Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread

+6
Pervis Muldoon
Turtleneck
Nordic
Heat Miser
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
10 posters

Go down

tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread Empty tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread

Post by tGreenWay Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:45 pm

45 years ago today: Patti Smith punched Ted Nugent live on Detroit radio’s WABX, and it was all recorded.
Turns out Ted was being his typical douchey self, including using a homophobic word that was a slur even 45 years ago.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ted-nugent-patti-smith-fight/

Mods: I debated if this should’ve gone in tBin, feel free to move it if you want.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson, Pervis Muldoon, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread Empty Re: tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:40 pm

Born on this day (June 18, 1942), Carl Radle, bassist with Derek and the Dominos, who had the 1972 UK No.7 single 'Layla'. He died of kidney failure June 30th 1980, aged 38. Also worked with George Harrison and Delaney And Bonnie

I had heard the name Carl Radle before, from his work with George Harrison. I didn't know he also was an associate of Clapton and was bassist in Gary and the Playboys.

What caught my eye was cause and age of his death. I mean, damn, kidney failure at 38? That's an ocean of alcohol. tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 2267303065 tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 2267303065
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread Empty Re: tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread

Post by Heat Miser Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:48 pm

The glory days of Detroit radio. WABX, WRIF, & W4.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

The Pantry, tGreenWay and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:25 pm

Heat Miser wrote:The glory days of Detroit radio. WABX, WRIF, & W4.

I got to know the program director, Paul Christy, after the heyday of WABX. Nice guy (RIP). I can’t recall specifically, but I thought he obtained the rights to the call letters after the station changed formats. I just took a peek and it’s now a station in Evansville. Probably were reassigned after Paul’s death. Too bad. Those calls belong in Detroit.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:52 pm

What an excellent thread tGreenway.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:05 pm

Nordic wrote:What an excellent thread tGreenway.

Considering my Big Ben and pre-cheesed taco threads, I know my Swill brothers and sisters expect highest-quality threads from me. This will suit them.

tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 1494614055 Highest quality threads… suit them… tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:04 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:What an excellent thread tGreenway.

Considering my Big Ben and pre-cheesed taco threads, I know my Swill brothers and sisters expect highest-quality threads from me. This will suit them.

tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 1494614055 Highest quality threads… suit them… tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 502811600

Don't forget your multiverse thread or whatever the fuck that was.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:26 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Don't forget your multiverse thread or whatever the fuck that was.

Turns out philistines like you weren’t ready for a thread involving the multiverse.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:20 am

Brian Wilson turns 81 today.

a genuine musical genius, but has also led a somewhat tortured life with regard to mental health and personal/family issues.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:18 am

I guess this falls under the category of recent history but on Sunday night some knucklehead chucks a phone at Bebe whoever during her concert and she gets a black eye. Because he thinks it would be funny. Must have been using a Cricket phone because who the hell is air-mailing their $1000 iPhone or Galaxy Sxx?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:37 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:I guess this falls under the category of recent history but on Sunday night some knucklehead chucks a phone at Bebe whoever during her concert and she gets a black eye. Because he thinks it would be funny. Must have been using a Cricket phone because who the hell is air-mailing their $1000 iPhone or Galaxy Sxx?

Video of the flying Cricket and a pic of the accused. He looks like you’d expect.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/fan-who-threw-phone-at-bebe-rexha-during-nyc-concert-reveals-reason/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:46 am

Happy Birthday to Kris Kristofferson.

jesus, what a fucking bad ass he is.. played college football, track and field.. was a boxer. Went on to Oxford University as a Rhode's Scholar. After that, got bored, joined the US Army. Became a captain in the United States Army.. graduated from Army Ranger school.. was a helicopter pilot. Became a songwriter and an actor.  Won a Grammy, a Golden Globe, and was nominated for an Oscar.

even I couldn't make this up. tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:43 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Happy Birthday to Kris Kristofferson.

jesus, what a fucking bad ass he is.. played college football, track and field.. was a boxer. Went on to Oxford University as a Rhode's Scholar. After that, got bored, joined the US Army. Became a captain in the United States Army.. graduated from Army Ranger school.. was a helicopter pilot. Became a songwriter and an actor.  Won a Grammy, a Golden Globe, and was nominated for an Oscar.

even I couldn't make this up. tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 502811600

Seems like I knew about his Rhodes scholarship but forget a long time ago. The guy is the very definition of Renaissance man.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:18 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

Seems like I knew about his Rhodes scholarship but forget a long time ago. The guy is the very definition of Renaissance man.
he really is. His bio is mind-boggling.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:55 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

