone leave.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-15, 09:36

DWags wrote:

They look great. Is that a hunk of Wasabi? I was in my 40's the first time I was introduced to that stuff. Wow. Van Andal arena at a wine tasting. I thought it was just like Shrimp dip with a different flavor. Took to much of it. Boom!
Yes, wasabi...use sparingly. Like Chinese hot mustard it is powerful but the sensation goes away quickly.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-04-15, 09:39

tGreenWay wrote:
We have tulips with petals that look just like that. Might not taste as good but it would be a lot less expensive.
Not that expensive.  There's a sushi grocery store in Clawson.

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic Noble_10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-04-15, 09:51

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

tasted like chicken.   Honestly, so the GF's gramps  takes me out clamming. I mean if you drew a picture of the swashbuckling sea going shrimper/fisherman who makes aliving out of the sea, it was him. Bulbous red nose, white hair waving in the wind, yellow rain coat open slight beer belly protruding. Skin I dont know, not tan, but not white, and holding a bottle of vodka while driving the boat one handed.  So, I don't think he liked me or trusted me.  But, he made me tie a tub around my waist and jump overboard on a big sand bar, which he knew was there and got there somehow without GPS, or anything  Then gave me a rake with a net on it and made me rake it. When I hit something hard, I turned the rake upside down and damn, clams were in it.  

So, on the way back he threw me a knife, I dont know if it was too me or at me to this day.   I didn't catch it, but it hit my seat.  I picked it up and then he threw me fresh clams.  boat was fucking going by itself, and I was to scared to tell this drunk guy maybe he should grab the fucking wheel.  Anyway, he started poppling open clams with his knife, and eating them raw.  Takes a shot, pops one or two open and eats them raw.  Shit, I had to do it too.  Cut my hands, he gave me a chug every once in a while.  Got into shore, docked the boat, I threw up, he chuckled. It wasn't cause I was drunk, I wasn't. It was fucking raw clams and three or four chugs of vodka and a boat that was not smooth.  

I miss that guy.  

Have you mentioned a 3some to them? 17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-04-15, 09:53

Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

Have you mentioned a 3some to them? 17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic 2599972566

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic 502811600

We're all in our late 50's, I want you to try to get that image out of your head at lunch today.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-04-15, 10:11

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic 502811600

We're all in our late 50's, I want you to try to get that image out of your head at lunch today.
Being a Spartan, I fully trust you can groove 2 chicks at one time in your late 50's Dwags.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-04-15, 10:23

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

17-foot shark leaves Outer Banks, shows up 2,000 miles east on other side of Atlantic 3434560931
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-04-15, 10:23

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

You need to get up to speed so you can hit the ground running when you all relocate to The Villages in the cumming years.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2021-04-15, 10:27

When I get old I am definitely moving to the Villages. Can't wait in fact, what a hoot. I haven't told my wife.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-04-15, 10:40

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:When I get old I am definitely moving to the Villages. Can't wait in fact, what a hoot. I haven't told my wife.

Don't they have golfcart races at 7:00 until 7:30 every night? That'd be such a wonderful time and then everyone could be in bed by 8
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-04-15, 10:50

Jake from State Farm wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:When I get old I am definitely moving to the Villages. Can't wait in fact, what a hoot. I haven't told my wife.

Don't they have golfcart races at 7:00 until 7:30 every night? That'd be such a wonderful time and then everyone could be in bed by 8

It's like going back to college...without all that annoying book learning. Just party 24/7. Well, more like 5 or 6/7, but still.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-04-15, 11:05

DWags & Heat together again at The Villages dance party.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-04-15, 11:10

tGreenWay wrote:DWags & Heat together again at The Villages dance party.

That's pretty awesome. The ladies are lining up for those two.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next