Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourbon and whiskey drinkers

+40
Motown Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
Cameron
Clarett's Folly
tTito
Dendrobates
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Nordic
Other Teams Pursuing That
Bill Cain
CORNER BLITZ
tGreenWay
Watch Out Pylon!
SawGreen
Herbie Green
Floyd Robertson
GirbaudJeans
SeeRockCity
MattyFresh
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
AnomanderRake
pulling69
xsanguine
InTenSity
steveschneider
SpartanInNH
Rocinante
Tim Wakefield
Snake Plissken
Ass Dan
The_Dude
tTy
The Pantry
Triple Sparty
Kramerica
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
kingstonlake
44 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 Empty Re: Bourbon and whiskey drinkers

Post by tTito Sun 24 Mar 2019 - 18:38

Dendrobates wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
I get the bottle tomorrow. It's Blanton gold, which was shipped in from Ireland. I'm not asking what this person paid for this bottle. It's a gift. I'm going to try to save it for special occasions. How long will an open bottle of bourbon last?

Blatons is hard to find. Why is that?

I like it, and I’ve had a few old fashioned with it when I stay at the JW in GR. I think my favorite right now is Basil.
Average every day I like bullet .

Smitty's in EGR gets a barrel every fall. You can get on their mailing list. It's usually $75.00 per 1/5.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Sun 24 Mar 2019 - 19:09

tTito wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Blatons is hard to find. Why is that?

I like it, and I’ve had a few old fashioned with it when I stay at the JW in GR. I think my favorite right now is Basil.
Average every day I like bullet .

Smitty's in EGR gets a barrel every fall. You can get on their mailing list. It's usually $75.00 per 1/5.

I might have to do that.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 24 Mar 2019 - 20:16

tTito wrote:https://www.thedailybeast.com/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana

Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 502811600 That’s just messed up. I expect polo shirts with designer labels and private labels to come from the same factories. Most people by now know Luxottica makes a big majority of the high and low end labels for eyeglass frames, and private label store foods come from brand name producers. Selling your craft bourbon and rye as small batch microdistilled, complete with a totally phony backstory? That’s bogus, man.

Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 969504605
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun 24 Mar 2019 - 21:47

Looks like I now have to do homework on bourbon as I did beer.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Sun 24 Mar 2019 - 22:20

InTenSity wrote:Looks like I now have to do homework on bourbon as I did beer.

I bet you feel like a chump.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun 24 Mar 2019 - 22:22

tTito wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Looks like I now have to do homework on bourbon as I did beer.

I bet you feel like a chump.
Nm too much bourbon.

Last edited by InTenSity on Mon 25 Mar 2019 - 8:53; edited 1 time in total
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Sun 24 Mar 2019 - 22:30

I think I'm doing the Bourbon trail this summer, my Ambassador barrel at Maker's is done and I have my invite to go dip my own bottles. Other than Maker's and Buffalo Trace where do I NEED to go?
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 14:56

while I'm still a faithful follower of Jack Daniels (I will sip Jameson periodically), my lovely wife has gotten on a Glenlevit kick. She had a bottle or two of the Glenlevit 12.. recently she had me tracking down the Glenlevit 15... I fear that the 18 is coming soon.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 15:02

I've been a fan of the Wild Turkey, Rare Breed lately.
Sadly it's what I drank right before the game on Saturday but, nonetheless, it has a nice flavor and a good amount of heat.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Boise Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 15:40

Clarett's Folly wrote:I've been a fan of the Wild Turkey, Rare Breed lately.
Sadly it's what I drank right before the game on Saturday but, nonetheless, it has a nice flavor and a good amount of heat.

Speaking of higher end products from lower end distillers, I really dug the Old Grandad 114. Someone told me it was going out of production, but I still see it on a shelf now and again. The higher alcohol content gives it a very interesting mouth bite and almost a cinnamon quality.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Boise Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 16:40

SeeRockCity wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:I've been a fan of the Wild Turkey, Rare Breed lately.

Speaking of higher end products from lower end distillers, I really dug the Old Grandad 114.  Someone told me it was going out of production, but I still see it on a shelf now and again.  The higher alcohol content gives it a very interesting mouth bite and almost a cinnamon quality.

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of high alcohol content bourbons. Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I like the flavor or an 80-100 proof bourbon over the burn of say a 130 proof Booker's. You all can keep your barrel proof stuff to yourself. I'll just drink a bit more and end up in the same place.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 18:00

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:

Speaking of higher end products from lower end distillers, I really dug the Old Grandad 114.  Someone told me it was going out of production, but I still see it on a shelf now and again.  The higher alcohol content gives it a very interesting mouth bite and almost a cinnamon quality.

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of high alcohol content bourbons. Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I like the flavor or an 80-100 proof bourbon over the burn of say a 130 proof Booker's. You all can keep your barrel proof stuff to yourself. I'll just drink a bit more and end up in the same place.

