Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel

+33
Wally Fairway
Bill Cain
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
Clarett's Folly
SawGreen
Da Mayor
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
aualum06
The Pantry
Frank Ricard
Dendrobates
The_Dude
Jake from State Farm
Oj
InTenSity
BleacherSwill
Nordic
tanfan!
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Triple Sparty
Rocinante
tGreenWay
By-Tor
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
37 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Empty A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel

Post by Guest 2016-05-05, 10:25

If you want a gift the wife will remember, get her a few days at this hotel rather than a purse.

Mackinac Island's Grand Hotel preps for season

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Grand_hotel_wedding_photo_mackinac_island_0314

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Large_Grand-hotel
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Empty Re: A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 10:27

LooseGoose wrote:If you want a gift the wife will remember, get her a few days at this hotel rather than a purse.

Mackinac Island's Grand Hotel preps for season

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Grand_hotel_wedding_photo_mackinac_island_0314

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Large_Grand-hotel
Simply. Magical.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Empty Re: A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 10:40

"Down the hill, Matthews, the designer, gazes through the window of the hotel's newest restaurant, Sushi Grand, slated to open later this month.

The restaurant is locked, but Matthews beckons others to look with him. A quick peek that reveals red-lacquered wooden barstools and iridescent tiles, sort of the Grand Hotel-style elegance with an Asian flair."

A sushi restaurant. A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel 1f602
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-05-05, 10:41

Who really goes there? I'm curious. I would expect a bunch of old hags and homely people.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 10:43

By-Tor wrote:Who really goes there? I'm curious. I would expect a bunch of old hags and homely people.
I've been married for 22 years.. if I ever wanted to get a divorce, all I'd have to do is take my wife to that place.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 10:45

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
By-Tor wrote:Who really goes there? I'm curious. I would expect a bunch of old hags and homely people.
I've been married for 22 years.. if I ever wanted to get a divorce, all I'd have to do is take my wife to that place.

She doesn't like sushi?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 10:47

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I've been married for 22 years.. if I ever wanted to get a divorce, all I'd have to do is take my wife to that place.

She doesn't like sushi?
does it come with divorce papers?

If so, yes.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-05, 10:50

I love the lighted fountains out front and the way they're choreographed to music. So many people gather in the evening to watch. I thought I saw George Clooney one night.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 10:52

tGreenWay wrote:I love the lighted fountains out front and the way they're choreographed to music. So many people gather in the evening to watch. I thought I saw George Clooney one night.
dude.. I think you just wrote the opening line to the latest hit song by Taylor Swift.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-05, 10:54

Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymore got it on there.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-05-05, 10:58

Wasn't it the ghost of Clark?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-05, 11:00

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Welcome-to-dining-room

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Grand-Hotel-Mackinac-Island-Wedding-Photographer-01

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Grand_hotel_wedding01

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-05, 11:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I love the lighted fountains out front and the way they're choreographed to music. So many people gather in the evening to watch. I thought I saw George Clooney one night.
dude.. I think you just wrote the opening line to the latest hit song by Taylor Swift.

And then the tabloids will speculate how long Tay Tay keeps George before kicking him to the curb.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 11:06

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:dude.. I think you just wrote the opening line to the latest hit song by Taylor Swift.

And then the tabloids will speculate how long Tay Tay keeps George before kicking him to the curb.
but imagine the quality of music that would come from such a dire circumstance..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 11:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

She doesn't like sushi?
does it come with divorce papers?

If so, yes.

It basically caters to the American Girl crowd.

Some people love that.

But, in all reality it's a tourist trap.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-05, 11:10

We go every couple of years for a conference. We also honeymooned there. I still really dig the hotel, the actual physical structure, but the quality of the food in the main restaurant has really fallen off. Guess I'll have to drag myself to the sushi place. Better yet, go into town and grab a burger.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-05, 11:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

but imagine the quality of music that would come from such a dire circumstance..

It would be heartbreaking. And empowering.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-05-05, 11:17

What is the American Girl crowd? Never heard that term before.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 11:34

http://www.americangirl.com/

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Americangirlplace
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 11:38

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:does it come with divorce papers?

If so, yes.

It basically caters to the American Girl crowd.

Some people love that.

