The Official Pasty Thread

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by Senior Dickfist on 2018-01-09, 19:05


I'm certainly no pasty expert, but #2 on this list, Old Dog, makes a pasty that I really enjoy.
avatar
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Posts : 977
Join date : 2014-05-22
Age : 98
Location : The Zoo

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-01-09, 19:08

Floyd Robertson wrote:That Pasty truck needs to make a trip to Utica.
Would be cool if they made a pass up Mound Rd through the industrial parks every couple weeks but that truck probably can't handle Mound Rd, which is turning even shittier with each passing winter day.

Supposedly they hang out at Detroit Fleat often.  Bar with food truck parking on 9 Mile in fabulous Ferndale.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-05-13, 14:42

I bring 2 pieces of bad news for the Pantry.


By the time we got the US2 pasty shops yesterday they were all closed except Lehtos. So side x side testing will be deferred to another trip. We had a real problem with business hours, on the way up we detoured to hit Bessie's Pasties since they have been getting rave reviews. Unfortunately we were there about 9am and they don't open until 10.

Lehto's got a universal thumbs down from the family. No one liked the filling. My daughter order gravy and kind of liked that. The only bright spot was the crust, everyone agreed it was well done. $6 each, $2 surcharge for the gravy. The filling was ground beef and the rest was really mushy. Not impressed at all.

We passed Clyde's with much regret after eating the pasties.
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-05-13, 15:30

Thanks for the report. Sad to hear they were bad. If the filling was mushy, the gravy might make some sense (as in, mashed potatoes and gravy), but $2? $6 for the pasty? Was it roughly 8" lengthwise? More carrot than rutabaga? Curious about the crust description as "well done". Was it done well, or more like crunchy?

Been about 20 years since last stopping at Lehtos. Even then there was a much better pasty shop (Red Onion in Negaunee) on the way up to the Keweenaw. Had heard Lehtos had gone downhill. Won't bother ordering any online to have shipped down.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-05-13, 15:39

The Pantry wrote:Thanks for the report. Sad to hear they were bad. If the filling was mushy, the gravy might make some sense (as in, mashed potatoes and gravy), but $2? $6 for the pasty? Was it roughly 8" lengthwise? More carrot than rutabaga? Curious about the crust description as "well done". Was it done well, or more like crunchy?

Been about 20 years since last stopping at Lehtos. Even then there was a much better pasty shop (Red Onion in Negaunee) on the way up to the Keweenaw. Had heard Lehtos had gone downhill. Won't bother ordering any online to have shipped down.

"Well done" on the crust in the sense that it was flaky and good. I was impressed how they kept it flaky and tender yet strong enough to hold together well with all the filling. Honestly the filling was so mushy I wouldn't even venture a guess on the mix ratio of carrot/rutabaga/potato. I think my daughter took some pics, if she did I'll add them here later. I had no issue with the size, the were very generous there.
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-05-13, 17:02

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Thanks for the report. Sad to hear they were bad. If the filling was mushy, the gravy might make some sense (as in, mashed potatoes and gravy), but $2? $6 for the pasty? Was it roughly 8" lengthwise? More carrot than rutabaga? Curious about the crust description as "well done". Was it done well, or more like crunchy?

Been about 20 years since last stopping at Lehtos. Even then there was a much better pasty shop (Red Onion in Negaunee) on the way up to the Keweenaw. Had heard Lehtos had gone downhill. Won't bother ordering any online to have shipped down.

"Well done" on the crust in the sense that it was flaky and good. I was impressed how they kept it flaky and tender yet strong enough to hold together well with all the filling. Honestly the filling was so mushy I wouldn't even venture a guess on the mix ratio of carrot/rutabaga/potato. I think my daughter took some pics, if she did I'll add them here later. I had no issue with the size, the were very generous there.
Just got off the phone with my sis. She has Lehto's recipe my mom wrote down...apparently it was published in a newspaper many years ago. Their original recipe called for diced sirloin. The ground beef most places use now doesn't cut it for an authentic pasty.