Damnit, this is the second and third times today I’ve agreed with Pylon. Are we sure it’s not still Monday?

1) Something tragic def could’ve happpened to the axe tosser in the Videos thread,
2) Flavor >>>>>> Heat (no offense, Heat),
3) Pylon is definitely a pussy.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 20:01

tGreenWay wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Damnit, this is the second and third times today I’ve agreed with Pylon. Are we sure it’s not still Monday?

1) Something tragic def could’ve happpened to the axe tosser in the Videos thread,
2) Flavor >>>>>> Heat (no offense, Heat),
3) Pylon is definitely a pussy.

Did we just become friends?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 20:10

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:

I like both depending on the mood. I had a Booker's last night.  For higher alcohol content, I really like Baker's, which is 117 I believe.

Also had a Dickel 12 last night, which is a Tennessee Whisky. I'm not a big Jack fan, but this was really good. Cheap too. $8 vs. thev $22 Booker's. I would definitely order it again.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 21:54

I've found Four Roses to be a pretty goddamn good value for the price.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 22:43

pulling69 wrote:I think I'm doing the Bourbon trail this summer, my Ambassador barrel at Maker's is done and I have my invite to go dip my own bottles. Other than Maker's and Buffalo Trace where do I NEED to go?

That’s pretty awesome.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 22:44

Clarett's Folly wrote:I've found Four Roses to be a pretty goddamn good value for the price.

I haven’t had it in a while, I remember it not being my favorite. I’ll try it again. As cheaper bourbons go, Eagle Rare is my current go to.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Tue 9 Apr 2019 - 23:08

Clarett's Folly wrote:I've found Four Roses to be a pretty goddamn good value for the price.

Agreed, but Buffalo Trace is still my go to ~$30 bourbon.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 6:41

SeeRockCity wrote:

The store that carries it by me sells it for $15 so I look at it as a step down from that but, otherwise, I'd agree.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 8:20

pulling69 wrote:I think I'm doing the Bourbon trail this summer, my Ambassador barrel at Maker's is done and I have my invite to go dip my own bottles. Other than Maker's and Buffalo Trace where do I NEED to go?

Buffalo Trace is the best distillery to visit and it's not even officially on the bourbon trail. Stitzel Weller is pretty cool, I'd hit that one up. Woodford Reserve is a good one to hit up as well. If you've never been to a bourbon distillery before, the smell of old wood and bourbon is amazing in the warehouses.

Evan Williams is kind of lame. It's right in the downtown area of Louisville. I could have skipped that one. The drive out to Wild Turkey is neat but kind of bare bones, the same with Four Roses. You do get to keep your tasting glass at Four Roses if you do the tour though.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 8:24

SeeRockCity wrote:

The baseline Buffalo Trace is hands down my favorite bourbon at that price. Four Roses single barrel is my favorite single barrel at the $40/$50 range. If you ever find a bottle of Colonel Taylor single barrel buy it. It's fucking great. You're going to pay around $90/$100 per bottle though.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 17:34

Not bourbon or whiskey.. but just had a swig of moonshine.

And not the commercialized kind where you get a receipt and a "have a nice day"..

the kind where your cousin hooks you up with someone he knows, you drive over in the dark, pull around the back of a schoolhouse.. a guy you've never seen before walks out of the shadows, takes $80 bucks and hands you two quarts of white lightening... looks around and says "get the fuck outta here".

Good stuff.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 20:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Not bourbon or whiskey.. but just had a swig of moonshine.

And not the commercialized kind where you get a receipt and a "have a nice day"..

the kind where your cousin hooks you up with someone he knows, you drive over in the dark, pull around the back of a schoolhouse.. a guy you've never seen before walks out of the shadows, takes $80 bucks and hands you two quarts of white lightening... looks around and says "get the fuck outta here".

Good stuff.

Be honest, this has never really happened to you.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 20:40

SeeRockCity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Not bourbon or whiskey.. but just had a swig of moonshine.

Good stuff.

Be honest, this has never really happened to you.
it pretty much has.. with the exception of the schoolhouse. It was actually by an alley in a bar in the town I grew up in.

I gotz connections, yo.

another time, one of my other relatives actually dropped the moonshine off at my parents house after church.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 20:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
another time, one of my other relatives actually dropped the moonshine off at my parents house after church.

Well, yeah, who hasn't had this happen to them? I mean c'mon.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 10 Apr 2019 - 21:05

SeeRockCity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Well, yeah, who hasn't had this happen to them? I mean c'mon.
it was pretty funny..

"yeah.. mamma's got the stuff you wanted.. said she's gonna drop it off after church.. yeah, $30 apiece.."... Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 22 Apr 2019 - 9:34

was in Grand Rapids over the weekend - my wife had a Glenlivet 21. She seemed to enjoy it.

