Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Pasty Thread

+26
Rick Saunders
kingstonlake
PennSpartan
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
Rocinante
AvgMSUJoe
The Pantry
SawGreen
Senior Dickfist
BleacherSwill
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
Cameron
Robert J Sakimano
Cym Jim
Triple Sparty
TheReal_LWS
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
DWags
Floyd Robertson
tanfan!
GRR Spartan
30 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-01-09, 19:05

LooseGoose wrote:Slide Show....

"the most delicious pasties found under the bridge"

I'm certainly no pasty expert, but #2 on this list, Old Dog, makes a pasty that I really enjoy.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-01-09, 19:08

Floyd Robertson wrote:That Pasty truck needs to make a trip to Utica.
Would be cool if they made a pass up Mound Rd through the industrial parks every couple weeks but that truck probably can't handle Mound Rd, which is turning even shittier with each passing winter day.

Supposedly they hang out at Detroit Fleat often.  Bar with food truck parking on 9 Mile in fabulous Ferndale.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-13, 14:42

I bring 2 pieces of bad news for the Pantry.

By the time we got the US2 pasty shops yesterday they were all closed except Lehtos. So side x side testing will be deferred to another trip. We had a real problem with business hours, on the way up we detoured to hit Bessie's Pasties since they have been getting rave reviews. Unfortunately we were there about 9am and they don't open until 10.

Lehto's got a universal thumbs down from the family. No one liked the filling. My daughter order gravy and kind of liked that. The only bright spot was the crust, everyone agreed it was well done. $6 each, $2 surcharge for the gravy. The filling was ground beef and the rest was really mushy. Not impressed at all.

We passed Clyde's with much regret after eating the pasties.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-05-13, 15:30

Thanks for the report. Sad to hear they were bad. If the filling was mushy, the gravy might make some sense (as in, mashed potatoes and gravy), but $2? $6 for the pasty? Was it roughly 8" lengthwise? More carrot than rutabaga? Curious about the crust description as "well done". Was it done well, or more like crunchy?

Been about 20 years since last stopping at Lehtos. Even then there was a much better pasty shop (Red Onion in Negaunee) on the way up to the Keweenaw. Had heard Lehtos had gone downhill. Won't bother ordering any online to have shipped down.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-13, 15:39

The Pantry wrote:Thanks for the report. Sad to hear they were bad. If the filling was mushy, the gravy might make some sense (as in, mashed potatoes and gravy), but $2? $6 for the pasty? Was it roughly 8" lengthwise? More carrot than rutabaga? Curious about the crust description as "well done". Was it done well, or more like crunchy?

Been about 20 years since last stopping at Lehtos. Even then there was a much better pasty shop (Red Onion in Negaunee) on the way up to the Keweenaw. Had heard Lehtos had gone downhill. Won't bother ordering any online to have shipped down.

"Well done" on the crust in the sense that it was flaky and good. I was impressed how they kept it flaky and tender yet strong enough to hold together well with all the filling. Honestly the filling was so mushy I wouldn't even venture a guess on the mix ratio of carrot/rutabaga/potato. I think my daughter took some pics, if she did I'll add them here later. I had no issue with the size, the were very generous there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-05-13, 17:02

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Thanks for the report. Sad to hear they were bad. If the filling was mushy, the gravy might make some sense (as in, mashed potatoes and gravy), but $2? $6 for the pasty? Was it roughly 8" lengthwise? More carrot than rutabaga? Curious about the crust description as "well done". Was it done well, or more like crunchy?

"Well done" on the crust in the sense that it was flaky and good. I was impressed how they kept it flaky and tender yet strong enough to hold together well with all the filling. Honestly the filling was so mushy I wouldn't even venture a guess on the mix ratio of carrot/rutabaga/potato. I think my daughter took some pics, if she did I'll add them here later. I had no issue with the size, the were very generous there.
Just got off the phone with my sis. She has Lehto's recipe my mom wrote down...apparently it was published in a newspaper many years ago. Their original recipe called for diced sirloin. The ground beef most places use now doesn't cut it for an authentic pasty.

Sis sent me Lehto's recipe before but I lost it. Will post when she re-sends it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-05-13, 17:04

LooseGoose wrote:

These are words no woman has ever said to me, at least not strung together in that order.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-05-17, 17:57

Lehto's recipe.  My mom wrote it down after seeing it published in a newspaper maybe 50 years ago.  From Goose's recent description it appears the recipe has changed.

