Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

35 years ago today

+13
The Pantry
DWags
Motown Spartan
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
Heat Miser
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
duffy munn
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

35 years ago today - Page 2 Empty Re: 35 years ago today

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-16, 08:47

duffy munn wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:I could make you feel really old.
But I won't.

I'm have 3.85 grand kids, Dendro. ( 4th due in 6 weeks). Nothing you can do can make me feel any older but I welcome what you have to offer.

Damn Duffy, you are older than I thought 35 years ago today - Page 2 502811600

I was going to say, I was a baby at that time. 86 is a good year 35 years ago today - Page 2 3493939353
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-16, 09:04

Dendrobates wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I'm have 3.85 grand kids, Dendro. ( 4th due in 6 weeks). Nothing you can do can make me feel any older but I welcome what you have to offer.

I was going to say, I was a baby at that time. 86 is a good year 35 years ago today - Page 2 3493939353

My oldest was a toddler Dendro but I started early. First kid at 21 and grandpapi at 52. Everyone thought I was crazy but I think i'm getting the last laugh watching my friends deal with their high school kids as they are pushing 60.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-09-16, 09:23

duffy munn wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

My oldest was a toddler Dendro but I started early. First kid at 21 and grandpapi at 52. Everyone thought I was crazy but I think i'm getting the last laugh watching my friends deal with their high school kids as they are pushing 60.
We are roughly the same age (I'm 58) and I have a daughter in second grade. It wasn't the plan, just how it worked out and in retrospect I would not have it any other way.

I would have been a shitty parent at age 21 (in no way suggesting you were). I was too impatient and immature. I can now appreciate the highlight of my morning was making pancakes with my daughter.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

tGreenWay, duffy munn and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-09-16, 09:28

No offense, duff, but I only ever went to Landshark a couple of times (probably less than 5). At least at that time (94-96 being my peak bar-going years on EL), Landshark had the reputation as a frat bar, and that wasn't really our scene. I was more of a Rick's, Riv, Crunchy's guy (and later Spartan Sports Den, but that was after I graduated and still living in EL).

If I had known then that I would later meet the owner on that new-fangled computer platform that was starting to connect people around the world, I probably would have gone more often.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-16, 10:06

MSU addict wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

We are roughly the same age (I'm 58) and I have a daughter in second grade. It wasn't the plan, just how it worked out and in retrospect I would not have it any other way.

I would have been a shitty parent at age 21 (in no way suggesting you were). I was too impatient and immature. I can now appreciate the highlight of my morning was making pancakes with my daughter.

All good brother. Didn't mean to suggest there is a right or wrong way or time. I can tell you having a kid when you are 21 makes you grow up. FAST. We are the same age put I'm going to sound like your Dad now: enjoy every moment with that little girl. and don't blink.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

MSU addict likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-09-16, 10:15

MiamiSpartan wrote:No offense, duff, but I only ever went to Landshark a couple of times (probably less than 5). At least at that time (94-96 being my peak bar-going years on EL), Landshark had the reputation as a frat bar, and that wasn't really our scene. I was more of a Rick's, Riv, Crunchy's guy (and later Spartan Sports Den, but that was after I graduated and still living in EL).

If I had known then that I would later meet the owner on that new-fangled computer platform that was starting to connect people around the world, I probably would have gone more often.

Crunchy's. Remember Marge? Had that gravely voice & would bring your food with a cigarette dangling from her mouth? We loved Marge. Gave her a lot of shit & she gave it right back.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-16, 10:18

Heat Miser wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:No offense, duff, but I only ever went to Landshark a couple of times (probably less than 5). At least at that time (94-96 being my peak bar-going years on EL), Landshark had the reputation as a frat bar, and that wasn't really our scene. I was more of a Rick's, Riv, Crunchy's guy (and later Spartan Sports Den, but that was after I graduated and still living in EL).

Crunchy's. Remember Marge? Had that gravely voice & would bring your food with a cigarette dangling from her mouth? We loved Marge. Gave her a lot of shit & she gave it right back.

Classic. Everyone loved Marge.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-16, 10:23

Heat Miser wrote:

Wasn't her name Ethel?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-09-16, 10:44

duffy munn wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Wasn't her name Ethel?

35 years ago today - Page 2 294152859 Ethel. Correct. "You boys got'ny ID?"
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-16, 10:57

Going off memory here but was it the Landshark that used to have a free wing night in the middle of the week during the 90's? If so thank you Duffy that meant a lot to a legit broke college kid at the time.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-16, 11:14

steveschneider wrote:Going off memory here but was it the Landshark that used to have a free wing night in the middle of the week during the 90's? If so thank you Duffy that meant a lot to a legit broke college kid at the time.

Yes. Monday nights. Flozzel Adams made a mockery of the whole thing. Dude was good for about 10lbs of wings.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-16, 11:33

I think Ethel was a smoker.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-16, 11:33

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Going off memory here but was it the Landshark that used to have a free wing night in the middle of the week during the 90's? If so thank you Duffy that meant a lot to a legit broke college kid at the time.

