Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warner play calling at OSU.

+3
steveschneider
duffy munn
DWags
7 posters

Go down

Warner play calling at OSU.  Empty Warner play calling at OSU.

Post by DWags 24/11/15, 10:43 pm

I know it seems weird but he really mixed it up Mir than we thought Saturday. From between the tackles then option to straight power and misdirection with pulling guards. But on our last td he impressed me with taking advantage of what presented itself

For example, on the 4th and 8 on the 35 Bosa jumps. It goes to 4th and 3. But now Warner runs the option right at Bosa. Bosa was so slow off the ball because he didn't want to jump again that Price was able to shove him inside, leave him and go get another key block sending O'connor up field.

I can't say Warner did that on purpose, but it was very obvious Bosa became timid after getting flagged the play before.

It's fascinating watching this shit again.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Warner play calling at OSU.  Empty Re: Warner play calling at OSU.

Post by DWags 24/11/15, 10:45 pm

And fucking Williams is a full grown man.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 24/11/15, 11:10 pm

I really wanted him to call the touchdown play more often. He only called it twice.

Seriously though, I think he has been solid all year. The only call I really wish he hadn't made was the Lyles jet sweep against Nebraska. I'm sure he wishes he had it back too.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 24/11/15, 11:16 pm

Ironic OSU used miller on a jet sweep on their last offensive play. It didn't work either
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 24/11/15, 11:19 pm

DWags wrote:And fucking Williams is a full grown man.

He was unbelievable. I was super drunk but I remember him breaking tackles and dragging the pile on a few plays.

Really liking O'connors ability to run the ball as well. With him in there our offense sort of reminds me of North Westerns offense.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 24/11/15, 11:21 pm

DWags wrote:
For example, on the 4th and 8 on the 35 Bosa jumps. It goes to 4th and 3. But now Warner runs the option right at Bosa. Bosa was so slow off the ball because he didn't want to jump again that Price was able to shove him inside, leave him and go get another key block sending O'connor up field.  

Bit of a tangent...

Bosa da Clown.  Most overrated player in college football.  Check his stats vs. legit opponents the last two years.  He pads his stats against bad teams.  Good luck the to team that drafts him.

MSU 0 sacks / 0 TFLs
Wisky BTCG 0 sacks / 0 TFLs
Bama 0 sacks / 0 TFLs
Oregon 0 sacks / 1 TFL

MSU 0 sacks / 0 TFLs / 3 offsides
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 24/11/15, 11:24 pm

How about Jim Bollman?

I have to say, our OL was a huge weakness for Dantonio until he showed up.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 24/11/15, 11:25 pm

Still mind boggling to me that OSU didn't try to test the secondary more often. The one play where they did in the first half Miller had Cox beaten by 3 steps and Barrett just overthrew him. Granted, he got drilled on the play (I think by Harris??) but still. It blows my mind that they didn't try again until they were desperate and throwing into the win (and great coverage by Arjen btw - I won't try to spell his last name). 

Will be curious to see how OSU plays this week. I will be tailgating so I won't get to.

Sorry to deviate. Yes, I agree, Warner called a very good game. I am really excited to see how our OL performs Saturday. I have this crazy thought in my head that we might finally be transforming into a monster.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 24/11/15, 11:27 pm

DWags wrote:Ironic OSU used miller on a jet sweep on their last offensive play. It didn't work either

Everyone is ripping Meyer's play calling but ours was not much different. Weather dictated the play calling. QB read options, some power, some jet, short passes and each took a shot or two downfield. Difference was we dominated both lines of scrimmage and executed.

The defensive pounding reminded me of Mich 2013. We pounded Gardner... we broke Gardner for the rest of the year and arguably the rest of his career . Barrett had a Gardner look in his eyes midway through the 2nd quarter.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 24/11/15, 11:30 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Still mind boggling to me that OSU didn't try to test the secondary more often. The one play where they did in the first half Miller had Cox beaten by 3 steps and Barrett just overthrew him. Granted, he got drilled on the play (I think by Harris??) but still.

This... Barrett was getting drilled.

