Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

+38
GRR Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
indianaspartan
Heat Miser
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
I.B. Fine
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
WhiteBoyHatcher
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
SawGreen
Tim Wakefield
Dendrobates
Clarett's Folly
InTenSity
NigelUno
CheesySpartan
goodbar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
Hurricane Izzo
MattyFresh
Cameron
42 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by tGreenWay 2020-08-25, 20:31

The Pantry wrote:The origin of the English word "delicatessen" traces back through German, French...and ultimately to Italian.

Definition
a shop that sells food such as cooked meat, cheese, and food from other countries

Origin and usage
The word delicatessen was first used in the US in the late 19th century to refer to prepared foods for sale. It was then extended to refer to the shop where such foods could be bought. Delicatessen came into English from the German ‘Delikatessen’, the plural of ‘Delikatesse’ meaning ‘a delicacy, fine food’. German borrowed the word from the French ‘délicatesse’ which was itself borrowed from the Italian ‘delicatezza’. The informal short form deli started to be used in print in the mid 20th century, although it had probably been in use in speech for some time.

You’re the biggest food enthusiast I know, Pantry, so here’s a question for you: When you’re not eating, how much of your day is spent thinking about eating?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by Cameron 2020-08-25, 21:55

The Pantry wrote:The origin of the English word "delicatessen" traces back through German, French...and ultimately to Italian.

Definition
a shop that sells food such as cooked meat, cheese, and food from other countries

Origin and usage
The word delicatessen was first used in the US in the late 19th century to refer to prepared foods for sale. It was then extended to refer to the shop where such foods could be bought. Delicatessen came into English from the German ‘Delikatessen’, the plural of ‘Delikatesse’ meaning ‘a delicacy, fine food’. German borrowed the word from the French ‘délicatesse’ which was itself borrowed from the Italian ‘delicatezza’. The informal short form deli started to be used in print in the mid 20th century, although it had probably been in use in speech for some time.
Every time I hear that word, I think of this scene from Scrubs:

Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-08-26, 17:29

tGreenWay wrote:

Definition

Origin and usage

You’re the biggest food enthusiast I know, Pantry, so here’s a question for you: When you’re not eating, how much of your day is spent thinking about eating?
Not eating so much as good tasting food.  Quality, not quantity.  Was watching a Food Network show about delicatessens yesterday.  The show claimed the word was derived from German.  Research took it back to Italy via France.

Yeah, I think about food quite a bit.  Ordered a burger yesterday for curbside pickup from a nearby restaurant WBH has been to.  Wasn't until biting into it at home remembered I'd had a burger from there before.  Burger itself is great (perfect medium-rare) but their hamburger buns take the flavor way off course.  Sent them an email suggestion today.
_________

Big fan of the restaurant.  Love your food in general but have a suggestion regarding the burgers.  The brioche buns are really sweet.  Could you please start offering an option that is less sweet?  Plain, sourdough or sesame seed bun?  Onion or kaiser roll?  Will advise against a pretzel bun because those are usually too sweet also.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-28, 13:30

Today I learned that the FBI was formed as a result of a racist and misogynistic conspiracy theory about white sex slavery that resulted in the Mann Act, a federal law prohibiting the transfer of women across state lines for “immoral purposes.”

It’s turtles all the way down, motherfuckers.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-08-28, 16:35

Rocinante wrote:Today I learned that the FBI was formed as a result of a racist and misogynistic conspiracy theory about white sex slavery that resulted in the Mann Act, a federal law prohibiting the transfer of women across state lines for “immoral purposes.”  

Link? 

Was having a discussion with my now adult daughter today about the po po and she claimed they were started to police slaves. I was skeptical, but her point has some merit. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/4779112/police-history-origins/%3famp=true
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-28, 21:45

Just Wikipedia the Mann Act.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-08-28, 22:18

Rocinante wrote:Just Wikipedia the Mann Act.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 2599972566

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 20200814
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-08-28, 22:30

Nordic wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Today I learned that the FBI was formed as a result of a racist and misogynistic conspiracy theory about white sex slavery that resulted in the Mann Act, a federal law prohibiting the transfer of women across state lines for “immoral purposes.”  

Link? 