Yes. Monday nights. Flozzel Adams made a mockery of the whole thing. Dude was good for about 10lbs of wings.

I can't say I ate as many as Flozzel but it got me out to your place.  I remember one night at the place with a bunch of girls drinking a Shark Bowl and someone brought me one of those terrible cinnamon fireball shots or maybe it was tequilla with hot sauce I don't completely remember. I do remember declining it. I had a devil on one shoulder saying 'Free booze drink it moron' and this angel was saying "hey dumbass just because it's alcohol and it's free doesn't mean you have to drink it if you think it tastes like shit."
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-16, 11:41

When I was in college, the Landshark and the Riv always had long lines to get in. And I got a lot of creepy vibes when I was there.

Overall, I didn't go to the bars often. I worked most weekends at beaumont hospital, and I just didn't have the money to spend.
Usually the hubby and I would go to the bar on a Wednesday for cheap drinks. Looking back, we were pretty lame/tame and just focused on graduating in the 4 year span.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-16, 12:23

Sorry to say I never made it into the Landshark. I was four years removed from E.L. by the time you opened it, and football Saturdays were spent in lots by Erickson Kiva and between E & W Shaw across from the International Center.

I think the only thing that's in the same spot as when I was at MSU is Campbell's Smoke Shop lol.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-09-16, 12:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:Sorry to say I never made it into the Landshark. I was four years removed from E.L. by the time you opened it, and football Saturdays were spent in lots by Erickson Kiva and between E & W Shaw across from the International Center.

I think the only thing that's in the same spot as when I was at MSU is Campbell's Smoke Shop lol.

Which was your favorite speakeasy?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-09-16, 12:49

I was at MSU 1999 to 2003 Dendros and Miami’s descriptions ring true for me. Known as a frat bar and always a line. My brother was in a pretty popular band so most weekends o just went where they were in Lansing or EL. They didn’t play at the Shark.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-16, 12:49

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Sorry to say I never made it into the Landshark. I was four years removed from E.L. by the time you opened it, and football Saturdays were spent in lots by Erickson Kiva and between E & W Shaw across from the International Center.

Which was your favorite speakeasy?

Probably the original location of PT's on Grand River. I walked in the door at about 12:10PM the day of the grand opening and didn't leave for 12 hours. I'm sure that I spent more time in there my last two years in E.L. than anywhere else. I lived at the corner of Beech and Park, so it was pretty convenient. Once in a while I'd hit Dooley's and sometimes it was Casey's/Moons/Whatever it was called.

I lived in Akers my first two years, do during that time I frequented Coral Gables a lot, and again Dooley's to a lesser degree but man that was hike back to east campus when buzzed.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-09-16, 12:51

Erickson Kiva was a cool space. Saw Agent Orange there. Saw a few other bands too but can’t remember who.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-16, 12:53

Rocinante wrote:

Erickson Kiva was a cool space. Saw Agent Orange there. Saw a few other bands too but can’t remember who.

Never saw a concert there, but I did see Johnny Cougar in McDonnel Kiva in 1978. Me and about 200 other people.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-09-16, 12:55

What was the bar across the street from the Riv. I think it’sa CVS now.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-09-16, 13:08

Rocinante wrote:What was the bar across the street from the Riv. I think it’sa CVS now.

I think that was Alley Eye/Players Club when I was there.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-09-16, 13:15

Rocinante wrote:What was the bar across the street from the Riv. I think it’sa CVS now.
Small Planet or something like that?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Rocinante likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-16, 13:20

Americas Cup with Bizar downstairs. Lower level became BW3 first location
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-16, 13:22

You guys are all right about the bars where CVS stands now. First it was the Alley Eye, became Americas cup and finally Small Planet moved fro the Ann st plaza.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-09-16, 16:20

Small Planet was what I was thinking of.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-16, 19:18

duffy munn wrote:You guys are all right about the bars where CVS stands now. First it was the Alley Eye, became Americas cup and finally Small Planet moved fro the Ann st plaza.
Never went to America's Cup, which IIRC was upstairs in that little mall...next to WhereHouse Records? Alley Eye was downstairs and eventually became Players Club while I was in EL.

Where was Landshark's location?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-16, 19:30

NigelUno wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Must be old cause no idea what any of you are talking about.  What is/was the Landshark?  Who is Jiggles?

Restaurants/bars I remember:

Beggar's Banquet
Lizard's Lounge
El Azteco...both EL and Lansing locations
Dooley's
Pan Tree
Pretzel Bell
Alley Eye/Players Club
the place west of Harrison, north of Trowbridge that had decent clam chowder.  Think the name started with an H?
the bar at the Harley Hotel senior year was excellent.  Had a great jazz band playing 4 nights a week.
the place a block off Grand River that had a Bluegrass band Thursday nights
Silver Dollar
MAC's
Westside
never went to Coral Gables
At least a dozen other places I can't remember

I'll help you out with a few.

