Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Since people other than hipsters have rediscovered records, Hopefully all those bastards go this way...

+2
AvgMSUJoe
Rocinante
6 posters

Go down

Since people other than hipsters have rediscovered records, Hopefully all those bastards go this way... Empty Since people other than hipsters have rediscovered records, Hopefully all those bastards go this way...

Post by Rocinante 2014-09-29, 14:29

Tapes... Nope, not kidding.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Since people other than hipsters have rediscovered records, Hopefully all those bastards go this way... Empty Re: Since people other than hipsters have rediscovered records, Hopefully all those bastards go this way...

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-09-29, 14:36

huh... don't get it. (records either)

Both were a pain in the ass and the whole "listening experience" thing hipsters talk about is full of shit. The first time you scratch your favorite record and the thing is permanently fucked you realize what a waste it is. Tapes degraded over a couple hundred listenings... then the jams and having to pull it out wind it up, FFD and RWD a million times to straighten it... then it still didn't work right.

Nope, digital FTW.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Since people other than hipsters have rediscovered records, Hopefully all those bastards go this way... Empty Re: Since people other than hipsters have rediscovered records, Hopefully all those bastards go this way...

Post by Rocinante 2014-09-29, 14:41

I actually like records. I have a ton that I've kept in pretty good condition since I inherited a lot from my brothers and added to the collection throughout the 80s and 90s with garage sale additions. People were selling their records like they were going out of style back then (they were). And I had a great record player that I would make mix tapes on to listen to on my walkman or in my Mom's car. Anyway. I like them. And in the last 5 or so years they've gotten stupid expensive so.... fuck hipsters.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-09-29, 15:00

IMO a good remastered CD has the best sound.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-29, 15:02

I've got stacks and stacks of vinyl.. not sure I'll be picking up any cassettes or 8 tracks anytime soon, though.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-09-29, 15:25

I skipped the whole CD thing and stuck with vinyl until portable digital formats came out. Glad I did. A big record collection is a beautiful thing - everyone who comes to our house wants to look through it. Never happened with a CD rack. Can't give those shitty little things away now either.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-09-29, 15:30

Cym Jim wrote:I skipped the whole CD thing and stuck with vinyl until portable digital formats came out. Glad I did. A big record collection is a beautiful thing - everyone who comes to our house wants to look through it. Never happened with a CD rack. Can't give those shitty little things away now either.

I guess I'm in luck then. I used to pick up vinyl when people were dumping it at blow out prices, I guess I can do the same now with CD's. They will come back some day.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-09-29, 16:28

"Though I’m not yet 30, I can recall my very first cassette (Red Hot Chili Peppers’ much-maligned One Hot Minute) far more easily than I can name my first CD or MP3 or Spotify stream."

Weird, because I'm 38 and I can recall:
My first vinyl record purchase (Van Halen, Panama 45)
My first cassette purchase (Beastie Boys, License to Ill)
My first CD purchase (INXS, Kick)

I also remember the last cassette I ever bought, Guns and Roses, Use Your Illusion I/II. I had pre-ordered that shit at Record Town and wanted tapes so I could listen to it in my room, and not in the living room on my dads stereo. My parents bought me my own CD player for Christmas just a few months later and I ended up

By the way, One Hot Minute came out in 1995. I had a cheap portable CD player in like 1992 and I'm surprised that anyone that age would still be buying cassettes in 1995.

I think the author might be stretching for some cassette nostalgia that didn't really exist at that time.
Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down