Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out?

+30
kingstonlake
I.B. Fine
Triple Sparty
The_Dude
tGreenWay
Frank Ricard
NigelUno
By-Tor
Blanch32
Nordic
TheReal_LWS
CORNER BLITZ
y2kMgrad
BleacherSwill
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
duffy munn
WhiteGreenShow
Clarett's Folly
Herbie Green
Other Teams Pursuing That
Death Roe
Turtleneck
aualum06
DWags
34 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out?

Post by Herbie Green 2016-11-30, 08:38

I.B. Fine wrote:
Frank Ricard wrote:Normally I would love chaos. But this week I want status quo - Washington and Clemson win.

I still can't believe in if both UW and Clemson lost, they'd put in both the winner of the B1G AND umaa, and have 3 teams from the same conference in. If they did, the other conferences might actually just blow up the entire format and leave the NCAA.

This is one scenario where I'd love to see the chaos.
It's always fun when the curtain gets pulled back and you see what's really going on. Go PSU, Colorado and Hokies!

I agree plus it will be extra entertaining when UM gets their hopes crushed again.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are you convinced the loser of Uofm osu is out?

Post by steveschneider 2016-11-30, 10:29

What's even the point of me watching the conference championship game if both teams are automatically jumped by a OSU a team that didn't win their division?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-11-30, 11:11

steveschneider wrote:What's even the point of me watching the conference championship game if both teams are automatically jumped by a OSU a team that didn't win their division?

There isn't one
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2016-11-30, 11:13

steveschneider wrote:What's even the point of me watching the conference championship game if both teams are automatically jumped by a OSU a team that didn't win their division?

What makes you so sure they won't be jumped by TWO other teams from the same division who didn't qualify for the championship?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-11-30, 11:14

because you can bet on it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-11-30, 11:21

This:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/columnist/george-schroeder/2016/11/30/college-football-playoff-rankings-ohio-state-washington-michigan-colorado-bedlam-winner/94654334/
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-11-30, 11:22

And lets' face it. It doesn't really matter. Everyone else is playing for second after Alabama.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-11-30, 11:24

Un fucking real that all UM needs is CU to beat Washington and they are in.

If Michigan was called Iowa, theyd be ranked 9th.

Why even the play the games if the results dont matter?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-11-30, 11:27

TheReal_LWS wrote:And lets' face it. It doesn't really matter. Everyone else is playing for second after Alabama.

Im just not so sure. The SEC is so down this year, hard to get a read just how good Bama is.

But the res of college football is way way down. Just the fact Wisky, PSU, Colorao, Ok St, are ranked so high.

And even Clemson and O$U were much much better last year.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-11-30, 11:38

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/columnist/george-schroeder/2016/11/30/college-football-playoff-rankings-ohio-state-washington-michigan-colorado-bedlam-winner/94654334/

"Again, that’s not a referendum on how good the Wolverines are, but they’re not getting in ahead of 11-1 Ohio State, which beat them. And if the Big Ten finds a way to get two teams in, it won’t be two teams that didn’t win the conference.

Got that?"
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-11-30, 12:17

kingstonlake wrote:

What makes you so sure they won't be jumped by TWO other teams from the same division who didn't qualify for the championship?

Yeah, it's absurd. This is like the year that MSU got jumped by Michigan for a BCS bowl vs. S. Carolina when we narrowly lost the B10 Championship game. I guess the big take away is don't go to the B10 Championship game?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-11-30, 12:23

The_Dude wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:And lets' face it. It doesn't really matter. Everyone else is playing for second after Alabama.

Im just not so sure. The SEC is so down this year, hard to get a read just how good Bama is.

But the res of college football is way way down. Just the fact Wisky, PSU, Colorao, Ok St, are ranked so high.

And even Clemson and O$U were much much better last year.

Agreed. Wish we had cook and crew this year.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-30, 12:49

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

In the end WBH, I think the flaw in your thinking (philosophy?  belief system) is that you have never given enough weight to brand name and suits at network.   Suits who were stung by the ratings taking a huge hit last year.  Suits that know if they get the right brand name, they bring in more money.  Oh, lets say we have a Harbaugh vs. Saban match up, two coaches who shot their mouths off at each other this summer.  How will america like that?  

Like somebody said, does anybody really believe if Michigan's name was Iowa and they lost two of three they wouldn't be further down than 5th?   We were always told that it's when you lose that matters.  Really?   Bullshit.  It's not when you lose, it's the band name you have when you lose.  

I wouldn't even have started this thread if I didn't believe that would be a huge factor.  If anyone can find the head of the committee talking to ESPN last night after he came out, he looked nervous. I think he knows he was full of shit.   

And you know who really is being anal raped in all of this?  Oklahoma State.  They did not lose to Central, not by any definition of the rule.  That game was over.  If they don't have that phony loss hung on them, they have to be between Wisconsin and PSU right now.  If they win in Bedlam?   Shit, they should be the one leap frogging shit. 

