Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins

+5
AvgMSUJoe
TravelinMan
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
9 posters

Go down

The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins Empty The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-20, 09:47

While nearly everyone involved in Michigan politics is focused on the upcoming presidential election, some hints of what could be to come in 2026, when the state will have an open governor’s race as Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is term-limited, have started to show.

Genesee County Sheriff Chris Swanson briefly entertained the idea of running for governor in 2022 after he made national headlines the year prior for joining Black Lives Matter demonstrators in Flint.

U.S. Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Flint), who has been floated as a potential candidate for governor in previous election years and had expressed some interest in the role, closed the door on seeking the state’s highest office, even though he is leaving Congress at the end of his current term.

Democratic Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson has hinted at a 2026 gubernatorial run and Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan is widely expected to jump in, as well. Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist, state Sen. Mallory McMorrow (D-Royal Oak), U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and Senate Majority Leader Winnie Brinks (D-Grand Rapids) have also been mentioned as potential candidates.

The Republican field seems wide open, but unsuccessful 2022 gubernatorial candidates like businessman Perry Johnson, who launched a failed 2024 presidential campaign, right-wing commentator Tudor Dixon and businessman Kevin Rinke could run again.

https://michiganadvance.com/2024/02/20/swanson-absolutely-foresees-2026-bid-for-governor-while-kildee-rules-out-run/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins Empty Re: The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins

Post by TravelinMan 2024-02-20, 10:05

I'm a huge Swanson fan.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins Empty Re: The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-20, 10:16

Mallory McMorrow would be an amazing candidate.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-02-20, 10:24

I’ve seen billboards around that say “governor whitmore is for potholes”. I realize it’s silly that’s not what I am mentioning it for. I’m curious as to which right wing fever dream “whitmore” comes from. Is it saying more taxes? Is anyone supposed to understand this that hasn’t put themselves on a steady drip of right wing propaganda?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-20, 10:42

I’d love Buttigieg in 2026 for two years to see his administration ability up close, than as a presidential candidate in 2028.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-20, 10:49

DWags wrote:I’d love Buttigieg in 2026 for two years to see his administration ability up close, than as a presidential candidate in 2028.  

That would be a good move for him if he wants to be President someday, as a Govenor is as close as it gets to the big job.

That said, Whitmer in 2028.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-20, 15:38

TravelinMan wrote:I'm a huge Swanson fan.

Feels a bit "hack"... a TON of TV time that no other Sheriff gets (daily task force media updates)... the hair... country jelly facetat guy in the prison... feels like a pro politician.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-20, 15:44

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Feels a bit "hack"... a TON of TV time that no other Sheriff gets (daily task force media updates)... the hair... country jelly facetat guy in the prison... feels like a pro politician.

Not to mention going from sheriff to governor is a biiiiiigggg stretch.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-20, 15:48

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Never heard of him. So in the name of "I did my own research", I looked him up..

he looks like what would happen if Klanuary 6th collided with Mar-O-Lago at the intersection of Spray Tan and Hair Gel.

The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins Klanua10
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-02-20, 17:16

Floyd Robertson wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Not to mention going from sheriff to governor is a biiiiiigggg stretch.

Fair. But anyone that could keep Flint from burning during that time must have some skills.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-20, 17:33

I'm finding it hard to pinpoint anyone I would like to see running, so some comments about whose help they need.

On the Republician side they need the support of the DeVoss family and hanger ons. Last time, after the great qualification petition mess they supported Dixon, who flamed out.  She is a lightweight, politically, so not her.  Peter Meijer maybe?

On the Democratic side are there any power brokers at the level of the DeVoss crowd?  Some of the business owners in the Detriot Metro area, maybe.  As far as I know the Fords et al stay away from this sort of stuff.  I'm not personnal excited by any of the names in this article and don't see one of them with the connections that Whitmer had when she decided to run. Does Whitmer's endorsement matter much?

If someone can come up with a grand plan to find the revenue to fix the infrastructure I might be interested.  A use tax on vehicle miles definitely isn't a fair answer.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-20, 17:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Never heard of him. So in the name of "I did my own research", I looked him up..

he looks like what would happen if Klanuary 6th collided with Mar-O-Lago at the intersection of Spray Tan and Hair Gel.

