Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stagflation - looks like we have it.

+9
Trapper Gus
msugolfguy
kingstonlake
Cameron
GRR Spartan
TrapperGus
AvgMSUJoe
Rocinante
RQA
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Stagflation - looks like we have  it. Empty Stagflation - looks like we have it.

Post by RQA Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 16:25

Bad GDP number and inflation at a 30 year high. Yep, looks like we have stagflation.

Thanks President Xiden.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Stagflation - looks like we have  it. Empty Re: Stagflation - looks like we have it.

Post by Rocinante Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 18:47

You’re living in your own private Idaho
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe and TrapperGus like this post

Back to top Go down

Stagflation - looks like we have  it. Empty Re: Stagflation - looks like we have it.

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 22:41

Jesus, like any r has had a handle on economics for the last 40 years... bizzaro-world.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

TrapperGus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Sun 31 Oct 2021 - 14:59

Rocinante wrote:You’re living in your own private Idaho
What's wrong with Idaho?
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Sun 31 Oct 2021 - 15:00

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Jesus, like any r has had a handle on economics for the last 40 years... bizzaro-world.

Inflation under the last president (R)?
Inflation under the current president (D)?
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun 31 Oct 2021 - 17:32

RQA wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Jesus, like any r has had a handle on economics for the last 40 years... bizzaro-world.

As I said, bizzaro world... like fucking inflation during a worldwide pandemic is something we can even study prior to the last two years... you're paying like the old R playbook is relevant.
Inflation used to be a function of the amount of cash in the economy... this one is due to supply chain issues based on demand from the pandemic....
So... throwing out terms and numbers that are irrelevant and incapable of being manipulated by the govt is just looking for an excuse to bicker. Unless you want to discus trumps employment numbers after his shitty stimulus payoff to the billionaires...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Sun 31 Oct 2021 - 17:53

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
RQA wrote:

As I said, bizzaro world... like fucking inflation during a worldwide pandemic is something we can even study prior to the last two years... you're paying like the old R playbook is relevant.
Inflation used to be a function of the amount of cash in the economy... this one is due to supply chain issues based on demand from the pandemic....
So... throwing out terms and numbers that are irrelevant and incapable of being manipulated by the govt is just looking for an excuse to bicker. Unless you want to discus trumps employment numbers after his shitty stimulus payoff to the billionaires...

There has been about a 5% one time jump in the CPI.  However, since the most frequently reported CPI number is one which compares prices from one year ago with prices this month, for each month forward from the 5% jump until 12 months have passed the yearly price increase is reported as  a 5% increase.

Thus, RQA gets all hot and bothered each month about a price jump which happened in the first quarter of 2021.

As for the third quarter GDP, annualized to a 2% increase, well a 2% increase is about what the economy has averaged over the last 20 years, so it is about average. Economists were expecting much more earlier in the year before the supply couldn't keep up with the demand.

GDP, annualized, increase in Q1 was 6.4%
GDP, annualized, increase in Q2 was 6.7%
GDP, annualized, increase in Q3 was 2.0%

Those three quarters together have an annualized GDP of just over 5%, which is a really high, and probably unsustainable, growth rate.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Sun 31 Oct 2021 - 18:12

RQA wrote:

RQA, this is really not a place you want to get into.  

By many measures such as employment Trump was a disaster due to covid.

Furthermore, until Biden has a complete term the comparison is meaningless.

CPI under Trump increased by 7.5%, and the number is lower than it might have been, due to covid
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Sun 31 Oct 2021 - 22:14

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
RQA wrote:

So you are admitting that we have stagflation under the current (D) president that we didn't have under the last (R) president?

Baby steps........
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Sun 31 Oct 2021 - 22:17

TrapperGus wrote:
RQA wrote:

CPI under Trump increased by 7.5%, and the number is lower than it might have been, due to covid

Trump was president for 4 years. Under President Xiden the CPI is up at least 7.5% in 9 months!

You say inflation was low under Trump due to Covid. Your buddy AveJoe says inflation is high under Xiden due to Covid. Get together and agree on your story. Stagflation - looks like we have  it. 1f602
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:14

RQA wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Trump was president for 4 years.  Under President Xiden the CPI is up at least 7.5% in 9 months!

