Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route

+25
DWags
Turtleneck
msuspartan4eva
Clarett's Folly
MattyFresh
InTenSity
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
MiamiSpartan
duffy munn
Other Teams Pursuing That
Giant Moose
NigelUno
tGreenWay
The Pantry
HT
Death Roe
Snake Plissken
Herbie Green
Blanch32
beal99
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
LoneWolfSparty
The_Dude
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route - Page 3 Empty Re: I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-29, 20:56

MattyFresh wrote:is he combing his hair with a pork chop yet?

I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route - Page 3 502811600
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route - Page 3 Empty Re: I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-12-29, 21:55

This thread has aged... Poorly.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-29, 21:57

I am sure the OP is a big fan...for the moment.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-12-29, 22:41

Bumping banned user threads scratch scratch
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-29, 22:49

kingstonlake wrote:Bumping banned user threads scratch scratch

It's bumped annually at the start of the season. As the team nearly lost to Cleveland State today, I started thinking about the time the board freaked out (it was like 2.5 people and a dog) about Izzo being washed up.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msuspartan4eva 2017-12-29, 23:08

The_Dude wrote:Nearing end of career, game has seemed to pass him by. Stubbornness costing him games. His sets on offense simply don't work and executing out of timeouts are non existent. Coupled with failed recruiting, the parralels are quite similar.

Great thread. Not quite as cuntish as Turtledick's threads but......close.
msuspartan4eva
msuspartan4eva
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-30, 10:19

msuspartan4eva wrote:
The_Dude wrote:Nearing end of career, game has seemed to pass him by. Stubbornness costing him games. His sets on offense simply don't work and executing out of timeouts are non existent. Coupled with failed recruiting, the parralels are quite similar.

Great thread. Not quite as cuntish as Turtledick's threads but......close.

Who talks like this?
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-01-27, 14:00

Today's first half was predicted a long time ago.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-27, 14:16

I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route - Page 3 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-01-28, 13:04

Keady and Izzo’s careers are so much alike I can see how a blind troll would fall into this conclusion.

Keady coached Purdue to 2 Elite Eights and 5 Sweet Sixteens and 6 Big Ten Championships

Izzo (through 2018) has coached MSU to 1 National Championship, 6 more Final Fours and 8 Big Ten regular season Championships

Good comparison from the view under the OP’s bridge.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-02-24, 19:09

Izzo's gang no longer green giant
by Jim Carty

Wednesday, January 30, 2002

It'll be easy to remember when it became clear Michigan State's basketball dynasty had peaked and was on the way down.

Easy to remember because Tom Izzo himself delivered the message.

It was just last week. Izzo popped up on the television, in between games on ESPN, doing college basketball analysis in the middle of his own season. There he was, sitting next to some hair-sprayed anchor, talking basketball when he could be coaching it.

Writing his own obit to Michigan State's amazing run of three straight Final Fours, four straight Big Ten titles and the 2000 national championship.

Greatness takes everything you've got, sometimes more than you even think you can give. Izzo could have never built what he's built in Lansing by taking time out mid-season to play Howard Cosell on national television.

The fact that he's willing to do it now is proof in living color that on some level he's ready for a change. Make all the excuses you want about having a lot of time off between games or the ESPN gig being a fun way to promote the program, the bottom line is that basketball suddenly isn't enough to keep Izzo busy. He needed a getaway, a little fun, something different at a point in the season when most big-time basketball coaches are in the office 10 or more hours a day six or seven days a week.

Those are the kind of hours University of Michigan coach Tommy Amaker puts in.

Amaker has the drive and focus Izzo had back in 1995 when he replaced Jud Heathcote, when he had to prove he deserved the job, had to win over Mateen Cleaves and everybody else.

Amaker won't take time out to do 15 minutes on Detroit sports radio - he tells his media relations guy he's just too busy during the season - let alone give ESPN a day of his time. He and his staff don't have time to watch TV, let alone appear on it. They're mad, they're this bad and consumed by making sure they never are again.

Some folks will tell you Izzo can and will coach circles around Amaker. Maybe. They'll tell you Izzo is much, much better at promoting his program in the media. That's true, but nobody ever won a game that way.