Burger King
Sir Pizza
McDonald's
Taco Bell
Arby's
Incorrect, except for BK...they offered 2 for 1 Whoppers on Wednesdays, or maybe Thursdays? Never heard of Sir Pizza. Bell's Pizza on GR was damn good back in the day...grinders too.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-09-16, 20:34

The Pantry wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Burger King
Sir Pizza
McDonald's
Taco Bell
Arby's
Incorrect, except for BK...they offered 2 for 1 Whoppers on Wednesdays, or maybe Thursdays? Never heard of Sir Pizza. Bell's Pizza on GR was damn good back in the day...grinders too.

Bells pizza 35 years ago today - Page 2 1401550746

Back in 2004, all they could do was try and give bells Pizza away. You only ate it if you were desperate or really drunk.
I remember it was sign up for a credit card and get a free bell's Pizza. So much of that went straight in the garbage 35 years ago today - Page 2 502811600
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-16, 20:51

Dendrobates wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Incorrect, except for BK...they offered 2 for 1 Whoppers on Wednesdays, or maybe Thursdays?  Never heard of Sir Pizza.  Bell's Pizza on GR was damn good back in the day...grinders too.

Back in 2004, all they could do was try and give bells Pizza away. You only ate it if you were desperate or really drunk.
I remember it was sign up for a credit card and get a free bell's Pizza. So much of that went straight in the garbage  35 years ago today - Page 2 502811600
Bell's was excellent in my years from 77 to 81.  Was a great go-to on Sunday evenings when the dorm cafeteria wasn't operating for dinner.  No idea what happened to Bell's...maybe duffy can offer some insight?

Bell's opened a place on Maple (15 Mile) at Livernois years ago.  Tried it once or twice.  Wasn't the same. Closed a year/2 later.

Last edited by The Pantry on 2021-09-16, 20:56; edited 1 time in total
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-16, 20:55

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:You guys are all right about the bars where CVS stands now. First it was the Alley Eye, became Americas cup and finally Small Planet moved fro the Ann st plaza.
Never went to America's Cup, which IIRC was upstairs in that little mall...next to WhereHouse Records? Alley Eye was downstairs and eventually became Players Club while I was in EL.

Where was Landshark's location?

The Landshark is located at the corner of Grand river and Abbott. Downstairs. In your day I'm thinking it was Roberts but is most famous for being the first ever liquor license granted in East Lansing. It was called the Cave N' the Candles and was a fine dinning joint that catered to lobbyists and state government ( senators, etc).

In 1969 an 8oz filet and Lobster tail went for $6.75. Coffee was a dime.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-16, 20:58

The Pantry wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

I remember it was sign up for a credit card and get a free bell's Pizza. So much of that went straight in the garbage  35 years ago today - Page 2 502811600
Bell's was excellent in my years from 77 to 81.  Was a great go-to on Sunday evenings when the dorm cafeteria wasn't operating for dinner.  No idea what happened to Bell's...maybe duffy can offer some insight?

Bell's opened a place on Maple (15 Mile) at Livernois years ago.  Tried it once or twice.  Wasn't the same.

Bells is still operating at their E Grand River location. They do a shit load of catering for the university as well as a thriving business for the general public.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-16, 21:08

The Pantry wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Burger King
Sir Pizza
McDonald's
Taco Bell
Arby's
Incorrect, except for BK...they offered 2 for 1 Whoppers on Wednesdays, or maybe Thursdays?  Never heard of Sir Pizza.  Bell's Pizza on GR was damn good back in the day...grinders too.

35 years ago today - Page 2 Magic-johnson
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-16, 21:13

duffy munn wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Bell's opened a place on Maple (15 Mile) at Livernois years ago.  Tried it once or twice.  Wasn't the same.

Bells is still operating at their E Grand River location. They do a shit load of catering for the university as well as a thriving business for the general public.
Good to hear.

You, of all people, should remember the name of the place north of Trowbridge, west of Harrison I referenced earlier. Was it Hobie's?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-17, 00:03

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Good to hear.

You, of all people, should remember the name of the place north of Trowbridge, west of Harrison I referenced earlier. Was it Hobie's?

Yes it was Hobies and they closed about 5 years ago. Food was good and they had a ton of history.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-09-17, 01:31

I liked Bell’s…☹
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-23, 21:16

Hey Duffy,

If you're back on the board tonight and see this, just know that I think you are one hell of a Spartan. Glad to see you back earlier. That's all brother.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-09-24, 07:23

DWags wrote:Hey Duffy,

If you're back on the board tonight and see this, just know that I think you are one hell of a Spartan. Glad to see you back earlier. That's all brother.

Thanks Wags
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2