Not enough throws downfield, not enough touches for Elliott... bottom line I think they only ran something like 45 offensive plays. We took away the option pitch to Elliott. Weather took away some of the downfield game, but our pressure did as well.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 24/11/15, 11:56 pm

Nordic wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Still mind boggling to me that OSU didn't try to test the secondary more often. The one play where they did in the first half Miller had Cox beaten by 3 steps and Barrett just overthrew him. Granted, he got drilled on the play (I think by Harris??) but still.

Not enough throws downfield, not enough touches for Elliott... bottom line I think they only ran something like 45 offensive plays. We took away the option pitch to Elliott.  Weather took away some of the downfield game, but our pressure did as well.
All true. But I think if I was OSU's OC, I would have shitcanned my gameplan at halftime. 

I would have come out in the 3rd Q, with the wind, and I would have put Barret in the shotgun and I would have thrown every down. If the D was on Barret that quick than I would have done short to intermediate routes. I would have at least shown a few more go routes with a safety isolated on Miller or Jaylin Marhsall. 

We played it perfect but at the same time I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when the 3rd quarter ended without them taking another shot down the field. 

The good news is I think we are really gaining some traction with Arjen and Hicks and Nicholson. I think these dudes might actually be developing into plus players. I'm not so sure about Cox.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 25/11/15, 12:08 am

I agree with this. They took the wind in the 3rd quarter (for whatever reason) and played pussy get fucked.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 25/11/15, 09:12 am

Nordic wrote:

Not enough throws downfield, not enough touches for Elliott... bottom line I think they only ran something like 45 offensive plays. We took away the option pitch to Elliott. Weather took away some of the downfield game, but our pressure did as well.
A poster on Spartanmag pointed out that Elliot had about the same percentage of touches as he usually has, and if they ran their typical 60+ plays, he'd have had 20+ touches. About two thirds of his carries were for 3 yards or less. Only run over 5 yards was for a whopping 7.

As for OSU's passing, after re-watching the game, there isn't much to justify that they should have thrown more. Their big gain of the day through the air was 16 yards, and even that was a short crossing route that got to the outside. Other than that, they averaged just 4 yards per completion and 2 yards per attempt. Barrett was looking down field while rolling out on a lot of those runs of his. Whether designed passes or run/pass options, credit to our pass defense.

The other important point of their passing game is, as was said, Barrett was getting drilled. And it was pretty much all game. Even if he were indestructible, to keep trying to throw downfield, the OSU coaches would have to assume that he would continue to get rid of it a split second before getting nailed, and/or that the pressure would not impact his decision making and accuracy (it clearly was impacted on many of the throws, such as the deep ball to Braxton).

I think the weather made them more hesitant to be risky by throwing more, but our D is what made it so much more of a risk in the first place.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 25/11/15, 09:19 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Nordic wrote:

A poster on Spartanmag pointed out that Elliot had about the same percentage of touches as he usually has, and if they ran their typical 60+ plays, he'd have had 20+ touches. About two thirds of his carries were for 3 yards or less. Only run over 5 yards was for a whopping 7.

As for OSU's passing, after re-watching the game, there isn't much to justify that they should have thrown more. Their big gain of the day through the air was 16 yards, and even that was a short crossing route that got to the outside. Other than that, they averaged just 4 yards per completion and 2 yards per attempt. Barrett was looking down field while rolling out on a lot of those runs of his. Whether designed passes or run/pass options, credit to our pass defense.

The other important point of their passing game is, as was said, Barrett was getting drilled. And it was pretty much all game. Even if he were indestructible, to keep trying to throw downfield, the OSU coaches would have to assume that he would continue to get rid of it a split second before getting nailed, and/or that the pressure would not impact his decision making and accuracy (it clearly was impacted on many of the throws, such as the deep ball to Braxton).

I think the weather made them more hesitant to be risky by throwing more, but our D is what made it so much more of a risk in the first place.

Our defense gets very little credit for shutting down OSU. It's been all about so-called bad play calling by Urb. Seemed to me they were trying to run the same stuff that burned us big last year, but we fucking drilled them instead.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down