Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad?

+11
Turtleneck
Tim Wakefield
duffy munn
AvgMSUJoe
NigelUno
tGreenWay
DWags
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad? Empty Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 8:57

deserves a thread of its own.

Okemos has never had a strong football team, at least in recent history. But, my GOD.. look at the final scores this season:

Okemos vs Mason - L 57-7
Okemos vs Haslett - L 47-0
Okemos vs Holt - L 60-0
Okemos vs Waverly - L 62-0
Okemos vs St Joseph - L 75-0
Okemos vs DeWitt - L 65-0
Okemos vs Grand Ledge - L 43-0
Okemos vs Everett - L 50-0
Okemos vs East Lansing - L 49-0

East Lansing was up 42-0... at the end of the first quarter. Shocked

DWags.. how insane is this? Not necessarily going 0-9 (that's bad enough) but look at those margins of victory. They scored one time.. ONE TIME.. all season.  Shocked   Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad? 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad? Empty Re: Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:12

random thought post, sorry bob.. there are not a lot of less interesting things to me than high school football

Last edited by Other Teams Pursuing That on Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:17; edited 1 time in total
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad? Empty Re: Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:15

Okemos seems like the kind of town where you’d have a tough time finding many parents willing to let their kid play football
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:15

How bad is Mason that they're the only ones that allowed them to score?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:deserves a thread of its own.

Okemos has never had a strong football team, at least in recent history. But, my GOD.. look at the final scores this season:

Okemos vs Mason - L 57-7
Okemos vs Holt - L 60-0

DWags.. how insane is this? Not necessarily going 0-9 (that's bad enough) but look at those margins of victory. They scored one time.. ONE TIME.. all season.  Shocked   Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad? 502811600

I don't get it. It has to be a cancer in the program where people just don't want to do the things to get better. Or, the coach doesn't have the programs to get the kids better or, he does, but the kids dont' like his personality. Shit, that's crazy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:40

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:deserves a thread of its own.

Okemos vs Mason - L 57-7
Okemos vs Holt - L 60-0

I don't get it.  It has to be a cancer in the program where people just don't want to do the things to get better.  Or, the coach doesn't have the programs to get the kids better or, he does, but the kids dont' like his personality.   Shit, that's crazy.
yeah, I agree - there has to be something going on directly within the athletic dept., the team, etc. This is the sort of season that might make the school board say "why the heck are we funding this"?

yeah, Okemos is a country club sport school. But you'd think they could at least have enough guys on the team to go 0-9 while losing, say, 21-10 or 17-7?

I have some local HS athletic dept., contacts. Might have to put on my investigative journalist hat.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:59

Never thought I’d see the day Waverly beat anybody 62-0, let alone Okemos.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:00

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

I don't get it.  It has to be a cancer in the program where people just don't want to do the things to get better.  Or, the coach doesn't have the programs to get the kids better or, he does, but the kids dont' like his personality.   Shit, that's crazy.
yeah, I agree - there has to be something going on directly within the athletic dept., the team, etc. This is the sort of season that might make the school board say "why the heck are we funding this"?

yeah, Okemos is a country club sport school. But you'd think they could at least have enough guys on the team to go 0-9 while losing, say, 21-10 or 17-7?

I have some local HS athletic dept., contacts. Might have to put on my investigative journalist hat.

Coach quit before the season started. Pretty sure most of the assistants quit also. Feeder program was probably suffering for years. Kids get involved playing other sports more competitively at a younger age. Easy for parents to eliminate football as an option.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:04

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Coach quit before the season started. Pretty sure most of the assistants quit also. Feeder program was probably suffering for years. Kids get involved playing other sports more competitively at a younger age. Easy for parents to eliminate football as an option.
sounds plausible. COVID season definitely didn't help from a feeder program standpoint.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:20

I think this might be part of the problem tbh.

“As of right now Okemos’ football team is made up of 18 players. That’s it.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlns.com/news/okemos-brad-lilly-has-one-mission-for-the-2021-22-season-and-that-is-to-grow-our-football-family/amp/
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:28

A co-worker said they have 3 freshman soccer teams. (or something like that).... and a freshman offensive line on varsity.

Plus "school of choice". Anyone worth a damn in football goes to EL or Haslett.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I think this might be part of the problem tbh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlns.com/news/okemos-brad-lilly-has-one-mission-for-the-2021-22-season-and-that-is-to-grow-our-football-family/amp/

That's just crazy and probably a bit dangerous. Looks like football is on the verge of extinction at Okemos High school. Sad because they have invested in the program. Their newish stadium and field are really nice. Maybe they just move on to 8 man football.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:53

Bridgman Bees finish 9-0! Unfortunately we're too big for the 8-man playoffs. Stupid as hell

We kicked ass this year (beat state power Mendon 45-0). I really wish these kids had a chance, I think we'd win it all

Last edited by Tim Wakefield on Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:54; edited 1 time in total
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:54

duffy munn wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I think this might be part of the problem tbh.

