Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving?

+15
Turtleneck
steveschneider
Heat Miser
Jake from State Farm
Green Note
beal99
Rodeo Burger
Floyd Robertson
The_Dude
Ass Dan
InTenSity
Watch Out Pylon!
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
19 posters

Go down

Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? Empty Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving?

Post by InTenSity Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 10:42

I'm looking forward to a long weekend, its been a while since I've used any vacation time, and could just use a few days break. Hopefully I don't have to be on the phone all day on Friday. I plan on going to the inlaws. I hope they have football on, I'd like to watch Lions and Bears, not sure who else is playing that day. TCU and Texas are playing.

I'd like to go golfing, but will probably only go on Saturday, even though I could go every day, if I had the chance.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? Empty Re: Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 10:47

gonna get in some good running. Thankfully the warmer temps this past weekend, combined with the rain, melted some snow and ice on the trails.. will likely be a bit cold to get out on the bike.. though Saturday is a possibility.

other than that, some drinking.. good tunes cranked up. Living 700+ miles away from family simply means that I don't feel pressured to hang out with people I don't want to hang out with. Nothing wrong with that.. Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? 502811600

Happy Thanksgiving!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? Empty Re: Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 12:22

A lot of studying and homework. A lot of drinking. A lot of sports.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:23

I am going to start my tomato garden.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:27

Headed down to Louisville tomorrow. Woodford Reserve will be consumed.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:31

NigelUno wrote:I am going to start my tomato garden.
I won't need them in 90 days!
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:31

Gonna get drunk on cheap chardonnay and eat solid food for the first time in a week (wisdom teeth)
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:36

InTenSity wrote:
I won't need them in 90 days!

The tomato famine will be over by then? What should I plant?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:37

Drinking, eating, and watching football. Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? 3493939353
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:42

Eating, watching football and sleeping Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? 3493939353
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:44

Visiting parent on Thursday, along with other family who are coming in from out of town.

Spending Thursday night and Friday with a girl I me recently who can't be with her family for the holiday.

I suspect there will be lots of food, booze and football. Hoping for a snow storm because I have a new snow blower and won't be working much, if at all.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:46

NigelUno wrote:

The tomato famine will be over by then?  What should I plant?
Nothing. February and March are the months that Mexico floods the market with everything. If you time it right, maybe a few cukes.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 13:46

Wednesday - driving to MI from chicago in shitty traffic
Thursday - Sleep, Eat, Lions, Eat, Sleep.
Friday - Might go to the WMU game in the Zoo at 11 am, because fuck NIU
Saturday - Let the wife drag me around shopping while I listen to MSU on my phone.
Sunday - drive back to Chicago in shitty traffic
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 14:14

InTenSity wrote:
Nothing. February and March are the months that Mexico floods the market with everything. If you time it right, maybe a few cukes.

What's your take on Eva Longoria's tomato picker 1 cent thingee?

Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? Safe_image.php?d=AQDLYED_RSj_7f0j&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fupw-prod-images.global.ssl.fastly.net%2Fnugget%2F546e302d26714cd2dd00005b%2Ffacebook_1200_Eva-TN1-7eae22f391a67260c6be8b1e1085a2e7

Last edited by NigelUno on Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 14:18; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 14:16

beal99 wrote:Wednesday - driving to MI from chicago in shitty traffic
Thursday - Sleep, Eat, Lions, Eat, Sleep.
Friday - Might go to the WMU game in the Zoo at 11 am, because fuck NIU
Saturday - Let the wife drag me around shopping while I listen to MSU on my phone.
Sunday - drive back to Chicago in shitty traffic

Why the fuck are you shopping Saturday? Is this really what marriage brings?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 14:44

What's your take on Eva Longoria's tomato picker 1 cent thingee?
This will be another long, drawn out answer. 

An extra penny a pound doesn't sound like much, but in food service it ends up being a lot. I believe the size of the bucket is 33#, for rounds I forget what they get paid, but I think with the extra penny/lb, it is almost a 50% increase in pay. All of this sounds great, and the Florida growers are evil slave driving employers, or that is the narrative. I've been in this business for 7 years now and I've watched the Florida growers lose market share and cut back on acreage. 3 growers have gone bankrupt and left the business, that I know of. There are a couple more that are close to going under. Although the few companies that have 'agreed' to pay the extra penny a pound, most of the time it goes back on the grower. They have to be audited, and they have to hire extra accountants to track the money. In the end, it works out to $5-$7 more a day for the picker, maybe $20-$30 a week.

It is also closer to 1.5 cents/lb because the coalition needs their .5 cent/lb for 'administration' costs. Again, it is a noble cause, and under equal circumstances it could work.

If a picker in FL is making $60-$120/day, depending on how good they are, they are still making much better money than a picker in MX. Mexican pickers make about $10-$15/day, then they are charge $9-$12 a day for living expenses. There might be the plight of the picker in FL, but many will get housing provided by the grower. In Mexico, they are promised good work and a chance to help their families, until they arrive at the ranches. Most companies are moving towards using Mexican fruit over Florida fruit because it is cheaper, and a lot of times the quality is better. 

For all the people that are fighting for the rights of the US picker, they may not have to do so for a long time, as many of the companies could go bankrupt, or move on to different crops in the near future.