Was having a discussion with my now adult daughter today about the po po and she claimed they were started to police slaves. I was skeptical, but her point has some merit. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/4779112/police-history-origins/%3famp=true

Very good read
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-08-29, 01:38

Goddammit Nordy.
Here:
When Congress passed the Mann Act in June 1910, the Bureau had only sixty-one special agents on its payroll. Though its jurisdiction was national, in practice those agents were based in Washington, DC, and their sphere of activity centered on the mid-Atlantic states on the Eastern seaboard. Based on the vast mandate within the Mann Act the Bureau expanded rapidly. Not only did it have a new jurisdiction—Americans’ sexual behavior—but to enforce the law it also had to establish itself throughout the country, setting up field offices and local representatives in each state.

The FBI’s enforcement of the Mann Act acted as a bulwark in defense of traditional gender roles at a time when American women were experiencing incredible social and political change. By federalizing the fight against prostitution, the Bureau sought to protect American daughters from being lured into brothels, thus retaining their chastity for marriage.

The double standard of sexuality, which allowed men’s promiscuity while severely restricting women’s sexual behavior to marriage, shaped early-twentieth-century conceptions of victimhood, protection, and morality as well. The Bureau’s Mann Act investigations reflected this double standard. In choosing some victims to protect, while ignoring the fate of other women seeking aid, the Bureau reinforced this double standard. The Bureau consistently advocated on behalf of women who shared the same constellation of characteristics: they were white, young, and had reputations for being previously chaste. Sex workers who did not fit this narrow mold frequently found themselves subjected to state surveillance and punitive intervention. In the early twentieth-century, racialized conceptions of morality excluded nonwhite women from the category of the sexually virtuous. When African American women turned to the Bureau for help, they rarely received it.

https://www.popmatters.com/187363-policing-sexuality-the-mann-act-and-the-making-of-the-fbi-2495599155.html?rebelltpage=2#rebelltitem2

And it barely gets into how the law was used to prosecute black men who dated whites women. See Jack Johnson - Unforgivable Blackness for a great watch and a lesson on the Mann Act.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-30, 15:16

TIL Hondo Carpenter no longer covers Michigan State, nor lives in Michigan. Got a gig covering the Raiders in Vegas. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 2275418548

What’s the o/u on number of days it takes before he’s punched in the face by Gruden or a player?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-10-30, 15:29

tGreenWay wrote:TIL Hondo Carpenter no longer covers Michigan State, nor lives in Michigan. Got a gig covering the Raiders in Vegas. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 2275418548

What’s the o/u on number of days it takes before he’s punched in the face by Gruden or a player?

Finally, our long nightmare is over.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-10-30, 15:40

tGreenWay wrote:TIL Hondo Carpenter no longer covers Michigan State, nor lives in Michigan. Got a gig covering the Raiders in Vegas. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 2275418548

If there was a "Like so much I'd dry hump it" button, I would click that motherfucker...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

tGreenWay and gomersbro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-10-30, 15:41

He is sooo fucked in the real world. He'll be back by the end of the season. (shit canned and slinking back to the relative safety of mid-Michigan.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-10-30, 15:49

there goes the Vegas buffet industry's profit margin.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, tGreenWay and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-30, 15:53

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

If there was a "Like so much I'd dry hump it" button, I would click that motherfucker...

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-30, 16:03

AvgMSUJoe wrote:He is sooo fucked in the real world. He'll be back by the end of the season. (shit canned and slinking back to the relative safety of mid-Michigan.)

My thought, as well. Let’s hope he falls in love with the desert and decides to open a ministry to the sinful high rollers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-10-30, 16:14

A little googling shows that Hondo's former spartannation.com links to a Sports Illustrated now site - titled Spartan Nation.  Most all of the content is posted by a married couple, McLain and Leslie Moberg.  And they have posted a lot of articles.  From their bios - he is an MSU alum (graduated 2020) she says claims to have "bled green and white since birth." 

I do see that Hondo just posted something about the MSU-UM game 10 minutes ago.

Not that I actually read any of it.  You have to register (it says it's free) and I really don't care enough to do that.

FWIW, I also see that Hondo runs - Hondo Carpenter Ministries.  

Hondo S. Carpenter, Sr. is a unique minister with a unique ministry. His simple and easily understood teaching style makes even what many consider complicated, easy to understand. An ordained minister, Carpenter has served as a youth pastor, a senior pastor and traveling the globe speaking in churches, crusades, conferences, school assemblies and much more. Speaking to both the well known and unknown, the message never changes!

Last edited by MSU addict on 2020-10-30, 16:32; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-10-30, 16:20

He spoke in the crusades?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-30, 16:23

A "youth pastor"? Was there any mention of him leading a boy scout troop?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-30, 16:35

The Pantry wrote:A "youth pastor"? Was there any mention of him leading a boy scout troop?