I'm telling you guys, Clemson or Washington takes a loss here.   Call it whatever you like, but OSU vs. (clemson or washington) and Michigan vs. Bama.  

I called it here first.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-11-30, 12:57

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

In the end WBH, I think the flaw in your thinking (philosophy?  belief system) is that you have never given enough weight to brand name and suits at network.   Suits who were stung by the ratings taking a huge hit last year.  Suits that know if they get the right brand name, they bring in more money.  Oh, lets say we have a Harbaugh vs. Saban match up, two coaches who shot their mouths off at each other this summer.  How will america like that?  

Like somebody said, does anybody really believe if Michigan's name was Iowa and they lost two of three they wouldn't be further down than 5th?   We were always told that it's when you lose that matters.  Really?   Bullshit.  It's not when you lose, it's the band name you have when you lose.  

I wouldn't even have started this thread if I didn't believe that would be a huge factor.  If anyone can find the head of the committee talking to ESPN last night after he came out, he looked nervous. I think he knows he was full of shit.   

And you know who really is being anal raped in all of this?  Oklahoma State.  They did not lose to Central, not by any definition of the rule.  That game was over.  If they don't have that phony loss hung on them, they have to be between Wisconsin and PSU right now.  If they win in Bedlam?   Shit, they should be the one leap frogging shit. 

I'm telling you guys, Clemson or Washington takes a loss here.   Call it whatever you like, but OSU vs. (clemson or washington) and Michigan vs. Bama.  

I called it here first.

This is coming perilously close to the CFP becoming the new BCS.

One way out is to take four of the five P5 conference champions.  One gets left out and there will always be controversy about that.  Another way out is to take the five P5 champs and three at-large teams.

I'm open to either, but leaving out conference champs in favor or at-large teams is pure bullshit.  I don't care if they aren't "the best" four teams.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-11-30, 13:00

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Media is just lazy and loves to repeat themselves. Should be easy enough to make up stories about other teams to get ratings but that would take effort when instead you could just say block M, bo, helmets, harbs.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-11-30, 13:11

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

I called it here first.

One way out is to take four of the five P5 conference champions.  One gets left out and there will always be controversy about that.  Another way out is to take the five P5 champs and three at-large teams.

I'm open to either, but leaving out conference champs in favor or at-large teams is pure bullshit.  I don't care if they aren't "the best" four teams.

I dont think you can just blantantly say ake all the P5 champs because what happens if Va Tech or Florida upsets Bama or Clemson?

VT and Florida arent even top 20 teams and just because they pull one upset doesnt mean they get in.

With unbalanced scheduling, I dont agree with conference champs getting a free pass. Only if you played everyeon in your conference, then it would make sense.

Look at the B1G this year...the 3rd and 4th best teams are playing for the title.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-11-30, 13:13

Our division had a round robin to determine the champ

1 - PSU
2 - O$U
3 - scum

if you swapped the names with exactly the same results, no one would be saying the best team PSU is staying at home.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-11-30, 13:15

The_Dude wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I dont think you can just blantantly say ake all the P5 champs because what happens if Va Tech or Florida upsets Bama or Clemson?

VT and Florida arent even top 20 teams and just because they pull one upset doesnt mean they get in.

With unbalanced scheduling, I dont agree with conference champs getting a free pass.  Only if you played everyeon in your conference, then it would make sense.

Look at the B1G this year...the 3rd and 4th best teams are playing for the title.

What I said was I don't care if the "best" four teams aren't playing.

You want in? Win your conference.  I don't care about unbalanced conference schedules. If you can't win your conference, you're out, unless the field expands to eight.

I want as much subjectivity out of this as possible.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-11-30, 13:19

What about Western Michigan?

There should be a special trophy for the team that goes undefeated during the regular season and gets hosed by the selection process.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-11-30, 13:20

Go Hokies!
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-11-30, 13:23

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Our division had a round robin to determine the champ

1 - PSU
2 - O$U
3 - scum

if you swapped the names with exactly the same results, no one would be saying the best team PSU is staying at home.

Exactly. If UM didnt have the brand name, they'd be ranked 8th and no even relevant in the playoff process.

Its a popularity contest for $$.

Last year, MSU TOOK what they wanted, and couldnt be denied as the uninvited guess. Similar to Washington...go 12-1 and win your conference, you're in.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-11-30, 13:28

my self-esteem is wrapped up in scUM not making the tournament.. please, PLEASE.. don't let them make it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-11-30, 13:33

The_Dude wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:Our division had a round robin to determine the champ

1 - PSU
2 - O$U
3 - scum

Exactly.  If UM didnt have the brand name, they'd be ranked 8th and no even relevant in the playoff process.

except you just said...except you just said...
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-30, 13:33

If michigan makes the cfp and the big ten champion doesnt then college football is dead and no longer worthy of attention. Hell, even if they put in three big ten teams its dead. Its getting to be nothing more than a reality show for men.

