Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill Q Thread

+40
aualum06
Triple Sparty
Tim Wakefield
Nordic
kingstonlake
I.B. Fine
InTenSity
Death Roe
Herbie Green
Floyd Robertson
xsanguine
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
CheesySpartan
beal99
LoneWolfSparty
Heat Miser
The_Dude
Rocinante
Green Ninja
Ass Dan
GirbaudJeans
NigelUno
Tyler Durden
CORNER BLITZ
All Your Base
Chitown_Badger
nystyletaco
Code_Warrior
Cym Jim
DWags
Mentalstate
tTy
SeeRockCity
SBSpartan
Wally Fairway
pulling69
The Pantry
By-Tor
Jaheab
44 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Swill Q Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-24, 23:17

Pantry, I don't know about that model. I know Thermoworks makes great stuff. It depends on your budget, and how you cook. I really like wireless, and I find that the Maverick ET 732 is pretty solid. Temps are not exact on it, but I have a feel for where it is (usually consistently 6-8 degrees below what it registers on my Thermapen) and I work with it. I don't typically sit outside and monitor my temps on longer cooks, so a wired setup would be a no go for me.

I feel like the Maverick and the Thermapen give me the perfect combo. I actually have 2 Mavericks. They're pretty solid pieces of equipment.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-24, 23:26

Here are the pics from last night. No "money shot". Served the meat at a birthday party and I'm not about to lug my camera into a friend's house so I can share pics with a bunch of online degenerates.

Here is the Louisiana Lightning. This shit was excellent, and spicy as hell. Stuffed does it right. Thanks again to Girbaud, even if he is an afro-haired, multi nippled asshole.

This shit was so good that my super bland eating 4 year old could not get enough of it. He kept running to the fridge to refill his water and ice to calm the heat down, but he loved it. Very much unlike him.

Swill Q Thread - Page 2 14072775340_18817a53e2_c

Swill Q Thread - Page 2 14236255956_96265bf279_c

Here is the brisket about done. sorry for shitty camera settings. I was so shocked by the Michigan sun that I couldn't properly adjust my shutter speed.

Swill Q Thread - Page 2 14259386735_e69008dd4a_c

Here are the two pork asses after I removed the brisket. These SOBs were stubborn. I cooked them right up until about 3:30 today, so 13 hours total. Damn you, Ty.

Swill Q Thread - Page 2 14072756910_13dd57a555_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-05-25, 00:18

Never heard the term Louisiana Lightning Is that another name for Andouille?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-05-25, 00:52

WSM users - got my smoker on Thursday, been waiting for ever to pull the plug! Found a used one that had only been used a couple of times for $150 - rich idiots near me are a goldmine if you can set up a few Craigslist alerts. Anyway . . .

First use - three racks of St Louis ribs using a 3-2-1 ish, simple Harry Soo approach. But some teething troubles. Used the minion method, but it took forever to get to 200, and it didn't want to get much higher. Ended up firing up another chimney and dumping that on, hovered around 200 after that. Some things that crossed my mind - I'm in Denver at 5280 if that makes a difference, all vents were open, there was a lot of water in the pan, and the ribs were flat on the top grate allowing little air flow to the top (I can see how that would be a problem, and will look to buy a rib rack). By the end of the cook the smoker was keeping a happy 250, but I clearly need to get a better fire going sooner. Kind of funny, since most folks worry about things getting too hot.

Also, because of the temp concerns, I fucked around with the fire a lot, and the meat, while bloody tasty, had more of a campfire taste than hickory!

Anyway, onward! Everyone loved my first effort, I wanted it to be better. Doing pulled pork next, probably Monday. Anyway advice would be awesome, especially how to get the fire to the right spot initially, do I use water or just foil the pan etc.,
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-05-25, 01:18

Cym Jim wrote:WSM users - got my smoker on Thursday, been waiting for ever to pull the plug! Found a used one that had only been used a couple of times for $150 - rich idiots near me are a goldmine if you can set up a few Craigslist alerts. Anyway . . .