Interesting to see scraped suet as one of the dough ingredients.  Suet has a fairly high melting point which would make it perfect for the crust.  Highly doubt Lehto's current recipe still uses it.   Also note the temp change part way through the bake.  Not enough rutabaga IMO.

Recipe doesn't say how many pasties it makes but I'm guessing 4.

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 Lehtos10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-17, 18:44

The Pantry wrote:Lehto's recipe.  My mom wrote it down after seeing it published in a newspaper maybe 50 years ago.  From Goose's recent description it appears the recipe has changed.

Interesting to see scraped suet as one of the dough ingredients.  Suet has a fairly high melting point which would make it perfect for the crust.  Highly doubt Lehto's current recipe still uses it.   Also note the temp change part way through the bake.  Not enough rutabaga IMO.

I think you're right, 3C flour would seem to make about 4 pasty crusts.

They're definitely not using sirloin.

I'm with you, I'd lower the spuds and up the 'bagas.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-05-17, 18:58

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Lehto's recipe.  My mom wrote it down after seeing it published in a newspaper maybe 50 years ago.  From Goose's recent description it appears the recipe has changed.

I think you're right, 3C flour would seem to make about 4 pasty crusts.

They're definitely not using sirloin.

I'm with you, I'd lower the spuds and up the 'bagas.

Actually, the amount of potato seems about right to me. I would up the rutabaga to a cup, cup and a half.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-05-17, 21:09

Sorry man. No parsnips, no deal. I think it's the secret ingredient.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-05-17, 21:24

SawGreen wrote:

Love parsnips but they're too sweet for a pasty. Rutabaga is what makes it perfect with the mix of sweet and bitter.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-05-17, 21:29

The Pantry wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Love parsnips but they're too sweet for a pasty. Rutabaga is what makes it perfect with the mix of sweet and bitter.

Rutabaga yes, parsnip yes, in perfect balance (which my personal magician wields). The gravy seals the deal.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-05-17, 21:36

SawGreen wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Love parsnips but they're too sweet for a pasty. Rutabaga is what makes it perfect with the mix of sweet and bitter.

Rutabaga yes, parsnip yes, in perfect balance (which my personal magician wields). The gravy seals the deal.
Not even remotely funny
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-05-17, 21:52

The Pantry wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Not even remotely funny

Wish there were up votes. It's a fun debate, but yeah, I, honest and true, like a splash of beef gravy on too. You got your rutabaga bitter, your parsnip sweet and your gravy salt. I'll stand my chef up against anyone.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-05-17, 22:24

SawGreen wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Not even remotely funny

Wish there were up votes. It's a fun debate, but yeah, I, honest and true, like a splash of beef gravy on too. You got your rutabaga bitter, your parsnip sweet and your gravy salt. I'll stand my chef up against anyone.
There's enough sweet between the onion and rutabaga. Parsnip takes it over the top...same with applying ketchup.

Ketchup is for ketchup lovers. Gravy is there to cover a bad pasty. A good pasty needs neither.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-05-17, 23:23

The Pantry wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

There's enough sweet between the onion and rutabaga. Parsnip takes it over the top...same with applying ketchup.

Ketchup is for ketchup lovers. Gravy is there to cover a bad pasty. A good pasty needs neither.

Don't you mean pea soup Yukon Cornelius?
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-24, 21:15

I think we need a Pantry report on this upstart challenger to the pasty and coney.

One community's fight against Asian corned beef egg rolls

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 Acb

Asian corned beef egg rolls — Detroit's next great regional food, or a smelly blight on a peaceful upper-middle-class neighborhood?

That's the question at the heart of an effort by Detroit's Green Acres neighborhood to thwart plans for a new Asian Corned Beef restaurant in the vacant building that formerly housed Stanley's Other Place. The property in question sits on the south side of Eight Mile Road just west of Woodward Avenue and abuts Green Acres.

The dish's name doesn't deceive — Detroit's corned beef chefs fold an egg roll wrapper around a small pile of razor-thin corned beef, then dips the package into a deep fryer until it is crisp. In its original form, the cured meat is accompanied by gooey, white cheese like mozzarella or Swiss. Each restaurant offers variations; some are stuffed with cabbage, ground beef, or steak. The dish is not quite at coney dog status, but it could be argued that it's on its way.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-08-25, 14:53

That's a fascinating dish I'd love to try sometime. The ingredients and cook all make sense together, though I'd opt for sauerkraut over just plain cabbage. A vinegar-based slaw would work too...throw in some purple cabbage for a color pop. Could be Detroit's third original food creation after the coney and thick crust pizza.