Ive been saying it for years now, but the solution is quite simple. Get rid of the big 12, have four 16 team conferences. The winners of each division play in the championship game which would essentially be the quarter finals. Winners advance. Simple. No muss no fuss, no polls no stupid eye test. Theyll never do it because thry thrive on controversy.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-11-30, 13:34

with the officiating last night at the basketball game, I definitely don't need scUM to get into the football playoff.

my emotions have had enough already this week.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-11-30, 13:37

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If michigan makes the cfp and the big ten champion doesnt then college football is dead and no longer worthy of attention. Hell, even if they put in three big ten teams its dead. Its getting to be nothing more than a reality show for men.

Ive been saying it for years now, but the solution is quite simple. Get rid of the big 12, have four 16 team conferences. The winners of each division play in the championship game which would essentially be the quarter finals. Winners advance. Simple. No muss no fuss, no polls no stupid eye test. Theyll never do it because thry thrive on controversy.

The beauty is in the simplicity.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-11-30, 13:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If michigan makes the cfp and the big ten champion doesnt then college football is dead and no longer worthy of attention. Hell, even if they put in three big ten teams its dead. Its getting to be nothing more than a reality show for men.

Bottom line they need to come up with a system where wins and losses determines who makes it. That's it end of discussion.

This evaluation process is pure bull shit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-11-30, 13:56

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Exactly.  If UM didnt have the brand name, they'd be ranked 8th and no even relevant in the playoff process.

except you just said...except you just said...

I dont get what one has to do with the other.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-30, 13:57

steveschneider wrote:

Bottom line they need to come up with a system where wins and losses determines who makes it. That's it end of discussion.

It's bullshit because you will always have the human element which is swayed by money and brand names.  As much as people believe they can be unbiased, they are always willing to be swayed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-11-30, 14:00

Not always dwags. 4 conferences with 8 8 team divisions. No human element at all. Except for the refs who obvi hate michigan.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-11-30, 14:21

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

It's bullshit because you will always have the human element which is swayed by money and brand names.  As much as people believe they can be unbiased, they are always willing to be swayed.

Pretty much.

At least the division champs are based on a w/l record.

Both Wisconsin and PSU earned their division championships. At least that part is BS free.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-30, 14:30

Exactly this. If Michigan is selected to the playoff then college football is essentially WWE wrestling and we should start calling it "sports entertainment."
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-30, 14:33

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not always dwags. 4 conferences with 8 8 team divisions. No human element at all. Except for the refs who obvi hate michigan.

You're logic is sound and man would I love that.  Then just fucking win and your in.  ND?   Join a conference.  However, just for arguments sake, lets say we get rid of the big ten conference instead of the big 12.  Are we all good with that?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-11-30, 14:45

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Not always dwags. 4 conferences with 8 8 team divisions. No human element at all. Except for the refs who obvi hate michigan.

You're logic is sound and man would I love that.  Then just fucking win and your in.  ND?   Join a conference.  However, just for arguments sake, lets say we get rid of the big ten conference instead of the big 12.  Are we all good with that?

As long as MSU joins the new 16 team big 12 conference, yes.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-30, 14:45

DWags wrote:

Honestly, as long as we had some geographic opponents (meaning I have no desire to be in a conference with Utah, Va Tech, Boston College, and TCU) I'd be fine with them blowing-up the Big Ten.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-11-30, 14:46

Clarett's Folly wrote:
DWags wrote:

Honestly, as long as we had some geographic opponents (meaning I have no desire to be in a conference with Utah, Va Tech, Boston College, and TCU) I'd be fine with them blowing-up the Big Ten.

I don't even care about that really.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-11-30, 14:47

steveschneider wrote:

You mean like the NFL? Where a 9-7 Lions team could win their division, while teams with better records (probably in the East) could miss the playoffs? And not only that but then the Lions get to host a team with a better record for the first round of the playoffs?

All systems are imperfect. You have to have rules for qualifying to make the playoffs. This is why I was against the CFP, everyone was saying how great it would be, but I knew there would be whining about the teams that were #5-8 complaining they should be there over #4. To quote Abraham Lincoln (a great Republican!): "You can't please all of the people all of the time."
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2016-11-30, 14:48

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

I don't even care about that really.

The roadies, bruh. How am I supposed to go to all these road games when it's a two day drive just to get there?
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-11-30, 14:50

Clarett's Folly wrote:
DWags wrote:

Being devils advocate, I can honestly see a ton of people from college administrators to influential alumni to coaches and fans that would bitch about their conference being dissolved.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-11-30, 14:50

We are older now and have enough money to fly and expand our horizons. (regardless I think my days of driving to Bloomington and/or flying to Utah are over for the next few years, thus my indifference)
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next