First use - three racks of St Louis ribs using a 3-2-1 ish, simple Harry Soo approach. But some teething troubles. Used the minion method, but it took forever to get to 200, and it didn't want to get much higher. Ended up firing up another chimney and dumping that on, hovered around 200 after that. Some things that crossed my mind - I'm in Denver at 5280 if that makes a difference, all vents were open, there was a lot of water in the pan, and the ribs were flat on the top grate allowing little air flow to the top (I can see how that would be a problem, and will look to buy a rib rack). By the end of the cook the smoker was keeping a happy 250, but I clearly need to get a better fire going sooner. Kind of funny, since most folks worry about things getting too hot.

Also, because of the temp concerns, I fucked around with the fire a lot, and the meat, while bloody tasty, had more of a campfire taste than hickory!

Anyway, onward! Everyone loved my first effort, I wanted it to be better. Doing pulled pork next, probably Monday. Anyway advice would be awesome, especially how to get the fire to the right spot initially, do I use water or just foil the pan etc.,
Found a 18.5 WSM on craiglist a few months ago for $230 and the location was near where I work. From the pics the thing looked like it had never been used. Emailed them but never heard back.

Did you use briquettes or lump?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-05-25, 01:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Ok, so tonight's task is to attempt to stay up until about 2 AM EDT so I can throw on 2 bone in pork shoulders and a brisket. I am cooking for a friend's daughter's birthday party tomorrow. He told me that though he appreciated me cooking for his other kid's party in March, he felt bad asking me again, and a "really good bbq place just opened" near his house in Northville. "It's called Dickeys".

Shocked Suspect 

I will not allow him to feed that garbage to the rest of his guests. So it's on.

A Dickeys opened 5 minutes from my house, so I decided to give them a try. Garbage is an accurate description. As I am a BBQ snob, I watched in horror as he pulled these gray ribs out of the Thermotainer wrapped in Reynolds Film (a version of Saran Wrap that actually works). I hoped that they weren't overdone and I hoped that the gray color would turn to red once the wrap was removed, but it wasn't to be. I watched him butcher my ribs with what appeared to be a dull knife. I watched as the dull knife, refusing to cut, easily pulled the meat off the bone. My worst fears were confirmed - way overdone from being stuck in that Thermotainer all day. As a BBQ snob, I told the guy to keep those overcooked ribs, that I wanted something fresher. He didn't have anything fresher and tVietnamese wife was getting nervous that I was being a dick, so to preserve the peace I just wanted to leave. tWife decided to buy the ribs and some Brisket. Needless to say, the ribs had no flavor, nor did the brisket have any smokey flavor. Garbage indeed, even tWife agreed, and that's where the food wound up - in the garbage.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-05-25, 02:08

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Pantry, I don't know about that model. I know Thermoworks makes great stuff. It depends on your budget, and how you cook. I really like wireless, and I find that the Maverick ET 732 is pretty solid. Temps are not exact on it, but I have a feel for where it is (usually consistently 6-8 degrees below what it registers on my Thermapen) and I work with it. I don't typically sit outside and monitor my temps on longer cooks, so a wired setup would be a no go for me.

I feel like the Maverick and the Thermapen give me the perfect combo. I actually have 2 Mavericks. They're pretty solid pieces of equipment.

I love my Maverick! It's so nice to be able to do other things and see my temps on the remote unit. I used to use separate thermometers for each thing and would have to constantly go to the smoker to check temps, but the Maverick solved that problem. Best thing I've bought so far.

On the spur of the moment last Wednesday I decided to do a 7# Pork Butt for some pulled pork. Since it was 4:30Pm by the time I got it in the smoker, I decided to cut out the Money Muscle and cook it separately so that we would at least have something good to eat by 7:00Pm. Damn that MM was AWESOME! Wound up staying up till 3:00Am to finish the rest and get it all pulled apart. Kinda dumb to do that on a weeknight when I had to go to work the next day, but it was worth it! I've been enjoying that pulled pork ever since! If fact, I'm going to go get me some right now...
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by nystyletaco 2014-05-25, 08:06

Babybacks today using the snake/fuse method on a Weber kettle today.

Tomorrow a bone-in turkey breast. Never done one before but it sounds like hot (300-350) and fast is the way to go. Could only find self basting so no brine but will rub and inject.
nystyletaco
nystyletaco
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-05-25, 09:40

nystyletaco wrote:Babybacks today using the snake/fuse method on a Weber kettle today.

