Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oregon Is First State to Adopt Automatic Voter Registration...

+11
Cameron
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
The Pantry
Rodeo Burger
Turtleneck
LoneWolfSparty
Marc Summers
Cym Jim
Heat Miser
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Oregon Is First State to Adopt Automatic Voter Registration... - Page 3 Empty Re: Oregon Is First State to Adopt Automatic Voter Registration...

Post by Turtleneck Tue 17 Mar 2015 - 15:26

LooseGoose wrote:

Or you could inform yourself....but then again that would wreck your smug narrative.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/10/87474-yale-professors-surprising-discovery-tea-party-supporters-scientifically-literate/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/politics/15poll.html?_r=0

I was curious about this research, and the way that the claims were being presented. To me, neither the strength or significance of the relationship was anything to get all that worked up over. Those are middle of the road numbers, and saying otherwise is rather manipulative.

To support my statement, I turn directly to the researcher referenced in your articles...

So I wasn’t “surprised”—much less “stunned”—when I observed descriptions of the data I presented on the correlation between science comprehension and identification with the tea party being warped by this same dynamic.

The 14 billion regular readers of this blog (exactly 2,503,232 of whom identity with the tea party) know that I believe that there is no convincing empirical evidence that the science communication problem—the failure of compelling, widely accessible scientific evidence to dispel culturally fractious disputes over societal risks and other policy-relevant facts—can be attributed to any supposed correlation between a “conservative” political outlook & a deficit in science literacy, critical reasoning skills, or commitment to science’s signature methods for discovery of truth.

http://www.culturalcognition.net/blog/2013/10/19/congratulations-tea-party-members-you-are-just-as-vulnerable.html

I suppose this means you could inform yourself about statistics before calling people out about being informed. While a relationship is suggested at those measures, it is small and not all that insignificant.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Thu 6 Oct 2016 - 14:10; edited 4 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Oregon Is First State to Adopt Automatic Voter Registration... - Page 3 Empty Re: Oregon Is First State to Adopt Automatic Voter Registration...

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 17 Mar 2015 - 15:41

Turtleneck wrote:

I was curious about this research, and the way that the claims were being presented. To me, statistically speaking (at r = .05 and p = .05), neither the strength or significance of the relationship was anything to get all that worked up over. Those are middle of the road numbers, and saying otherwise is rather manipulative.

To support my statement, I turn directly to the researcher referenced in your articles...

I suppose this means you could inform yourself about statistics before calling people out about being informed. While a relationship is suggested a those measures, it is small and not all that insignificant.
while I certainly appreciate your efforts here, I don't think pointing the facts out to a tea party enthusiast is your best use of time..

that's why I just tend to let it slide around here.. Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Mar 2015 - 15:58

Turtleneck wrote:

I was curious about this research, and the way that the claims were being presented. To me, statistically speaking (r = .05 and p = .05), neither the strength or significance of the relationship was anything to get all that worked up over. Those are middle of the road numbers, and saying otherwise is rather manipulative.

I suppose this means you could inform yourself about statistics before calling people out about being informed. While a relationship is suggested at those measures, it is small and not all that insignificant.

And those are 2 studies/polls among many that show that "Tea Party" voters are more engaged/informed on politics than the average American.   I didn't link 25 of them though I would wager I could find that many over the last 6 years.   But as Bob's "facts" reply shows, to present him with any evidence contravening his "knuckledraggers" position is simply a waste of time.  He'll do just what he accuses others of doing, ignore the facts.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 17 Mar 2015 - 16:27

1) Then why the constant talk about getting back to the Constitution when in reality Tea Party rhetoric sounds more anti-federalist than federalist. If they are so smart, they should conduct a more careful reading of the historical debates that occurred at the founding. To be honest, they misunderstand/misrepresent history to a great extent.

2) I think you miss the point. Find all the studies you want. If they carry the same statistical significance as the first study you linked, they only carry as much weight as you assign them.

3) When do you think this gets sent to tBin?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue 17 Mar 2015 - 18:04

Only people with PhDs should be allowed to vote.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 17 Mar 2015 - 18:24

Cym Jim wrote:Only people with PhDs should be allowed to vote.

Only if the PhD is in the social sciences.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Tue 17 Mar 2015 - 21:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I, too, would love to see an informed electorate.. but that would eliminate the Tea Party and Sarah Palin from our recent history.. and I'm much more interested in their entertainment value than I am in a correcting the ills of a flawed government.

THAT'S IRRELEVANT TO THE DISCUSSION, BOB! YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THAT IN THIS THREAD.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 8:03

LooseGoose wrote:

And those are 2 studies/polls among many that show that "Tea Party" voters are more engaged/informed on politics than the average American.   I didn't link 25 of them though I would wager I could find that many over the last 6 years.   But as Bob's "facts" reply shows, to present him with any evidence contravening his "knuckledraggers" position is simply a waste of time.  He'll do just what he accuses others of doing, ignore the facts.
while you're promoting your "facts" relative to the genius status of your beloved Tea Party, I'm surprised you left this one out..

