Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOR FUCKS SAKE. THE Dave Warnerfication OF AMERICA CONTINUES

+19
tGreenWay
SawGreen
Bill Cain
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
Cym Jim
Brock Middlebrook
CORNER BLITZ
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
StylesGShmooth
Nommad2
AvgMSUJoe
HT
75alum
Code_Warrior
Floyd Robertson
DWags
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

FOR FUCKS SAKE.  THE Dave Warnerfication OF AMERICA CONTINUES - Page 2 Empty Re: FOR FUCKS SAKE. THE Dave Warnerfication OF AMERICA CONTINUES

Post by DWags 2019-11-02, 19:56

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

And why do we associate boorish behavior with a slang word for the male anatomy?

Because some people are dicks, and some people are pussies, and some people are both, that's why.

I don't really see men being historically situated in the same way as women. And although Dick is used as a pejorative term referencing male anatomy, it's also the diminutive of Richard. The same is not true for the other word. But I totally get it. For many men, their ego and self-worth depends on degrading and minimizing women.

But if you call a guy a dick I don’t think you’re degrading women. If you call a woman a dick I don’t think you’re mentally stable so it’s not worth arguing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

FOR FUCKS SAKE.  THE Dave Warnerfication OF AMERICA CONTINUES - Page 2 Empty Re: FOR FUCKS SAKE. THE Dave Warnerfication OF AMERICA CONTINUES

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-02, 20:52

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I don't really see men being historically situated in the same way as women. And although Dick is used as a pejorative term referencing male anatomy, it's also the diminutive of Richard. The same is not true for the other word. But I totally get it. For many men, their ego and self-worth depends on degrading and minimizing women.

But if you call a guy a dick I don’t think you’re degrading women. If you call a woman a dick I don’t think you’re mentally stable so it’s not worth arguing.

That might be changing, DWags. In the past couple of years, Ive noticed quite a few women in the under age 40 group on social media, including those with decent size audiences and some well known comedians/humorists, have co-opted use of the terms dick and balls. And they’ll use both words whether describing men or women. I actually found it funny. Where I was really surprised was when I heard a woman host of a very popular podcast call another woman a c-unt. It wasn’t a word she used often, but at least occasionally. My guess is she’s trying to take back the power in the word, but at the same time go for shock and laughs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-11-02, 23:20

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

And why do we associate boorish behavior with a slang word for the male anatomy?

Because some people are dicks, and some people are pussies, and some people are both, that's why.

If you want to see everything through the lens of grievance politics, that's your business.

If the shoe fits, call it a pussy. Language evolves naturally, or at least it has done so up to now. I recognize that there are now some (many?) who would like to play language eugenics, but it all seems very frivolous to me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-11-02, 23:34

For the record, penis is an underused insult. Calling someone a penis is almost always hilarious.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2019-11-03, 00:31

It's been fun, but a majority of the discussion stemmed from an assumption that the association of "pussy" with weakness, was founded on the female anatomy. Pussy, in referring to a vagina, is likely the latest use of the word in popular use.

In other words... pussy, wussy, pusillanimous, pussycat, pussyfoot, etc may have some connotation with traits of the feminine and are derogatory, but I don't think their origin stems from anatomy.

Carry on though.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-11-03, 07:30

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

If you want to see everything through the lens of grievance politics, that's your business.

If the shoe fits, call it a pussy. Language evolves naturally, or at least it has done so up to now. I recognize that there are now some (many?) who would like to play language eugenics, but it all seems very frivolous to me.

It's not grievance politics as much as respect.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-11-03, 07:33

pusillanimous

Shit, I'm kinda in a tough spot now. This is a good word. It's rarely used.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-11-03, 08:06

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

It's not grievance politics as much as respect.

If you're asserting that using pussy as an insult is disrespectful to women, but using dick as an insult is not disrespectful to men, it can only be based on some sort of grievance that women have against men, no? Namely, that men have historically oppressed women. If you're using some other rationale, please elucidate it.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-11-03, 09:35

Instead of worrying about which derogatory word is more derogatory, let's all FOR FUCKS SAKE.  THE Dave Warnerfication OF AMERICA CONTINUES - Page 2 685334576 Sing it with me!

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2019-11-03, 09:54

Turtleneck wrote:
pusillanimous

WAGS CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE TO PUSILLANIMIS.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-03, 13:56

SawGreen wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Within the thread title, the correct word would be pusillanimity.

Or pusillanimification.

Or pusillanimifying.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-11-03, 14:50

Live in strange times.  

My HS coaches would have been even more unintelligible if every word considered to be a profanity along with phrases incorporating God, Jesus and/or Christ had been out of their practice vocabularies.

A couple of the coaches would regularly use Jesus "F**kin' Christ several times per practice.  A trifecta of inappropriate phrases.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2019-11-03, 15:58; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-03, 14:59

One of our ninth grade assistant football coaches called us candy asses. First time we heard that, we all burst out laughing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-11-03, 21:58

tGreenWay wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Or pusillanimification.

Or pusillanimifying.

I’m having a hard time pronouncing this. Can someone do it phonetically for me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-11-03, 23:25

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Or pusillanimification.

Or pusillanimifying.

I’m having a hard time pronouncing this. Can someone do it phonetically for me.

Pyoo sill ah nim ih tee

Pyoo sill ah nim ih fah kay shun

Pyoo sill ah nim ih fy ing
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2