That's just crazy and probably a bit dangerous. Looks like football is on the verge of extinction at Okemos High school. Sad because they have invested in the program. Their newish stadium and field are really nice. Maybe they just move on to 8 man football.

Lawyers make decent money on big cases and help out the community.  Thanks Larry.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 11:17

I think they won at least half of their games when I went there. I didn't really pay much attention though, too busy pursuing other interests.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 11:21

Are the players coaching? Maybe fans get to take turns calling plays? That's pretty bad.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 11:40

Turtleneck wrote:Are the players coaching? Maybe fans get to take turns calling plays? That's pretty bad.
that's kind of what I was thinking. Going 0-9.. hell, stuff happens.

but then I looked up their season, saw the individual game finals and was = affraid  - as I mentioned, East Lansing was up 42-0... AT THE END OF THE FIRST QUARTER.

as bad as each of these finals were, you have to figure it could've been twice as worse.

and, as much as I admire the players who were still out there playing, imagine being an Okemos parent sitting in the stands and having to watch that. Yikes.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 11:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Are the players coaching? Maybe fans get to take turns calling plays? That's pretty bad.

but then I looked up their season, saw the individual game finals and was = affraid  - as I mentioned, East Lansing was up 42-0... AT THE END OF THE FIRST QUARTER.

as bad as each of these finals were, you have to figure it could've been twice as worse.

and, as much as I admire the players who were still out there playing, imagine being an Okemos parent sitting in the stands and having to watch that. Yikes.

If I had a child on a team that bad, I would put the child up for adoption.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay, DWags and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 12:21

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

that's too much paperwork for a kid like that.. I'd just drop them off at the bus station.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, duffy munn, DWags, Turtleneck and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 12:35

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

that's too much paperwork for a kid like that.. I'd just drop them off at the bus station.

Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad? 502811600 Caution: High School Football Commentary... How Was Okemos HS This Bad? 502811600
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 14:46

Tim Wakefield wrote:Bridgman Bees finish 9-0! Unfortunately we're too big for the 8-man playoffs. Stupid as hell

We kicked ass this year (beat state power Mendon 45-0). I really wish these kids had a chance, I think we'd win it all

They must’ve created quite a buzz around town. 🐝
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 15:23

tGreenWay wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:Bridgman Bees finish 9-0! Unfortunately we're too big for the 8-man playoffs. Stupid as hell

They got stung by their size.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 15:23

By the way, , pretty damn good kicker from that HS. Buzzzzzzzzxx
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 17:42

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

They got stung by their size.

Look honey, don’t poke at that nest.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 8 Nov 2021 - 12:24

Probably has a little to do with it
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 8 Nov 2021 - 12:39

wait there are 8 player football teams out there?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 8 Nov 2021 - 14:59

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Probably has a little to do with it

Canary in a coal mine. Okemos has a pretty solid tradition of successful football teams, and for there to be such demand for soccer and so little interest in football says a lot. Soccer has finally made its way into the DNA of younger generations in America, and considering how less… violent it is, parents seem good with it. DWags would know better but I imagine many schools would love cutting football with all of its added expenses.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 8 Nov 2021 - 16:00

tGreenWay wrote:

Canary in a coal mine. Okemos has a pretty solid tradition of successful football teams, and for there to be such demand for soccer and so little interest in football says a lot. Soccer has finally made its way into the DNA of younger generations in America, and considering how less… violent it is, parents seem good with it. DWags would know better but I imagine many schools would love cutting football with all of its added expenses.
Maybe. I would guess the majority of Okemos' parents are educated or in education...assuming they would be the first to get their kids out of it.
Going to be interesting in the next 7-10 years. The kids who established themselves as "football" kids prior to CTE are still in the system. But soon, not.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon 8 Nov 2021 - 16:16

AvgMSUJoe wrote:A co-worker said they have 3 freshman soccer teams. (or something like that).... and a freshman offensive line on varsity.

Plus "school of choice". Anyone worth a damn in football goes to EL or Haslett.

3 freshman soccer teams and a 2021 D1 MHSAA Boys Soccer State Championship
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 8 Nov 2021 - 16:38

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Maybe. I would guess the majority of Okemos' parents are educated or in education...assuming they would be the first to get their kids out of it.
Going to be interesting in the next 7-10 years. The kids who established themselves as "football" kids prior to CTE are still in the system. But soon, not.

