Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swill Q Thread

+40
aualum06
Triple Sparty
Tim Wakefield
Nordic
kingstonlake
I.B. Fine
InTenSity
Death Roe
Herbie Green
Floyd Robertson
xsanguine
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
CheesySpartan
beal99
LoneWolfSparty
Heat Miser
The_Dude
Rocinante
Green Ninja
Ass Dan
GirbaudJeans
NigelUno
Tyler Durden
CORNER BLITZ
All Your Base
Chitown_Badger
nystyletaco
Code_Warrior
Cym Jim
DWags
Mentalstate
tTy
SeeRockCity
SBSpartan
Wally Fairway
pulling69
The Pantry
By-Tor
Jaheab
44 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:25 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Electric? In that case I have no idea.

A statement like this makes you ineligible for membership on this board.

If I were a snob, I might opine that owning an electric smoker should make you ineligible for membership on this board. But I'm not. So I will let Pantry say it.

Wink J/K au....I know charcoal/stick burners don't work for everyone.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:31 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

If I were a snob, I might opine that owning an electric smoker should make you ineligible for membership on this board. But I'm not. So I will let Pantry say it.

Wink J/K au....I know charcoal/stick burners don't work for everyone.

Meh it was a Christmas gift and I'm still learning to use it. My next grill will be a charcoal when I can afford it I hope
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Electric? In that case I have no idea.

I disagree. Have no idea how electric smokers work, either.

They have water pans?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 am

I started this 12lb brisket at 10PM Friday night and finally pulled it after the probe went in like butter and read 198 degrees at 1PM Saturday. I let it rest 2 hours in a cooler while I whipped up spicy corn and smoked mac and cheese. I injected with butter prior to throwing it on the smoker, then again before I wrapped it. I marinated it in Italian dressing for 18 hours, but I don't think it really did much.

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Briske10
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:05 am

Izzo Court wrote:I started this 12lb brisket at 10PM Friday night and finally pulled it after the probe went in like butter and read 198 degrees at 1PM Saturday. I let it rest 2 hours in a cooler while I whipped up spicy corn and smoked mac and cheese. I injected with butter prior to throwing it on the smoker, then again before I wrapped it. I marinated it in Italian dressing for 18 hours, but I don't think it really did much.

Did you make S'mores?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Izzo Court wrote:I started this 12lb brisket at 10PM Friday night and finally pulled it after the probe went in like butter and read 198 degrees at 1PM Saturday. I let it rest 2 hours in a cooler while I whipped up spicy corn and smoked mac and cheese. I injected with butter prior to throwing it on the smoker, then again before I wrapped it. I marinated it in Italian dressing for 18 hours, but I don't think it really did much.

Gotta marinate a hunk of meat like that for at least 36 hours (up to 48) to get a good flavor penetration. I always go with a combo of red wine, worcestershire, chopped onion, garlic, salt, pepper and liquid smoke. I grill it so if smoking you probably don't need the liquid smoke.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Doing a bone-in leg of lamb for Easter Sunday.  7-8 lbs.  Going to do it Sous Vide to 120 and then throw it on a 600 degree grill for a few minutes a side to give it a nice crisp.  Then let it rest and come up to 130-135.  I am rubbing it with paste of garlic, oregano, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.  I've done 6-7 legs either on the grill or oven but never Sous Vide.  Every other meat i've done that way has been excellent.  Should be interesting.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm trying really hard to not be a snob.

As a general rule, you do not need to marinate a brisket. Or inject it. I would certainly not inject it with butter. If you have a trimmed flat maybe you might try to marinate or perhaps inject with some beef bullion. Not a packer though.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:02 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm trying really hard to not be a snob.

As a general rule, you do not need to marinate a brisket. Or inject it. I would certainly not inject it with butter. If you have a trimmed flat maybe you might try to marinate or perhaps inject with some beef bullion. Not a packer though.

Offering sound advice based on experience is not being a snob.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:41 pm

WBH?

I doubt you've used one of these.....but based on reading and looking at it, your opinion on it for a home smoker???

Dyna Glo

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 71ZdfdhRl%2BL._SL1500_
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Eh. My opinion is I'd spend the extra $125 and get a WSM. I'm sure you could make decent Q on it but it's not going to hold temps worth a shit and you're going to be babysitting it and re loading it often. This gets old fast, especially on overnight cooks. And there will be some of those the way you host family.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:52 pm

CheesySpartan wrote:Doing a bone-in leg of lamb for Easter Sunday.  7-8 lbs.  Going to do it Sous Vide to 120 and then throw it on a 600 degree grill for a few minutes a side to give it a nice crisp.  Then let it rest and come up to 130-135.  I am rubbing it with paste of garlic, oregano, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.  I've done 6-7 legs either on the grill or oven but never Sous Vide.  Every other meat i've done that way has been excellent.  Should be interesting.
No experience with sous vide but will throw in my 2 cents. Done leg of lamb on the rotisserie and in the smoker but never a bone-in. The bones are deep and will likely take on very little heat from both the sous vide and grill. Just my opinion but going for 130-135, I would de-bone it first.

Leg of lamb is the most frustrating piece of meat I've tried to de-bone. The bone/joint seems to go in all directions. Gave up years ago and no longer hesitate to ask the meat counter butcher to do it. Ask for the bones...they make excellent stock.

Jaheab hasn't been here in awhile. He had an excellent recipe for stuffed leg of lamb that I smoked a couple times.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:15 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm trying really hard to not be a snob.

As a general rule, you do not need to marinate a brisket. Or inject it.

I completely agree. This is the first one I marinated and it didn't add any noticeable flavor. So many people swear by injecting, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in texture or flavor with that either. I figure there is just so much collagen breaking down it keeps it moist. If anything, injecting probably adds an extra hour to the cook because it gives it more moisture to "sweat" and prolong the stall.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:43 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Eh. My opinion is I'd spend the extra $125 and get a WSM. I'm sure you could make decent Q on it but it's not going to hold temps worth a shit and you're going to be babysitting it and re loading it often. This gets old fast, especially on overnight cooks. And there will be some of those the way you host family.

Why wouldn't you have to baby sit a WSM?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:10 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Eh. My opinion is I'd spend the extra $125 and get a WSM. I'm sure you could make decent Q on it but it's not going to hold temps worth a shit and you're going to be babysitting it and re loading it often. This gets old fast, especially on overnight cooks. And there will be some of those the way you host family.

He might want to look at a Chargriller Akorn for $288.
It's a Kamado type grill made out of steel. I had one for two years before the bottom rusted out. It would have lasted a lot longer if I simply removed the ash tray and stored it in the garage after each cook. They are light, easy to move, and you can smoke, grill, or sear on them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/40267083?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227029853077&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=49755579872&wl4=pla-101323049552&wl5=9051817&wl6=&wl7=1019264&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=40267083&wl13=&veh=sem
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:48 pm

The Pantry wrote:Jaheab hasn't been here in awhile.  He had an excellent recipe for stuffed leg of lamb that I smoked a couple times.  
Couldn't find the actual recipe but found pics of one I stuffed.  All the stuffing ingredients in the first few.

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe10
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe12
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe15
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe11
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe14
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe13
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe18
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe17
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe16
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:22 pm

DWags wrote:

Why wouldn't you have to baby sit a WSM?

You can probably go back in this thread and find 20 posts of me pimping the WSM but I'll do it once more. It is the easiest, best, most efficient, cost effective smoking pit on the market that consistently produces high quality BBQ. An 18.5 will run you $300 or less brand new and you can often find used ones in great shape on CL.

If you learn how to set up your fire properly (google 'WSM minion method') you can easily run one for 12-14 hours at 225-250 without having to adjust a vent or reload charcoal. You figure out where you need your vents to be after a few cooks, and it's practically set it and forget it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:45 am

The Pantry wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Jaheab hasn't been here in awhile.  He had an excellent recipe for stuffed leg of lamb that I smoked a couple times.  
Couldn't find the actual recipe but found pics of one I stuffed.  All the stuffing ingredients in the first few.

