Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who ya got in the vote for MSU board of trustee??

+6
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
Tim Wakefield
DWags
Turtleneck
CORNER BLITZ
10 posters

Go down

Who ya got in the vote for MSU board of trustee?? Empty Who ya got in the vote for MSU board of trustee??

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:49 pm

William Dreary
Dan Kelly
Dianne Byrum
Diann Woodard
Justin Burns
Gregory Scott Stempfle
Angela Grandy
Will Tyler White

Who will for the Spartanswill?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Who ya got in the vote for MSU board of trustee?? Empty Re: Who ya got in the vote for MSU board of trustee??

Post by Turtleneck Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Who will be most supportive of FB and BB? That is what matters most. Do not vote for the dorks that talk about academics, libraries, shit like that. Those people think sports are secondary to the mission of the school. Complete dorks.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Who ya got in the vote for MSU board of trustee?? Empty Re: Who ya got in the vote for MSU board of trustee??

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:00 pm

Turtleneck wrote:Who will be most supportive of FB and BB? That is what matters most. Do not vote for the dorks that talk about academics, libraries, shit like that. Those people think sports are secondary to the mission of the school. Complete dorks.

Are the people that talk about academic centers for athletes disqualified too?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:01 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Who will be most supportive of FB and BB? That is what matters most. Do not vote for the dorks that talk about academics, libraries, shit like that. Those people think sports are secondary to the mission of the school. Complete dorks.

That supports FB and BB dumb dumb
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Torn. Until two years ago I didn't give a fuck about my alma maters academics. Can't help me at all. But now that the kid is there I'm thinking I should pay attention. So I'd say I'm 90% athletics for me to live vicariously through 10% academics for the kid. Cause it's only undergrad. Who gives a shit about that anymore.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:02 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

As long as they are not the kind of centers that distract from an athlete's performance. You know, where the athletes have all of these academic resources and find out there is stuff they like learning, and then stop taking easy classes that do not count toward a degree and let their academics interfere with their athletics. As long as the academic centers are places to watch film and take naps, they are fine.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:04 pm

DWags wrote:

Torn. Until two years ago I didn't give a fuck about my alma maters academics. Can't help me at all. But now that the kid is there I'm thinking I should pay attention. So I'd say I'm 90% athletics for me to live vicariously through 10% academics for the kid. Cause it's only undergrad. Who gives a shit about that anymore.

You are the worst kind of fan. You have totally sold out for learning shit.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:06 pm

I'm writing in Bernie.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:I'm writing in Bernie.

Wake will you text me who you're voting for in the pres please?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

You are the worst kind of fan. You have totally sold out for learning shit.

Good point. I honestly don't give a fuck about academics. I hope the kid gets in a good grad school but I'll take gvsu for her and football championships for me. (I'm pretty sure she wants that too. GVSU and BTCC's and maybe a natty
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Now you're thinking!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Whomever gets voted in will probably be a part of the search to replace LAKS, so they'll need to find a pres who also only cares about FB and BB. Ken Starr might be available.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:22 pm

tGreenWay wrote:Whomever gets voted in will probably be a part of the search to replace LAKS, so they'll need to find a pres who also only cares about FB and BB. Ken Starr might be available.

Good point, Greenway. Please vote carefully.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:25 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Whomever gets voted in will probably be a part of the search to replace LAKS, so they'll need to find a pres who also only cares about FB and BB. Ken Starr might be available.

Always. My research always includes surreptitiously following the candidates around for a few days. I'm almost through the list. The good news is I've only received two PPOs during this election cycle. That's my personal best.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm voting for Joel Ferguson.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Side note, I know he's a self important weasel, but do you remember when we thought Joel Ferguson was the problem? Guess not.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:31 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Always. My research always includes surreptitiously following the candidates around for a few days. I'm almost through the list. The good news is I've only received two PPOs during this election cycle. That's my personal best.

Just make sure you do not vote for the person that would prefer to expand the library before expanding Spartan Stadium. Don't vote for a loser.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:34 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Just make sure you do not vote for the person that would prefer to expand the library before expanding Spartan Stadium. Don't vote for a loser.

I'm saving my votes for the two who want to 1) brick the exterior, 2) enclose the stadium, 3) erect the giant Spartan statue.

