Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money

+8
Cym Jim
Other Teams Pursuing That
Son of Sparta
I.B. Fine
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Rocinante
Giant Moose
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money Empty Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money

Post by Giant Moose 2016-01-13, 15:43

A California attorney who unsuccessfully sued the government at least twice challenging the use of the phrase “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance has filed a federal lawsuit in Ohio challenging a similar phrase on U.S. currency and coins.

Sacramento attorney Michael Newdow filed the lawsuit Monday in Akron. The lawsuit argues the phrase “In God We Trust” on U.S. money is unconstitutional and violates separation of church and state. The lawsuit wants the phrase prohibited from use on money.

The lawsuit represents 41 plaintiffs from Ohio and Michigan, including many unnamed parents and children who are atheists or are being raised as atheists. Defendants include Congress and various federal agencies.

http://wtop.com/politics/2016/01/lawsuit-in-ohio-challenges-in-god-we-trust-use-on-us-money/

Twisted Evil
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money Empty Re: Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-13, 15:51

We should change it to happy holidays.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money Empty Re: Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money

Post by Giant Moose 2016-01-13, 15:53

The U.S. should sell that space for advertisements (and to pay the lawsuit).
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-13, 15:53

it makes a mockery of both currency and religion with "In God We Trust" written on money.. however, both do a great job mocking itself already, so I don't expect that to change... not in America, anyway.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-13, 15:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it makes a mockery of both currency and religion with "In God We Trust" written on money.. however, both do a great job mocking itself already, so I don't expect that to change... not in America, anyway.

Yeah it would be better if all our currency had "Fuck Religion" on it instead.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-13, 15:55

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:it makes a mockery of both currency and religion with "In God We Trust" written on money.. however, both do a great job mocking itself already, so I don't expect that to change... not in America, anyway.

Happy holidays should suffice. No reason to be vulgar.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-01-13, 15:55

Actually on second thought, we should change it to "In Guns We Trust".
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-13, 15:58

LooseGoose wrote:

seems no more ridiculous than "In God We Trust"
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-13, 15:59

as I mentioned, of course religion and money have such close ties with each other - as they mock themselves in such a glowing fashion..

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money Lakewood_interior

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-01-13, 16:01

Praise Jesus
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-13, 16:02

LooseGoose wrote:

Now this is something I can support.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-01-13, 16:04

I think it should say "May the Force Be With You"
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-13, 16:13

Rocinante wrote:I think it should say "May the Force Be With You"

Yeah, but the new movie sucked.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-01-13, 16:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Agreed, but that doesn't mean the Force isn't real, dude.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-13, 16:24

Live long and prosper. V
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-13, 16:36

Rocinante wrote:

What would you say has a better shot at being real, a god or the force?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-01-13, 16:52

Rocinante wrote:

What would you say has a better shot at being real, a god or the force?

I think the force being real is more true than that we will win Powerball.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Sparta 2016-01-13, 17:08

Well, I for one am outraged that something that I don't believe in would be on money and I have been severely wounded by this grave injustice that has existed my entire life, my parents entire life, etc.

I demand reparations, an apology, and a firm but caressing foot rub from the leading presidential candidate of each political party (except the Green Party....I can't handle the smell of patchouli oil).
Son of Sparta
Son of Sparta
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-13, 17:15

Just to be clear, this is where political threads go? I just want to make sure.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-13, 17:19

Turtleneck wrote:Just to be clear, this is where political threads go? I just want to make sure.

I feel like this thread is more about religion rather than politics.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-13, 17:21

Turtleneck wrote:Just to be clear, this is where political threads go? I just want to make sure.

It's about the use of the word God on money and the plaintiff's interpretation of the 1st Amendment's establishment clause. Seems overtly political...as in the extent to which religion and politics should be intertwined.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-13, 17:24

Turtleneck wrote:

It's about the use of the word God on money and the plaintiff's interpretation of the 1st Amendment's establishment clause. Seems overtly political...as in the extent to which religion and politics should be intertwined.

Soooo if I don't move this thread.. you're going to post 10 threads about Obama tomorrow?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-01-13, 17:27

Wait until Trump takes office and replaces God with Trump.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-01-13, 17:27

I thought it was about douchebags with too much time on their hands, but that would make it about all of us.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-13, 17:44

Turtleneck wrote:

Soooo if I don't move this thread.. you're going to post 10 threads about Obama tomorrow?

20. But not all about Obama.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Sparta 2016-01-14, 13:07

Turtleneck wrote:

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money 6d15c286438f32eefcd9dfb6c39b09d51cf2ee677fe419de47fbf21f2479624d
Son of Sparta
Son of Sparta
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-14, 14:14

Abolish them both.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-14, 14:17

Son of Sparta wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money 6d15c286438f32eefcd9dfb6c39b09d51cf2ee677fe419de47fbf21f2479624d

Out of respect for the board, I will not plaster the main board with political threads...today. However, I am in possession of a powerful and fully loaded RSS feed that could be deployed whenever and wherever.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2016-01-14, 14:23; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-14, 14:20

xsanguine wrote:

Abolish them both.

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money 969504605
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-14, 14:24

Turtleneck wrote:
Son of Sparta wrote:

Out respect for the board, I will not plaster the main board with political threads...today. However, I am in possession of a powerful and fully loaded RSS feed that could be deployed whenever and wherever.

Let me bow down and worship you for resisting your urges to be a destructive child - you've got Bob beaten on that one.

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money 1486952199 Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money 2376398117 Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money 1486952199
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-14, 14:25

xsanguine wrote:

Abolish them both.

So you feel we should abolish people's natural right to spirituality and worship? I thought you and X were about freedom?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2016-01-14, 14:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:as I mentioned, of course religion and money have such close ties with each other - as they mock themselves in such a glowing fashion..

Now that's a white out.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 14:47

Cym Jim wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:as I mentioned, of course religion and money have such close ties with each other - as they mock themselves in such a glowing fashion..

Now that's a white out.
the racial diversity in this audience of fine Americans is nothing but staggering.. I truly admire their willingness to reach out to people from all cultural backgrounds.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-14, 15:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:
Now that's a white out.
the racial diversity in this audience of fine Americans is nothing but staggering.. I truly admire their willingness to reach out to people from all cultural backgrounds.

Let's see.

Bob posts picture of a church full of all white people.

Cym points this out.

Bob gets to make supposedly pithy observation on the racism of religious people.

Goddamn that's some clever posting right there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-14, 15:23

Turtleneck wrote:

So you feel we should abolish people's natural right to spirituality and worship? I thought you and X were about freedom?

I'm standing (sitting) right here, dawg.

Kill 'em all... Let Hermoor sort 'em out.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 15:26

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the racial diversity in this audience of fine Americans is nothing but staggering.. I truly admire their willingness to reach out to people from all cultural backgrounds.

Let's see.

Cym points this out.

Bob gets to make supposedly pithy observation on the racism of religious people.

on behalf of Cym Jim and myself, you're welcome.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-14, 15:29

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the racial diversity in this audience of fine Americans is nothing but staggering.. I truly admire their willingness to reach out to people from all cultural backgrounds.

Let's see.

Cym points this out.

Have you met Bob?

He's a good dude... He'll try to pull your chain with hyperbole and straw men but it's all in good fu. You guys should stick around and get to know one another....

Now I'll let you two be. Have fun you two. Behave!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 15:33

xsanguine wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Let's see.

Cym points this out.

Have you met Bob?

He's a good dude... He'll try to pull your chain with hyperbole and straw men but it's all in good fu. You guys should stick around and get to know one another....

Lawsuit challenges ‘In God We Trust’ use on U.S. money 502811600

thanks, man. You're a great American and a damn fine Spartan.

(I hope it's okay with the other posters that I said that... I'd hate to upset them with my opinion on something)
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-14, 15:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Have you met Bob?

(I hope it's okay with the other posters that I said that... I'd hate to upset them with my opinion on something)

I have you on ignore so I didn't have to see this post. Which is nice.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-14, 15:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Have you met Bob?

You're a much better American than I, Bob. And your hatred for Jim H and everything Michigan is unparalleled.

I'm also quoting this for Travis' benefit.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next