Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-29, 16:56

Another new breakfast/lunch place in Troy (Big Beaver/Rochester), open 7am-2:30 pm.  This one is a small chain with other locations in Toledo and a bunch in the Cleveland area.  Menu looks awesome.

First Watch menu

BLT Benedict
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 Menu_b10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 18:21

We got an air frier for Xmas. Going to try to make some General Tso’s chicken. Also, I made the best tacos last night with my instapot. There’s some pretty kick ass kitchen appliances out there these days.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-12-29, 18:32

steveschneider wrote:We got an air frier for Xmas. Going to try to make some General Tso’s chicken. Also, I made the best tacos last night with my instapot. There’s some pretty kick ass kitchen appliances out there these days.

Fucking New Yorkers.

Jk Steve. I love you man.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-29, 18:34

steveschneider wrote:We got an air frier for Xmas. Going to try to make some General Tso’s chicken. Also, I made the best tacos last night with my instapot. There’s some pretty kick ass kitchen appliances out there these days.
Review the air fryer.     I've eyeballed them a few times and am skeptical.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-29, 19:18

LooseGoose wrote:
Review the air fryer.     I've eyeballed them a few times and am skeptical.
I share your skepticism and would like to know how well they work. Had a deep fryer die years ago and never replaced it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-12-29, 19:41

I have one. It's fine. I wouldn't say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I experimented with potatoes/fries a bit. I got some waffle cutter device. It did a good job but it's not quite the same as real fried. You can splash some peanut oil/oil on your stuff which helps a little. It's just hot air circulating, essentially it's a convection oven. I've done wings. They're pretty good. I got pretty fond of grilling wings on my ceramic, though. Where it does its best work is heating up frozen food, which works with chicken tenders and pizza rolls and stuff like that that my kids will occasionally eat. Also I find it reheats pizza much better and faster than traditional oven/microwave methods.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-12-29, 19:52

Cleaning on the grandparents house, found a deep fryer that I brought home with me today
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-12-29, 20:14

aualum06 wrote:Cleaning on the grandparents house, found a deep fryer that I brought home with me today

I use mine about twice a year.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-12-29, 20:16

DWags wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Cleaning on the grandparents house, found a deep fryer that I brought home with me today

If I use it twice a year I'll be impressed but I can say I have one now lol. Fry up some wings in that sucker though
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-12-29, 20:18

aualum06 wrote:
DWags wrote:

If I use it twice a year I'll be impressed but I can say I have one now lol. Fry up some wings in that sucker though

It’s really important that you put the right quoting together. It’s a shit ton of work cleaning up for what it produces. Pain in the ass actually.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-12-29, 20:20

DWags wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

It’s really important that you put the right quoting together. It’s a shit ton of work cleaning up for what it produces. Pain in the ass actually.

College roommate had one. messy is an understatement
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 20:25

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have one. It's fine. I wouldn't say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I experimented with potatoes/fries a bit. I got some waffle cutter device. It did a good job but it's not quite the same as real fried. You can splash some peanut oil/oil on your stuff which helps a little. It's just hot air circulating, essentially it's a convection oven. I've done wings. They're pretty good. I got pretty fond of grilling wings on my ceramic, though. Where it does its best work is heating up frozen food, which works with chicken tenders and pizza rolls and stuff like that that my kids will occasionally eat. Also I find it reheats pizza much better and faster than traditional oven/microwave methods.

Just got done eating the first meal. We called an audible and made sweet and sour with tofu. I have to say that was the best tofu I’ve had at home. We just did it because we thought it would be an easier first time meal.

The real test will be potatoes and the chicken. Will follow up once we do so. First impression I’m not a big tofu fan but like it in Chinese food on occasion and tonight it delivered.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-12-29, 20:27

steveschneider wrote:that was the best tofu I’ve had at home

Maybe the weirdest thing I've ever read on the internet.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 20:32

DWags wrote:

An Xmas tradition at my father in laws they pull out the frier and make home fries. Odd tradition but whatever. At any rate I do not like the fries at all. They are way too soggy and are missing something. Just asked my wife about them and she did some internet research to figure out why they are so bad. On the internet it says you need to let the potatoes dry out after you cut them. Cut them up, let them air dry for a few hours and then fry them. I guess you have to shake the grease off a lot as well.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 20:33

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Ha!! If I had my way it would have been chicken tonight. We’ve had so much bad food last couple of weeks over the holidays I guess we were doing a bit of detox. Tofu it was.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-29, 20:35

Floyd Robertson wrote:

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 502811600  Agree
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-29, 20:47

steveschneider wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Ha!! If I had my way it would have been chicken tonight. We’ve had so much bad food last couple of weeks over the holidays I guess we were doing a bit of detox. Tofu it was.
Tofu for detox? Stick to fermented soy products

What Is Tofu? 8 Reasons to Not Eat This ‘Healthy’ Vegan Product
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 20:58

The Pantry wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Tofu for detox? Stick to fermented soy products

I read a scientific report recently that said 9.5 out 10 people that eat tofu are going to die someday.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-12-29, 21:04

I'm about to fire up some WDW popcorn, extra butter flavored oil.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-29, 21:22

DWags wrote:

My daughter has one that she uses almost exclusively to deep fry dill pickles.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-29, 21:25

steveschneider wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Tofu for detox? Stick to fermented soy products

I read a scientific report recently that said 9.5 out 10 people that eat tofu are going to die someday.
Cute.

Years of Alzheimer's before dying is nothing I'd want my family to have to deal with.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 21:44

The Pantry wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Cute.

Years of Alzheimer's before dying is nothing I'd want my family to have to deal with.