But, in all reality it's a tourist trap.
yeah.. not my scene.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-05-05, 11:42

Love Mackinaw but never been to the Grand.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-05-05, 11:42

NigelUno wrote:http://www.americangirl.com/

Holy fuck. One of the guys that went with us to the Rose Bowl had to hit up the LA American Girl store for his kid the next day. I don't think I have ever felt more out of place than when we went into that store. They have a fucking tea party room that you can bring your dolls to have brunch. I never knew that world existed until that day.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 11:45

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
NigelUno wrote:http://www.americangirl.com/

Holy fuck. One of the guys that went with us to the Rose Bowl had to hit up the LA American Girl store for his kid the next day. I don't think I have ever felt more out of place than when we went into that store. They have a fucking tea party room that you can bring your dolls to have brunch. I never knew that world existed until that day.
yeah..

now imagine an American Girl store for adults.. and you have the Grand Hotel.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-05, 11:45

Triple Sparty wrote:Love Mackinaw but never been to the Grand.

It really is worth staying at least once, not my normal cuppa but I've enjoyed myself there. It kind of takes you back to another time, think the 1900-1930 era. I wouldn't want to live it every day but nothing wrong with experiencing it now and then. Men and women "dressed" for meals, afternoon tea on the veranda and personalized service.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-05, 11:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:yeah..

For someone that's never been there you seem to think you know the place.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 11:51

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:yeah..

For someone that's never been there you seem to think you know the place.
actually, we go every year..

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Main-family-on-bikes

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-05-05, 11:52

Most judgmental hippy ever.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 11:57

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Most judgmental hippy ever.
A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-05, 11:59

LooseGoose wrote:
Triple Sparty wrote:Love Mackinaw but never been to the Grand.

It really is worth staying at least once, not my normal cuppa but I've enjoyed myself there. It kind of takes you back to another time, think the 1900-1930 era. I wouldn't want to live it every day but nothing wrong with experiencing it now and then. Men and women "dressed" for meals, afternoon tea on the veranda and personalized service.

That actually sounds horrible. No wonder God put an iceberg in front of the Titanic.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 12:00

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

It really is worth staying at least once, not my normal cuppa but I've enjoyed myself there.   It kind of takes you back to another time, think the 1900-1930 era.   I wouldn't want to live it every day but nothing wrong with experiencing it now and then.  Men and women "dressed" for meals, afternoon tea on the veranda and personalized service.

That actually sounds horrible. No wonder God put an iceberg in front of the Titanic.
A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel 1966794946
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 12:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

yeah..

Actually, an American Girl store in the Hotel would be a great idea.

With a book series that comes out with new dolls every year based on island "adventures".

And themed rooms.

Jackpot.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 12:03

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

The hotel does have a cruise ship feel to it. After a day and half, you want to get back to the mainland.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 12:05

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Guestrooms_3

Shocked
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-05, 12:10

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Grand-Hotel-Family-Mackinac-Island-Photo-0012

"one stay at The Grand Hotel and you, too, will want to dress up like one of the columns for a family picture"
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-05-05, 12:11

A place like that can't actually allow kids in there, can they? Jesus my kids would terrorize the place if it's that prissy.

I would like to check it out, haven't been up close in probably 30 years. Don't think I would want to stay there, though.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-05-05, 12:12

Robert J Sakimano wrote:A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Grand-Hotel-Family-Mackinac-Island-Photo-0012

"one stay at The Grand Hotel and you, too, will want to dress up like one of the columns for a family picture"

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-05, 12:21

There is an added charge of 19.5% and a 2% Mackinac Island assessment on room rates. Michigan 6% sales tax is added to all rates, including the added charge.

Suspect
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-05-05, 12:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:A place like that can't actually allow kids in there, can they? Jesus my kids would terrorize the place if it's that prissy.

I would like to check it out, haven't been up close in probably 30 years. Don't think I would want to stay there, though.
Just send the kids to the waterpark and arcade while enjoying your tea on the veranda.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-05-05, 12:30

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel Grand-Hotel-Family-Mackinac-Island-Photo-0012

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel 502811600

The damn teenaged daughter ruined the pic with her cream colored top instead of stark white top
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-05-05, 12:42

I got kicked out of there once. Not a ghost story either.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next