He's kind of like Ted Nugent except better at everything and not a douche.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:00 pm

And wrote an anthem song for Janus Joplin: Me and Bobby McGee.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:41 am

the "Born To Run" album turns 48 years old today. Man, this record (along with Darkness and The River) is like a best friend.

if you wanna see a grown man cry, this version of "Backstreets" from the current tour, given the themes of recent records, has evolved from a youthful, idealistic story of romanticism in the 70's to a elegiac remembrance of those we've lost in 2023.

the '23 tour, he plays "Last Man Standing" - an ode to being the last living member of his first band and it goes right into "Backstreets". Before "Last Man Standing" he talks of all of the "hellos" we have when we're younger and how the older we get, there are a lot fewer "hellos" and a lot more "goodbyes".

and if anyone is familiar with the "Backstreets" interludes from the '70s, especially on the Darkness tour, how much it evolved into his current interlude is nothing short of stunning.

my sweet kid held my hand as I practically sobbed in Detroit. No  tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 502811600  

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartytruth Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:16 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Born on this day (June 18, 1942), Carl Radle, bassist with Derek and the Dominos, who had the 1972 UK No.7 single 'Layla'. He died of kidney failure June 30th 1980, aged 38. Also worked with George Harrison and Delaney And Bonnie

I had heard the name Carl Radle before, from his work with George Harrison. I didn't know he also was an associate of Clapton and was bassist in Gary and the Playboys.

What caught my eye was cause and age of his death. I mean, damn, kidney failure at 38? That's an ocean of alcohol. tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 2267303065 tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 2267303065

Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, Eric Clapton and Duane Allman were Derek and The Domonies.
Spartytruth
Spartytruth
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartytruth Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:23 am

tGreenWay wrote:45 years ago today: Patti Smith punched Ted Nugent live on Detroit radio’s WABX, and it was all recorded.
Turns out Ted was being his typical douchey self, including using a homophobic word that was a slur even 45 years ago.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ted-nugent-patti-smith-fight/

Mods: I debated if this should’ve gone in tBin, feel free to move it if you want.

He is such a pussy.
Spartytruth
Spartytruth
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:53 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:the "Born To Run" album turns 48 years old today. Man, this record (along with Darkness and The River) is like a best friend.

if you wanna see a grown man cry, this version of "Backstreets" from the current tour, given the themes of recent records, has evolved from a youthful, idealistic story of romanticism in the 70's to a elegiac remembrance of those we've lost in 2023.

the '23 tour, he plays "Last Man Standing" - an ode to being the last living member of his first band and it goes right into "Backstreets". Before "Last Man Standing" he talks of all of the "hellos" we have when we're younger and how the older we get, there are a lot fewer "hellos" and a lot more "goodbyes".

and if anyone is familiar with the "Backstreets" interludes from the '70s, especially on the Darkness tour, how much it evolved into his current interlude is nothing short of stunning.

my sweet kid held my hand as I practically sobbed in Detroit. No  tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread 502811600  

What was his first band and who were in it? (I had a roommate from NJ who he asked to be in his band)
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:12 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the "Born To Run" album turns 48 years old today. Man, this record (along with Darkness and The River) is like a best friend.

What was his first band and who were in it?  (I had a roommate from NJ who he asked to be in his band)
The Castilles was his first band. I believe Bruce was 15. The story in "Last Man Standing" is about George Theiss.

here's the lead in and the song.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:35 pm

"Greetings From Asbury Park" was relased 51 years ago today. Bruce's debut album. My top tracks are probably "Lost In The Flood", "Growin' Up" and "For You".

my man with the look of a father holding their first child.

tOfficial tSwill Today in Rock-n-Roll History thread Greeti11
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:22 pm

February 3, 1959, American rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson were all killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with pilot Roger Peterson.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:04 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:February 3, 1959, American rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson were all killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with pilot Roger Peterson.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 pm

Randy Rhoads died 42 years ago today.

yikes - how is it even possible that that was 42 years ago.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Randy Rhoads died 42 years ago today.

yikes - how is it even possible that that was 42 years ago.

Cum on, has it really been that long?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 pm

This is a local name worth recognizing:
James Herbert, age 83. He co-founded Neogen in Lansing in 1982. He and his wife donated millions of dollars to Sparrow Hospital and other Lansing-area charities. The Herbert’s were also donors to MSU women’s basketball.

James Herbert, prominent Lansing businessman and philanthropist, dies at 83

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2024/03/19/james-herbert-lansing-businessman-philanthropist-obituary/73030195007/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down