Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semi-automatic rifle ban passes Washington state Legislature

+11
Turtleneck
Jake from State Farm
kingstonlake
This Is The Way
sεяεηιτλ
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
duffy munn
NigelUno
TravelinMan
Trapper Gus
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Semi-automatic rifle ban passes Washington state Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: Semi-automatic rifle ban passes Washington state Legislature

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-20, 21:41

Motown Spartan wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Nearest police are 35 minutes away at best. Lots of bears, moose, and mountain lions.

Where do you live?

About 35 minutes up the hill from the police station.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Semi-automatic rifle ban passes Washington state Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: Semi-automatic rifle ban passes Washington state Legislature

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-20, 21:43

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Nearest police are 35 minutes away at best. Lots of bears, moose, and mountain lions.

A handgun isn't going to stop any of those.

I get the lack of protection, I live that every day, but a shot gun is the better protection.

Yeah, maybe. But it’s tough to fit a shotgun in my hiking backpack.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2023-04-20, 23:11

TravelinMan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Weird. Why would you think they got run off?

Because you guys run anyone off who disagrees with you. Duh!

Who got run off?

RQA - who is legendary for is disingenuous trolling?

Or 26 who is legendary for his phallic imagery (trolling)?

What possible value do either one of those individuals bring to any discussion?
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-20, 23:16

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Who got run off?

Diversity of opinion is never a bad thing.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2023-04-20, 23:26

TravelinMan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Who got run off?

They weren't giving opinions though, Trolling and phallic symbolism is not an opinion
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-20, 23:59

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Who got run off?

TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by This Is The Way 2023-04-21, 00:10

TravelinMan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:

Who got run off?

False
This Is The Way
This Is The Way
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-21, 09:45

This Is The Way wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

False

Well, you’re in the right place then. You’re gonna love it here.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-21, 09:46

This Is The Way wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

False

A tolerant society can accept many opinions, but there is one it cannot accept if it is to survive.

That one is the questioning of if a tolerant society is a good idea.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-21, 09:50

TravelinMan wrote:
This Is The Way wrote:

False

Well, you’re in the right place then.  You’re gonna love it here.

TM, I will apologize for some of the pointed questioning around having a permit for a concealed gun.

You have every right to have one, and furthermore you need no justification at all to exercise that right.

Sometimes I get carried away with the logical arguments and ignore the greater argument of "the good", so sorry about that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-21, 10:09

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Well, you’re in the right place then.  You’re gonna love it here.

TM, I will apologize for some of the pointed questioning around having a permit for a concealed gun.

You have every right to have one, and furthermore you need no justification at all to exercise that right.

Sometimes I get carried away with the logical arguments and ignore the greater argument of "the good", so sorry about that.

It’s all good. I know we don’t agree on everything, but you seem like a good egg. I’d definitely have a drink with you.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-21, 10:54

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

At least you see the conflicting results.  Some Libertarians are dogmatic.

The issue I see with all levels of government is political and outright corruption.  

Political corruption being the government favoring one group over another, instead of treating all equally, which is sort of a fact of politics and mostly unavoidable.  

Outright corruption, where politicians are bought by various forms of power & money also is muchly unavoidable, but at least in some sense it once could be outlawed, until the Supreme Court itself was corrupted.

History shows me that the federal government is more likely to be less corrupt than state or local governments simply because it can be more idealistic without pushback by the powerful, because the powerful have to have more power to push back with at that level.

State and local governments is some parts of the country to a great extent, and in all of the country to a lesser extent, as just cheaper for the powerful to corrupt.

However, since we have allowed the wealthy to become powerful enough to be able to too easily corrupt the federal government and the courts have declared "open season" on buying off politicians we are basically fucked.

This influence of money is why I support really high taxes on higher incomes & wealth, simply to reduce the amount of power a small group of people can use to influence governments.  It is also why I rail against corporations, which are just entities that wealthy people hide behind and use to exert political influence.

That’s a decent point.

But is the problem that we let people get rich, or is the problem that we elect corruptible dirtbags for politicians?

Both.

Being a corruptible dirtbag is pretty much the basic definition of being a politician, which btw imo, is a really hard job, as somehow the people who do it have to not piss off so many people that they are not elected again.  Given that people like to be pissed off about trivialities that is not easy to do.  Thus, it is a given that we will have more corruptible dirtbags than not in our elected offices.

As for wealthy people with power, those don't go away with programs to limit their wealth, aka in my earlier post, taxes, though there are years of possible discussions on this topic.  The goal is to limit the number of people who control huge wealth so that they are limited in their ability to buy the corruptible dirt bag politicians.  Right now, sadly, we have an entire political party that is totally owned by wealthy people and parts of the other party is too.

With the absolute power the Supreme Court has and the de facto ownership of it by these wealthy people we are totally fucked.  A voter revolution against this situation is all I can see as a solution and even if the voters elected a super majority of Democratic representatives the chances of this super majority making some basic changes to the Constitution, since that would be needed to overturn some of the fucked-up rulings from the Supreme Court, are pretty slim.

