Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No one believes the fucking news anymore

+16
Herbie Green
Death Roe
InTenSity
Rocinante
Blanch32
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
xsanguine
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
NigelUno
steveschneider
20 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

No one believes the fucking news anymore Empty No one believes the fucking news anymore

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:15

Every fucking moron in this country is stuck in their own echo chamber.

2+2 = 5

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

No one believes the fucking news anymore Empty Re: No one believes the fucking news anymore

Post by NigelUno Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:18

Hi steve. Welcome back.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

No one believes the fucking news anymore Empty Re: No one believes the fucking news anymore

Post by DWags Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:18

steveschneider wrote:Every fucking moron in this country is stuck in their own echo chamber.

2+2 = 5

This is why we needed you on this board.   You cut through the fog and tell it straight.  

Cheers.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:19

I want to be stuck inside your echo chamber, Steve.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:20

pretty sure I haven't believed the "news" since about 1982...

oh - except that it's "liberal".. that I believe. No one believes the fucking news anymore 1494614055
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:23

I'm going to get a subscription to the NYT, Was Post or WSJ.

Leaning towards the WSJ because I want my beliefs challenged by brilliant thinkers. What's your favorite news source?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:24

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I want to be stuck inside your echo chamber, Steve.

Steve must have escaped from my echo pit. I'll have to shore up my outer defenses.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:28

steveschneider wrote:I'm going to get a subscription to the NYT, Was Post or WSJ.

Leaning towards the WSJ because I want my beliefs challenged by brilliant thinkers. What's your favorite news source?

I'm going to do the same actually but I was going in between nyt and wsj.

Anyway yeah, most people at this point are just reading news from sources that validate their own beliefs so they can feel justified and "right" rather than considering the possibility that they don't actually know everything about an issue and that perhaps their party's mouthpiece is slightly biased. It's pretty fucked up really, but whatever.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:36

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I'm going to get a subscription to the NYT, Was Post or WSJ.

Anyway yeah, most people at this point are just reading news from sources that validate their own beliefs so they can feel justified and "right" rather than considering the possibility that they don't actually know everything about an issue and that perhaps their party's mouthpiece is slightly biased. It's pretty fucked up really, but whatever.

I met a blogger the other day that has 4 million followers. He was working in an autoparts store of all places and he was telling me about how George Soros turned in jews to the Nazis.

First off, 4 million followers is bigger than the most news papers audiences. That's fucked up.

Second, I googled his claim and it looks like that theory started with Anne Coulter.

Bottom line I don't know George Soros but he is probably a huge asshole, but there's so much horse shit out there these days and it is coming out of the spreader at an alarming rate.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:38

Maybe I should start a blog.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 11:40

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Maybe I should start a blog.

There's a lot of pussies out there that can have their ideas challenged. If you tap into what they want to hear you will get an audience.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 15:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Yeah, I think the best solution is probably to read as much of all three as you can. And when you find something you think is correct find a credible source from the other side that will challenge your ideas.

All summer I got way into the PBS News Hour segment with Brooks and Shields. Expert analysis and you got to hear from two credible writers from both sides.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 15:11

check the mainstream media coverage given to Trump vs. other candidates in the primary and Hillary/Bernie

No one believes the fucking news anymore CxZVgktWQAAXu8g

the amount of free publicity he was given, not to mention the way the mainstream media normalized his hate speech, is practically criminal.

of course, if there are people out there that believe what they see/hear on the "news", that's all that matters.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 15:29

No one believes the fucking news anymore F2orbsm95yxx
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 15:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:check the mainstream media coverage given to Trump vs. other candidates in the primary and Hillary/Bernie

the amount of free publicity he was given, not to mention the way the mainstream media normalized his hate speech, is practically criminal.

of course, if there are people out there that believe what they see/hear on the "news", that's all that matters.

Donald Trump got 1.9 billion dollars worth of free media time. The bulk of it came from panel discussions on cable news networks, interview shows like Morning Joe etc. Most of that stuff is just discussions on topics and opinion segments.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 15:45

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:check the mainstream media coverage given to Trump vs. other candidates in the primary and Hillary/Bernie

Donald Trump got 1.9 billion dollars worth of free media time. The bulk of it came from panel discussions on cable news networks, interview shows like Morning Joe etc. Most of that stuff is just discussions on topics and opinion segments.
exactly - which has the mainstream media talking heads lining up to defend his hate speech in the name of ratings.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 15:46

steveschneider wrote:Every fucking moron in this country is stuck in their own echo chamber.

2+2 = 5

If you were around during the election everything would be just fine. Thanks Steve.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 16:51

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

2+2 = 5

If you were around during the election everything would be just fine. Thanks Steve.

Are we blaming steve for this? I'm on board with that. Fucking steve.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 17:18

Cameron wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I forger why you hate me so much, can you remind me?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 17:40

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Because you're the worst. You love UK/Cal, you cheat at euchre, and I strongly suspect that your breath stinks. Every time you post, a beloved family pet is euthanized somewhere in the world.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 18:00

2+2 = 5

And everybody surrounds themselves in with like-minded individuals to on social media, so their world-view is filtered. Except  tSwillers of course.

Plus they get fake news stories in from facebook.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 18:20

I have friends who I used to think were rational now thinking scientists have an agenda if they think fossil fuels contribute to climate change.

Had one message me today cackling about global warming because we are having a couple of 60 degree days this late in Nov.

Its gotten to the point where folks are picking and choosing science beliefs and linking them to political views.

To me is the fake news being generated outside the US like a faux Presidential endorsement or worse that were found to be coming out of Macedonia.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 19:50

Floyd Robertson wrote:

2+2 = 5

And everybody surrounds themselves in with like-minded individuals to on social media, so their world-view is filtered. Except  tSwillers of course.

Plus they get fake news stories in from facebook.

New rule in Macomb County that Donald Trump does not want you to know about.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 22:14

Antineoplastons wrote:I wish it were true, but unfortunately the sheeple lap up ALL the fake media stories...the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin one was especially appalling.  The media is just as corrupt as the gov't.

https://truthernews.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/trayvon-martin-murder-trial-false-flag-terror-threat-assessment-race-war-race-riots-bus-terror-molotov-cocktail-attacks-trending/

Then there's bat crazy or trolls like some of the Wells posters with 7 screen names like Gus Fring with the false flag bullshit.

How about you get killed by some schmuck with a gun and some asshole calls it a false flag operation.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 23:05

GRR Spartan wrote:I have friends who I used to think were rational now thinking scientists have an agenda if they think fossil fuels contribute to climate change.

Had one message me today cackling about global warming because we are having a couple of 60 degree days this late in Nov.

Its gotten to the point where folks are picking and choosing science beliefs and linking them to political views.

To me is the fake news being generated outside the US like a faux Presidential endorsement or worse that were found to be coming out of Macedonia.

It's also to the fucking level where if you are talking to someone about some shit trying to have a little debate and you tell them the basis for your opinion is from a New York Times article or something you read on the BBC and they'll look at you like you are some gullible dip shit that believes the lies from corporate media.

Shit is fucked up.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 16 Nov 2016 - 23:31

Cameron wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Because you're the worst. You love UK/Cal, you cheat at euchre, and I strongly suspect that your breath stinks. Every time you post, a beloved family pet is euthanized somewhere in the world.

I think you also you got mad one time because I insisted that Clare was the gateway to the north?

I think the only problem I ever had with you is that you used to mix cranberry juice with gin. Other than that I just thought you could use a little bit of anger management.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 5:16

steveschneider wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:I have friends who I used to think were rational now thinking scientists have an agenda if they think fossil fuels contribute to climate change.  

It's also to the fucking level where if you are talking to someone about some shit trying to have a little debate and you tell them the basis for your opinion is from a New York Times article or something you read on the BBC and they'll look at you like you are some gullible dip shit that believes the lies from corporate media.

Shit is fucked up.

I had a guy on facebook tell me that using snopes and politifact as sources is equivalent to using infowars as a source. Guess who he fucking voted for.

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I think you also you got mad one time because I insisted that Clare was the gateway to the north?

I think the only problem I ever had with you is that you used to mix cranberry juice with gin. Other than that I just thought you could use a little bit of anger management.
I had forgotten about the Clare thing. The gin and cranberry juice and anger management are still as true as ever.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 9:46

The guy was right - Snopes and Politifact are as biased as any other source.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 9:51

people that get their "news" from the mainstream media might as well get their news from their racist drunk uncle at Thanksgiving... or TMZ.. or People Magazine..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 10:12

LooseGoose wrote:The guy was right - Snopes and Politifact are as biased as any other source.

I don't know anything about Snopes, I'm probably inclined to agree with you that it is a flawed source on the internet.

I'm not sure what their process is of debunking the bullshit on the internet but it's sad that we live in a day and age where we need a service like that.

The WSJ, NYT and Wash Po each could probably expand their papers with a section solely devoted to debunking all the fake bullshit that is being spread around the internet by the alt left, alt right, the blogosphere and all of the clever photoshoppers distorting images.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 10:22

Antineoplastons wrote:I wish it were true, but unfortunately the sheeple lap up ALL the fake media stories...the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin one was especially appalling.  The media is just as corrupt as the gov't.

https://truthernews.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/trayvon-martin-murder-trial-false-flag-terror-threat-assessment-race-war-race-riots-bus-terror-molotov-cocktail-attacks-trending/

Regarding your statement about the media being as corrupt as the government. I think that line of thinking is exactly what has put us in this mess where everyone is turning to bullshit media sources on both the left and the right. Say what you want about the New York Times, the WSJ or Washington Post but its far more credible than any blogger or the info that's regurgitated on our facebook walls.

I'm turning back to institutions. I want to get my news from trained journalists that fact check, get their information from sources and are trained in AP style writing.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 10:55

Post-truth politics (also called post-factual politics) is a political culture in which debate is framed largely by appeals to emotion disconnected from the details of policy, and by the repeated assertion of talking points to which factual rebuttals are ignored.

And there we have it, post-truth is the word of the year for the Oxford Dictionary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/16/post-truth-named-2016-word-of-the-year-by-oxford-dictionaries/
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 10:56

I guess credit goes to Stephen Colbert he nailed it with his word of the day 'Truthiness'.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 11:43

steveschneider wrote:

Regarding your statement about the media being as corrupt as the government. I think that line of thinking is exactly what has put us in this mess where everyone is turning to bullshit media sources on both the left and the right. Say what you want about the New York Times, the WSJ or Washington Post but its far more credible than any blogger or the info that's regurgitated on our facebook walls.

I'm turning back to institutions. I want to get my news from trained journalists that fact check, get their information from sources and are trained in AP style writing.

I mean people aren't wrong, major media corporations are in cahoots with the government and the same wealthy donors that control our politicians. But you're right that bloggers are infinitely worse in general so it's kind of a catch-22.

I like to read a little bit of everything to get a feel for the landscape. There's also a neutral politics sub on Reddit where the forum rules dictate that everything must be backed up with sources which generates some really great discussion backed up by facts and data.

AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 12:00

Antineoplastons wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The mainstream media is entirely owned and controlled by the decisions of their corporate masters. If they actually investigated the truth they would have exposed 9-11 over 10 years ago. Nobody can explain Building 7 just collapsing entirely on its own, NOBODY. They don't even cover Architects and Engineers for Truth 9-11, which consists in the thousands of them questioning the official story. Now that you/we live in the Information age, if you can't see that the media and gov't are in bed with each other then you never will understand this. The entire media is owned by the same 6 corporations.

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2015/08/28/the-illusion-of-choice-90-of-american-media-controlled-by-6-corporations/

If you can cite a credible news source or an actual expert that supports that theory I will consider it.

I'm combating post-truth America. Show me a professor from an Ivy League institution, Cal Tech, MIT, Cambridge, Oxford and so on that supports that theory. Or send me something from the NYT, WSJ, LA Times, Wa Post, BBC that supports that theory.

I'm turning towards the experts for information.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 12:04

AnomanderRake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I mean people aren't wrong, major media corporations are in cahoots with the government and the same wealthy donors that control our politicians. But you're right that bloggers are infinitely worse in general so it's kind of a catch-22.

I like to read a little bit of everything to get a feel for the landscape. There's also a neutral politics sub on Reddit where the forum rules dictate that everything must be backed up with sources which generates some really great discussion backed up by facts and data.

I think cable news is terrible. They are forced to fill a 24/7 cycle and they get way off track. Most of it is just panel discussions anyways so you aren't getting reporting you are just getting talking heads giving their point of view.

I think PBS News Hour does a pretty good job, i see a lot of conservative intellectuals on there that have differing points of views than I do. They also pull in professors from leading institutions that give their take on events.

That reddit group sounds interesting, but if people are citing bull shit fake news I don't know if its that worth while. Can you post a link I'd love to give it a look.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 13:08

You kind of have to pay attention over the years and determine character on your own. Filter all your news through that and figure out what's a total lie, what's a have lie then a half truth, and then the 5% of times some sort of truth is mentioned. The media have been caught in so many editing snafus, complete fabrications... no point trusting any news story from any source. The only way to 100% believe something is when you see it with your own eyes. The rest is GRR's tinfoil hat collection.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 14:05

LooseGoose wrote:The guy was right - Snopes and Politifact are as biased as any other source.

Okay, what the fuck does that video have to do with it though?

Also, please back up that assertion in some way.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 14:09

steveschneider wrote:

I don't know anything about Snopes, I'm probably inclined to agree with you that it is a flawed source on the internet.

I'm not sure what their process is of debunking the bullshit on the internet but it's sad that we live in a day and age where we need a service like that.

The WSJ, NYT and Wash Po each could probably expand their papers with a section solely devoted to debunking all the fake bullshit that is being spread around the internet by the alt left, alt right, the blogosphere and all of the clever photoshoppers distorting images.

For the record, the snopes article I linked to was: http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-disqualified/

You'll note that it is in fact sourced and contains solid legal reasoning.

And also for the record, I cited politifact only to back up my assertion that Donald Trump is a fucking liar, an assertion I didn't ever expect to be challenged in the first place.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 14:43

steveschneider wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:

I think cable news is terrible. They are forced to fill a 24/7 cycle and they get way off track. Most of it is just panel discussions anyways so you aren't getting reporting you are just getting talking heads giving their point of view.

I think PBS News Hour does a pretty good job, i see a lot of conservative intellectuals on there that have differing points of views than I do. They also pull in professors from leading institutions that give their take on events.

That reddit group sounds interesting, but if people are citing bull shit fake news I don't know if its that worth while. Can you post a link I'd love to give it a look.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeutralPolitics/

Citing fake bullshit news will get your post deleted. Making claims without sources will also get your post deleted. The sticky at the top of the sub states how heavily moderated it is, and they aren't kidding.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next