Tomorrow a bone-in turkey breast. Never done one before but it sounds like hot (300-350) and fast is the way to go. Could only find self basting so no brine but will rub and inject.

I do whole turkeys in the smoker. I don't brine them at all. I just smear vegetable oil all over them and then dust them with a generous amount of my Memphis Style rub and smoke them for several hours at 300 - 350. The Turkey comes out with such awesome color and tasty skin and the meat is so juicy and full of smokey flavor. Swill Q Thread - Page 2 361471007 
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-25, 10:15

The Pantry wrote:Never heard the term Louisiana Lightning  Is that another name for Andouille?

I linked it above. I have yet to find decent sausage around here to smoke. **** that Polish/Italian shit. I want some hot link. Girbaud lives down the road from this place in Austin called Stuffed. I had him pack up a cooler with ice and ship it to me.

http://stuffedfoodstores.com/
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-25, 10:24

Cym Jim wrote:WSM users - got my smoker on Thursday, been waiting for ever to pull the plug! Found a used one that had only been used a couple of times for $150 - rich idiots near me are a goldmine if you can set up a few Craigslist alerts. Anyway . . .

A couple thoughts. The altitude may have something to do with it. I think these contraptions all run slightly differently due to build quality, it's just a matter of figuring yours out. I have two and they each run slightly differently. I have a buddy out East who has one that seems to run drastically different than either of mine. For example, one of mine I know I can run all night at 235-240 on minion with the top vent wide open, 2 of the 3 bottom vents shut completely and the 3rd one maybe 1/3 of the way open. My buddy out East has to keep all of his vents open to keep temperatures up. So some of it is experimentation I think.

First thing I would say is to understand the water is nothing more than a heat sink. Use less next time and it should make a difference. You can start with very little, in fact, and if you find temps soaring after it runs dry, just pour some more in there.

The other thing - what kind of charcoal are you using? You said it had a "campfire" taste. Temps and cook time really shouldn't affect the taste so much. I am betting Kingsford? Kingsford (to me, at least) gives off a nasty smoke that I can taste. Others say they can't, but I definitely can. Try some lump, or my favorite are the Stubbs briquettes. You can get them at Lowes. This made a huuuuge difference for me when I figured it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Stubbs-46015-Charcoal-Briquettes-15-Pound/dp/B00ABYBF2W
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2014-05-25, 10:39

#13Hours

#SuckItWhiteBoy

#lol
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-05-25, 21:41

The Pantry wrote:
Found a 18.5 WSM on craiglist a few months ago for $230 and the location was near where I work.  From the pics the thing looked like it had never been used.  Emailed them but never heard back.

Did you use briquettes or lump?  
Briquettes, just a regular bag of Kingsford which everyone seemed to recommend.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-05-25, 21:45

Excellent, thanks Hatcher. I'll try little or no water, I couldn't believe how much water would fit in there, and figured I had way too much. Will try something other than Kingsford too. 

Got a beautiful 10lb bone in pork butt today, trying to decide if I'm going to get it going tonight and cook overnight, or start in the morning.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-05-25, 21:53

Cym Jim wrote:Excellent, thanks Hatcher. I'll try little or no water, I couldn't believe how much water would fit in there, and figured I had way too much. Will try something other than Kingsford too. 

Got a beautiful 10lb bone in pork butt today, trying to decide if I'm going to get it going tonight and cook overnight, or start in the morning.

What time are you eating?  If it were me, I'd get my smoker stabilized and put it on at 250 @ 2:00 am or so to have it ready by 3-4 the next day.  Just my $.02.  If its done early  you can cheat a bit since it's hard to over-cook a butt, then, wrap in tin foil, then towels, then stick in a cooler.  It'll stay hot for at least a couple hours.  On the other hand, you can't rush it if you feel you're getting behind.  You have to let it cook through the plateau at a constant, low(ish) temperature or the magic never happens and it'll be shoe leather.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-05-26, 00:00

SRC is spot on from the standpoint that shit can go wrong, and if you can't prolong dinner, you are better safe than sorry.

However, I was going to suggest the opposite only because you aren't comfortable with your WSM yet and how to hold it steady at certain temps. If you have the time to spare, and don't have a set dinner time, start it in the AM and attend to it and monitor it.