Working conditions in Mexico

Not sure if I answered the question. I know most people don't care, hell most people aren't even sure where their food comes from. I'll answer questions though, as I understand them.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 14:44

Perhaps join in some looting for justice. Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? 4198636888
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 14:51

InTenSity wrote:

An extra penny a pound doesn't sound like much, but in food service it ends up being a lot. I believe the size of the bucket is 33#, for rounds I forget what they get paid, but I think with the extra penny/lb, it is almost a 50% increase in pay. All of this sounds great, and the Florida growers are evil slave driving employers, or that is the narrative. I've been in this business for 7 years now and I've watched the Florida growers lose market share and cut back on acreage. 3 growers have gone bankrupt and left the business, that I know of. There are a couple more that are close to going under. Although the few companies that have 'agreed' to pay the extra penny a pound, most of the time it goes back on the grower. They have to be audited, and they have to hire extra accountants to track the money. In the end, it works out to $5-$7 more a day for the picker, maybe $20-$30 a week.

It is also closer to 1.5 cents/lb because the coalition needs their .5 cent/lb for 'administration' costs. Again, it is a noble cause, and under equal circumstances it could work.

If a picker in FL is making $60-$120/day, depending on how good they are, they are still making much better money than a picker in MX. Mexican pickers make about $10-$15/day, then they are charge $9-$12 a day for living expenses. There might be the plight of the picker in FL, but many will get housing provided by the grower. In Mexico, they are promised good work and a chance to help their families, until they arrive at the ranches. Most companies are moving towards using Mexican fruit over Florida fruit because it is cheaper, and a lot of times the quality is better. 

For all the people that are fighting for the rights of the US picker, they may not have to do so for a long time, as many of the companies could go bankrupt, or move on to different crops in the near future.

Not sure if I answered the question. I know most people don't care, hell most people aren't even sure where their food comes from. I'll answer questions though, as I understand them.

Meanwhile in America, workers complain because they aren't making $20/hour flipping burgers.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 15:17

InTenSity wrote:

I saw her on HBO one night talking about it. You're right about Mexico. If consumers can get cheaper tomatoes from there, then the Florida growers will go under. It amazes me how cheap Publix sells corn on the cob for, and practically year round.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 15:25

NigelUno wrote:

I saw her on HBO one night talking about it.  You're right about Mexico.  If consumers can get cheaper tomatoes from there, then the Florida growers will go under.  It amazes me how cheap Publix sells corn on the cob for, and practically year round.
That corn on the cob looks like wax and has no taste. I never buy it.

Consumers won't have a choice about the cheaper tomatoes, or products. The markup on fresh fruits and vegetables is amazing. I've seen tomatoes for sale in stores at $2.99/lb when you can buy them wholesale for $6.95 at the farm. Even with transportation, repacking costs and delivery to a store DC, at that price, someone should be able to deliver for about $12. Add another $2-3 for overhead for the grocer and the total cost is about $15. $0.60/lb, at a minimum they are making $2/lb profit, the savings are rarely passed on to the consumer.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 15:52

InTenSity wrote:
That corn on the cob looks like wax and has no taste. I never buy it.

Consumers won't have a choice about the cheaper tomatoes, or products. The markup on fresh fruits and vegetables is amazing. I've seen tomatoes for sale in stores at $2.99/lb when you can buy them wholesale for $6.95 at the farm. Even with transportation, repacking costs and delivery to a store DC, at that price, someone should be able to deliver for about $12. Add another $2-3 for overhead for the grocer and the total cost is about $15. $0.60/lb, at a minimum they are making $2/lb profit, the savings are rarely passed on to the consumer.

I always get the white corn. Never the yellow.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 15:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Why the fuck are you shopping Saturday? Is this really what marriage brings?

because no way in fuck am I shopping on black friday, actually my plans have changed, me and the old man and bro in law are going to watch MSU at some GR bar, mom, wife, sister,and babies are going shopping
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 16:01

beal99 wrote:

because no way in fuck am I shopping on black friday, actually my plans have changed, me and the old man and bro in law are going to watch MSU at some GR bar, mom, wife, sister,and babies are going shopping
Good, good.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 16:01

With the in-laws in Pigeon ****ing Forge at the Country Tonite show. Kill me now.PLEASE!
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 16:16

Green Note wrote:Perhaps join in some looting for justice. Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? 4198636888

Would anyone even notice if Detroit burned? Razz
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 16:17

Heat Miser wrote:With the in-laws in Pigeon ****ing Forge at the Country Tonite show. Kill me now.PLEASE!

Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? 294152859
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 16:22

I'll be Thankful if the Dude can avoid ruining this thread.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 16:55

Gonna move to Seattle because an uncle has a government phone.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 21:31

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Headed down to Louisville tomorrow. Woodford Reserve will be consumed.
Double Oak?
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 9:49

steveschneider wrote:I'll be Thankful if the Dude can avoid ruining this thread.

Too late, you just did.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 11:06

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Too late, you just did.

You are a homo.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 11:33

Prolly want to kill tWife, her family, randoms... ya know. Like every Txgvng
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 11:55

steveschneider wrote:I'll be Thankful if the Dude can avoid ruining this thread.

Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 12:16

beal99 wrote:because fuck NIU

Same to you, pal.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 16:08

steveschneider wrote:

You are a homo.

Ah, yes. Another compassionate hypocritical liberal using a gay slur.....
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 18:28

Snake Plissken wrote:
Double Oak?

Nah, just the standard stuff. Never had the Double Oak. Good stuff I'm assuming?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 22:33

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Ah, yes. Another compassionate hypocritical liberal using a gay slur.....

That is right you fruit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Thu 27 Nov 2014 - 11:00

Heat Miser wrote:With the in-laws in Pigeon ****ing Forge at the Country Tonite show. Kill me now.PLEASE!

Anyone doing anything for Thanksgiving? 1362440668
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down