All is not lost, as ever the eternal optimist says, but we will struggle along as we have been doing, and maybe a Democratic sweep in 2024 (unlikely, given the Senate map) will bring in enough Senators to pass a basic voter's rights bill to eliminate gerrymandering in the federal districts in the states, and to define some more inclusive voter qualification rules for said voting.

edit - Right now the political battle in Washington is the Republicans trying to tank the economy and blame it on the Democratics while the Democratics are trying to stop them from doing that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-04-21, 11:59

We live closer to a police station than TM, but my daughter and I do a lot of hiking and biking into very very off the grid locations and see all sorts of wildlife while doing so. We carry a GPS/Communicator with us for emergency purposes but I would never in a million years feel like carrying a gun would make us any safer.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-21, 14:49

Motown Spartan wrote:We live closer to a police station than TM, but my daughter and I do a lot of hiking and biking into very very off the grid locations and see all sorts of wildlife while doing so. We carry a GPS/Communicator with us for emergency purposes but I would never in a million years feel like carrying a gun would make us any safer.

Wolf bait!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

TravelinMan and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-04-21, 18:00

kingstonlake wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:We live closer to a police station than TM, but my daughter and I do a lot of hiking and biking into very very off the grid locations and see all sorts of wildlife while doing so. We carry a GPS/Communicator with us for emergency purposes but I would never in a million years feel like carrying a gun would make us any safer.

Wolf bait!

Wolves hunt in packs and surround their prey. I don’t believe there is a gun that shoots 360 degrees.

Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-21, 18:40

Motown Spartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Wolf bait!

Wolves hunt in packs and surround their prey. I don’t believe there is a gun that shoots 360 degrees.

I've always wondered how many wolves have seen me. I've seen 1.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-04-21, 19:12

kingstonlake wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I've always wondered how many wolves have seen me. I've seen 1.

The answer is definitely more than 1.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-22, 08:07

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Just trying to find something to relate to your situation, dude.

So exactly when and why do you feel you need a cpa gun?

And yes, this is an honest question, as I said I cannot see a situation like that in my life.

How many times have you used a gun when encountering "lots" of bears, moose, and mountain lions?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-22, 08:19

https://apnews.com/article/bear-attack-connecticut-woman-943fa3d2ea9407f2593ff047a42b5e94

A 74-year-old Connecticut woman suffered bites to her arms and legs Friday when she was attacked by a black bear while out walking her dog on a leash in a Hartford suburb, state environmental officials said.

https://survivallife.com/gun-for-bear-hunting/#:~:text=Here%E2%80%99s%20A%20List%201%201.%20S%26W%20500%20The,...%205%205.%20Remington%20870%20%2812%20gauge%29%20

It is going to he hard to conceal this one from the bears.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-04-22, 09:09

Trapper Gus wrote:https://apnews.com/article/bear-attack-connecticut-woman-943fa3d2ea9407f2593ff047a42b5e94

A 74-year-old Connecticut woman suffered bites to her arms and legs Friday when she was attacked by a black bear while out walking her dog on a leash in a Hartford suburb, state environmental officials said.

https://survivallife.com/gun-for-bear-hunting/#:~:text=Here%E2%80%99s%20A%20List%201%201.%20S%26W%20500%20The,...%205%205.%20Remington%20870%20%2812%20gauge%29%20

It is going to he hard to conceal this one from the bears.

Looks like it's powerful enough to even take out those scary Bud Light cans.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-22, 11:31

NigelUno wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

How many times have you used a gun when encountering "lots" of bears, moose, and mountain lions?

Once.

I’ve NEVER used my fire extinguisher but I’m keeping that around, too.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-04-22, 11:38

TravelinMan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Once.

Nice false equivalency but after all, you are the resident “conservative”.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-22, 11:40

Is this another anti-freedom thread? Probably.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-22, 11:52

TravelinMan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Once.

And...you used your gun to make a loud noise, or to actually shoot at a bear, moose, or mountain lion?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-22, 12:09

NigelUno wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Once.

And...you used your gun to make a loud noise, or to actually shoot at a bear, moose, or mountain lion?

Loud noise.

I guess I could have used a grenade, but you know,, ever since the pandemic and the Democrats took over, the price of grenades are just through the roof!
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-04-22, 12:16

TravelinMan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Loud noise.

I guess I could have used a grenade, but you know,, ever since the pandemic and the Democrats took over, the price of grenades are just through the roof!

Damn democrats are the reason I can’t enrich uranium in my basement!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-22, 12:20

TravelinMan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Loud noise.

That's a shame. An Air Horn would probably work, or some of those Bang Pops. Not sure if Dems raised the prices on those too.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-22, 12:30

NigelUno wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Loud noise.