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe10
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe12
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe15
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe11
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe14
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe13
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe18
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe17
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Stuffe16

Looks great
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 am

I now want some breakfast lamb.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 am

I'm trying this. I'll put it together tomorrow, probably start smoking it at 4:00.

Anyone have a suggestion other than apple?

This looks good. I'm afraid I won't be very good at cutting it down to roll size
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 am

I've done a hundred of those. If you want something smaller use a tenderloin. Sausage, Jalapenos, cheese if you like. I've done one stuffed with white castle stuffing.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I've done a hundred of those. If you want something smaller use a tenderloin. Sausage, Jalapenos, cheese if you like. I've done one stuffed with white castle stuffing.

Will the Jalapenos be overpowering? I plan on giving it to my Mom and pops inlaw. they're cool, but old. That sound's great to me.

What's white castle stuffing?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 am

Use green peppers if you don't want the heat. I've used hot ground sausage, bread crumbs, red onions and jalapenos in one for personal use and it was great.

White castle stuffing - pretty famous, surprised you've never heard of it. Essentially just rip some sliders up, mix with some salt, pepper and chopped celery if you desire. I have added ground sausage to my mix in the past.

Here's a recipe from their site actually - https://www.whitecastle.com/food/recipes/recipes/white-castle-turkey-stuffing
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:02 am

Some pics from the WC one I did.

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 30101427752_fda30564e1_z

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 30130744751_2a5d804530_z

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 29920125340_135dd8da0e_z

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 29594023573_b9a08617e8_z

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 29594015613_1a9f0d5031_z
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Some pics from the WC one I did.

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 29594015613_1a9f0d5031_z

That looks damned good.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:22 pm

craigslist ad:

BBQ Smoker, Redneck Executive Smoker/Grill, This is an executive file cabinet that I turned into a smoker. 1st - 4 drawers have cooking grates and bottom drawer holds the movable cooking rack with the ash pan below. It has 2 shelves that fold down when not in use for easy storage. Shelves also have sauce/beer holder pans on each side. There is a lower air inlet for temp control on each side of pit. Pit is on wheels for easy transport. Possible local delivery
$750.--call

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Vggkp210Swill Q Thread - Page 15 R9xzyj10
Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Npsmyv10Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Ds3mu110
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Aren't file cabinets usually galvanized?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:07 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Aren't file cabinets usually galvanized?
The sheet metal exterior definitely is not...probably just 1010-1020 mild steel. Not sure what the drawer sliders are made of or what the coating is but doubt it's a zinc galvanizing process.

Get what you're saying though. Would not hold up in use. Cabinet would have to be stripped and coated with heat resistant paint to give it a chance at longevity. I like the snake setup in the charcoal drawer.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Swill Q Thread - Page 15 Becamo10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Barbecue spot Fitzgerald's named Michigan's best small-town bar by Thrillist

Thrillist, a food and entertainment website, has named the best small-town bar in every state. In Michigan, the honor went to a U.P. spot heralded for its barbecue: Fitzgerald's Restaurant.

Fitzgerald's is located in Eagle River, a town with a population of 71, according to the 2010 census. Eagle River is near the top of the Keweenaw Peninsula — about as far north as you can get in Michigan.

"Fitz serves up great BBQ to go along with the requisite whitefish, but despite its designation as a restaurant, it might also be the best place to drink with a view of a Great Lake period,“ said Thrillist.

Fitzgerald’s more than 100 beers — the owner has an enthusiasm for craft beer — pair quite nicely with a view of Lake Superior. It also has lots of whiskey, with its more than 90 offerings backed by “a staff loaded with knowledge about each,” Thrillist said.

The restaurant's website says Fitzgerald's southern-style barbecue, including brisket, ribs and pork shoulder, is smoked daily in a wood-fired smoker.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Anyone have a Blackstone Grill? Considering picking one up. I think being able to make breakfast on it would be sweet.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15