Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

old dudes: you cannot retire fast enough

+14
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
tGreenWay
SomeFanName
duffy munn
The_Dude
BleacherSwill
AnomanderRake
Death Roe
InTenSity
kingstonlake
Watch Out Pylon!
Blanch32
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

old dudes:  you cannot retire fast enough - Page 2 Empty Re: old dudes: you cannot retire fast enough

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-10-04, 11:40

Blanch32 wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

None of the above is true actually. His tools were competitive in price and lead time, likely because he runs such a small shop with low overhead. I don't remember him ever missing a single delivery either, hands down one of the best suppliers I've ever worked with.

Yea, against other midwest molders...

YAFI
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

old dudes:  you cannot retire fast enough - Page 2 Empty Re: old dudes: you cannot retire fast enough

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-04, 13:00

Blanch32 wrote:especially in the mfg industry. you starch resistance to technology and the modern world has ruined this industry in the US. you are nothing but dead weight and should feel bad. that's is all.

If I were in manufacturing I'd kill myself.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-04, 13:03

TheReal_LWS wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:especially in the mfg industry.  you starch resistance to technology and the modern world has ruined this industry in the US.  you are nothing but dead weight and should feel bad.  that's is all.

Why? You get sent to hell for that.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2016-10-04, 13:19

AnomanderRake wrote:The best plastics engineer I've ever worked with was a 70 year old dude that runs a small shop in Grand Haven. Age is just a number, there are great, highly intelligent workers in all age groups.

You seem like a reasonable, well-adjusted and productive member of society. What the hell are you doing here?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-10-04, 13:46

The_Dude wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

What's it like to live life so obsessed?

You can achieve success through hard work.  Sorry you dont feel that way and that the world is out to get you.

I seriously doubt you are successful at anything if interpret my question that way. In fact I'd say you're more than likely a cataclysmic failure with those comprehension skills.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-10-04, 14:08

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

That's how bad it is to work in manufacturing........
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-10-04, 14:44

Blanch32 wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

None of the above is true actually. His tools were competitive in price and lead time, likely because he runs such a small shop with low overhead. I don't remember him ever missing a single delivery either, hands down one of the best suppliers I've ever worked with.

You know there are a lot more elements to good sourcing than unit price and tooling costs, right?
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-10-04, 14:49

SeeRockCity wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:The best plastics engineer I've ever worked with was a 70 year old dude that runs a small shop in Grand Haven. Age is just a number, there are great, highly intelligent workers in all age groups.

You seem like a reasonable, well-adjusted and productive member of society. What the hell are you doing here?

It's a tough job but somebody has to bring balance to the force here.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-04, 15:22

TheReal_LWS wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

And it's this thought process that has gutted the economy.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-10-04, 15:24

yeah, to shoe horn everyone into being "too old" or "too inexperienced" or "too young" or whatever is shortsighted at best, ignorant at most.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-05, 08:46

GRR Spartan wrote:I'm old and have 24-30 year old engineers calling me to consult on their projects.  

There are things out in the workplace that still don't replace experience.  The issue I often see is total faith in computer programs and not physically visiting the site.  

For instance the program said 18' poles for a city streetscape.  Lighting was great on the layout but the engineer had never visited the site so he didn't know there are 4 blocks of 2nd floor residential apartments on every building except the movie theater and an old post office converted to a restaurant.  Add 26" fixtures and the light source was dead center in a shitload of front windows. (We dropped the poles to 15' so they fit between the 1st and second floor facade and added 4 poles)

My cousin had to delay his retirement from his medium size accounting firm because in his words, "The damnned new guys never read IRS bulletins, they just plug numbers into the program."  In his case he had a long time client with multiple businesses who would have ended up paying over $2M in taxes because of the firm's error and he really wanted the valuation before the client tried to take it out of their hide (and his since he was a principle)

Rave on blanch.  What makes you truly dangerous in factory settings is that you really think you know everything.

