Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread

+18
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
gomersbro
SeeRockCity
Heat Miser
Nordic
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
CORNER BLITZ
SpartanInNH
Watch Out Pylon!
HT
Ass Dan
Floyd Robertson
Wally Fairway
steveschneider
tTito
InTenSity
22 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread

Post by Guest Fri 10 Apr - 21:01

Spartan Football ‏@MSU_Football 17m17 minutes ago
Passing Leaders: Connor Cook 14-of-20 for 126 (2 INTs); Damion Terry 8-of-9 for 117 (2 TDs); Tyler O’Connor 5-of-11 for 73 (INT). #Spartans
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri 10 Apr - 21:14

LooseGoose wrote:Spartan Football ‏@MSU_Football 17m17 minutes ago
Passing Leaders: Connor Cook 14-of-20 for 126 (2 INTs); Damion Terry 8-of-9 for 117 (2 TDs); Tyler O’Connor 5-of-11 for 73 (INT). #Spartans

Put in Terry
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat 11 Apr - 15:25

Nebraska had 76,000 at their spring game today. Paid attendance, although kids got in free. They probably had ticket sales of $500,000 at $10 & $15 per.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Sat 11 Apr - 15:38

Floyd Robertson wrote:Nebraska had 76,000 at their spring game today. Paid attendance, although kids got in free. They probably had ticket sales of $500,000 at $10 & $15 per.

They are so nuts when it comes to their football team, but I guess you gotta pay for Pelini's buyout somehow.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Apr - 8:48

EAST LANSING – In the shadow of a Final Four, on a campus that actually cares more about football, Michigan State's football program is in an odd place this spring.

The Spartans have reached the zenith of their modern existence — coming off two straight top-five rankings — with little room left to climb. The only remaining dream requires perfection, or close to it.

MSU is in a rare position where it's essentially waiting for the season. Not wasting time, but also not desperately needing a spring to uncover and develop players who give the Spartans a chance to win. This team is going to win. The question is how big.

"I know this, that we could go out and play a game tomorrow," MSU coach Mark Dantonio said this week. "We're going to make mistakes but we're game ready."

Game ready — in mid-April. You don't hear that very often.

Couch: Season can't arrive soon enough for MSU football
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Apr - 13:28

EAST LANSING -- Mark Dantonio couldn't have been more direct about his thoughts pertaining to Friday's 120-play scrimmage at Spartan Stadium.

"I was very impressed with our defense,'' Dantonio said in a school release following the closed scrimmage. "The front seven played extremely well. Shilique Calhoun is always going to be great. LT (Lawrence Thomas) played very well, and Malik McDowell played well in there.

"(Middle linebacker) Riley Bullough was active, and (outside linebacker) Darien Harris had a good game defensively. It's tough to see sometimes from ground level, but it's a credit to the way we played defensively.''

Michigan State football coach Mark Dantonio critiques Spartans' first spring scrimmage
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 12 Apr - 15:25

LooseGoose wrote:
EAST LANSING – In the shadow of a Final Four, on a campus that actually cares more about football, Michigan State's football program is in an odd place this spring.

The Spartans have reached the zenith of their modern existence — coming off two straight top-five rankings — with little room left to climb. The only remaining dream requires perfection, or close to it.

MSU is in a rare position where it's essentially waiting for the season. Not wasting time, but also not desperately needing a spring to uncover and develop players who give the Spartans a chance to win. This team is going to win. The question is how big.

"I know this, that we could go out and play a game tomorrow," MSU coach Mark Dantonio said this week. "We're going to make mistakes but we're game ready."

Game ready — in mid-April. You don't hear that very often.

Loving the confidence from Coach D.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 12 Apr - 15:26

Very excited for the season. Very excited.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Apr - 8:37

EAST LANSING -- Coach Mark Dantonio said last week it would be up to the media to figure out Michigan State's football team weaknesses.

Column: Identifying Michigan State football weaknesses likely addressed this spring
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Mon 13 Apr - 8:43

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Loving the confidence from Coach D.

I'm so excited I want to go break something.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Apr - 10:48

EAST LANSING -- Jamal Lyles is holding back -- not on the field, but in his interviews.

The 6-foot-3, 260-pound junior originally from Southfield-Lathrup High School clearly knows he could be on the verge of a breakout season, if such a thing exists at the tight end position.

Lyles, however, leaned toward staying modest, choosing not to share the particulars of his obvious strength gains in the offseason.

Michigan State already has a reliable go-to target at tight end in the form of Josiah Price, a skilled player defenses must identify and match up with, as his 26 catches for 374 yards and six touchdowns would indicate.