And now, I must take my leave in order to cook.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:38 pm

Greenway why do you eat at 10pm it's not good for you
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Greenway why do you eat at 10pm it's not good for you

Stop watching Oprah and eat whenever you want
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:44 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Greenway why do you eat at 10pm it's not good for you

You ever gotten the munchies, ordered conrads at midnight and regret it the morning? Not. Good.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:47 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

You ever gotten the munchies, ordered conrads at midnight and regret it the morning? Not. Good.

Nothin better than waking up from a blackout with a half eaten conrads wrap in the fridge
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Nothin better than waking up from a blackout with a half eaten conrads wrap in the fridge

You order two...one for the night and one to wake up to
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:53 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:

You think I got an extra $20 laying around bro??
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:54 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

You think I got an extra $20 laying around bro??

Who ya got in the vote for MSU board of trustee?? 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:56 pm

He didn't say he was going to eat, he said he was going to cook. I think he was talking about meth.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:25 am

Cameron wrote:

He didn't say he was going to eat, he said he was going to cook. I think he was talking about meth.

You're goddamn right.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:28 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

This. The kid goes to Colorado and all that oxygen deprivation s'got him damn near as stupid as the folks who spend hours watching daytime tv. I'm embarrassed for him, really.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:26 pm

bump

who's going to push MSU to the top and not be a complete dickbag to the university?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:28 pm

I truly don't care.

and by that I mean, it really doesn't matter to me.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:44 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Side note, I know he's a self important weasel, but do you remember when we thought Joel Ferguson was the problem? Guess not.

I remember.  My biggest beef with Ferguson has always been his attention to the spotlight.  There's no place for individual trustees to be either questioning the performance or issuing votes of confidence for head coaches. Especially guys who auction off their Citrus Bowl rings on ebay.  The only reason we haven't heard much from him since 2007 is WINNING. I've got to believe that he's done when his term is up in 2020.

ps, aren't trustees subject to term limits? This guy has been around since the mid-80s.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Deary
http://www.deary4msu.com/

Kelly - best looking site
http://electdankelly.com/

Both the Diann(e)s are current trustees
https://trustees.msu.edu/about/byrum.html & https://www.facebook.com/DianneByrumMSU
https://trustees.msu.edu/about/woodard.html

Tyler with the tbt site he made in cse 101
http://willtylerwhite.org/

Last edited by CORNER BLITZ on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:33 pm

http://thevoterguide.mlive.com/m/candidate-detail.do?id=15207149

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:47 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:http://thevoterguide.mlive.com/m/candidate-detail.do?id=15207149

The Pubs want to build a wall sounds like.

Also none of the candidates listed "men's revenue sports" as one of their top 3 priorities. Pass.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Dianne Byrum (Dem)
founding partner at Byrum & Fisk Communications
HIGH SCHOOL: Leslie High School (1972)
UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE: B.S. Michigan State University, College of Agriculture & Natural Resources (1974), Associate Degree, Lansing Community College (1973)

Why are you running for office?
I have always lived by the adage: “You have a personal responsibility to give back to society for what you have been privileged to receive.” This core belief has been at the center of my public service career, including my service on the Board of Trustees.
I have a passion for education and I believe that a degree from Michigan State University should always represent a high value for the student and for the State of Michigan.

What are your top three priorities?
1. My top priority is to make sure students from all walks of life have access to an affordable, valuable college education. Attention must be given to cost containment, which enables MSU to restrain the cost of attendance.
2. Ensuring MSU is a safe place for learning, teaching and living. I support increasing resources for student mental and physical health, enacting strong policies and adequate funding for programs to address sexual and relationship violence and supporting inclusion of all people.
3. Maintaining MSU’s standing as a global leader in higher education and working to be better tomorrow than we are today. The Facility for Rare Isotype Beams (FRIB) is just one example, elevating the physics program to worldwide excellence and scholarship that will lead to new discoveries and cutting edge research. We should continue to identify similar opportunities across the university.

What is the most pressing issue for this office?
The university budget and tuition levels are critical issues for the Board. Higher education funding from the State of Michigan over the past decade is 47th in the nation. On a dollar-for-dollar basis, MSU receives the same amount of funding per student as the university received in 1991. The state’s reduction in funding is a primary driver of the increasing cost of higher education.
We should always look for ways to keep costs down at the university and limit tuition increases on students and their families. We should encourage undergraduate degree completion within four years; provide support to reduce drop-out-rates; and maintain university-supported scholarships to ensure the high value of an MSU education. I believe all trustees must prioritize and fully understand the budget process, given the significance of this issue for all students and families.

William Deary (Rep)
Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, Great Lakes Caring Home Health and Hospice
UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE: B.A., Education, Mathematics and Science- Michigan State University
GRADUATE COLLEGE: M.A., Educational Psychology, Psychometrics- Michigan State University

I am running for the MSU Board of Trustees because I care deeply for the University, having received both my B.A. and M.A. from MSU and I am concerned MSU is becoming unavailable and unaffordable to middle class Michigan families. MSU is a $1.3B business and the Board of Trustees is the University's board of directors. For the past 40 years, including the past 22 at Great Lakes Caring Home Health and Hospice, which I co-founded in 1994 with my wife Cheri Lyn, I have managed businesses. Over that time I have built and refined those skills, qualities and principles necessary to operate a successful business. These are the same qualities that are needed to manage and solve the challenges facing MSU.

I am deeply concerned that MSU is quickly becoming unavailable and unaffordable for Michigan families. I find it unacceptable that students today are potentially unable to do as I did, work while attending school to significantly reduce or eliminate altogether, college loan related debt. I am also concerned MSU is becoming increasingly dependent on non-resident students, shunning Michigan residents in favor of the larger tuition checks paid by out-of-state and out-of-country students. As a result, I will propose and lead the Board of Trustees to: 1) Freeze tuition for in-state students and 2) Cap the number of out-of-state and out-of-country students enrolled at MSU.
My third priority is to ensure the Board of Trustees is acting as a good financial steward. Attending MSU represents a significant investment for students and families. Additionally, MSU receives substantial support from Michigan taxpayers. Trustees provide oversight to ensure dollars are spent responsibly.

I believe the most pressing issues facing MSU are: 1) escalating in-state tuition rates and 2) the increasing acceptance of the University on out-of-state and out-of-country students because of the higher tuition they pay. We must embrace equally qualified in-state students who are currently being squeezed by recurring annual tuition rate increases. I will propose and lead the effort to freeze in-state tuition. I will also propose and lead when it comes to capping non-resident student enrollment. When equally qualified, in-state students, should be admitted over non-resident students. Let’s keep our homegrown talent in MI.

Dan Kelly (Rep)
Giarmarco, Mullins & Horton, P.C - attorney and currently an equity partner and member of the Firm's Board of Directors
HIGH SCHOOL: St. Alphonsus High School - Dearborn, Michigan - 1979
UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE: Western Michigan University - Bachelor of Science Degree - 1984
GRADUATE COLLEGE: University of Detroit School of Law - J.D. Degree - 1987

With my oldest child a graduate of MSU, two children being current students and a fourth child likely to attend in a couple of years, I have a strong love and vested interest in the University. I believe my experience as a school and municipal attorney for the past 28 years, as well as my experience having sat on a college board provides me the experience and qualifications to help the University. I believe there are trends at MSU that are not in the best interest of Michigan residents. Good board leadership should strive to keep MSU accessible to Michigan residents.

1) Control the budget and the increases in expenditures 2) Control tuition increases 3) Keep MSU accessible to Michigan residents by prioritizing Michigan residents over out-of-state students

The primary job of any governmental board, including the MSU Board of Trustees, is controlling the budget. With almost thirty years experience dealing as legal counsel and having sat on public boards, the Board of Trustees primary function is the approval of the institution's annual budget. In the case of MSU, we have experienced on average $50,000,000 expenditure increases over the past ten years. These increases have resulted in dramatic tuition increases and the admittance of more and more out-of-state students who pay higher tuition rates. The result is that more and more Michigan residents are denied access to MSU or cannot afford it. As a land grant University, our primary objective should be to teach a practical education to the residents of Michigan.

Gregory S. Stempfle (Lib)
HIGH SCHOOL: Dearborn, 1994
UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE: Wayne State, BS Biology, 2000 Wayne State, BS Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 2008
GRADUATE COLLEGE: Wayne State, MS Molecular Biology, 2014

I am running for the Board to give Michigan residents and students an additional and underrepresented voice with regard to university spending and policies. Right now, the Trustees are all Democrats and Republicans. Having members from more than two political views will make it more diverse and inclusive and bring new ideas to the board.
I have recently earned a post-graduate degree from a public university in Michigan (MS Molecular Biology, WSU 2014). This makes me with familiar with the challenges facing university students, both while attending school and again as recent graduates.

