Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?

+11
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
InTenSity
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Dr. Strangelove
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
Ass Dan
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
15 posters

Go down

Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?  Empty Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 12:31

Big topic of discussion from the NBA 'experts' these days. Barkley has made it well known he believes the Bulls team would crush this years Warriors team.

I'm getting to the point where there's too much mystique and love around the good old days of the NBA. I think the players today are faster, stronger, can shoot better, play above the rim better and do everything the old players did at a higher level. Basketball is like a science that keeps improving.

With all things equal (training, rules contact/or freedom of movement) I think the Warriors beat the 96 Bulls.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?  Empty Re: Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 12:33

steveschneider wrote:
I'm getting to the point where there's too much mystique and love around the good old days of the NBA. I think the players today are faster, stronger, can shoot better, play above the rim better and do everything the old players did at a higher level. Basketball is like a science that keeps improving.

*cough* Turtleneck *cough*
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?  Empty Re: Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?

Post by Ass Dan 2016-01-27, 12:36

Too young to remember those Bulls, but this is the best NBA team I've ever watched.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 12:37

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

What's your .02 OTPT? Trying to get a sports discussion.

I loved the 80's NBA best ball I've ever seen in my life in terms of rivalries, games, series, personalities and so on. That being said, the level of ball in todays NBA is superior. I'd love it if somehow a time machine could put the worst team today vs. the best teams back then. I hear all these folks saying today's players can't pass, can't defend, couldn't handle the physical nature of the game...I say bullshit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-27, 12:39

Actually, you might be a bit surprised. I disagree with Barkley. He is just holding on. If GS wins 70 and repeats, you have to consider they are just as good. If not just as good, pretty close. I'm not willing to say better if that makes you happy.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 12:49

steveschneider wrote:

I loved the 80's NBA best ball I've ever seen in my life in terms of rivalries, games, series, personalities and so on. That being said, the level of ball in todays NBA is superior. I'd love it if somehow a time machine could put the worst team today vs. the best teams back then. I hear all these folks saying today's players can't pass, can't defend, couldn't handle the physical nature of the game...I say bullshit.

Honestly - I'm too young to compare eras for certain and I think it's difficult to do even if you're as old as d wags. Outside of some replays on NBA tv, documentaries about Magic, and some highlights I don't think I've seen enough to judge it objectively.

With that said, every team that is playing in a current era is on an even playing field. So I think if the Warriors were able to beat/tie the Bulls record, that is just as impressive as it was back then.

The way they move the ball, run the fast break, and shoot is just fucking magical to watch. Look at the games when the Warriors have played the best of the East (Cavs) and the 2nd best in the West, they blew them the fuck out. I really think they were sending a message. Good luck beating them in a 7 game series, alone beat them once.

It's cool to see a Spartan being right in the middle of it, and he facilitates so much on that offense.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-27, 12:53

not sure about the '96 Bulls..  I'd put them between the '85 Bears and the '72 Dolphins..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-01-27, 12:58

Let's wait and see if they win a title.

Anyway best teams I ever saw:
1983 Sixers. Moses, Doc, Toney, Cheeks. Fo Fo Fo
1986 Celtics: Big Three, Ainge, Johnson and Walton
1985 Lakers: Probably the best Magic team
1996 Bulls: 72 wins
1989 Pistons: First title team

Today's Warriors or Cavs would have serious issues with the top three teams on this list because who's going to guard Moses, McHale, Parrish or Kareem? Also we're playing with 80s "No layup rules"

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on 2016-01-27, 13:01; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 12:59

FYI - Mavericks @ Warriors on ESPN at 10:30 ET
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-27, 13:03

steveschneider wrote:

Weird
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 13:08

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Let's wait and see if they win a title.

Today's Warriors or Cavs would have serious issues with the top three teams on this list because who's going to guard Moses, McHale, Parrish or Kareem? Also we're playing with 80s "No layup rules"

I'd add at least one of the Spurs teams to that list, and I think the Heat team that beat the Thunder/Spurs was pretty damn good as well.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 13:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:FYI - Mavericks @ Warriors on ESPN at 10:30 ET

That Warriors Spurs game was a total dud. The Grizzlies Magic game that was on right before it had a great finish. Will try to catch a bit of that game tonight.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-01-27, 13:13

Hard to compare different eras.
Different NBA officiating from what we see today.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 13:14

Just saw your addition. The counter is who on those teams could cover Steph? Even with the 'no layup rules' the players today are just so much more athletic.

They'd get above the rim for rebounds better than those players, close in on shooters quicker for the block and would transition up the floor faster for dunks.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 13:17

GRR Spartan wrote:Hard to compare different eras.
Different NBA officiating from what we see today.