But what are defenses to if the Spartans show a double tight end ("Ace" formation) look, and what position is left to match up with Lyles?

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/04/tight_end_jamal_lyles_gives_mi.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Apr - 9:02

Cook
Calhoun
Conklin
Allen
McDowell

Are all ranked/mentioned.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-tens-pre-spring-top-15-player-rankings-2015
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue 14 Apr - 9:28

LooseGoose wrote:Cook
Calhoun
Conklin
Allen
McDowell

Are all ranked/mentioned.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-tens-pre-spring-top-15-player-rankings-2015

So much talent on both lines.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Apr - 12:14

EAST LANSING -- Demetrius Cooper heard all the big talk last spring, but deep, down inside he knew he wasn't ready to live up to the hype generated by his performance in the annual Green-White game.

"Last spring their was a buzz going around that I was going to be a good player, but I knew on the inside that I had a long way to go,'' Cooper said at a media opportunity last week.

"With this year, I can say the buzz can be even better, and the buzz will be true,'' he said. "I can see my game stepping up from last year to this spring, because every night i watch film after practice, and I watched it from the last spring's seventh practice, and it's a huge difference.

"I have to keep on continuing to get better and hopefully have a huge season.''

Cooper is penciled-in as Michigan State's third defensive end, expected to see action when rising senior Lawrence Thomas shifts from end to defensive tackle in certain alignments and schemes.

Michigan State's Demetrius Cooper says Spartans' D-Line can be 'unstoppable' this season
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Apr - 12:46

Spartan Football ‏@MSU_Football 9m9 minutes ago

From @BruceFeldmanCFB: "(Michigan State) This figures to be one of the country's best front sevens, led by a potentially dominant D-line."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 14 Apr - 12:50

Goose, what's your take is our d going to take a step back after losing Narduzzi or are we going to pick up right where we left off?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Apr - 12:54

steveschneider wrote:Goose, what's your take is our d going to take a step back after losing Narduzzi or are we going to pick up right where we left off?

I really think this year's D will be as good or better than last year. Definitely better up front and much as I love him as a person I thought K Drummond had a down year as a Sr. Replace him with Nicholson and the safety position is as good or better so that only leaves CB. I trust Dantonio/Barnett to find the solution there - probably a mix of Cox/Copeland/Hicks or a sleeper we're all missing.

Here's the source on that Feldman quote above - went and found it:

From @Schwall4Eric: Do you think Michigan State can maintain a top defense after losing DC Pat Narduzzi?

Narduzzi was terrific. His track record the past five years was as good as any defensive coordinator in college football, but don't forget Mark Dantonio was also a very sharp defensive guy and he's got a keen eye for scheme and evaluating defensive talent. He did have a key role in unearthing many of those two- and three-star recruits who blossomed into All-Big Ten players. His and Narduzzi's proteges, Harlon Barnett and Mike Tressel, are well-versed in what made the Spartans such a force.

Dantonio has tweaked some things, changing the "money" LB back to the "SAM" for the strong-side linebacker position, but expect it to still be the same aggressive lock-down unit. Plus it helps to have a star D-lineman in Shilique Calhoun to keep offenses on their heels.

In truth, as productive as Calhoun should be, there are two other guys on the defensive front who may emerge as just as equally big headaches for rival offenses --Lawrence Thomas and Malik McDowell, a pair of explosive big men who weigh between 285-300 pounds. Rangy pass rusher Montez Sweat is another player with a lot of potential up front, while Ed Davis has the talent to be an All-Big Ten linebacker and MLB Riley Bullough is a steady anchor for the D. This figures to be one of the country's best front sevens, led by a potentially dominant D-line.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/notre-dame-oregon-ohio-state-2015-heisman-darkhorses-feldman-mailbag-041315

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 14 Apr - 13:06

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Goose, what's your take is our d going to take a step back after losing Narduzzi or are we going to pick up right where we left off?

I really think this year's D will be as good or better than last year. Definitely better up front and much as I love him as a person I thought K Drummond had a down year as a Sr. Replace him with Nicholson and the safety position is as good or better so that only leaves CB. I trust Dantonio/Barnett to find the solution there - probably a mix of Cox/Copeland/Hicks or a sleeper we're all missing.

Here's the source on that Feldman quote above - went and found it:

From @Schwall4Eric: Do you think Michigan State can maintain a top defense after losing DC Pat Narduzzi?

Narduzzi was terrific. His track record the past five years was as good as any defensive coordinator in college football, but don't forget Mark Dantonio was also a very sharp defensive guy and he's got a keen eye for scheme and evaluating defensive talent. He did have a key role in unearthing many of those two- and three-star recruits who blossomed into All-Big Ten players. His and Narduzzi's proteges, Harlon Barnett and Mike Tressel, are well-versed in what made the Spartans such a force.

Dantonio has tweaked some things, changing the "money" LB back to the "SAM" for the strong-side linebacker position, but expect it to still be the same aggressive lock-down unit. Plus it helps to have a star D-lineman in Shilique Calhoun to keep offenses on their heels.

In truth, as productive as Calhoun should be, there are two other guys on the defensive front who may emerge as just as equally big headaches for rival offenses --Lawrence Thomas and Malik McDowell, a pair of explosive big men who weigh between 285-300 pounds. Rangy pass rusher Montez Sweat is another player with a lot of potential up front, while Ed Davis has the talent to be an All-Big Ten linebacker and MLB Riley Bullough is a steady anchor for the D. This figures to be one of the country's best front sevens, led by a potentially dominant D-line.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/notre-dame-oregon-ohio-state-2015-heisman-darkhorses-feldman-mailbag-041315

Thanks, I agree with your take. I think as long as we have Dantonio over seeing it the defense should still be top notch.

It's going to be a fun year!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Apr - 18:53

EAST LANSING – Few positions mean more than punter to Mark Dantonio, and just two players have occupied it in his time at Michigan State.

Now it’s Jake Hartbarger’s turn. The 6-foot-4, 209-pound freshman looks like he could play linebacker, but he’s taking over at punter after four years of Mike Sadler — MSU’s first four-time Academic All-American — and four years of Aaron Bates before him.

Sadler said before MSU’s win over Baylor in the Cotton Bowl that Hartbarger has the tools to be an all-time great. Hartbarger arrived from Waterville, Ohio, in the fall as the nation’s No. 1 punter according 247Sports.com, but Dantonio said Tuesday that he’s still on the learning curve.

Freshman Hartbarger up next at punter for MSU
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 14 Apr - 19:34

Perles @ practice today.

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 CCls9qRUwAAHuo0
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Apr - 19:45

Floyd Robertson wrote:Perles @ practice today.

Kind of sad to see him like that. At the same time I'm glad he's still able to watch practice, maybe he can give the DL some tips.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue 14 Apr - 20:13

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Perles @ practice today.

Kind of sad to see him like that. At the same time I'm glad he's still able to watch practice, maybe he can give the DL some tips.

Agreed. Hard to believe that it was 30 years ago already that he was assembling Gang Green that would eventually win a Rose Bowl.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 14 Apr - 20:50

LooseGoose wrote:
EAST LANSING – Few positions mean more than punter to Mark Dantonio, and just two players have occupied it in his time at Michigan State.

Now it’s Jake Hartbarger’s turn. The 6-foot-4, 209-pound freshman looks like he could play linebacker, but he’s taking over at punter after four years of Mike Sadler — MSU’s first four-time Academic All-American — and four years of Aaron Bates before him.

Sadler said before MSU’s win over Baylor in the Cotton Bowl that Hartbarger has the tools to be an all-time great. Hartbarger arrived from Waterville, Ohio, in the fall as the nation’s No. 1 punter according 247Sports.com, but Dantonio said Tuesday that he’s still on the learning curve.

Freshman Hartbarger up next at punter for MSU

Sadler had an uncanny ability to pin punts inside the 15 yard line. Hopefully some of it rubbed off on Hartbarger.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Apr - 21:11

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 CCLKMdkWIAEbZiT
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Apr - 7:07

EAST LANSING -- Michigan State's "No Fly Zone" secondary is going through another revamp, with a pair of new starters and its position coach taking on co-defensive coordinator duties.

As the lone senior projected starter and one of only two on the two-deep roster in the position group, safety RJ Williamson knows his role is key this spring in leading his transition group through that transition.

"I'm more comfortable out there, me being the leader and being the guy that other guys look up and question and need answers from," Williamson said on Tuesday after the team's ninth of 15 spring practices. "I have to be that guy."

Safety RJ Williamson takes on leadership role in new-look Michigan State secondary
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Apr - 7:25

East Lansing — Last week, Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said his team was game ready three weeks into spring practice.

After the first scrimmage Friday, one in which the defense got the best of the offense, Dantonio hasn't changed his stance.

"We're game ready," he said Tuesday. "I think we can go out and play a game tomorrow. I think we have enough players to be able to do that. We worked hard on special teams and things of that nature.

"Are we going to play well enough to win a championship? Not right now. But we are game ready and we can play."

'We're game ready,' MSU's Dantonio says
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Apr - 7:50

EAST LANSING -- Michigan State has ranked in the top 10 in the nation in total defense the past four seasons, but coach Mark Dantonio knows the need for change when he sees it.