This scenario is exactly what I'm talk8ng about couldn't have been a better example. period. here we have a old dude bragging about wasting time and money to solve a problem because, for all his old ass friends experience, he still hasn't figured out how to input all the correct info upfront. baby boomers pride themselves on this type of shit it's enfuriating.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-05, 08:48

TheReal_LWS wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Bee isn't far off with this statement
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-05, 08:49

AnomanderRake wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

You know there are a lot more elements to good sourcing than unit price and tooling costs, right?

You got it guarantee my my guy in Taiwan can do this work for half the costs, and probably the same lead time including ocean freight.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-10-05, 16:58

Blanch32 wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

You got it guarantee my my guy in Taiwan can do this work for half the costs, and probably the same lead time including ocean freight.

The unit price delta would depend on the size of the part and how many post-mold operations are required but I agree it would be significantly lower in Asia. Our effective lead time was at most 1 day though for all high volume parts as they were inventoried by the supplier and delivered each morning.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-10-05, 18:02

Blanch32 wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

Let me know how you're going to handle a quarantine issue on a bad run of product. Let me know how your end user deals with you telling him you're going to fly out some guy from Tiawan to handle the situation. Let me know how he handles (if you want to be honest with him) that you can't guarantee the product he has in service is not contaminated. But hey, you got that shit cheap. Let me know if you have any luck recouping your losses or suing. Hopefully it goes better than your lawsuit with Verizon.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-10-05, 21:30

Blanch32 wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

Hopefully you are factoring in the inevitable expedited air freight and Chinese Surprise! into your piece cost.

But since you are doing the GD&T, PFEMAs and control plans...what could possibly go wrong?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2016-10-06, 08:08

Blanch32 wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

that's why there's a surge in reshoring. because of dumbos like you.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2016-10-06, 08:09

there is this little thing called "cost of quality" that simple people don't understand.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-10-06, 08:23

Blanch's Cpk is -1.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-06, 08:53

AnomanderRake wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

The unit price delta would depend on the size of the part and how many post-mold operations are required but I agree it would be significantly lower in Asia. Our effective lead time was at most 1 day though for all high volume parts as they were inventoried by the supplier and delivered each morning.

Fwiw, you can get the same lead time with a vmi warehouse.....sounds like you are automotive.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-06, 08:57

kingstonlake wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Let me know how you're going to handle a quarantine issue on a bad run of product. Let me know how your end user deals with you telling him you're going to fly out some guy from Tiawan to handle the situation. Let me know how he handles (if you want to be honest with him) that you can't guarantee the product he has in service is not contaminated. But hey, you got that shit cheap. Let me know if you have any luck recouping your losses or suing. Hopefully it goes better than your lawsuit with Verizon.

Lol. prepare for the worst! such a old man tactic!

....and yes, I do realize you need quality boots on the ground in Asia to do this effectively and need the volume to justify the cost too.

...and this wheremail your apqp really is tested. just how good are your quality folks? if they are typical boomers, you are screwed since they rather play fireman.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-06, 08:59

Nordic wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Hopefully you are factoring in the inevitable expedited air freight and Chinese Surprise! into your piece cost.

But since you are doing the GD&T, PFEMAs and control plans...what could possibly go wrong?

You got it. plus you need to control their sources too. ran into fake resin a few years ago believe it or not.

....and a vmi warehouse works, but boomers are too stupid to actively manage the inventory levels since they can't work proactively or with basic algebra.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-06, 09:00

AMwood wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

that's why there's a surge in reshoring. because of dumbos like you.

This is a Myth. restoring is more to do with inventory and risk mitigation. not a trend. instead thst work g9es to Mexico if you are extremely lucky to find a company down there that gives a shit
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-06, 09:02

AMwood wrote:there is this little thing called "cost of quality" that simple people don't understand.

theReS a thing called clear detailed specificactions and cpks that boomers don't understand
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2