Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare

+5
Jake from State Farm
Jethro Bodeen
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
9 posters

Go down

Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare  Empty Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare

Post by DWags Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Tanner, Goose, Pantry, myself, all you guys older than 48 almost had your asses fried cause of a solar flare. We thought we were getting nuked.  

http://gizmodo.com/a-solar-flare-almost-caused-nuclear-war-in-1967-1785049998
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare  Empty Re: Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm pretty glad that we didn't accidentally destroy the earth dwags
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare  Empty Re: Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:06 pm

That was the first year I started following the Lions. Seems about right.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:That was the first year I started following the Lions. Seems about right.

Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare  502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:47 pm

DWags wrote:Tanner, Goose, Pantry, myself, all you guys older than 48 almost had your asses fried cause of a solar flare. We thought we were getting nuked.  

Well, it would have spared me some difficulties.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Really wouldn't surprise me if mankind got wiped out due to something really stupid that we brought upon ourselves.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:Really wouldn't surprise me if mankind got wiped out due to something really stupid that we brought upon ourselves.

Let me tell you why you wouldn't be surprised...

Cause Youd be dead. You would have no feelings or understanding. Only the cockroaches would be surprised.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:28 pm

DWags wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:Really wouldn't surprise me if mankind got wiped out due to something really stupid that we brought upon ourselves.

Cause Youd be dead. You would have no feelings or understanding. Only the cockroaches would be surprised.

I'd like to think that with my mad survival skills I'd be eating cockroach stew at the end.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:
DWags wrote:

I'd like to think that with my mad survival skills I'd be eating cockroach stew at the end.

Until your skin fell off.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:02 pm

I heard we almost lost Detroit.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:52 pm

tGreenWay wrote:I heard we almost lost Detroit.

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:55 pm

DWags wrote:Tanner, Goose, Pantry, myself, all you guys older than 48 almost had your asses fried cause of a solar flare. We thought we were getting nuked.  

We came even closer in 1983. The Soviet early warning systems reported multiple launches from the US, but the Soviet officer monitoring the systems did not trust them and dismissed them as a false alarm, despite the system saying that the reliability was the "highest". In not passing the report on to his superiors, he violated his orders. He is sometimes called the man who saved the world.

At that time, tensions were at their peak, with Soviet Premier Andropov very seriously believing that the US would launch a first strike. 3 weeks before this incident, the Soviets shot down a Korean Air Lines passenger jet (among the Americans on board was a US congressman). So if this one Soviet officer had kicked the warning up the chain of command, with the tensions and belief that the US would launch a first strike, it's terrifying to think what might have happened. The warnings were triggered because of a certain way that the sun hit the clouds in just the right way in just the right area. Crazy to think about it.

No one really knew about this until after the Soviet Union collapsed, but 1983 was a very scary year. Later in 1983 there were NATO exercises that the Soviets thought were a cover for an impending attack. Right around that same time, the TV movie "The Day After" aired. I was about 10 at the time, and it was scary as shit, but I probably still couldn't wrap my head around the possibility like some of you more seasoned folks. I found it online somewhere several years ago and watched it, and it still was pretty scary, though at the same time it is easier to accept knowing that it didn't come to that. But it's still so fucked up to hear about how close it came to happening and on how many different occasions.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Almost happened once before due to the fact that that every imagination of the thoughts of mankind's heart was only evil continually.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I heard we almost lost Detroit.

Almost went to nuclear war because of a 1967 solar flare  502811600 I'd never heard that before. Had to look it up.

Edit: I also saw they've renamed themselves Jr. Jr. Wikipedia doesn't say why they changed names, but it doesn't appear to have been anything to do with threat of a lawsuit, because the actual DE, Jr. Is a fan of the band's.

Last edited by tGreenWay on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a useless, trivial statement and question.)
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down