Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goodbye scholarship limits and parity

+5
aualum06
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
9 posters

Go down

Goodbye scholarship limits and parity Empty Goodbye scholarship limits and parity

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-13, 08:02

BYU Cougars sponsor offers to cover tuition for walk-on members of football team

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Goodbye scholarship limits and parity Empty Re: Goodbye scholarship limits and parity

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-13, 08:07

Yes. Goodbye to parity in…. Checks notes…. College football
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay, y2kMgrad, AvgMSUJoe and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Goodbye scholarship limits and parity Empty Re: Goodbye scholarship limits and parity

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-08-13, 08:17

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Yes. Goodbye to parity in…. Checks notes…. College football

Goodbye scholarship limits and parity 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 08:35

Walk-ons work hard, they are valuable, and worth every penny! Good on BYU.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-13, 09:20

steveschneider wrote:Walk-ons work hard, they are valuable, and worth every penny! Good on BYU.

Might have some Title IX implications.

One step closer to major football programs breaking away from the NCAA.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 09:33

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Walk-ons work hard, they are valuable, and worth every penny! Good on BYU.

Might have some Title IX implications.

One step closer to major football programs breaking away from the NCAA.

Yeah, that will be interesting to see how that all plays out. If you see any good articles on Title IX and the future of college sports send it my way.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-08-13, 10:00

Feels like a lot of money being thrown around at the newness of this wonder if it will last
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2021-08-13, 10:10

This is something that has the potential to kill off (or at least significantly harm) the Group of 5 conferences and smaller schools football programs.
Takes it back to a day when the big schools could just about get all the talent. There used to be a joke that the 3rd best team in the Big 8 conference was the winner of the Oklahoma Nebraska freshman game.
(for reference this was when freshmen were not eligible to play, and I guess the transfer window allows players to move on when they figure out they will never play a meaningful down at a Power 5 school.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-08-13, 10:12

Wally Fairway wrote:
Takes it back to a day when the big schools could just about get all the talent.

not to beat a dead horse, and repeat travis, but isn't this already happening for the most part?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 10:14

Wally Fairway wrote:This is something that has the potential to kill off (or at least significantly harm) the Group of 5 conferences and smaller schools football programs.
Takes it back to a day when the big schools could just about get all the talent. There used to be a joke that the 3rd best team in the Big 8 conference was the winner of the Oklahoma Nebraska freshman game.
(for reference this was when freshmen were not eligible to play, and I guess the transfer window allows players to move on when they figure out they will never play a meaningful down at a Power 5 school.

I made a season poll list. I literally don't know anything about the rosters or off season moves or recruiting and I like my chances to be pretty accurate towards the end of the year. I will admit covid is the wild card and could throw things off but we shall see.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-13, 10:19

Wally Fairway wrote:This is something that has the potential to kill off (or at least significantly harm) the Group of 5 conferences and smaller schools football programs.

Exactly. If schools/boosters start paying players over the 85 scholarship limit, then it's basically back to the old days of unlimited scholarships.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-08-13, 10:20

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Yes. Goodbye to parity in…. Checks notes…. College football

You shut your whore mouth!
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-13, 10:24

Nordic wrote:

I’m sorry :(

I don’t know, parity is a tricky thing. It’s a fine line. I don’t really care for the nhl’s ultimate parity, where year to year any team could be the winner and no one really knows which team is good and bad anymore year to year. College football is the exact opposite of that, where there is no parity whatsoever (again, nothing to say goodbye to, it does not exist) and that isn’t very fun either. The nba probably tends a little bit more toward college football, but it is still possible for a team like the bucks to get good. MLB might have the best parity structure right now actually- there are dominant teams sure but there’s fluidity to who they are and teams rise and fall
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-08-13, 10:29

aualum06 wrote:Feels like a lot of money being thrown around at the newness of this wonder if it will last

Happy for the walkons, but that is going to cost that company what, at least $1M? At some point investors will be looking for a ROI. Now that is open and everyone has access,, it is going to be valued differently. End of the day the market will dictate it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-08-13, 10:32

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I don’t know, parity is a tricky thing. It’s a fine line. I don’t really care for the nhl’s ultimate parity, where year to year any team could be the winner and no one really knows which team is good and bad anymore year to year. College football is the exact opposite of that, where there is no parity whatsoever (again, nothing to say goodbye to, it does not exist) and that isn’t very fun either. The nba probably tends a little bit more toward college football, but it is still possible for a team like the bucks to get good. MLB might have the best parity structure right now actually- there are dominant teams sure but there’s fluidity to who they are and teams rise and fall

The MLB's biggest competitive balance problem is that half the teams aren't really trying to win.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-13, 10:33

Nordic wrote:

A salary cap is designed to promote parity. College football's form of that would be the 85 scholarship limit.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-13, 10:35

Cameron wrote:

The MLB's biggest competitive balance problem is that half the teams aren't really trying to win.

That is definitely a problem. The same problem exists for the other professional sports though, not half, I’m not sure how that really get solved.

That’s a problem for mlb born out of having a relatively small playoff and massive regular season- which I think also contributes to making sure that you don’t have random ass results at the end of the playoffs like nhl, so it’s a trade off.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-13, 10:36

Scholarship limits mean fuck all to promoting parity as evidenced by the last…. However many years since scholarship limits have existed
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-13, 10:43

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Scholarship limits mean fuck all to promoting parity as evidenced by the last…. However many years since scholarship limits have existed

You don't think UM benefited by having unlimited scholarships over a school like Michigan State?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-13, 10:48

NigelUno wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Scholarship limits mean fuck all to promoting parity as evidenced by the last…. However many years since scholarship limits have existed

You don't think UM benefited by having unlimited scholarships over a school like Michigan State?

That’s not what I said Nigel. I said that scholarship limits have done fuck all to promote parity. Which is very true. Michigan has never been all that good, limits or not.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 10:53

Getting more networks beyond just the big three (ABC, CBS and NBC) has helped with parity. Cable has helped new blue blood programs rise up and flourish.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-13, 10:56

NigelUno wrote:

That’s not what I said Nigel. I said that scholarship limits have done fuck all to promote parity. Which is very true. Michigan has never been all that good, limits or not.

Weird way to not answer the question.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 12:19

Maybe we'll finally get to see that Premier League style super conference with the relegation game that fans have imagined up. At this point why not? Money is in and tradition has gone down the shitter.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-08-13, 14:43

The only limit is the 4 years of eligibility at this point. Or else it will be the pros.

(Spartan grads need to sell their damn pro teams and get real with this shit. 20 to 30 - $500K sponsorships for walkons should do it.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-14, 09:17

steveschneider wrote:

Maybe we'll finally get to see that Premier League style super conference with the relegation game that fans have imagined up. At this point why not? Money is in and tradition has gone down the shitter.

Sources -- Pac-12, Big Ten, ACC discussing formation of alliance, likely around scheduling
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-15, 20:44

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Sources -- Pac-12, Big Ten, ACC discussing formation of alliance, likely around scheduling

Big 10 still draws bigger TV ratings over the SEC. If the B10 is smart they get rid of the cupcake non conference games and start improving their scheduling. Build your brand by offering more exciting games to watch that dominate prime time.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down