One other point I forgot to raise - when you added the water, was it warm/hot? That can also make a difference. If you throw down a full water pan of 35 degree water, you're going to struggle to get your temps up in the first hour or so.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-05-26, 03:08

SeeRockCity wrote:

What time are you eating?  If it were me, I'd get my smoker stabilized and put it on at 250 @ 2:00 am or so to have it ready by 3-4 the next day.  Just my $.02.  If its done early  you can cheat a bit since it's hard to over-cook a butt, then, wrap in tin foil, then towels, then stick in a cooler.  It'll stay hot for at least a couple hours.  On the other hand, you can't rush it if you feel you're getting behind.  You have to let it cook through the plateau at a constant, low(ish) temperature or the magic never happens and it'll be shoe leather.
Thanks for the timing tips, the meat is on the smoker. My god, I know few better feelings than sitting on the deck at 1 in the morning, two or three too many drinks in my belly, watching the smoke billow from the smokey mountain! I just now how to figure out how to couple brewing and smoking and I'll be golden!
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-05-26, 20:51

Cym Jim wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:

Thanks for the timing tips, the meat is on the smoker. My god, I know few better feelings than sitting on the deck at 1 in the morning, two or three too many drinks in my belly, watching the smoke billow from the smokey mountain! I just now how to figure out how to couple brewing and smoking and I'll be golden!

well?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-05-31, 09:49

Going to smoke 3 racks of Baby Backs and a whole chicken today! Yeah baby!

I was shopping at Gordon Food Service and saw a 3 pack of Baby Backs that looked really good for $26. That's the best deal I've seen since the 3 pack of Spare Ribs at HIllers for $25 so I bought them. GFS also had some nice looking Briskets and Pork Butts too. As a comparison, 3 racks of Baby backs from the local butcher shop comes out to almost $35 and these GFS Baby Backs look just as nice. We'll see. Anyone tried GFS for this kind of stuff?
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2014-05-31, 10:17

Did a tri-tip last night on the WSM. Num nums.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-14, 01:55

Had to go back 6 days to find this, nice work Swill!

I am cooking 45 lbs of pork butt tonight for a graduation party tomorrow. I decided to throw on a rack of spares (trimmed St. Louis style) for my own personal enjoyment.

I have to say, you should order some of this stuff. I don't eat it often because I don't make ribs for myself that often, plus I try to stay sugar free. But wow, this stuff is just the perfect compliment to a nice smoked rack of ribs. Blows me away every time I try it and I think to myself, why don't I do this more often?

I've tried the others, and they're good, but specifically the pineapple hab is just amazing.

http://texaspepperjelly.com/rib-candy/

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-06-16, 23:33

I did a 5lb Brisket Flat on Father's day and it came out great! No pics. It had a great smoke ring and great smoky flavor - just the right amount - not so much that it overpowered the beef flavor, but not so little that it tasted like roast beef. It was my 2nd attempt at Brisket after my first disaster last year. This time I only smoked it for 4 hours and once the temp got to 160, I put in in a covered foil pan and let it go until it got to 205, then pulled it off and let it rest in its covered foil pan wrapped in a towel and a blanket for about 2 hours. It was juicy and tender. Total cook time was about 8 hours.

tVietnamese wife picked up a 3 pack of St. Louis cut packaged spare ribs from Costco, so I did those too. However, I wasn't happy with the way they were cut. They were cut straight down and included way too much of the part above where the soft bones are. I don't know what that part is called, but it has all the soft bone like cartilage going all different ways and has that membrane in the middle of the meat. When I cut the ribs out of spare ribs, I usually cut along the bone line and try to cut between the hard rib bone and the soft bone all the way down. The rack tapers a bit, but then I just cut the rack short to get roughly equal length bones and the shorter bones become a pitmaster's snack. Anyway, the ribs tasted OK, but the end of each rib had all that soft bone and membrane left and made it difficult to eat. Not happy with that at all. tWife won't be getting those again.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-06-17, 08:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
http://texaspepperjelly.com/rib-candy/

good advice from this man - y'all should look it up & try it out.
Put WBH in the coupon code for a 15% Swill discount
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-27, 00:46

Picked up a pork ass on a whim tonight. Going for the unprecedented no temp monitoring in meat or at grate overnight WSM cook. 8.5 lb butt, I would guesstimate it will be done around 11 AM tomorrow. Hope so because I have a conference call at 10. We shall see. I will check back in with results, bad or good. I am putting the "can't screw up a pork butt" theory to the test.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-27, 17:13

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

That is a 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. It is the ultimate entry level smoking machine if you're willing to goal charcoal. It costs about $275, and will hold a steady 225 for 8 hours. Honestly in terms of efficiency and consistency, ease of use, etc, it blows away my, um, much much more expensive offset trailer.