Sis sent me Lehto's recipe before but I lost it. Will post when she re-sends it.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-05-13, 17:04

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Thanks for the report. Sad to hear they were bad. If the filling was mushy, the gravy might make some sense (as in, mashed potatoes and gravy), but $2? $6 for the pasty? Was it roughly 8" lengthwise? More carrot than rutabaga? Curious about the crust description as "well done". Was it done well, or more like crunchy?

Been about 20 years since last stopping at Lehtos. Even then there was a much better pasty shop (Red Onion in Negaunee) on the way up to the Keweenaw. Had heard Lehtos had gone downhill. Won't bother ordering any online to have shipped down.

"Well done" on the crust in the sense that it was flaky and good. I was impressed how they kept it flaky and tender yet strong enough to hold together well with all the filling. Honestly the filling was so mushy I wouldn't even venture a guess on the mix ratio of carrot/rutabaga/potato. I think my daughter took some pics, if she did I'll add them here later. I had no issue with the size, the were very generous there.

These are words no woman has ever said to me, at least not strung together in that order.
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 27928
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-05-17, 17:57

Lehto's recipe.  My mom wrote it down after seeing it published in a newspaper maybe 50 years ago.  From Goose's recent description it appears the recipe has changed.

Interesting to see scraped suet as one of the dough ingredients.  Suet has a fairly high melting point which would make it perfect for the crust.  Highly doubt Lehto's current recipe still uses it.   Also note the temp change part way through the bake.  Not enough rutabaga IMO.

Recipe doesn't say how many pasties it makes but I'm guessing 4.

avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-05-17, 18:44

The Pantry wrote:Lehto's recipe.  My mom wrote it down after seeing it published in a newspaper maybe 50 years ago.  From Goose's recent description it appears the recipe has changed.

Interesting to see scraped suet as one of the dough ingredients.  Suet has a fairly high melting point which would make it perfect for the crust.  Highly doubt Lehto's current recipe still uses it.   Also note the temp change part way through the bake.  Not enough rutabaga IMO.

Recipe doesn't say how many pasties it makes but I'm guessing 4.


I think you're right, 3C flour would seem to make about 4 pasty crusts.

They're definitely not using sirloin.

I'm with you, I'd lower the spuds and up the 'bagas.

avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-05-17, 18:58

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Lehto's recipe.  My mom wrote it down after seeing it published in a newspaper maybe 50 years ago.  From Goose's recent description it appears the recipe has changed.

Interesting to see scraped suet as one of the dough ingredients.  Suet has a fairly high melting point which would make it perfect for the crust.  Highly doubt Lehto's current recipe still uses it.   Also note the temp change part way through the bake.  Not enough rutabaga IMO.

Recipe doesn't say how many pasties it makes but I'm guessing 4.


I think you're right, 3C flour would seem to make about 4 pasty crusts.

They're definitely not using sirloin.

I'm with you, I'd lower the spuds and up the 'bagas.

Actually, the amount of potato seems about right to me. I would up the rutabaga to a cup, cup and a half.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by SawGreen on 2018-05-17, 21:09

The Pantry wrote:Lehto's recipe.  My mom wrote it down after seeing it published in a newspaper maybe 50 years ago.  From Goose's recent description it appears the recipe has changed.

Interesting to see scraped suet as one of the dough ingredients.  Suet has a fairly high melting point which would make it perfect for the crust.  Highly doubt Lehto's current recipe still uses it.   Also note the temp change part way through the bake.  Not enough rutabaga IMO.

Recipe doesn't say how many pasties it makes but I'm guessing 4.


Sorry man. No parsnips, no deal. I think it's the secret ingredient.
avatar
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-05-17, 21:24

SawGreen wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Lehto's recipe.  My mom wrote it down after seeing it published in a newspaper maybe 50 years ago.  From Goose's recent description it appears the recipe has changed.