They'll say the Spartans again outrecruited Michigan this year, and that this year's little slump in Lansing is to be expected, and that even in a bad year Michigan State will make the NCAA Tournament.

Maybe.

But maybe everyone has yet to grasp just how big a threat Amaker and Michigan are, just how hard it's going to be to maintain Michigan State's dynasty, even if Izzo's at his best.

If Amaker isn't the best young recruiter in America, he's close. At Seton Hall he attracted the nation's No. 1 recruit and No. 1 recruiting class to a school with on-campus facilities comparable to some Michigan community colleges, a school that sits on the outskirts of a Newark slum. They came for one reason: Kids and parents fall in love with and trust Tommy Amaker.

It's starting already here. Amaker may have already found his own Cleaves in Texas guard Daniel Horton. He's going to sign super junior Dion Harris of Detroit Redford next year, just watch, and Harris will only be part of yet another great class.

The University of Michigan, meanwhile, is this state's historically dominant basketball program, and Michigan kids will flock here over any other option if the Wolverines are decent.

What Izzo has accomplished the last four years towers over the Fab Five years at Michigan in terms of achievements, but for some reason Michigan State has never approached that Fab level of buzz outside of ... say ... Lansing and some Flint neighborhoods. The Fab Five were a national story. Every little kid with a pair of Jordans and a hoop in his neighborhood knew C Webb and the boys.

A lot of those kids are now going to the Nike or ABCD camps, and they remember those years. Most of them can't name four members of the five, but it doesn't matter. When it comes down to Michigan vs. Michigan State, Amaker vs. Izzo for a recruit, the Fabs are going to be a tie-breaker. Mark it down.

Izzo's been lucky up until now, he hasn't had to really deal with Michigan. He's received a huge boost in his program building by circumstances like the Ed Martin scandal, the ugly end of the Steve Fisher era, the inability of Brian Ellerbe to figure out he needed good kids, not just good players, to succeed at Michigan.

This isn't to say Izzo and the Spartans are done now, mind you.

They'll probably beat the heck of Amaker and Michigan tonight at the Breslin Center.

They need to. The free pass has been canceled. Michigan vs. Michigan State is an even fight again, and it's going to be a fight. The Spartans are ahead now, and will be a factor as long as Izzo is in Lansing, but in the long run my money is on the guy who's too busy coaching to appear on the radio.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-02-24, 19:29

Turtleneck wrote:Izzo's gang no longer green giant
by Jim Carty

Wednesday, January 30, 2002

It'll be easy to remember when it became clear Michigan State's basketball dynasty had peaked and was on the way down.

Easy to remember because Tom Izzo himself delivered the message.

It was just last week. Izzo popped up on the television, in between games on ESPN, doing college basketball analysis in the middle of his own season. There he was, sitting next to some hair-sprayed anchor, talking basketball when he could be coaching it.

Writing his own obit to Michigan State's amazing run of three straight Final Fours, four straight Big Ten titles and the 2000 national championship.

Greatness takes everything you've got, sometimes more than you even think you can give. Izzo could have never built what he's built in Lansing by taking time out mid-season to play Howard Cosell on national television.

The fact that he's willing to do it now is proof in living color that on some level he's ready for a change. Make all the excuses you want about having a lot of time off between games or the ESPN gig being a fun way to promote the program, the bottom line is that basketball suddenly isn't enough to keep Izzo busy. He needed a getaway, a little fun, something different at a point in the season when most big-time basketball coaches are in the office 10 or more hours a day six or seven days a week.

Those are the kind of hours University of Michigan coach Tommy Amaker puts in.

Amaker has the drive and focus Izzo had back in 1995 when he replaced Jud Heathcote, when he had to prove he deserved the job, had to win over Mateen Cleaves and everybody else.

Amaker won't take time out to do 15 minutes on Detroit sports radio - he tells his media relations guy he's just too busy during the season - let alone give ESPN a day of his time. He and his staff don't have time to watch TV, let alone appear on it. They're mad, they're this bad and consumed by making sure they never are again.

Some folks will tell you Izzo can and will coach circles around Amaker. Maybe. They'll tell you Izzo is much, much better at promoting his program in the media. That's true, but nobody ever won a game that way.