So here's the end product.

When I ran upstairs and it was about 99 on the Maverick, it was actually about 110 on the Thermapen. I removed the middle section of the WSM, put the rack right on top of the fire and seared it for about a minute on each side.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2938/14023888447_0aea4b9536_z.jpg

For some reason I was catching some blue/green smoke. Probably not healthy. But I thought it looked cool.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5477/14023858380_2b6fbe1ee5_z.jpg

Tent that bitch.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2933/14023849700_25a43c6f00_z.jpg

Yup Yup.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2935/14187340246_94c95babd9_z.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5486/14210485565_4ced00b65c_z.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5156/14023853730_6ffd7b4486_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2906/14023814958_e55f0c7861_b.jpg

Here is the thing about tri tip. In my opinion it is absolutely the most flavorful piece of meat on a cow, if you let it stand on its own. The flavor just knocks you off your feet. However, if you're not an extreme carnivore, you will notice that it is a bit tough to the chew, regardless of what temp you cook it to. A filet/tenderloin on the other hand, will melt in your mouth, but really lacks in flavor. I love it. But it might not be for everyone.

This was as good as I've ever cooked a tri tip roast, though. Delicious.

I like your yard.

I noticed you said you should let the meat stand on its own, but you bought one with the built in seasoning. I'd prefer to season myself. I have a masterbuilt gas smoker, and so far I love it. easy to maintain temp, tons of capacity, easy to use, only about $160. Here's a few pics of my first couple forays. Homemade rub, homemade sauce.

Baby backs
https://flic.kr/p/nfLKwv

St Louis spare
https://flic.kr/p/oa47T6
https://flic.kr/p/o8bznA

Last edited by Chitown_Badger on 2014-06-27, 17:24; edited 1 time in total
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-27, 17:23

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Picked up a pork ass on a whim tonight. Going for the unprecedented no temp monitoring in meat or at grate overnight WSM cook. 8.5 lb butt, I would guesstimate it will be done around 11 AM tomorrow. Hope so because I have a conference call at 10. We shall see. I will check back in with results, bad or good. I am putting the "can't screw up a pork butt" theory to the test.

Two things...getting a good thermometer for $50 is absolutely worth it. And you need one with a remote hub so you don't have to get off your ass to know what the meat and smoker temps are.

Second WhiteBoy, if you want to try to convince people that you know a lot about BBQ, you need know that a pork butt is not the ass of the pig. It's the shoulder.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-27, 19:45

Chitown_Badger wrote:

Two things...getting a good thermometer for $50 is absolutely worth it. And you need one with a remote hub so you don't have to get off your ass to know what the meat and smoker temps are.

Second WhiteBoy, if you want to try to convince people that you know a lot about BBQ, you need know that a pork butt is not the ass of the pig. It's the shoulder.
He was being facetious about the 'ass'.

Found out last summer WBH lives right around the corner from me. Went over to check out his smoker trailer. Dude is dead serious about BBQ...more serious than anyone I know. He's got plenty of quality thermometers.

His only fault is he doesn't know how to properly grill a steak  Swill Q Thread - Page 2 506486848 

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-29, 01:47

The Pantry wrote:
His only fault is he doesn't know how to properly grill a steak  Swill Q Thread - Page 2 506486848 

This is very true. I don't know how to properly grill a steak. However, I have perfected the cast iron skillet method. Wink

Sorry if I come off as a BBQ snob. No idea on what Badger balls is trying to call me out on. I do know a little bit. I ain't tryin to criticize anyone's methods. Whatever works for you. I do like to offer helpful advice when I can. I have gone through some trials and tribulations and might have some helpful hints from time to time. I also **** up from time to time. It's all about experimenting.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-29, 14:07

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

This is very true. I don't know how to properly grill a steak. However, I have perfected the cast iron skillet method. Wink