Candidate response is not yet available.

The biggest issue facing the University is the rising cost of tuition and the debt that its students incur. I will not vote for any tuition increases. MSU has expanded far beyond its original role as a public university and this has come at the cost of burdening an entire generation of graduates. The university simply must scale back its operations and spending.

Will Tyler White (Grn)
Entrepreneur, owner of White Bros. Music
HIGH SCHOOL: Ferndale High School, class of 1967
UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE: Michigan State University, continuing education student

High tuition rates, student debt and better graduate outcomes are the most pressing issues. The ability to obtain a marketable degree with a high probability of success in the real world is poorly addressed.
As a student at MSU I learned that some degrees are more valuable than others, but little information is available to quantify that and guide the selection of which major to pursue.
The other important lesson I learned firsthand was how Teaching Assistants with poor English skills made it difficult to understand complex subjects like statistical analysis. I also learned that TA's had little or no job security and were underpaid for the amount of work they did compared to that of professors.
As an entrepreneur for forty years, my real world business experience is an asset many academics lack. Applying cost/benefit analysis to expenditures can help make the university more fiscally responsible and allow for fewer tuition rate increases.

The financial integrity of the University is paramount. Approving balanced budgets and monitoring implementation for lower tuition rates is a priority.
Maintaining and improving infrastructure and staff in a manner conducive to providing the opportunity for each student to realize their highest potential. That includes ensuring maximum value is obtained for funds expended.
Providing an equal educational opportunity to all qualified students to exercise the rights of academic freedom, especially tolerance for freedom of expression and full deliberation of issues, in an intellectual climate that challenges and encourages the vigorous development and expression of the human mind and spirit.

Higher education has become unaffordable for a lot of people, and costs continue to escalate. Reducing student debt with better financing options and facilitating better graduate outcomes are the most pressing issues. Offering degrees without a high probability for a successful, prosperous career is worthless for most students. Better guidance on what careers will be in demand, and which degrees may have little or no marketable value are important factors that need more scrutiny.
In business, when a contract is breached, losses sustained from the failure to execute the contract can be recouped through the courts. The implied contract between students and universities could be formalized. If students spend $100,000 to earn a degree and are unable to earn a living sufficient to justify that expense, they should be allowed free or reduced tuition for additional education - or get a refund.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:http://thevoterguide.mlive.com/m/candidate-detail.do?id=15207149

Also none of the candidates listed "men's revenue sports" as one of their top 3 priorities. Pass.

I'm writing you in WBH
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Freep endorsements (includes other universities)

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/editorials/2016/10/22/endorsements-univeristy-michigan-state-wayne/92531520/

Michigan State University

We urge Michigan voters to return incumbent DIANNE BYRUM, a Democrat, to the Michigan State University Board of Trustees. Byrum, a small business owner and former state lawmaker, has a solid record of capable service. She advocates for increased board transparency, community consensus and input. Byrum deserves a second term on the board.

For the second seat on the board, we endorse Republican DAN KELLY, albeit with some hesitation. As an attorney, Kelly has represented school districts over his 28-year career, and has held seats on the Independence Township Board of Trustees and the Oakland County Community College Board of Trustees — experience that should serve him in good stead on the MSU board. Kelly has a clear understanding of the limitations of a trustee’s responsibilities and oversight, believes in increased transparency for university boards, and has an admirable zero-tolerance stance against sexual violence on college campuses.

But we are concerned that Kelly does not fully appreciate the importance of diversity in a school’s student body. Nor do we share Kelly’s belief that labor costs are the most significant driver of university tuition increases — state cuts to higher education funding is the primary culprit. Still, among the remaining candidates, Kelly wins our endorsement.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:57 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I'm writing you in WBH

I would make a sweet candidate. Once stood up to the bully M. Pete in a public forum. He did not like that.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:36 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

I'm writing you in WBH

I would make a sweet candidate. Once stood up to the bully M. Pete in a public forum. He did not like that.
details please
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down