46% of GOP Thinks Obama Is a Muslim

I don't know.. maybe Sarah Palin and the rest of the intellectual elite were busy conducting some innovative research in the area of the mechanical response of biomembranes and artificial tissue in biology and medicine to take time to participate in this poll.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 9:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:while you're promoting your "facts" relative to the genius status of your beloved Tea Party, I'm surprised you left this one out..

46% of GOP Thinks Obama Is a Muslim

I don't know.. maybe Sarah Palin and the rest of the intellectual elite were busy conducting some innovative research in the area of the mechanical response of biomembranes and artificial tissue in biology and medicine to take time to participate in this poll.

Now tell me about the liberals that think vaccines and hybrid foods will kill you.

There are crazies all around you, you simply choose to ignore those that agree with you on other issues.

Your continued references to anyone that disagrees with you as idiots and "knuckledraggers" does nothing to advance your views. You assume that no one can have an honest difference of opinion based on anything other than stupidity.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 9:15

LooseGoose wrote:

Now tell me about the liberals that think vaccines and hybrid foods will kill you.

There are crazies all around you, you simply choose to ignore those that agree with you on other issues.

Your continued references to anyone that disagrees with you as idiots and "knuckledraggers" does nothing to advance your views.  You assume that no one can have an honest difference of opinion based on anything other than stupidity.
dude, I'm sorry that I think that the Tea Party is a bunch of sub-intellect racists.. you're free to think otherwise.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 10:37

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
dude, I'm sorry that I think that the Tea Party is a bunch of sub-intellect racists.. you're free to think otherwise.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that shit like this keeps happening:

That Awkward Moment When The Tea Party Rally Gets Overtly Racist

Stormfront members see quite keen on the Tea Party also - the ones who aren't see it as a little too pro-Jew!

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t750536-3/
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 10:41

Cym Jim wrote:

Stormfront members see quite keen on the Tea Party also - the ones who aren't see it as a little too pro-Jew!

we just have a difference of opinions with them.. no need to have so much contempt for American patriots.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 11:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:we just have a difference of opinions with them.. no need to have so much contempt for American patriots.

Exactly. The liberal opinion is that a former KKK grand wizard would make a fine senator for 50 years so they kept re-electing him. Since he was a Dem he couldn't have been a racist.

Or maybe this from noted non racist Bill Clinton? I'd love to see the reaction if a Republican candidates spouse had said this: "A few years ago, (Barack Obama) would have been getting us coffee." -- Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 11:53

Cym Jim wrote:

Amazing that the darned racist Tea Party was critical in electing Tim Scott and Mia Love. Ben Carson's supporters tend to be Tea Party types.....Name me how many black Dems have been elected to Congress from majority white districts?? I'll wait as long as you need for the answer.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 12:24

LooseGoose wrote:

Exactly.   The liberal opinion is that a former KKK grand wizard would make a fine senator for 50 years so they kept re-electing him.   Since he was a Dem he couldn't have been a racist.

Or maybe this from noted non racist Bill Clinton?   I'd love to see the reaction if a Republican candidates spouse had said this:  "A few years ago, (Barack Obama) would have been getting us coffee." -- Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy

glad to know that I'm allowed to have my own opinions on the knuckle-dragging racist Tea Party.. thanks.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 12:27

LooseGoose wrote:

Amazing that the darned racist Tea Party was critical in electing Tim Scott and Mia Love.  Ben Carson's supporters tend to be Tea Party types.....Name me how many black Dems have been elected to Congress from majority white districts??   I'll wait as long as you need for the answer.
you mean Uncle Tom?

can't imagine why the white folks would support people who support their narrow-minded agenda.. and then be able to (just like you did) say "look - we have one or two black people.. see them.. they're right there"!! {pointing toward the well-behaved black folks who echo the white racist theories)..

I bet as long as Carson, Love, et al. behave and say exactly what Fox News wants them to, Fox News and it's ilk will continue to proudly show their support of the one or two black folks they can call "one of us".

Oregon Is First State to Adopt Automatic Voter Registration... - Page 3 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 12:36

LooseGoose wrote:

Your continued references to anyone that disagrees with you as idiots and "knuckledraggers" does nothing to advance your views. You assume that no one can have an honest difference of opinion based on anything other than stupidity.

Meh. Its just the liberal playbook. Call anyone that disagrees with your opinions names instead of debating the actual merits of the discussion. Facts normally don't sit too well with liberals.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Wed 18 Mar 2015 - 12:38

The_Dude wrote:

Meh. Its just the liberal playbook. Call anyone that disagrees with your opinions names instead of debating the actual merits of the discussion. Facts normally don't sit too well with liberals.

Shut up, poopface!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 6 Oct 2016 - 14:07

Bump
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3