Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole?

5 posters

Go down

Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole? Empty Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole?

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-14, 13:12

A Missouri Politician Wants Cyclists to Ride With 15-Foot-Tall, Fluorescent-Orange Flags

A pole rising 15 feet into the air with a fluorescent-orange flag at the top—such an object could have many uses, like hailing a rescue helicopter or fending off aggressive raccoons.

But Missouri State Representative Jay Houghton has a different idea. The Republican pol and swine finishing facility manager is pushing a bill that would require cyclists to carry these goofy rods ostensibly for safety reasons—though just whose safety, cyclists or drivers, isn’t specified. Here’s the amendment in its entirety:

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/01/missouri-politician-cyclists-bike-ride-orange-flag-jay-houghton/424077/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole? Empty Re: Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 13:18

Turtleneck wrote:A Missouri Politician Wants Cyclists to Ride With 15-Foot-Tall, Fluorescent-Orange Flags

A pole rising 15 feet into the air with a fluorescent-orange flag at the top—such an object could have many uses, like hailing a rescue helicopter or fending off aggressive raccoons.

But Missouri State Representative Jay Houghton has a different idea. The Republican pol and swine finishing facility manager is pushing a bill that would require cyclists to carry these goofy rods ostensibly for safety reasons—though just whose safety, cyclists or drivers, isn’t specified. Here’s the amendment in its entirety:

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/01/missouri-politician-cyclists-bike-ride-orange-flag-jay-houghton/424077/
Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole? 502811600

I've got 4 bikes that I might ride at different times.. a) that's a lot of pole (that's what she said), b) it doesn't seem to promote the aerodynamics of a bike, c) it would be difficult to ride a bike on a trail through the woods with a 15 foot pole attached to it and d) aren't republicans supposed to get government out of people's lives? Or are they just hypocritical.. I've never thought of a republican as hypocritical. Hmmm.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole? Empty Re: Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole?

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-14, 13:38

I think God spoke to him and asked him to write this legislation.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 13:41

Turtleneck wrote:I think God spoke to him and asked him to write this legislation.
oh, okay - yeah.. I can see where god would like 15 foot poles on bikes.. it's right there in the bible.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-14, 13:48

The bill isn't for hippy mountain bikes.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 13:55

NigelUno wrote:The bill isn't for hippy mountain bikes.
that's good..

but if I lived in Missouri underneath republican/jesus tyranny, I'd have to have a 15 foot pole on my bike if this freedom-lovin' American had his way?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-14, 14:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:but if I lived in Missouri underneath republican/jesus tyranny, I'd have to have a 15 foot pole on my bike if this freedom-lovin' American had his way?

And the author of this played out schtick talks about other threads being "riveting".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-14, 14:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:The bill isn't for hippy mountain bikes.
that's good..

but if I lived in Missouri underneath republican/jesus tyranny, I'd have to have a 15 foot pole on my bike if this freedom-lovin' American had his way?

I think it's a bill. As a state Rep, I believe he has the freedom to write bills. That doesn't mean it will become law. It would have to get voted on and stuff...that's the way our country works. Maybe tractors are on the roads and are running over kids on bikes because they can't see them (and the 15 foot pole with an orange flag would help save lives).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 14:23

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:that's good..

I think it's a bill. As a state Rep, I believe he has the freedom to write bills. That doesn't mean it will become law. It would have to get voted on and stuff...that's the way our country works. Maybe tractors are on the roads and are running over kids on bikes because they can't see them (and the 15 foot pole with an orange flag would help save lives).
but by writing the bill you would assume that he endorses its content, right?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-14, 14:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I would think so. But, I'm sure he also endorses how a bill becomes a law, and understands that not all bills become laws (and that bills can become modified a bit). Maybe there is a legitimate safety concern for bikers in Missouri that needs to be addressed. I would hate to think that someone wouldn't write legislation just because they were afraid it would get voted down (or that some compromise couldn't be reached to ensure biker safety).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-14, 14:35

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I say shit I don't really mean on the swill basically everyday.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-14, 14:36

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:but by writing the bill you would assume that he endorses its content, right?

I say shit I don't really mean on the swill basically everyday.

It's politics.

He can propose a crazy solution to highlight a (possibly) legit issue (biker safety), and then public awareness is heightened and lives are saved.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 14:43

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:but by writing the bill you would assume that he endorses its content, right?

I would think so. But, I'm sure he also endorses how a bill becomes a law, and understands that not all bills become laws (and that bills can become modified a bit). Maybe there is a legitimate safety concern for bikers in Missouri that needs to be addressed. I would hate to think that someone wouldn't write legislation just because they were afraid it would get voted down (or that some compromise couldn't be reached to ensure biker safety).
maybe he should write legislation intended to make motorists more cognizant and respectful of cyclists.. Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole? 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-01-14, 15:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

maybe he should write legislation intended to make motorists more cognizant and respectful of cyclists.. Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole? 2599972566

Motorists would be more cognizant and respectful of cyclists if they could clearly see them from further distances with bright orange flags. Bob, would it be inconvenient for you to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole? 2599972566

I'm sure the cyclists have someone that could meet with him to discuss it and reach a compromise. That's how things get done.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-14, 15:07

Sounds like a Daesh trap. Bob the terrorist could assemble a hollow pole and use it as a surface-to-air missile launcher. Hiding a weapon of war in plain sight = genius.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 15:11

tGreenWay wrote:Sounds like a Daesh trap. Bob the terrorist could assemble a hollow pole and use it as a surface-to-air missile launcher. Hiding a weapon of war in plain sight = genius.
I ain't goin' out at the hands of some Daeshbag.. that's for damn sure.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-14, 15:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Sounds like a Daesh trap. Bob the terrorist could assemble a hollow pole and use it as a surface-to-air missile launcher. Hiding a weapon of war in plain sight = genius.
I ain't goin' out at the hands of some Daeshbag.. that's for damn sure.

And you won't, if we just can just ban all the mooslams.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-14, 15:27

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I ain't goin' out at the hands of some Daeshbag.. that's for damn sure.

all we have to do is elect Trump.. and we'll Make America White Again.

#WhitePower #Trump2016
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-14, 15:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

From your lips to God's ears. Amen. A-white-men.

all we have to do is elect Trump.. and we'll Make America White Again.

#WhitePower #Trump2016
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down