That's a shame. An Air Horn would probably work, or some of those Bang Pops. Not sure if Dems raised the prices on those too.

I’ll be sure to get you an air horn when you come and visit.

You’ll be fine. Totally fine.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-04-22, 12:58

TravelinMan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I’ll be sure to get you an air horn when you come and visit.

You’ll be fine. Totally fine.

Why would I not be? You've made a loud noise once when encountering "lots" of bears, moose, and mountain lions.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-22, 13:07

I took the COVID vaccine. Even though statistically.......
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-04-22, 13:13

kingstonlake wrote:I took the COVID vaccine. Even though statistically.......

… you have a small penis and/or are compensating for your own inadequacy? Oh wait, that’s guns.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-22, 13:29

Motown Spartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I took the COVID vaccine. Even though statistically.......

… you have a small penis and/or are compensating for your own inadequacy? Oh wait, that’s guns.

Lol. There are definitely places in this country where you'd be an idiot not to carry a side arm in the wild. Especially if you frequent them often, or live within. This is where anti gun nuts lose me. I'm 100% in agreement we need a massive overhaul in gun laws and access. But there are certainty instances, especially in the wild where questioning someone carrying is ridiculous.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-22, 13:39

I was about eight or nine years old, was up at my grandpa’s cottage on James lake just a little bit outside of iron river. My grandpa had us, for what we called “a walk out in the woods” at the time, now everybody calls it hiking, we came across a bear, my grandpa told my brother and I to get behind him, and I remember him screaming, holding his arms up in the air and screaming. I also remember the bear running.

I don’t know if that was smart or not,  And even though my memory is foggy, I don’t think I was very scared if I was at all. In my mind’s eye,  the bear was 10 feet away, but it was probably 30 yards or so. I do recall when we would go for our walks  out there from that point on he was carrying his handgun.

I can’t sit here and say screaming at a bear helps you, it’s probably just the opposite. But in this case it scared the bear.   In my 20s when I would go up to iron River, I never asked him if he was afraid that day. It’s still a family story that my brother and I tell, I wish I would have known if he was scared or if he did that because he knew that would help. I’m pretty sure my version of the story changes, you can kind of remember events when you’re that age, but really not specifics.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-22, 14:03

kingstonlake wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

Lol. There are definitely places in this country where you'd be an idiot not to carry a side arm in the wild. Especially if you frequent them often, or live within. This is where anti gun nuts lose me. I'm 100% in agreement we need a massive overhaul in gun laws and access. But there are certainty instances, especially in the wild where questioning someone carrying is ridiculous.

Oh come on.  Despite those people never living in my community, never hiking my trails, or never having a mountain lion in their driveway or a  protective mamma moose in their backyard…. They KNOW BETTER than you and I.  Just wave your arms.  Yell.  Have a grandfather with you.  It’s so simple.  We’re the idiots.

I should just disarm myself, move to the big city, and get an EV.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-22, 14:17

TravelinMan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Oh come on.  Despite those people never living in my community, never hiking my trails, or never having a mountain lion in their driveway or a  protective mamma moose in their backyard…. They KNOW BETTER than you and I.  Just wave your arms.  Yell.  Have a grandfather with you.  It’s so simple.  We’re the idiots.

Reminds me of a time we were leaving for a weekend up north. I was trying to get the cat indoors. He didn't want to go. Finally caught him and he went ape shit. I literally could not defend myself. Lol
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-22, 14:44

Incountering a black bear your grandfather did the right thing, which is to make yourself look as threatening as possible, but do not move toward the bear, and make a loud noise. Not sure what you do for brown bears or grizzlies.

My dad was out in the woods with only a geologist hammer when he came across a black bear and just yelled at it until it went elsewhere.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-22, 15:06

kingstonlake wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Reminds me of a time we were leaving for a weekend up north. I was trying to get the cat indoors. He didn't want to go. Finally caught him and he went ape shit. I literally could not defend myself. Lol

Like Izzo says. “P….. er, Cats are undefeated “
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-22, 15:42

Trapper Gus wrote:Incountering a black bear your grandfather did the right thing, which is to make yourself look as threatening as possible, but do not move toward the bear, and make a loud noise. Not sure what you do for brown bears or grizzlies.

My dad was out in the woods with only a geologist hammer when he came across a black bear and just yelled at it until it went elsewhere.

I'm guessing being unarmed isn't ideal.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-22, 16:06

kingstonlake wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Incountering a black bear your grandfather did the right thing, which is to make yourself look as threatening as possible, but do not move toward the bear, and make a loud noise.  Not sure what you do for brown bears or grizzlies.

I'm guessing being unarmed isn't ideal.

Thing is if is a handgun you will need the I one posted.  Even against a person you will need serious fire power, or several hits, to slow a bear, moose or wolf down more yet is needed, so I have heard.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-22, 17:06

Varying degrees of success and failure.

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next