You say inflation was low under Trump due to Covid.  Your buddy AveJoe says inflation is high under Xiden due to Covid.   Get together and agree on your story.   Stagflation - looks like we have  it. 1f602

I gave you the numbers for the price increase during Trump but didn't call it high or low.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:22

RQA has a long history of claiming deficits are bad when a Democrat is in The White House and don’t matter when it’s a Republican.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:26

TrapperGus wrote:
RQA wrote:

Trump was president for 4 years.  Under President Xiden the CPI is up at least 7.5% in 9 months!

You say inflation was low under Trump due to Covid.  Your buddy AveJoe says inflation is high under Xiden due to Covid.   Get together and agree on your story.   Stagflation - looks like we have  it. 1f602

I gave you the numbers for the price increase during Trump but didn't call it high or low.

Less than 2% per year. I would venture to say that most would call that low.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:39

GRR Spartan wrote:RQA has a long history of claiming deficits are bad when a Democrat is in The White House and don’t matter when it’s a Republican.

Dishonest posting comes naturally to you GRR.

RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:49

RQA wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Less than 2% per year.   I would venture to say that most would call that low.  

Did you run a poll to determine that?

Try to not just make stuff up, please.

GW Bush - 3.1% yearly average
B Obama - 1.8% yearly average
D Trump - 1.9% yearly average

So Trump was the same as Obama, and Bush was higher.

Biden we just don't know, yet, we have to wait another 7 years and 3 months.

However, right now the CPI is up 4.5% from the day he was sworn in, so you are incorrect in your statement comparing his number right now to the total CPI increase during Trump's rule.

Last edited by TrapperGus on Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:56; edited 3 times in total
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:51

RQA wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:RQA has a long history of claiming deficits are bad when a Democrat is in The White House and don’t matter when it’s a Republican.

I had hoped you would leave Wells over on the RCMB.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:54

TrapperGus wrote:
RQA wrote:

Sorry, if someone lies about my posting history I am going to call them out on it.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 8:59

RQA wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Sorry, if someone lies about my posting history I am going to call them out on it.

So what is your excuse with your attack of GRR?

You have shown the tendency, on Wells, he noted.

Turn the other cheek, turn over a new leaf, whatever, but don't bring your Wells posting style over here.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 9:37

Not to take sides, but if someone is being called out for their posting history on Wells, it's unreasonable to accuse them of being the ones not leaving Wells behind.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Bredo Morstoel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 9:48

Cameron wrote:Not to take sides, but if someone is being called out for their posting history on Wells, it's unreasonable to accuse them of being the ones not leaving Wells behind.

I disagree, because ...

GRR's post was a factual opinion about RQA's posting content on Wells.

RQA responded with a personal attack on GRR.

The response to a comment with a personal attack is totally Wells, while the comment on posting style is also a Wells meme the "call and response" which devolves into a thread of trading insults back and forth (internet message board masturbation) is driven by the poster who starts the personal insults.

That said I did call out GRR in a different thread about what he is doing.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 9:54

"GRR's post was a factual opinion"

Weak sauce, Gus.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Bredo Morstoel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:03

Cameron wrote:"GRR's post was a factual opinion"

Weak sauce, Gus.

Perhaps - I tend to understate the situation in arguments.

IMO GRR's post was correct, however, to be fair to RQA I tempered that.

Not sure if you spent much time on Wells, so if you are commenting on my hedging or the situation on Wells itself.

TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:12

I have not spent time on Wells in many years. I vaguely remember RQA, and I don't imagine he and I agree on all that much, politically. But if you're advocating for leaving Wells in the past, I would have to think that forgetting past vendettas and disagreements (and the attendant judgments) would be part and parcel of that.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 10:27

The Average CPI for a few more President Administrations ...

Trump  - 1.9%
Obama - 1.8%
G Bush - 3.1%
Clinton - 2.8%
GHWB  - 4.4%
Reagan - 4.8%
Carter - 11.8%
Ford     - 7.0%
Nixon   - 7.4%
LBJ      - 2.6%
JFK      - 1.1%
Ike      - 1.5%

In CPI order

JFK      - 1.1%
Ike      - 1.5%
Obama - 1.8%
Trump  - 1.9%
LBJ      - 2.6%
Clinton - 2.8%
G Bush - 3.1%
GHWB  - 4.4%
Reagan - 4.8%
Ford     - 7.0%
Nixon   - 7.4%
Carter - 11.8%

Probably should split into before and after Nixon floated the dollar.

With Carter as the outlier the Republicans seem to dominate the higher CPI increases.

Stagflation was pretty much all of the 1970's, so Nixon, Ford & Carter. (and who knew that Ford's WIN effort actually had an effect?)
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 11:02

Just to point out, real GDP (inflation adjusted) averaged 3.85% in the 1970's

The GDP growth was mostly zero during 1974 & 1975

Stagflation really wasn't very stagnate.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 12:31

TrapperGus wrote:
RQA wrote:

Turn the other cheek, turn over a new leaf, whatever, but don't bring your Wells posting style over here.

My "attack" on GRR was in response to his lie about my posting history.

I think the massive runup in public debt will become problematic at some point if it is not already. I have no (that would be ZERO) history of supporting deficit spending under any president (R or D). I support a balanced budget amendment as the only way to fix this problem.

If you want to attack, dispute or argue with my views, have at it. But don't lie about what they are and then expect some sort of milk toast response from me
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 12:56

RQA wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

I think the massive runup in public debt will become problematic at some point if it is not already.   I have no (that would be ZERO) history of supporting deficit spending under any president (R or D).    I support a balanced budget amendment as the only way to fix this problem.

If you want to attack, dispute or argue with my views, have at it.   But don't lie about what they are and then expect some sort of milk toast response from me

This isn't Wells, it wasn't a lie, and you need to chill and fit in a little better. I agree that GRR shouldn't be pushing your buttons, but it takes two being assholes to fuck things up on a message board.

As for your view on public debt, well perhaps at some point it might be an issue, however advanced countries have run with debt levels over 200% of GDP for decades without significant issues so the US has a way to go before it might be an issue.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 13:30

TrapperGus wrote:
RQA wrote:

I think the massive runup in public debt will become problematic at some point if it is not already.   I have no (that would be ZERO) history of supporting deficit spending under any president (R or D).    I support a balanced budget amendment as the only way to fix this problem.

If you want to attack, dispute or argue with my views, have at it.   But don't lie about what they are and then expect some sort of milk toast response from me

This isn't Wells, it wasn't a lie, and you need to chill and fit in a little better.

It is an outright LIE. I argued against massive deficit spending no matter the political party of the president. Sad that you choose to join GRR attributing views to me that I don't hold.

If there is some badness drifting into this board from WH it is coming from posters like GRR and you who just can't be satisfied with a honest debate.

I am not going to "chill" about dishonest posters. If that is what you expect it would be best that you choose not to engage with me.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 15:08

RQA wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

This isn't Wells, it wasn't a lie, and you need to chill and fit in a little better.  

It is an outright LIE.   I argued against massive deficit spending no matter the political party of the president.   Sad that you choose to join GRR attributing views to me that I don't hold.

If there is some badness drifting into this board from WH it is coming from posters like GRR and you who just can't be satisfied with a honest debate.  

I am not going to "chill" about dishonest posters.    If that is what you expect it would be best that you choose not to engage with me.

Your silence as the Republicans passed their massive, deficit & debt explosion of a tax cuts during the G Bush & D Trump administrations was clearly seen.  You appear to be actively against debt and deficits only when Democratic Presidents are in office.  You should have been screaming on Wells during Bush and Trump to toss them and all the Republicans out of office because of their debt busting ways but you were not.

To the point of this thread -

Stagflation wasn't really what people make it out to have been, as the data I have been posting shows.  Higher inflation, but much higher GDP growth (stagflation is high inflation with low GDP growth, which only happened for 2 years, 1974/75)

And, even if you just want to talk about inflation, looking at a one time bump back in the spring of 2021, and the year to year numbers are higher due to the 2020 CPI numbers being below the trend for those months, and panicking like you are is silly as is comparing 9 months of performance to 4 or 8 years.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 17:22

RQA wrote:

Calling others dishonest is so Trumpian..
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Mon 1 Nov 2021 - 22:26

TrapperGus wrote:
RQA wrote:

It is an outright LIE.   I argued against massive deficit spending no matter the political party of the president.   Sad that you choose to join GRR attributing views to me that I don't hold.