Sorry if I come off as a BBQ snob. No idea on what Badger balls is trying to call me out on. I do know a little bit. I ain't tryin to criticize anyone's methods. Whatever works for you. I do like to offer helpful advice when I can. I have gone through some trials and tribulations and might have some helpful hints from time to time. I also **** up from time to time. It's all about experimenting.
Have a number of cast iron pans but have never done a steak in one. Will keep your suggestions in mind for maybe January when I might not feel like pulling out the kettle. Don't mind the pat of butter finish but think I'll skip the clarified butter and just give the steaks a light coat of canola oil before putting them on the iron.

btw...ThermoWorks. A co-worker bought a TW8060 kit with meat and high temperature probe options and brought it in early last week before he used it. The dual channel is nice and the quality is what I expected. It has a 1/4-20 threaded insert on the back for mounting to a tripod.

Said he did a test fire with a bison tri-tip on Wednesday and the TW high temp probe (situated next to the meat) read 20º lower than the thermometer in the WSM lid. Makes sense
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-06-30, 13:05

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

You continued to refer to the pork butt as the ass of the pig. It's not. That's all I was mentioning.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-06-30, 14:20

Time for me to step into this thread.

Some great reading, tips, and pictures in this thread. I'll be adding lots of pics myself, because I smoke quite often.....at least once a month, year round.

Last year my lady purchased an extra large Big Green Egg for us as a surprise, and I've really learned a lot in a year. I've done briskets, pork butts, hot-smoked salmon, ribs and lots of chickens. I've also done two turkeys, including a 22 pound, never-frozen organic guy last Thanksgiving. I've had smoked turkeys before but I absolutely smashed a walk-off grand slam last thanksgiving.

We recently - like as of Saturday - just completed a huge remodel of our pool and backyard, which includes a nice built-in for my egg. I'll shoot some pics this week and post, and I also have one of our 5 kids' birthday parties this weekend so I'll post the beginning-to-end pics/process for whatever meat he chooses.
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-07-01, 13:52

Here's a shot of our new outdoor cooking spot/bar.  That's my egg there, and I cut the inlay for California out of our own stone - it's pumice.Swill Q Thread - Page 2 Dsc_0010
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-01, 14:42

Awesome! Love the state outline.

Just so you know, a big green egg is not actually an egg. It doesn't come from a chicken.

-Chitown
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-07-01, 20:46

All Your Base wrote:Here's a shot of our new outdoor cooking spot/bar.  That's my egg there, and I cut the inlay for California out of our own stone - it's pumice.
Sweet setup. Nice touch with the inlay.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-07-01, 21:14

All Your Base wrote:Here's a shot of our new outdoor cooking spot/bar.  That's my egg there, and I cut the inlay for California out of our own stone - it's pumice.Swill Q Thread - Page 2 Dsc_0010

Wow. What's behind it? An empty lot? Acres unclaimed? Very cool.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-07-01, 21:47

I think I might cook the rest of that rib roast tonight. Or half of it. Someone motivate me please. Should I pull out the trailer for total overkill? Wife and kids went up north today and I'm feeling invincible.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-07-02, 11:50

The Pantry wrote:Sweet setup. Nice touch with the inlay.

Thanks! The stone all comes from my lady's mine here in California. We're going to add a small logo for the company where the mine is, just north of Mammoth.
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-07-02, 12:53

DWags wrote:
Wow.  What's behind it?  An empty lot? Acres unclaimed?  Very cool.

Thanks Wags.

Behind is a dry but actually *green wash* - we live at the bottom of a pretty good ridge. Then a flag lot where our nearest neighbor lives. Part of the reason for the fence is that our backyard is directly adjacent to the driveway of that neighbor.
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base 2014-07-02, 12:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think I might cook the rest of that rib roast tonight. Or half of it. Someone motivate me please. Should I pull out the trailer for total overkill? Wife and kids went up north today and I'm feeling invincible.

I'm your huckleberry. Fire it up!
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-07-04, 11:18

Today I'm going to smoke a rack of baby back ribs for me, and grill some portabella mushroom caps and veggie kabobs for tVietnamese wife. Tomorrow I'm smoking a pork butt, and Sunday I'll be grilling some steaks. Looks to be a relaxing weekend of smoking and grilling. Life is good.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next