No comparison and zero threat to a UP pasty. I'd bet 90% of the metro area has no clue what a pasty is.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-04-02, 14:23

Presenting... The Coney Dog Pasty!
The coney dog pasty: most Michigan treat ever?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/life/food/2019/04/02/coney-dog-pasty-most-michigan-treat-ever-ackroyds-scottish-bakery-redford/3343314002/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-04-02, 18:00

Does a food that is basically a home made Hot Pocket really need a four page thread?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-02, 18:20

tGreenWay wrote:Presenting... The Coney Dog Pasty!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/life/food/2019/04/02/coney-dog-pasty-most-michigan-treat-ever-ackroyds-scottish-bakery-redford/3343314002/
Just plain wrong calling that a pasty...never any cheese in one. It's just a gross-ass hot dog empanada. I hope some relocated downstate Yoopers burn a good ole fashion wood outhouse in front of that stupid bakery.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-02, 18:27

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Does a food that is basically a home made Hot Pocket really need a four page thread?
You'll eat your grotesque words if you ever have a pasty from Toni's
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-04-02, 19:00

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Presenting... The Coney Dog Pasty!

Just plain wrong calling that a pasty...never any cheese in one. It's just a gross-ass hot dog empanada. I hope some relocated downstate Yoopers burn a good ole fashion wood outhouse in front of that stupid bakery.

Why do you hate baseball? It’s the same as hating America.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-04-02, 19:03

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Does a food that is basically a home made Hot Pocket really need a four page thread?

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-04-02, 19:05

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 502811600 Shots fired.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-02, 19:17

It's now easy to see why goose left. Most of you clowns have very few taste buds.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-04-02, 19:19

The Pantry wrote:It's now easy to see why goose left. Most of you clowns have very few taste buds.

I have great taste, bud. tongue
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-02, 20:36

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:It's now easy to see why goose left. Most of you clowns have very few taste buds.

Yeah, I know. Cargo shorts.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-04-02, 22:55

Just had my first ever pasty. Details tomorrow.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-02, 23:12

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Just had my first ever pasty. Details tomorrow.
From where? A great pasty will light you up on both the intake and exhaust.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-04-03, 00:37

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Practical for dog walking and fashionably good looking. Cargo shorts are awesome.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-04-03, 00:42

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

This is a valid point.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-04-03, 09:43

I picked up a pizza from M-Brew in Ferndale as I heard it was good. It was. They had pasties on the menu so I went for it, kind of as a board gag. I've never had a pasty but I had a couple of beers and it sounded funny.

Here is the only menu I could find online. They only have one pasty on there. "Bruce Crossing Beef Pasty" - https://www.facebook.com/pg/MBrewFerndale/menu/?p_ref=pa

It was ok. Kind of bland. I don't think I'd go out of my way to get one, even in the UP where, as we all know, the pasties are made of rutabagas and tropical fairy dust.

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 40563192663_b78e317d1b_c

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 40563191253_3bb7d457cf_b

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-04-03, 09:53

My best WBH impression...

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 Z

FLAVA TOWN!!!
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-04-03, 09:54

Tropical fairy dust The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-04-03, 10:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I picked up a pizza from M-Brew in Ferndale as I heard it was good. It was. They had pasties on the menu so I went for it, kind of as a board gag. I've never had a pasty but I had a couple of beers and it sounded funny.

Here is the only menu I could find online. They only have one pasty on there. "Bruce Crossing Beef Pasty" - https://www.facebook.com/pg/MBrewFerndale/menu/?p_ref=pa

It was ok. Kind of bland. I don't think I'd go out of my way to get one, even in the UP where, as we all know, the pasties are made of rutabagas and tropical fairy dust.

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 40563192663_b78e317d1b_c

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 40563191253_3bb7d457cf_b

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-03, 10:24

That they serve it with gravy is a red flag it's lousy pasty
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-04-03, 11:11

The Official Pasty Thread - Page 4 502811600

Somehow I was sure that it would not live up to your lofty standards.

The pizza was pretty good, though.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-04-03, 12:52

The Pantry wrote:That they serve it with gravy is a red flag it's lousy pasty
I can't remember, are you a ketchup guy or a plain guy? My dad and grandpa both eat ketchup on theirs, but my friend insists that plain is the right way because his grandpa was a miner in Ishpeming and ate his plain.

Honestly, I like gravy with a pasty.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next