Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out?

+30
kingstonlake
I.B. Fine
Triple Sparty
The_Dude
tGreenWay
Frank Ricard
NigelUno
By-Tor
Blanch32
Nordic
TheReal_LWS
CORNER BLITZ
y2kMgrad
BleacherSwill
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
duffy munn
WhiteGreenShow
Clarett's Folly
Herbie Green
Other Teams Pursuing That
Death Roe
Turtleneck
aualum06
DWags
34 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out? - Page 4 Empty Re: Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out?

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-30, 15:00

DWags wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

Honestly, as long as we had some geographic opponents (meaning I have no desire to be in a conference with Utah, Va Tech, Boston College, and TCU) I'd be fine with them blowing-up the Big Ten.

Being devils advocate, I can honestly see a ton of people from college administrators to influential alumni to coaches and fans that would bitch about their conference being dissolved.

Yeah, for sure. Does the Big 12 have the same esprit de corps that the Big Ten has, though? It seems like the Big Ten has been around forever and the member schools all seem to get along whereas I'm surprised every year the Big 12 has another football season.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out? - Page 4 Empty Re: Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out?

Post by DWags 2016-11-30, 15:12

Clarett's Folly wrote:
DWags wrote:

Being devils advocate, I can honestly see a ton of people from college administrators to influential alumni to coaches and fans that would bitch about their conference being dissolved.

Yeah, for sure. Does the Big 12 have the same esprit de corps that the Big Ten has, though? It seems like the Big Ten has been around forever and the member schools all seem to get along whereas I'm surprised every year the Big 12 has another football season.

Then you get into dividing up t.v. money.  Texas has a sweet deal.  The big ten schools got paid like 25-35 million didn't they?   I love Travis idea.  In a perfect world, it's well, perfect.  But we don't have that easy of a line to 4 major conferences.  Everything can be worked out, but it will be way more difficult than what we think at first blush.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-30, 15:16

DWags wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

Then you get into dividing up t.v. money.  Texas has a sweet deal.  The big ten schools got paid like 25-35 million didn't they?   I love Travis idea.  In a perfect world, it's well, perfect.  But we don't have that easy of a line to 4 major conferences.  Everything can be worked out, but it will be way more difficult than what we think at first blush.

Fucking Texas.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-11-30, 15:35

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not always dwags. 4 conferences with 8 8 team divisions. No human element at all. Except for the refs who obvi hate michigan.

Why not just 8, 8 team conferences?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-30, 15:36

[quote="LooseGoose"]
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not always dwags. 4 conferences with 8 8 team divisions. No human element at all. Except for the refs who obvi hate michigan.[/quote

This

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-11-30, 15:38

TheReal_LWS wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Bottom line they need to come up with a system where wins and losses determines who makes it. That's it end of discussion.

This evaluation process is pure bull shit.

You mean like the NFL? Where a 9-7 Lions team could win their division, while teams with better records (probably in the East) could miss the playoffs? And not only that but then the Lions get to host a team with a better record for the first round of the playoffs?

All systems are imperfect. You have to have rules for qualifying to make the playoffs. This is why I was against the CFP, everyone was saying how great it would be, but I knew there would be whining about the teams that were #5-8 complaining they should be there over #4. To quote Abraham Lincoln (a great Republican!): "You can't please all of the people all of the time."

Baseball you have 162 games and 19 games × 4 opponents within same division (76 games), 6 or 7 games x 10 opponents interdivision within same league (66 games), 20 interleague games[2].

I can safely say after watching this last season the best two teams ended up in the WS, and I think the best team came out on top. They did it through competition and actual wins.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-11-30, 15:39

How about 33 3 team conferences?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-30, 15:41

Back to the politics and money of letting UM in -

Isn't this the same reason that will prevent this from happening? I don't know if I have just dreamt that up but I can't imagine the powers that be allowing one conference to hog more than their share.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-30, 15:42

LooseGoose wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not always dwags. 4 conferences with 8 8 team divisions. No human element at all. Except for the refs who obvi hate michigan.

just because then youre completely blowing up the system and there are other sports to consider. 4 16 team conferences really isnt thaaaat much of an adjustment. Unless youre the big 12. But at least its only one instead of everyone.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-11-30, 15:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

just because then youre completely blowing up the system and there are other sports to consider. 4 16 team conferences really isnt thaaaat much of an adjustment. Unless youre the big 12. But at least its only one instead of everyone.

Well not really since you can't play true round robins in any sport now - even basketball.

With an 8 team conference you could play:
7 conference games and 5 non-conference in FB.
14 conference games in nearly every other sport - Home/Away.
"minor" sports could travel together to save $$.