Exactly what I was thinking, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 9:38

Caution: More high school football commentary. If fragile, please look away..

so, Okemos football is back at it again this season. So far, they've played three games:

Okemos vs Mason 69 - 0 (L)
Okemos vs Haslett 66 - 0 (L)
Okemos vs East Lansing 77 - 0 (L)

how much longer can the district fund a football program?

former EL football/basketball/track standout Efe Scott Emakpour took over the head coaching ranks this fall and I suspect that if given the time, support, etc., he will eventually be able to have them a bit more competitive but, man, this has got to be hard to watch if you're a parent of an Okemos player.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 9:42

So it’s been 11 games since they last scored a point then? That’s rough. You’d think at some point they would accidentally score somehow (famous last words last uttered during greenways single guy days)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 9:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Caution: More high school football commentary. If fragile, please look away..

so, Okemos football is back at it again this season. So far, they've played three games:

former EL football/basketball/track standout Efe Scott Emakpour took over the head coaching ranks this fall and I suspect that if given the time, support, etc., he will eventually be able to have them a bit more competitive but, man, this has got to be hard to watch if you're a parent of an Okemos player.

To me, it sounds dangerous to the kids. They are obviously way outmanned by superior athletes who could hurt them. I don’t know what the rest of their schedule looks like but it’s something the administration really hast to look into
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 9:55

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Caution: More high school football commentary. If fragile, please look away..

To me, it sounds dangerous to the kids. They are obviously way outmanned by superior athletes who could hurt them. I don’t know what the rest of their schedule looks like but it’s something the administration really hast to look into
true and a good point.

I don't go to EL games since the kid graduated (though I think I'll go this Friday vs. Dewitt as EL christens the new turf), but East Lansing was up 56-0 at the half.

granted, the Trojans are likely the best team in mid-Michigan, and I'm sure Feraco did nothing but run the ball up the middle the entire 2nd half, but you can't tell your team not to score.

DWags - serious question. If you're coaching a HS team that is literally capable of scoring on each play vs. a completely outmanned team, how do you handle that? Do you ask a receiver if he wants to play QB? Do you dress out the managers at halftime?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 9:55

tGreenWay wrote:

All in on this.

Football is a brutal "sport"
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 10:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

true and a good point.

I don't go to EL games since the kid graduated (though I think I'll go this Friday vs. Dewitt as EL christens the new turf), but East Lansing was up 56-0 at the half.

granted, the Trojans are likely the best team in mid-Michigan, and I'm sure Feraco did nothing but run the ball up the middle the entire 2nd half, but you can't tell your team not to score.

DWags - serious question. If you're coaching a HS team that is literally capable of scoring on each play vs. a completely outmanned team, how do you handle that? Do you ask a receiver if he wants to play QB? Do you dress out the managers at halftime?

I’m just going off tackle left and right with my second and third stringers. Kids that don’t get to play much will see a lot of action. I even might use simple pass patterns on 3rd and long especially if it’s just basic stuff. You’re right, you can’t tell kids not to score.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 10:31

Okemos vs Mason  69 - 0 (L)
Okemos vs Haslett   66 - 0 (L)
Okemos vs East Lansing   77 - 0 (L)

former EL football/basketball/track standout Efe Scott Emakpour  took over the head coaching ranks this fall and I suspect that if given the time,  support, etc., he will eventually be able to have them a bit more competitive but, man, this has got to be hard to watch if you're a parent of an Okemos player.

Might be in the best interest of the players to cancel the rest of the varsity season (and maybe freshman season if they are low on players).

Holland cancelled the rest of their varsity season.

Holland HS cancels season

Also think Okemos HS has become a soccer school and tennis school.  

You need a strong parent commitment to operate the 4th thru 6th grade Rocket football program then a commitment from the parents and school system to run the 78’ers getting middle school players ready for HS ball.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 10:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

true and a good point.

Go Panthers 🐆
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 13 Sep 2022 - 10:45

GRR Spartan wrote:

Okemos vs Mason  69 - 0 (L)
Okemos vs Haslett   66 - 0 (L)
Okemos vs East Lansing   77 - 0 (L)

former EL football/basketball/track standout Efe Scott Emakpour  took over the head coaching ranks this fall and I suspect that if given the time,  support, etc., he will eventually be able to have them a bit more competitive but, man, this has got to be hard to watch if you're a parent of an Okemos player.

Might be in the best interest of the players to cancel the rest of the varsity season (and maybe freshman season if they are low on players).

Holland cancelled the rest of their varsity season.

Holland HS cancels season

Also think Okemos HS has become a soccer school and tennis school.  

You need a strong parent commitment to operate the 4th thru 6th grade Rocket football program then a commitment from the parents and school system to run the 78’ers getting middle school players ready for HS ball.
Okemos has always done well in the country club sports.. I suspect their feeder programs suffered a lot during COVID, so that might play a role, too, in how vapid the HS program has become.

let's face it, football in a lot of communities isn't what it used to be, for all the reasons (and more) that have been mentioned here. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect it might be true, a lot of the guys on EL's team are likely school-of-choice kids.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 22 Sep 2022 - 7:39

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/9/17/2123552/-Is-tackle-football-unsafe

Pretty sure I wouldn't let my kids play football.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next