True. I only have tofu like once maybe twice a year. I have to say though every food I read about someone comes out and says it’s bad for you. My .02 eat a balanced diet and exercise.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-12-29, 21:51

I eat tofu in miso soup at Sapporo probably twice a week. Way too much sushi.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 46520892151_4745013a4e_b
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-12-29, 21:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I eat tofu in miso soup at Sapporo probably twice a week. Way too much sushi.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 46520892151_4745013a4e_b

Jealousy
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 21:59

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I eat tofu in miso soup at Sapporo probably twice a week. Way too much sushi.

I know on a primarily sports board it’s the norm to bash tofu. With Asian food sometimes it’s the right call. The shit we did up tonight was good in the air frier was good. The few times I tried cooking it at home in the past were disasters.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 22:00

aualum06 wrote:

Jealousy

I agree that shit is awesome. Wbh you have a home theater?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-29, 22:01

steveschneider wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Cute.

True. I only have tofu like once maybe twice a year. I have to say though every food I read about someone comes out and says it’s bad for you. My .02 eat a balanced diet and exercise.
Still sorta chuckling you chose tofu for "detox".
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-29, 22:02

The Pantry wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Ha. The wife picked it and I was just rolling with the flow. Wait until we make the general tso’s. I’ll give another review soon.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-12-29, 22:17

steveschneider wrote:
I agree that shit is awesome. Wbh you have a home theater?

Not in the traditional sense. Ask Girbaud to post pics of his. Mine is a sports area of my basement with a 101" projector screen, 2 27" flatscreens and a 23" flatscreen.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-29, 22:35

steveschneider wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Ha. The wife picked it and I was just rolling with the flow. Wait until we make the general tso’s. I’ll give another review soon.
Don't always listen to your wife.  Interested to read your review.  But, don't use chicken.  Harbaugh says it's a nervous bird.  

Can't recall any recipes making General Tso's with duck, pork, lamb, beef, etc.  You could be breaking new culinary ground...
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans 2018-12-30, 10:13

Bought 2 huge cowboy bone-in I cooked on Xmas day. Neighbors were supposed to come over but cancelled due to a sick kid.  My kids are 7 and 4 so I didnt think they would eat any of it.  We made a good dent.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 Img_2011
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 Img_2010
GirbaudJeans
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-31, 06:50

Had some friends over last night to make some wings and drink a few beers. Made some of the wings in the oven and the others in the air fryer. Have to say the air fryer wings were really good. Very crispy and better than the ones from the oven. My complaint about the air fryer is it’s small and can only hold about 8 wings which isn’t enough for two people. Both the tofu and the wings came out better than they would have in our other appliances .
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-12-31, 07:30

steveschneider wrote:
An Xmas tradition at my father in laws they pull out the frier and make home fries. Odd tradition but whatever. At any rate I do not like the fries at all. They are way too soggy and are missing something. Just asked my wife about them and she did some internet research to figure out why they are so bad. On the internet it says you need to let the potatoes dry out after you cut them. Cut them up, let them air dry for a few hours and then fry them. I guess you have to shake the grease off a lot as well.

Drying your potatoes will not make crispy fries.  You air dry them to prevent the grease from splattering (which will happen if there is water on them).

The secret to crispy fries with fresh cut potatoes is to deep fry them twice.  Preferably the first time at 325 then the second time at 375.  Frying them a third time will make them even better.  Use russet potatoes.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2018-12-31, 10:33; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-12-31, 08:49

MSU addict wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Drying your potatoes will not make a crispy fries.  You air dry them to prevent the grease from splattering (which will happen if there is water on them).

The secret to crispy fries with fresh cut potatoes is to deep fry them twice.  Preferably the first time at 325 then the second time at 375.  Frying them a third time will make them even better. Use russet potatoes.

excellent advice. Nothing I hate more than a fry that isn’t crispy.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-04, 13:11

Wags? We've talked before about the similarity of foods that our grandparents served. I don't know what you think of dill pickles but I go through a lot of them. Most mass market dills are much more sour than my grandma used to can.

I happened on these a week or so ago and tried a jar - they're as close to my grandma's as any I've ever had. Might try a jar if you see them on the shelf.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 C884f310
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-04, 14:36

I’m doing Paella tonight. Chicken thighs sausage and shrimp. I’ll let you guys know.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-08, 14:41

re: the air fryer, I was too lazy to light the grill and the only fresh chicken I had in the house were wings so I popped em in the air fryer for lunch. Not sure if this shows you much but this is about 20 minutes @ 400.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 32792281218_8065d9c233_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-08, 14:52

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:re: the air fryer, I was too lazy to light the grill and the only fresh chicken I had in the house were wings so I popped em in the air fryer for lunch. Not sure if this shows you much but this is about 20 minutes @ 400.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 32792281218_8065d9c233_c

I was actually reading reviews on Amazon yesterday.

Those look pretty good. So faster than an oven too.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-08, 14:58

Yeah they were pretty crispy. I literally did nothing to them at the point I took this pic. Right from the cryovac into the bucket in the air fryer, no seasoning or anything. In my experience you can't really overcook wings. I'm sure I could have left them in for another 5-10 if I wanted to make them even more crispy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-08, 15:14

GirbaudJeans wrote:Bought 2 huge cowboy bone-in I cooked on Xmas day. Neighbors were supposed to come over but cancelled due to a sick kid.  My kids are 7 and 4 so I didnt think they would eat any of it.  We made a good dent.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 Img_2011
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 23 Img_2010

I got a bone in ribeye once at my local butcher. How'd you cook it? The one I got was as thick as my fist and was a pain in the ass to get an even cook all the way through.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next