Interesting to see scraped suet as one of the dough ingredients.  Suet has a fairly high melting point which would make it perfect for the crust.  Highly doubt Lehto's current recipe still uses it.   Also note the temp change part way through the bake.  Not enough rutabaga IMO.

Recipe doesn't say how many pasties it makes but I'm guessing 4.


Sorry man. No parsnips, no deal. I think it's the secret ingredient.
Love parsnips but they're too sweet for a pasty. Rutabaga is what makes it perfect with the mix of sweet and bitter.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by SawGreen on 2018-05-17, 21:29

The Pantry wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Sorry man. No parsnips, no deal. I think it's the secret ingredient.
Love parsnips but they're too sweet for a pasty. Rutabaga is what makes it perfect with the mix of sweet and bitter.

Rutabaga yes, parsnip yes, in perfect balance (which my personal magician wields). The gravy seals the deal.
avatar
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-05-17, 21:36

SawGreen wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Love parsnips but they're too sweet for a pasty. Rutabaga is what makes it perfect with the mix of sweet and bitter.

Rutabaga yes, parsnip yes, in perfect balance (which my personal magician wields). The gravy seals the deal.
Not even remotely funny
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by SawGreen on 2018-05-17, 21:52

The Pantry wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Rutabaga yes, parsnip yes, in perfect balance (which my personal magician wields). The gravy seals the deal.
Not even remotely funny

Wish there were up votes. It's a fun debate, but yeah, I, honest and true, like a splash of beef gravy on too. You got your rutabaga bitter, your parsnip sweet and your gravy salt. I'll stand my chef up against anyone.
avatar
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-05-17, 22:24

SawGreen wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Not even remotely funny

Wish there were up votes. It's a fun debate, but yeah, I, honest and true, like a splash of beef gravy on too. You got your rutabaga bitter, your parsnip sweet and your gravy salt. I'll stand my chef up against anyone.
There's enough sweet between the onion and rutabaga. Parsnip takes it over the top...same with applying ketchup.

Ketchup is for ketchup lovers. Gravy is there to cover a bad pasty. A good pasty needs neither.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by SawGreen on 2018-05-17, 23:23

The Pantry wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Wish there were up votes. It's a fun debate, but yeah, I, honest and true, like a splash of beef gravy on too. You got your rutabaga bitter, your parsnip sweet and your gravy salt. I'll stand my chef up against anyone.
There's enough sweet between the onion and rutabaga. Parsnip takes it over the top...same with applying ketchup.

Ketchup is for ketchup lovers. Gravy is there to cover a bad pasty. A good pasty needs neither.

Don't you mean pea soup Yukon Cornelius?
avatar
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 1802
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-08-24, 21:15

I think we need a Pantry report on this upstart challenger to the pasty and coney.

One community's fight against Asian corned beef egg rolls




Asian corned beef egg rolls — Detroit's next great regional food, or a smelly blight on a peaceful upper-middle-class neighborhood?

That's the question at the heart of an effort by Detroit's Green Acres neighborhood to thwart plans for a new Asian Corned Beef restaurant in the vacant building that formerly housed Stanley's Other Place. The property in question sits on the south side of Eight Mile Road just west of Woodward Avenue and abuts Green Acres.

The dish's name doesn't deceive — Detroit's corned beef chefs fold an egg roll wrapper around a small pile of razor-thin corned beef, then dips the package into a deep fryer until it is crisp. In its original form, the cured meat is accompanied by gooey, white cheese like mozzarella or Swiss. Each restaurant offers variations; some are stuffed with cabbage, ground beef, or steak. The dish is not quite at coney dog status, but it could be argued that it's on its way.
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2018-08-25, 14:53

That's a fascinating dish I'd love to try sometime. The ingredients and cook all make sense together, though I'd opt for sauerkraut over just plain cabbage. A vinegar-based slaw would work too...throw in some purple cabbage for a color pop. Could be Detroit's third original food creation after the coney and thick crust pizza.

No comparison and zero threat to a UP pasty. I'd bet 90% of the metro area has no clue what a pasty is.
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10180
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum