Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner!

+6
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
CheesySpartan
tanfan!
Floyd Robertson
NigelUno
10 posters

Go down

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! Empty East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner!

Post by NigelUno Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:07 pm

Or not.

A Chicago developer has withdrawn plans for a new 12-story hotel and luxury apartments on a long-vacant downtown block. The project, which will cost more than $50 million, will have to be revised

"The cause is a requirement buried in an ordinance on building heights that the City Council adopted in February. For any multi-family rentals built in B-3 zones downtown, 50% of the development must be owner-occupied condos or apartments for senior citizens.

"It makes no sense to have them in the same building,” said Dave Nelson, head of real estate for Convexity Properties, which proposed the project. “Those are totally different developers and financing sources. I am not willing to do a for-sale product in that area.”

Convexity's zoning lawyer David Pierson said they weren't aware of the zoning change until they sent in the site plan because the city failed to list the ordinance on its website, as is customary.​"
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! Empty Re: East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner!

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 pm

East Lansing surely needs more apartments for seniors in its downtown, so they can walk home from the bars at 2AM.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! Empty Re: East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner!

Post by NigelUno Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:East Lansing surely needs more apartments for seniors in its downtown, so they can walk home from the bars at 2AM.

Isn't that what happened to the last development also? They put some stupid restrictions on it?

City Council is more interested in getting re-elected than doing what's right for downtown.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:35 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:East Lansing surely needs more apartments for seniors in its downtown, so they can walk home from the bars at 2AM.

Isn't that what happened to the last development also? They put some stupid restrictions on it?

City Council is more interested in getting re-elected than doing what's right for downtown.

The college town that hates the college it seems.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:49 pm

NigelUno wrote:

How do you know this. Perhaps there were legit reasons to place restrictions on the developers. As usual you're talking out your ass
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Isn't that what happened to the last development also?  They put some stupid restrictions on it?

The college town that hates the college it seems.

LOL...FYI most college town residents in America that are 40+  "hate" the college...
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:16 pm

Get the fuck out then. Maybe rent will be cheaper. Not paying much more in Denver compared to EL should disgust someone.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 pm

So, the council is willing to leave it look like shit. WTF?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:47 pm

Tanfan! wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Isn't that what happened to the last development also?  They put some stupid restrictions on it?

How do you know this. Perhaps there were legit reasons to place restrictions on the developers.  As usual you're talking out your ass

The "legit reasons" are the residents of EL don't want a bunch of apartments downtown and they elect city council members who put silly provisions in place.  Maybe you should read the article.  

Unless you think downtown needs apartments for senior citizens?  East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! 502811600

Try not to be so desperate for a fight and use you fucking brain for once.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:47 pm

DWags wrote:So, the council is willing to leave it look like shit. WTF?

Apparently. Turning away a developer with 50 million is insane.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 pm

NigelUno wrote:

Not sure why the council wants to be re-elected. The pay is practically nothing and you are a glorified complaint department.

Now, the City Manager is a different story. 6 figure job and he truly runs the city. Of course, he is hired and approved by council.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:55 pm

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Not sure why the council wants to be re-elected. The pay is practically nothing and you are a glorified complaint department.

Now, the City Manager is a different story. 6 figure job and he truly runs the city. Of course, he is hired and approved by council.

Power trip.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:03 pm

duffy munn wrote:

And it's much easier to get financing for apartments. Putting provisions in place for owner occupied condos kills a lot of projects. The project would be underway if there were no such provisions. And a grocery store? You've got to be kidding me. There's not enough density for that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:16 pm

duffy munn wrote:

That's too bad, I was wondering what would go good there. That would be perfect. What is the reasoning about the senior citizens? I'm not following.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 pm

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Power trip.

I've known many council people over the years and this is some what accurate. I never understood it. Lots of hours for next to no money. I think it pays around 11k a year.

Others have used the position as a spring board to better political positions. ( Sam Singh, Mark Meadows)

A very select few actually had the cities best interest at heart and understood the importance of MSU.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:23 pm

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

That's too bad, I was wondering what would go good there. That would be perfect. What is the reasoning about the senior citizens? I'm not following.

It would be perfect. It makes sense and would benefit the entire downtown.

For years I looked across the street to that eyesore. For years I was led to believe something big was going to be developed. I told council members I would believe it when I saw a crane and a wrecking ball.

5 years after I was gone, a crane and a wrecking ball showed up. To knock down the small building.

Now this. Sad and pathetic.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:40 pm

NigelUno wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:

How do you know this. Perhaps there were legit reasons to place restrictions on the developers.  As usual you're talking out your ass

Unless you think downtown needs apartments for senior citizens?  East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! 502811600

Tanner is looking for a place in MI
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:15 am

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

For years I looked across the street to that eyesore. For years I was led to believe something big was going to be developed. I told council members I would believe it when I saw a crane and a wrecking ball.

5 years after I was gone, a crane and a wrecking ball showed up. To knock down the small building.

Instead of trolling on message boards 24/7 why don't you and your pal Nigel run for council? I mean you're so smart and everything. Instead of screaming at clouds get off your ass and do something.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:17 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

With depressed land prices real estate in Michigan is a losing proposition. I'll rent a cabin up north during the summer.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:01 am

Tanfan! wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Instead of trolling on message boards 24/7 why don't you and your pal Nigel run for council? I mean you're so smart and everything. Instead of screaming at clouds get off your ass and do something.

I assume you're going to apply to coach the MSU football team then.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:45 am

DWags wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:06 am

Tanfan! wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

There was a time when I was very politically active. Sitting on numerous boards and commissions. That time is gone.

And blow me.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:31 am

DWags wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:

Now this would be the perfect fit.

Tanner as the Head Coach:
-freak out and fire the DC
-recruit more like Brady Hoke
- Listen to the announces to form opinions and schemes
-eliminate the cover two
-have contempt for players not good enough to contribute, or God forbid, fail as 20 year olds
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:35 am

But at least we would cover the wheel route!!
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:29 am

Tanfan! wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

With depressed land prices real estate in Michigan is a losing proposition. I'll rent a cabin up north during the summer.

Let me know and I'll get you a nice place on the river up here, but away from all the Mio hubbub.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:36 am

Tanfan! wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

you'll love it up there.. simply amazing.

So many family memories to be made.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:06 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:

you'll love it up there.. simply amazing.

Bob, as a longtime East Lansing resident do you have any thoughts on this development ?

I hate to tear you away form your repetitive Up North shctick but I'm really curious what you think about the blighted corner and our inept city government.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:11 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:you'll love it up there.. simply amazing.

Bob, as a longtime East Lansing resident do you have any thoughts on this development ?

I hate to tear you away form your repetitive Up North shctick but I'm really curious what you think about the blighted corner and our inept city government.
it's okay.. I can put my love of Up North and excitement for football season to the side for a minute..

to be honest, I don't really know the details about that corner. I know the city government seems to be incredibly disconnected with what I suspect is best for the city of East Lansing.. I get the feeling that there are a bunch of old people (no offense, Goose) who want EL to remain stuck in the 50's (no offense, Goose) and are unwilling to recognize that the world around them in changing and in order to remain viable, they need to evolve, as well.

but, yeah, I've gotten to the point where fact and rumor/myth seems to have gotten blurred with regard to various East Lansing issues. I love downtown.. I'm downtown in one fashion or another probably 2-3 times a day. Luckily, we live close enough where we can walk so that makes it much more convenient and accessible.

okay.. back to football and Up North.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:14 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

it's okay.. I can put my love of Up North and excitement for football season to the side for a minute..

to be honest, I don't really know the details about that corner. I know the city government seems to be incredibly disconnected with what I suspect is best for the city of East Lansing.. I get the feeling that there are a bunch of old people (no offense, Goose) who want EL to remain stuck in the 50's (no offense, Goose) and are unwilling to recognize that the world around them in changing and in order to remain viable, they need to evolve, as well.

but, yeah, I've gotten to the point where fact and rumor/myth seems to have gotten blurred with regard to various East Lansing issues. I love downtown.. I'm downtown in one fashion or another probably 2-3 times a day. Luckily, we live close enough where we can walk so that makes it much more convenient and accessible.

Thanks for the honest response, Bob.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled schtick.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 am

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's okay.. I can put my love of Up North and excitement for football season to the side for a minute..

Thanks for the honest response, Bob.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled schtick.
GO GREEN!!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:55 am

2 projects now competing with each other.

http://eastlansinginfo.org/content/park-district-plan-goes-council-ahead-center-city-proposal

Park District:

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! Convexity_building_a_from_southwest_april_8_2017_0

Center City:

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! 1_center_city_seen_from_sw_march_22_2017_0
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 am

NigelUno wrote:2 projects now competing with each other.

http://eastlansinginfo.org/content/park-district-plan-goes-council-ahead-center-city-proposal

Park District:

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! Convexity_building_a_from_southwest_april_8_2017_0

Center City:

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! 1_center_city_seen_from_sw_march_22_2017_0

The city center project may actually have a chance this time.

Big money and a locally respected investor.

Or course, council will find a way to fuck it up.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:47 am

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:2 projects now competing with each other.

Park District:

Center City:

The city center project may actually have a chance this time.

Big money and a locally respected investor.

Or course, council will find a way to fuck it up.

They seem to be catering to the Council by including a Senior building. I bet the Council asks for a height reduction in the buildings.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 am

Look What’s Coming to Barrio East Lansing

Opening mid-February.

East Lansing Downtown - Progress on the Corner! Detail_barrio_band_photo_by_raymond_holt_0

https://barrio-tacos.com/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down