They'll say the Spartans again outrecruited Michigan this year, and that this year's little slump in Lansing is to be expected, and that even in a bad year Michigan State will make the NCAA Tournament.

Maybe.

But maybe everyone has yet to grasp just how big a threat Amaker and Michigan are, just how hard it's going to be to maintain Michigan State's dynasty, even if Izzo's at his best.

If Amaker isn't the best young recruiter in America, he's close. At Seton Hall he attracted the nation's No. 1 recruit and No. 1 recruiting class to a school with on-campus facilities comparable to some Michigan community colleges, a school that sits on the outskirts of a Newark slum. They came for one reason: Kids and parents fall in love with and trust Tommy Amaker.

It's starting already here. Amaker may have already found his own Cleaves in Texas guard Daniel Horton. He's going to sign super junior Dion Harris of Detroit Redford next year, just watch, and Harris will only be part of yet another great class.

The University of Michigan, meanwhile, is this state's historically dominant basketball program, and Michigan kids will flock here over any other option if the Wolverines are decent.

What Izzo has accomplished the last four years towers over the Fab Five years at Michigan in terms of achievements, but for some reason Michigan State has never approached that Fab level of buzz outside of ... say ... Lansing and some Flint neighborhoods. The Fab Five were a national story. Every little kid with a pair of Jordans and a hoop in his neighborhood knew C Webb and the boys.

A lot of those kids are now going to the Nike or ABCD camps, and they remember those years. Most of them can't name four members of the five, but it doesn't matter. When it comes down to Michigan vs. Michigan State, Amaker vs. Izzo for a recruit, the Fabs are going to be a tie-breaker. Mark it down.

Izzo's been lucky up until now, he hasn't had to really deal with Michigan. He's received a huge boost in his program building by circumstances like the Ed Martin scandal, the ugly end of the Steve Fisher era, the inability of Brian Ellerbe to figure out he needed good kids, not just good players, to succeed at Michigan.

This isn't to say Izzo and the Spartans are done now, mind you.

They'll probably beat the heck of Amaker and Michigan tonight at the Breslin Center.

They need to. The free pass has been canceled. Michigan vs. Michigan State is an even fight again, and it's going to be a fight. The Spartans are ahead now, and will be a factor as long as Izzo is in Lansing, but in the long run my money is on the guy who's too busy coaching to appear on the radio.

Tommy Amaker lol. Actually doing a solid job at Harvard
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-02-24, 19:34

I wonder if Carty is doing as solid a job as a lawyer as he did as a sportswriter.

Edit: Good lord, Carty is sharing his genius as an assistant US attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan in Detroit. I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route - Page 3 1966794946

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2019-02-24, 19:51; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-02-24, 19:39

I didn't read the date and just started reading. About shit myself when I saw Amaker's name.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Holmes 2019-02-24, 21:45

Tommy recruited a bunch of guys who could run fast and jump high. Unfortunately, he coached a sport that the winner was determined by the number of times a ball goes thru the basket. he should of kept the scholly for david kool cause his kids didn't score.
Holmes
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-02-24, 22:51

David Kool... Holy flashback.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-02-24, 22:54

Holmes wrote:Tommy recruited a bunch of guys who could run fast and jump high. Unfortunately, he coached a sport that the winner was determined by the number of times a ball goes thru the basket. he should of kept the scholly for david kool cause his kids didn't score.

David Kool had a wonderful career at WMU because a player with his skill set can have a great MAC career.

Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota and other Big Ten schools never offered.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2019-03-31, 20:46; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-02-24, 22:57

I thought he suffered a really bad injury in high school, and a lot of bigger programs backed off. I might be thinking of somebody else.

Edit: tore his ACL in spring of his junior year in high school. Not sure if it impacted his recruitment.
https://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/02/grand_rapids_south_christians_3.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-03-31, 20:42

Game must have passed him by before turning around and picking him up for another ride to the Final Four.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-03-31, 20:49

Hope The_Dude's fear didn't start a bleeding ulcer and he's been getting life saving transfusions.

Who'd of predicted Izzo going to another Final Four could lead to tragic events.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-31, 23:46

The OP is such an insufferable gasbag. I fear Izzo is going down the Keady/Knight route - Page 3 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-11-05, 17:59

Bump for the new season.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3