It was a children’s play and he dressed up as Little Bo Peep. Volunteered for it, actually, because it the only costume that came in pink.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-10-30, 16:56

I put in my MSU Spartan Win prayer request.

https://www.hondocarpenter.com/prayer-requests/
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and MSU addict like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-30, 17:04

Nordic wrote:I put in my MSU Spartan Win prayer request.

Smart thinking. We need every advantage.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-30, 17:06

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 1966794946 tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 1550444538
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-10-30, 17:46

Note to board: He takes donations...

I will donate $20 to hondo if msu wins tomorrow.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-10-30, 18:13

AvgMSUJoe wrote:He is sooo fucked in the real world. He'll be back by the end of the season. (shit canned and slinking back to the relative safety of mid-Michigan.)

FTLOG, did anyone look at his body of work for more than 10 seconds before signing him?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-10-31, 15:47

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

So.... You guys gonna hold me to this? It is fuckin hondo after all...
I'll have to get a throw away credit card...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-11, 19:10

I know, I know, you all were told that there would be no math, but Today I Learned....

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-11, 19:15

MiamiSpartan wrote:I know, I know, you all were told that there would be no math, but Today I Learned....

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321

That's funny. I was just messing around with that on my old Bowmar Brain.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-11, 19:19

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

So.... You guys gonna hold me to this? It is fuckin hondo after all...
I'll have to get a throw away credit card...

There are plenty of options to use where Hondo wouldn’t be paid directly with your credit card. Pay him or don’t, IDC. However, if anyone here thinks you might be messing with Spartan football juju, then you might need to fork it over.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-11, 19:26

TIL that buttload is an actual unit of measurement.

https://commonplacefacts.wordpress.com/2020/02/05/a-buttload-is-an-actual-unit-of-measurement/amp/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-22, 16:59

Bhutan is the only carbon-negative country in the world. Feel free to use that little nugget at your next cocktail party.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-22, 17:08

Floyd Robertson wrote:Bhutan is the only carbon-negative country in the world. Feel free to use that little nugget at your next cocktail party.

IIRC, it’s also widely considered one of the happiest places on earth. Maybe that’s because of all the phallus worship.

There, that’s two more little nuggets for your cocktail party.
Two nuggets... phallus....tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-22, 17:16

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Bhutan is the only carbon-negative country in the world. Feel free to use that little nugget at your next cocktail party.

IIRC, it’s also widely considered one of the happiest places on earth. Maybe that’s because of all the phallus worship.

Two nuggets... phallus....tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 1494614055

Bhutan taking care of the twigs and berries.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-11-22, 18:14

tGreenWay wrote:

Sure it is happy - if you ignore the ethnic cleansing, lack of religious freedom, poverty, shortages of food and medicine and that homosexuality is a crime.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-11-22, 18:51

tGreenWay wrote:TIL that buttload is an actual unit of measurement.

https://commonplacefacts.wordpress.com/2020/02/05/a-buttload-is-an-actual-unit-of-measurement/amp/

That's awesome. I use the term often.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-19, 20:04

Today I learned Japanese researchers have discovered a sea slug that can sever its own head and grow a new body with all the needed vital organs within three weeks.
The reason a slug would sever its head from its body is because it’s infected with parasites. The newly generated body would be parasite free and grows everything but a head.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03/this-sea-slug-can-lose-its-head-and-regenerate-new-body-in-three-weeks/?amp=1
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-03-19, 21:03

tGreenWay wrote:Today I learned Japanese researchers have discovered a sea slug that can sever its own head and grow a new body with all the needed vital organs within three weeks.
The reason a slug would sever its head from its body is because it’s infected with parasites. The newly generated body would be parasite free and grows everything but a head.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03/this-sea-slug-can-lose-its-head-and-regenerate-new-body-in-three-weeks/?amp=1
This is the beginning science of me regrowing my liver.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-19, 21:06

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Today I learned Japanese researchers have discovered a sea slug that can sever its own head and grow a new body with all the needed vital organs within three weeks.

You’ll probably need that new liver many more times in the future. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 2267303065
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-03-19, 21:18

tGreenWay wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

You’ll probably need that new liver many more times in the future. tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread  - Page 10 2267303065
pandemic... Amiright???
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-03-19, 21:22

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

pandemic... Amiright???

Exactly!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next