With everyone playing everyone you'd have true champions.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-11-30, 15:56

Herbie Green wrote:Back to the politics and money of letting UM in -

Isn't this the same reason that will prevent this from happening? I don't know if I have just dreamt that up but I can't imagine the powers that be allowing one conference to hog more than their share.

imo scums joke BCS game helped add to the negativity and demise of the BCS
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-11-30, 15:58

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Back to the politics and money of letting UM in -

imo scums joke BCS game helped add to the negativity and demise of the BCS

That was like a fly landing on a camel. The BCS was a major joke from day one.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-11-30, 16:03

Had to find this again but remembered it from reddit a few years ago

proposed 4 league super conferences
-each with 3 divisions run like international soccer with promotion and relegation to different divisions

Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out? - Page 4 3321956
Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out? - Page 4 3321958
Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out? - Page 4 3321960
Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out? - Page 4 3321959
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-30, 16:15

LooseGoose wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Well not really since you can't play true round robins in any sport now - even basketball.

With an 8 team conference you could play:
7 conference games and 5 non-conference in FB.
14 conference games in nearly every other sport - Home/Away.
"minor" sports could travel together to save $$.

With everyone playing everyone you'd have true champions.

The diffdrence between what im saying and what you are is pretty much semantics frim a competitive standpounts. Its effectively the same thing, just depends what you want to call it. The real difference lies in yhe money and contracts and all that.... thats what makes 4 16 team conferences a lot more sellable, even though competitively its no different.

also let me just reiterate that those in control love their soap opera instead of an actual competitively fair sport, so none of thus will evef happen.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-11-30, 16:23

I may have to change my entire train of thought when Caputo said the same thing I did.

Pat Caputo - A concrete plan to cure what is ailing the College Football Playoff

The conference champion in each of the Power 5 conferences would receive an automatic bid to the CFP. It would force the Big 12 to add a title game and perhaps expand. It would kick off the postseason with incredible intensity because the conference championship games would be so meaningful.

That would still leave three at-large bids, nearly the size of the current field. It would allow the necessary wiggle room to make sure a top team, such as Ohio State last season, is not left out, and to make it more possible for a potentially worthy team outside the Power 5, such as Western Michigan this year, to get in. It would also solve the current Big Ten problem regarding Michigan.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-11-30, 16:31

Floyd Robertson wrote:I may have to change my entire train of thought when Caputo said the same thing I did.

Pat Caputo - A concrete plan to cure what is ailing the College Football Playoff

The conference champion in each of the Power 5 conferences would receive an automatic bid to the CFP. It would force the Big 12 to add a title game and perhaps expand. It would kick off the postseason with incredible intensity because the conference championship games would be so meaningful.

That would still leave three at-large bids, nearly the size of the current field. It would allow the necessary wiggle room to make sure a top team, such as Ohio State last season, is not left out, and to make it more possible for a potentially worthy team outside the Power 5, such as Western Michigan this year, to get in. It would also solve the current Big Ten problem regarding Michigan.

8 Teams are too many. fuck rematches. win the mofo games!!! this aint basketball!!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-11-30, 16:36

Blanch32 wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I may have to change my entire train of thought when Caputo said the same thing I did.

8 Teams are too many. fuck rematches. win the mofo games!!! this aint basketball!!
M
Yup it de values games. This UM OSU game is so big!!! But the loser still gets in..
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-30, 16:40

Any plan that includes the "at large" bid is massively flawed in my opinion.
We need to remove the beauty pageant aspect from football.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-11-30, 16:49

The problem is that there is no current Big Ten problem regarding Michigan outside of Michigan.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-30, 16:54

The more I read or hear about debate surrounding the CFP the less I am interested in it. Man CFB is getting old.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-30, 17:00

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The more I read or hear about debate surrounding the CFP the less I am interested in it. Man CFB is getting old.

Amen, brother. I'm really appreciating the lack of NFL playoff speculation right now.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-30, 17:05

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:The more I read or hear about debate surrounding the CFP the less I am interested in it. Man CFB is getting old.

It's professional football and wwe in college uniforms. Students? Lol.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-30, 17:06

DWags wrote:

It's professional football and wwe in college uniforms. Students? Lol.

Yep.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-11-30, 17:39

Remove conference championship games.  
Power five conferences champions from each division get it.  
Thats 10 teams.  
The 2 teams with the best strength of schedule Advance to the final 4. (encourages scheduling good teams)
The two teams without an opponent play each other.
The other games are scheduled as conference match ups
The other 8 teams playoff til 2 remaining. (two games)
Start your final four.
It adds only one week to the season.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-30, 17:48

Oregon coach gets paid $11 million to get fired. 37-16 and a national title game.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-11-30, 17:56

Herbie Green wrote:Oregon coach gets paid $11 million to get fired. 37-16 and a national title game.

Oregon doesn't realize they are a no tradition, smallish fan base.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4