I am not going to "chill" about dishonest posters.    If that is what you expect it would be best that you choose not to engage with me.

Your silence as the Republicans passed their massive, deficit & debt explosion of a tax cuts during the G Bush & D Trump administrations was clearly seen.  You appear to be actively against debt and deficits only when Democratic Presidents are in office.  You should have been screaming on Wells during Bush and Trump to toss them and all the Republicans out of office because of their debt busting ways but you were not.

Continued lying about my posting history. Is that all you've got?

My position about deficit spending has been clear. No matter the party of the president and no matter how much the revenue, the feds will spend more than they take in. The only way to stop this is a balanced budget amendment.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Tue 2 Nov 2021 - 9:48

RQA wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Continued lying about my posting history.   Is that all you've got?

My position about deficit spending has been clear.   No matter the party of the president and no matter how much the revenue, the feds will spend more than they take in.    The only way to stop this is a balanced budget amendment.

All you have as a poster is provocational posting accusing others of what you yourself do.

You seldom engage in a rational discussion to support the positions you advocate.

The point about your posting style being made is that if you believed in your heart that the BBA was the most important policy then you would have attacked, with vigor, the Republican Tax Cut Bills, and conversely, you would support, with vigor, the times when the Democratic Bills have Paygo as the BBB does.

My opinion of the BBA as a concept is that it is fool's gold put forth by Conservatives to try to stop progress they don't like  in the country, much like a commodity based (gold) monetary system. It also lacks any economic understanding, especially about what money is and how a government should manage it.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 2 Nov 2021 - 12:58

I'll never forgive Biden for the last four budgets and corporate tax breaks he signed into law. Bastard.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy Tue 2 Nov 2021 - 17:17

Same people that predicted a stock market crash 2 months into Bidens presidency. Cool that seems to be going well.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus Thu 4 Nov 2021 - 9:49

The Delta variant’s impact on the economy is receding into the past — business activity surged in October, per a closely watched index.

Driving the news: The ISM Services PMI, an index that measures all nonmanufacturing activity, jumped by a record 4.8 points to a reading of 66.7 (also an all-time record high).

https://www.axios.com/business-activity-economy-delta-variant-effects-a4be74f4-0984-4428-aef5-8d801c032efe.html
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 9 Dec 2021 - 9:27

Supply side for businesses is flooded with money.

It’s been a record-shattering year for M&A.

And records may be broken again in 2022, Colin Wittmer, PwC’s U.S. deals leader, tells Axios.
The big picture: The market is still awash in capital available for acquisitions — from private equity funds, SPACs and corporate balance sheets — making for fierce competition and more expensive deals, according to a new 2022 outlook report published today by PwC.

https://www.axios.com/mergers-acquisitions-records-spac-c847bcc7-396c-42e6-aeab-cdcabbf8063e.html
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 9 Dec 2021 - 9:42

I love when people parrot the Fox News talking points that turn out to be complete trash.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Thu 9 Dec 2021 - 13:37

Motown Spartan wrote:I love when people parrot the Fox News talking points that turn out to be complete trash.

Inflation is a Fox News talking point?
Stagflation - looks like we have  it. 502811600
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 9 Dec 2021 - 13:39

RQA wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:I love when people parrot the Fox News talking points that turn out to be complete trash.

Inflation is a Fox News talking point?
Stagflation - looks like we have  it. 502811600

Yes and No.

We don't have general price inflation, we have price increases in energy, housing & durable goods, such as automobiles.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu 9 Dec 2021 - 14:12

The faux Christian schtick whose calls himself RQA here and Wells before it shut down loves the philandering thrice married real estate mogul who couldn’t make money owning casinos and whose 2017 Tax Act created huge deficits.

But Trump toadies want to put him back in The White House so he can get more Russian investment money
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

PennSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum