Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shootings in-near Frandor. Avoid area.

+13
Les Grossman
Cym Jim
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
Phil McCrackin
Bill Cain
MasonGuy
TrueGreenSpartan
Rocinante
Green Note
duffy munn
steveschneider
Sparty2QP
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shootings in-near Frandor. Avoid area. - Page 2 Empty Re: Shootings in-near Frandor. Avoid area.

Post by NigelUno 2014-05-12, 15:04

Phil McCrackin wrote:

I'm saying that there is an "expectation of violence" in a bank, even if it's never been robbed before.

No one would open a bank (or a pharmacy) without installing some form of security measures.

BoA near me has a security guard in the parking lot when they're open.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Shootings in-near Frandor. Avoid area. - Page 2 Empty Re: Shootings in-near Frandor. Avoid area.

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-05-12, 15:15

Shootings in-near Frandor. Avoid area. - Page 2 BndEDrPCIAAyAWn

RT @DimmerOlivia: Armored car is moving closer to the home and delivered a phone to person inside

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-05-12, 15:16

Rocinante wrote:

You said "the entire planet has an expectation of violence" and proceeded to list of security measures.  That's where my initial point about hyper-vigilance came from.  Then you argued against my point, which admittedly is only marginally related to the incident, so I'll let it lie.  My point is (and always has been) that the "expectation of violence" is a fallacy that is perpetuated by interests that profit from it.  Our country is by and large a safe place (in spite of, not due to the interpretation of the second amendment).  

Banks Pharmacies, hell Toy Stores have the right to put whatever measures in place they want to, but to say they "should" is ignorant in my opinion and a slippery slope of counterproductive hyper-vigilance that sets a bad precedent about what a functional society is.  Is it "us and them" or is it just "us"?

Again, philosophical, but relevant to me, if not to you.  

It sucks that this happened.  pointless loss of life is never okay.

I think you have confused me with MasonGuy, who said "the entire planet has an expectation of violence" and proceeded to list of security measures (none of which involved pharmacists or everyone else arming themselves).

I don't think toy stores have the same expectation of violence that a bank or a pharmacy has, but I think any store dealing with cash or inventory should have some security precautions in place, and I don't think that makes me a counterproductive hyper vigilante.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-05-12, 15:20

Phil McCrackin wrote:

I think you have confused me with MasonGuy, who said "the entire planet has an expectation of violence" and proceeded to list of security measures (none of which involved pharmacists or everyone else arming themselves).

I don't think toy stores have the same expectation of violence that a bank or a pharmacy has, but I think any store dealing with cash or inventory should have some security precautions in place, and I don't think that makes me a counterproductive hyper vigilante.

On a related note, none of the pharmacies in the city I live in have any security beyond a lock on the door and (some have) a locked cabinet for schedule 3 drugs. Also, none of the banks have full time security.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Les Grossman 2014-05-12, 15:25

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Shootings in-near Frandor. Avoid area. - Page 2 BndEDrPCIAAyAWn

RT @DimmerOlivia:  Armored car is moving closer to the home and delivered a phone to person inside

LSJ reporting that the standoff appears to be over "without incident" but of course doesn't explain in detail. Dear God, that paper reads like it was written by a 3rd grader.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/viewart/20140512/NEWS01/305120020/Standoff-appears-over-neighbor-says-suspected-shooter-had-2-hour-shouting-match-Sunday
Les Grossman
Les Grossman
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-05-12, 15:48

Rocinante wrote:

On a related note, none of the pharmacies in the city I live in have any security beyond a lock on the door and (some have) a locked cabinet for schedule 3 drugs.  Also, none of the banks have full time security.

Maybe it's a matter of perspective.

"I'm sure there are some pharmacies that don't have these security measures..."
Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-05-12, 16:01

Detnews titles the article...
[size=30]Suspect in custody after shootings near MSU campus[/size]
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueGreenSpartan 2014-05-12, 16:04

Mayor Tripplett reporting the "shelter in place" has been lifted.
TrueGreenSpartan
TrueGreenSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ 2014-05-12, 20:44

Shootings in-near Frandor. Avoid area. - Page 2 14925945-large Bit crazy for a Monday.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/05/east_lansing_neighborhood_turn.html

MJ
MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2