I had 3 Old Styles.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 22:53

Noooo! Fire at Jim Beam, more bourbon lost!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/03/thousands-barrels-jim-beam-bourbon-burn-kentucky/39650447/

Some interesting info from the article..

One standard bourbon barrel usually holds about 53 gallons of bourbon that eventually turns into around 150 to 200 750 milliliter bottles, the Courier Journal reported. If all the barrels held bourbon, that would be a loss of at least 6 million bottles, the Louisville newspaper reported.

The whiskey maker suffered a total loss in the burned warehouse. The destroyed whiskey amounted to about 1% of Beam’s bourbon inventory, it said.

. The distiller said it operates 126 barrel warehouses in Kentucky that hold about 3.3 million barrels for its brands.

The Beam fire was the latest warehouse loss suffered by a Kentucky distiller.

Last month, a storm caused the partial collapse of a warehouse at O.Z. Tyler Distillery in Owensboro. The painstaking process of recovering barrels is continuing as part of the distiller’s overall plan that included taking down the entire structure.

Another Kentucky bourbon barrel warehouse collapsed last year. Half of a warehouse collapsed at the Barton 1792 Distillery in Bardstown in June 2018, and the other half came down two weeks later.

Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 JIM+BEAM+FIRE2
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 23:32

Pardon my math but working through the reported number of 45K barrels lost and it being only 1% of inventory equates to 4.5M barrels, not the 3.3M reported in the story. Calipari write that story?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 23:38

45/3300 = 0.013636 repeating of course

So 1% works if you're rounding Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 2599972566 I dunno, probably shouldn't be doing math this late.

Last edited by Nordic on Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 23:53; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 23:53

I've been to a few bourbon distilleries. Most of the warehouses are all wood structures. None of these building have sprinkler systems either.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 23:54

Nordic wrote:45/3300 = 0.013636 repeating of course

So 1% works if you're rounding Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 2599972566

Not a math, accounting, engineering major, correct? ACT/SAT scores not needed. 45K barrels being 1% of inventory = 4.5M barrels total...not the 3.3M reported in the article. Kentucky math?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri 5 Jul 2019 - 10:59

Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 20190710

Bourbon. It's what's for dinner.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 8 Jul 2019 - 15:01

Nordic wrote:Noooo! Fire at Jim Beam, more bourbon lost!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/03/thousands-barrels-jim-beam-bourbon-burn-kentucky/39650447/

Some interesting info from the article..

One standard bourbon barrel usually holds about 53 gallons of bourbon that eventually turns into around 150 to 200 750 milliliter bottles, the Courier Journal reported. If all the barrels held bourbon, that would be a loss of at least 6 million bottles, the Louisville newspaper reported.

The whiskey maker suffered a total loss in the burned warehouse. The destroyed whiskey amounted to about 1% of Beam’s bourbon inventory, it said.

. The distiller said it operates 126 barrel warehouses in Kentucky that hold about 3.3 million barrels for its brands.

The Beam fire was the latest warehouse loss suffered by a Kentucky distiller.

Last month, a storm caused the partial collapse of a warehouse at O.Z. Tyler Distillery in Owensboro. The painstaking process of recovering barrels is continuing as part of the distiller’s overall plan that included taking down the entire structure.

Another Kentucky bourbon barrel warehouse collapsed last year. Half of a warehouse collapsed at the Barton 1792 Distillery in Bardstown in June 2018, and the other half came down two weeks later.

Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 JIM+BEAM+FIRE2

Punk ass fish can't handle their liquor.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48911918
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 8 Jul 2019 - 15:11

Cameron wrote:

"People using the Kentucky River in the area of the plume will likely see and smell dead fish."

to go with their nasty ass local ladies.

hey oh!
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon 8 Jul 2019 - 17:19

The Pantry wrote:
Nordic wrote:45/3300 = 0.013636 repeating of course

So 1% works if you're rounding Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 2599972566

Not a math, accounting, engineering major, correct? ACT/SAT scores not needed. 45K barrels being 1% of inventory = 4.5M barrels total...not the 3.3M reported in the article. Kentucky math?

Engineering. What part of my math was wrong?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 8 Jul 2019 - 18:28

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Cameron wrote:

"People using the Kentucky River in the area of the plume will likely see and smell dead fish."

to go with their nasty ass local ladies.

hey oh!

“[Sniff Sniff] Hey, Bobbi Sue must be over in that holler.”
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 3 Apr 2020 - 18:03

Hey WOP!
Are you looking for this?Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 20200410
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun 5 Apr 2020 - 13:06

InTenSity wrote:Hey WOP!
Are you looking for this?Bourbon and whiskey drinkers  - Page 10 20200410

Oh nice! Where'd you find a topper in that bright gold shade? All of mine are a darker brown color.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun 5 Apr 2020 - 16:49

It's only sold in Europe, I guess. It's a 700 ml bottle.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next