All Dantonio and the Spartans had to do was look on the scoreboard against the three ranked teams they played last season: Oregon, Ohio State and Baylor combined for 136 points. The other 10 MSU opponents had a total of 144.

There's no way around it, Michigan State's vaunted "press quarters" scheme was toasted by elite spread teams on three occasions, and with former defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi moved on to Pittsburgh, Dantonio has set to work to tweak some things.

Mark Dantonio expanding Michigan State football defense beyond vaunted press quarters scheme
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed 15 Apr - 11:47

LooseGoose wrote:
EAST LANSING -- Michigan State has ranked in the top 10 in the nation in total defense the past four seasons, but coach Mark Dantonio knows the need for change when he sees it.

All Dantonio and the Spartans had to do was look on the scoreboard against the three ranked teams they played last season: Oregon, Ohio State and Baylor combined for 136 points. The other 10 MSU opponents had a total of 144.

There's no way around it, Michigan State's vaunted "press quarters" scheme was toasted by elite spread teams on three occasions, and with former defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi moved on to Pittsburgh, Dantonio has set to work to tweak some things.

Mark Dantonio expanding Michigan State football defense beyond vaunted press quarters scheme

Interesting, but says nothing about the actual tweaks. Guess we'll have to wait until August for that.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Apr - 12:03

Heat Miser wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Interesting, but says nothing about the actual tweaks. Guess we'll have to wait until August for that.

Or until SRC hires our own fucking analyst.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed 15 Apr - 12:11

LooseGoose wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Or until SRC hires our own fucking analyst.

Umm... hello, but I've been churning out stuff left and right here. Quality too.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed 15 Apr - 12:15

LooseGoose wrote:

Now this is interesting.

I had a couple of "Have teams figured out Narduzzi" secret thoughts last year I'm ashamed to admit, however, it is interesting that we are changing things up a bit after he leaves. I'm sure it somewhat coincidental, I mean, we were torched by good teams last year but still...

SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Apr - 12:27

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 CCo5_JpW8AAcMMy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Apr - 12:33

"All [Mark] Dantonio and the Spartans had to do was look on the scoreboard against the three ranked teams they played last season. Oregon, Ohio State and Baylor combined for 136 points. The other 10 MSU opponents had a total of 144.

"There's no way around it, Michigan State's vaunted 'press quarters' scheme was toasted by elite spread teams on three occasions, and with former defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi moved on to Pittsburgh, Dantonio has set to work to tweak some things.

"'We're doing some different things -- we have to,' said Dantonio."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/117962/spring-check-up-michigan-state
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Apr - 6:09

Rexrode
Inexperienced Holmes, London battling for MSU RB spot

MLive
Gerald Holmes seizing opportunity as only Michigan State running back with game experience
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 16 Apr - 6:17

Found on ESPN's CFB front page this morning.  Pretty cool, but why does Hardouche get center stage?

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 B1gcoa10

B1G stacks up well in future nonconference scheduling
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Apr - 6:30

Floyd Robertson wrote:Found on ESPN's CFB front page this morning.  Pretty cool, but why does Hardouche get center stage?

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 B1gcoa10

B1G stacks up well in future nonconference scheduling

Only a numbskull would ask that question. The greatest living coach should always be front and center. In 4 months he's singlehandedly revived B1GTen football, rescued little old ladies, supported American sniper and operated on Spike Albrecht's hips!! You my friend should be on your knees thanking God that you're allowed to breathe the same air as Coach Jim Harbaugh.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Apr - 6:31

If only LT played for Coach Jim Harbaugh, he might make something of himself.

EAST LANSING – Inside and outside, on either side, Lawrence Thomas feels at home.

The Detroit Renaissance product and Michigan State fifth-year-senior-to-be said this week he has a grasp on the entire defensive line and is fine playing anywhere on it.

"No matter what the situation is, I'm always comfortable wherever I'm at," Thomas said. "I'm equally comfortable in all spots, and that's the beauty of it. I can just go out there and be relaxed and know everybody's position. When you know everybody's position, that makes the game easier for you."

MSU's Thomas comfortable playing anywhere on D-line
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Apr - 9:05

tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 CCtw3u2VIAE19-P
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu 16 Apr - 9:19

LooseGoose wrote:tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 CCtw3u2VIAE19-P

Don't look now, but there's a torso on Connor Cook's head
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Thu 16 Apr - 9:52

LooseGoose wrote:tOfficial Spring Football 2015 Thread - Page 2 CCtw3u2VIAE19-P

No open alcohol containers so I'm boycotting.

Regards,

Losers
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next