I think there is a difference between saying "this 2016 team would beat this 1996 team" and saying who is more dominant or better with all things considered.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-01-27, 13:23

I hated the Bulls. I hated Jordan, I hated Pippen, I hated the whole team. It broke my heart when Rodman went to the Bulls. BTW, they couldn't do shit until he showed up. The NBA is supposedly the strongest its ever been right now and Warriors are just tearing it up. They don't even play their best 5 players together that often.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-01-27, 13:39

Hard to say. The current NBA is better than the mid-90s NBA in my opinion so the Warriors may be better. But that Bulls team was pretty damn good. Ask me again if the Warriors win it all.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-01-27, 14:21

steveschneider wrote:

Just saw your addition. The counter is who on those teams could cover Steph? Even with the 'no layup rules' the players today are just so much more athletic.

They'd get above the rim for rebounds better than those players, close in on shooters quicker for the block and would transition up the floor faster for dunks.

First Curry would be hit everytime he drove the lane.

Sixers would put Cheeks on him
Celts would put DJ on him
Lakers would put Scott on him
Bulls would have to rotate Armstrong and Jordan
Pistons would put Dumars

Look it's not I reached back to 70s or earlier - I'm old but not that old. All those teams could and did run and they all had at least two HoF'ers.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 14:58

They would hit him - and then foul out.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 15:00

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:They would hit him - and then foul out.

I just don't buy it that the current teams couldn't take as well as dish it right back out.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-01-27, 15:06

Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?  You-serious-clark-o

We'll have Earl Strom and Hugh Evans calling the game and we don't need a third ref
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-01-27, 15:07

In this hypothetical, which era refs are we using?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 15:08

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?  You-serious-clark-o

We'll have Earl Strom and Hugh Evans calling the game and we don't need a third ref

Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?  1966794946 Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?  1966794946 Is this years Warriors team better than the 96 Bulls?  1966794946

That was pure gold, Dr.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 15:09

steveschneider wrote:

I just don't buy it that the current teams couldn't take as well as dish it right back out.

It's just another lame assumption that stems from "my generation is tougher than yours" bullshit.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-01-27, 15:50

No one could check Curry
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-27, 16:01

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

In this hypothetical, which era refs are we using?

I think for the Warriors it wouldn't matter which era you used. I think they win either way.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-01-27, 16:17

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

First Curry would be hit everytime he drove the lane.

Sixers would put Cheeks on him
Celts would put DJ on him
Lakers would put Scott on him
Bulls would have to rotate Armstrong and Jordan
Pistons would put Dumars

Look it's not I reached back to 70s or earlier - I'm old but not that old. All those teams could and did run and they all had at least two HoF'ers.

Agree that Curry would spend a lot time on the deck.

But I don't think any of the guys you mentioned could check him. He's unreal.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-27, 16:45

Is this year's Warriors' team jerseys better than the 96 Bulls'?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-27, 22:48

bump - Warriors vs Mavs on ESPN now
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-28, 08:15

Beat Dallas by 20.

Saw that sbnation had a computer simulated game of the Warriors vs 96 bulls and the Warriors won.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-28, 09:56

While I was at the gym last night they were running a segment on ESPN about the Warriors where they were breaking down the things they do well.

One of them is when Draymond is driving to the basket he can find open shooters. The time from passing to getting the shot off is .8 something of a second. The defender to get out and cover the 12 feet to get to the shooter is a fraction over a second.

At the rate they are blowing out teams as well they are getting valuable minutes to rest their stars. This team may cruise to the championship.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2016-01-28, 17:27

The same guys that are guarding the Brow, Dwight, Boogie & Drummond.  We could also flip that and say it would be real interesting watching those guys trying to chase Green & company around and guard the three.  While the game was more physical back then, defensive schemes are on a whole different level these days.  Defense was an after thought in the 80's.  The physicality would be interesting, btw, given how much stronger and in better shape the current guys are.  

Comparing eras is really tough though.  Games were played and, more importantly, officiated differently back then.   Hand checking and zone rule changes make it almost impossible to compare.  

I consider Jordan's bulls more this era, btw.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-01-28, 20:47

StylesGShmooth wrote:

The same guys that are guarding the Brow, Dwight, Boogie & Drummond.  We could also flip that and say it would be real interesting watching those guys trying to chase Green & company around and guard the three.  While the game was more physical back then, defensive schemes are on a whole different level these days.  Defense was an after thought in the 80's.  The physicality would be interesting, btw, given how much stronger and in better shape the current guys are.  

Comparing eras is really tough though.  Games were played and, more importantly, officiated differently back then.   Hand checking and zone rule changes make it almost impossible to compare.  

I consider Jordan's bulls more this era, btw.

I agree with everything you said. The athleticism of the current NBA players is off the charts. I think the lowly 76ers this year would beat any team in the 80's that won a championship. You put the 76ers on a time machine and drop them off in 1983 this 76ers team would run them out of the gym.

I think if you assembled a current dream team it would mop the floor with the 1992 dream team.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down