The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins Img_7319
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-02-20, 17:46

Trapper Gus wrote:I'm finding it hard to pinpoint anyone I would like to see running, so some comments about whose help they need.

On the Republician side they need the support of the DeVoss family and hanger ons. Last time, after the great qualification petition mess they supported Dixon, who flamed out.  She is a lightweight, politically, so not her.  Peter Meijer maybe?

On the Democratic side are there any power brokers at the level of the DeVoss crowd?  Some of the business owners in the Detriot Metro area, maybe.  As far as I know the Fords et al stay away from this sort of stuff.  I'm not personnal excited by any of the names in this article and don't see one of them with the connections that Whitmer had when she decided to run. Does Whitmer's endorsement matter much?

If someone can come up with a grand plan to find the revenue to fix the infrastructure I might be interested.  A use tax on vehicle miles definitely isn't a fair answer.

I think a use tax is ultimately VERY fair, but I have no idea how you would enforce such a thing. Just way too many problems with that.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-20, 17:50

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:I'm finding it hard to pinpoint anyone I would like to see running, so some comments about whose help they need.

On the Democratic side are there any power brokers at the level of the DeVoss crowd?  Some of the business owners in the Detriot Metro area, maybe.  As far as I know the Fords et al stay away from this sort of stuff.  I'm not personnal excited by any of the names in this article and don't see one of them with the connections that Whitmer had when she decided to run.  Does Whitmer's endorsement matter much?

I think a use tax is ultimately VERY fair, but I have no idea how you would enforce such a thing.  Just way too many problems with that.

My issue with the user tax on milage is that the users of roads are far more people than those who drive on them.  Effectively, since transportation is the backbone of the economy, the users of the roads are everyone who benefits from the economy.  A general tax on economic activity is a better match for those who benefit from the roads.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-20, 18:51

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins Img_7319
The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins 502811600 The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins 502811600 The Race for Michigan Govenor in 2026 Begins 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-02-20, 21:28

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

I think a use tax is ultimately VERY fair, but I have no idea how you would enforce such a thing.  Just way too many problems with that.

My issue with the user tax on milage is that the users of roads are far more people than those who drive on them.  Effectively, since transportation is the backbone of the economy, the users of the roads are everyone who benefits from the economy.  A general tax on economic activity is a better match for those who benefit from the roads.

Well, yes, you have always believed in that "greater good for society" more than most. But one could argue (and I don't wish to, but it's just a thought) that property taxes cover a portion of those who benefit from the roads.

What Whitmer (or the next administration) needs is to fund the damage caused to the roads. And there's no more fair way to cover that than a use tax. But given that you've got out of state drivers, older vehicles that lack electronic tracking, vehicles that are driven out of state... there's no real way to enforce that. Unless you want to make every road a toll road. And no one wants to do that.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-20, 21:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

I doubt hes a bad guy, he just seems "planned"...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-20, 21:54

Country music's version of a dem... Lol.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-21, 09:53

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I doubt hes a bad guy, he just seems "planned"...
when it comes to politicians, especially orange ones with weird hair, I'm always skeptical until proven otherwise.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2024-02-21, 11:38

The Livingston County Sheriff just won some award for vowing to let children kill themselves with their parent's guns. He'll probably soon be running on that platform for state office and the 2nd Amendment nutcases will eat it right up.

Livingston County Sheriff awarded for not enforcing gun safety laws
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-02-21, 11:48

DWags wrote:I’d love Buttigieg in 2026 for two years to see his administration ability up close, than as a presidential candidate in 2028.

He's already the administrative chief of a large federal governmental organization. His administrative abilities are out there for all to see.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-21, 12:01

Jake from State Farm wrote:The Livingston County Sheriff just won some award for vowing to let children kill themselves with their parent's guns. He'll probably soon be running on that platform for state office and the 2nd Amendment nutcases will eat it right up.

Livingston County Sheriff awarded for not enforcing gun safety laws

Somehow there is a lawsuit in that for the family of the first person killed with a gun which was not stored as per the law.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down